The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Synths for sale     Latest  Trending
Arturia Microfreak Experimental Hybrid Synthesizer
Old 4th September 2019
  #1711
Here for the gear
 

That's weird, today I turned on the unit and it looks like all the presets I made yesterday are gone. I saved at the beginning of memory banks, so on spots 1,2,3... I turned off memory protection for default preset and yesterday I could move between those, yet now they are gone. All defaults are back.

Any extra hoop to jump in order to keep presets?
Old 5th September 2019
  #1712
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaman View Post
That's weird, today I turned on the unit and it looks like all the presets I made yesterday are gone. I saved at the beginning of memory banks, so on spots 1,2,3... I turned off memory protection for default preset and yesterday I could move between those, yet now they are gone. All defaults are back.

Any extra hoop to jump in order to keep presets?
That does suck, and shouldn’t happen. Are you certain you saved them before turning off? I found the patch save function a little unintuitive at first.

Safest bet (annoying, but it works) is to export the patches to your computer with Arturia’s MIDI Control Center.
Old 5th September 2019
  #1713
Lives for gear
 
apessino's Avatar
I think this little synth is by far the most interesting, most musical and unique instrument you can get today for under $300.

The sum of its part is so much more than it appears at first glance - unexpectedly brilliant bit of gear.
Old 5th September 2019
  #1714
Lives for gear
 

Agreed!
Old 6th September 2019
  #1715
Gear Head
Wouldn’t it be lovely if Arturia included a optional Oscilloscope? I mean, the display is clearly capable.

Why not?

I bought a MicroFreak about three weeks after the launch, and while I’ve had some problems saving patches and come across the occasional 3 or 4 glitchy presets, I’ve found it to be quite refreshing. The Cycling Envelope is a great addition. The sound engines are awesome (not a fan of the speech, though who is?).

Regardless, it would be really nice to see an update from Arturia.

Has anyone else had any luck recording an arpeggio into the sequencer?
Old 6th September 2019
  #1716
Gear Maniac
 
Synthient Sound's Avatar
Is there any way to keep the display on instead of it auto-shutting off while you are using it?
Old 6th September 2019
  #1717
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synthient Sound View Post
Is there any way to keep the display on instead of it auto-shutting off while you are using it?
It shuts off after a timed period of not using any knobs, I forget whether that timer can be adjusted in the Utility menu. If not, it should be. The original goal as I recall the discussion was to save the OLED from shortened lifespan.
Old 6th September 2019
  #1718
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeakADSR View Post
Wouldn’t it be lovely if Arturia included a optional Oscilloscope? I mean, the display is clearly capable.

Why not?

I bought a MicroFreak about three weeks after the launch, and while I’ve had some problems saving patches and come across the occasional 3 or 4 glitchy presets, I’ve found it to be quite refreshing. The Cycling Envelope is a great addition. The sound engines are awesome (not a fan of the speech, though who is?).

Regardless, it would be really nice to see an update from Arturia.

Has anyone else had any luck recording an arpeggio into the sequencer?
The manual says, hold shift while tapping A or B on the gold arpeggiator/sequencer buttons, but I'm not confident it always works. I've had arpeggiations I made I really liked, tried to save according to instructions and had them just go away. Probably just have to get the hang of it.
Old 7th September 2019
  #1719
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeakADSR View Post
Wouldn’t it be lovely if Arturia included a optional Oscilloscope? I mean, the display is clearly capable.

Why not?

I bought a MicroFreak about three weeks after the launch, and while I’ve had some problems saving patches and come across the occasional 3 or 4 glitchy presets, I’ve found it to be quite refreshing. The Cycling Envelope is a great addition. The sound engines are awesome (not a fan of the speech, though who is?).

Regardless, it would be really nice to see an update from Arturia.

Has anyone else had any luck recording an arpeggio into the sequencer?
@ PeakADSR , update on this: I can save a sequence while playing any of the factory patches, _temporarily_, the way I described, and it persists until I scroll away from the patch.

The trick is to remember whether you have factory patches memory set to protected, or not.

Otherwise, if you're making a sequence in the default user spaces, and there's no memory protect on, it saves just fine, the way the manual describes.
Old 9th September 2019
  #1720
Here for the gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by realtrance View Post
That does suck, and shouldn’t happen. Are you certain you saved them before turning off? I found the patch save function a little unintuitive at first.

Safest bet (annoying, but it works) is to export the patches to your computer with Arturia’s MIDI Control Center.
Bha, I got a lemon, smoke from the USB port, yesterday I was "electrocuted" by the capacitive keyboard

Arturia already has proposed me an RMA, they've been supportive.
Well I'm sending it back to the seller as it should be faster, yet it kinda works with AC power (sometimes it does not, but hey, it is what it is, problems happens and the important thing is they are dealing with it fine).
Old 9th September 2019
  #1721
Gear Nut
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaman View Post
Bha, I got a lemon, smoke from the USB port, yesterday I was "electrocuted" by the capacitive keyboard

Arturia already has proposed me an RMA, they've been supportive.
Well I'm sending it back to the seller as it should be faster, yet it kinda works with AC power (sometimes it does not, but hey, it is what it is, problems happens and the important thing is they are dealing with it fine).
the few times i've contacted arturia support they've responded super fast.. on par with novation. can't say the same for korg!
Old 10th September 2019
  #1722
Here for the gear
 

Is there a way to remember last patch??
Old 10th September 2019
  #1723
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoingBoomTjack View Post
Is there a way to remember last patch??
Your brain... kidding ;-)
Old 10th September 2019
  #1724
Gear Nut
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrJustice View Post
The sequencer and arpeggiator are two exclusive modes. It works fine the way mobe is describing.


Yes, that's probably how most would do it, but the uF's arp works whichever sequence you choose for those operations.


Perhaps we'll hear back from @ mobe - could be it's working over there by now(?)
Yes, it does (I'm a bit late, sorry for that

The problem was the way how my MF was setup, initially causing a midi loop, yikes.

Luckily the solution is simple, I had to turn off the output destination in the utility menu (set it to None) on the MF:

Otherwise the synths would receive and send midi back to the DAW. I'm kinda impressed that it didn't shut down under the load or something.

Anyway, I also found out, that in order to record a sequence coming from the MF in your DAW, the DAW must be set to not send any midi data.

So for example in Ableton I'd handle that in the External INstrument
by setting "Midi to" = "No output"

And forget to bring back the output destination of the mF to whatever it was before (USB/midi).
Old 10th September 2019
  #1725
Gear Nut
 

Here's a little "trick", if you can call it that.

Just like the chord engine, I'm using the step sequencer to play and sequence static chords. With the added feature that I can now play about any 4 note chord.

1. enter the chord into the MF sequencer
2. (can't recall atm) but you need to switch off the utility -> output destination
3. DAW/external sequencer: sequence a couple of notes, hit transport
4. the MF should play and transpose the chord automatically

This also works locally.

sweet
Old 3 weeks ago
  #1726
Lives for gear
 
telecode's Avatar
Hello.. anyone had a chance to compare the Skulpt to the MicroFreak? Any posts or thoughts are welcome.
Old 3 weeks ago
  #1727
Here for the gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by realtrance View Post
On a Mac, right?

Update: I changed a few default MIDI options on the MF, primarily, setting it to using USB MIDI only, no MIDI Thru or Merge, I/O on Channel 2.

Don’t know which did the trick, but the MF communicates with MCC just fine on my Mac now after that.
Appreciate you posting this. Was having the same issues and getting frustrated as [email protected]#$ until I tried your suggestion.
Old 3 weeks ago
  #1728
Lives for gear
 

Thanks, no problem!
Old 2 weeks ago
  #1729
Gear Maniac
 
Synthient Sound's Avatar
While programming patches in my MicroFreak, I decided to see how a few of them would sound in a song and came up with this. It uses EZ Drummer 2 and my Telecaster, but other than that, it is all MicroFreak along with Valhalla plugins.

I've really been enjoying the MicroFreak and have been surprised by what I can push it to do.

Old 2 weeks ago
  #1730
Lives for gear
 
Jpro600k's Avatar
 

The first track



The all sound is Arturia Microfreak.
my first track.

An incredible synthesizer.
It is really amazing.
Old 2 weeks ago
  #1731
Lives for gear
 
time_zone's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpro600k View Post


The all sound is Arturia Microfreak.
my first track.

An incredible synthesizer.
It is really amazing.
Thanks ! Did you use any sound processing or fx in this track ?
Old 2 weeks ago
  #1732
Lives for gear
 
Jpro600k's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by time_zone View Post
Thanks ! Did you use any sound processing or fx in this track ?
Hi,time_zone

Delay and Reverb ---> Use to add depth and spread
Maximizer---> Use for Sound clarity
Add a little flanger
Adding a volume difference for each tone

I think it's a normal process flow.

Preset 7 Brd But Arp ---> Arp Off
Change Type to Modal.
Change Decay to long time.
Change Filter Amt.
Play with the image of a guitar stroke.

Most users will want to edit based on presets for their favorite sounds.
Since you don't know the nature of the sound, turning off the arpeggiator and sequence makes it much easier to create the sound.

It has nothing to do with the technique of this track,
It is a good technique to remember that the sound disappears when you touch your fingertip and slowly push it down to the first joint of your finger.
The keyboard response is also amazing.
Old 2 weeks ago
  #1733
Lives for gear
 
Jpro600k's Avatar
 

Someone may have written it before, but just in case.
If you do not hear sound, increase the Filter Amount value.
It will appear. ex)Preset25 808 St8 M8

The default value is 60%,keyboard sensitivity 100% is so nice!
With the touch and release of your fingertips, you can easily express the bouncing sound.
The movement of your fingertips is also reflected in the sound characteristics.
Old 2 weeks ago
  #1734
Lives for gear
 
breakmixer's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synthient Sound View Post
While programming patches in my MicroFreak, I decided to see how a few of them would sound in a song and came up with this. It uses EZ Drummer 2 and my Telecaster, but other than that, it is all MicroFreak along with Valhalla plugins.

I've really been enjoying the MicroFreak and have been surprised by what I can push it to do.

Nice work, the sounds are great - I'm really considering one of these but think they may bring the Megafreak to market eventually. But it seems great bang for buck and I've so far managed to pass up on it. I'm not a rock guy but that demo sounds amazingly good and I liked it...it was a pleasant listen.
Old 2 weeks ago
  #1735
Gear Maniac
 
paturn's Avatar
 

So ive noticed that utility preset setting dont actually save with the patch. Ie. theres a few patches that i want the env to be retriggered so i make the change in utility-preset , save then when i go back to the patch after powercycling or going to a different patch the changes arent saved. Memory protect is off etc.. Anyone else had this issue?
Old 2 weeks ago
  #1736
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by paturn View Post
So ive noticed that utility preset setting dont actually save with the patch. Ie. theres a few patches that i want the env to be retriggered so i make the change in utility-preset , save then when i go back to the patch after powercycling or going to a different patch the changes arent saved. Memory protect is off etc.. Anyone else had this issue?
Remember that Memory Protect can be set off for all, or just for user presets.

Make sure if you're working with a factory patch that you have the factory patches unprotected, too.
Old 2 weeks ago
  #1737
Lives for gear
 
Jpro600k's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by paturn View Post
So ive noticed that utility preset setting dont actually save with the patch. Ie. theres a few patches that i want the env to be retriggered so i make the change in utility-preset , save then when i go back to the patch after powercycling or going to a different patch the changes arent saved. Memory protect is off etc.. Anyone else had this issue?
Use MIDI Control Center
Connect to Computer via USB
Launch MIDI Control Center
DEVICE Tab >Memory Protection >select OFF

or

Push Utility button --->Select Misc --->Select Mem protect off
Old 2 weeks ago
  #1738
Lives for gear
 
Polymooger's Avatar
Had a weird fault/issue with mine tonight. Suddenly whilst playing an init patch it went a semi-tone flat across the keyboard. Touching the pitch strip in the center restored it to proper pitch, but after maybe 30-60s it would drop flat again. The fault persisted after power cycles.

Did a settings reset via the utility menu and that seemed to fix it so that's okay, just can't work out why it did this. That doesn't mean it wasn't user error, I just can't figure it out
Old 2 weeks ago
  #1739
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polymooger View Post
Had a weird fault/issue with mine tonight. Suddenly whilst playing an init patch it went a semi-tone flat across the keyboard. Touching the pitch strip in the center restored it to proper pitch, but after maybe 30-60s it would drop flat again. The fault persisted after power cycles.

Did a settings reset via the utility menu and that seemed to fix it so that's okay, just can't work out why it did this. That doesn't mean it wasn't user error, I just can't figure it out
Weird. Haven’t had that yet.

I think there’s AI in the MF that lets it decide whether it likes you or not, depending on how you treat it.

Be sure to give it proper care and feeding!
Old 2 weeks ago
  #1740
Lives for gear
 
Jpro600k's Avatar
 

In many ways
Experimental Hybrid Synthesizer
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump