The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Synths for sale     Latest  Trending
Arturia Microfreak Experimental Hybrid Synthesizer
Old 13th August 2019
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by retrigger View Post
My Wave Knob jumps back at something around 40% time to time. Tried USB power and DC from the wall. Newest firmware... any thoghts?
I am answering myself here, because I found out what was the problem. Mine wasn't exactly the little freak, but my midi keyboard which was sending cc data time to time.

So, I finally took my time to get used to the little keyboard and I have to say it was worth it!
Old 13th August 2019
Jesus, Im selling mine tomorrow
Old 13th August 2019
I've been advised by Arturia to return my Microfreak for a repair or replacement.
I'm not really impressed, I've only had it since May and it's been used sparingly in a home studio.
Old 13th August 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisso View Post
I've been advised by Arturia to return my Microfreak for a repair or replacement.
I'm not really impressed, I've only had it since May and it's been used sparingly in a home studio.
give'em a chance ffs..
this sounds like an active sensing problem - viz post above re: midi kb.
i recently discovered my cheapo midi kb was sending out all sorts of s***.
active sensing and double program change messages.

what happens if you send it volume CC7? i know you said you tried the volume.
hope you get it sorted because this looks like an interesting little synth.
Old 13th August 2019
Err, I don't have it hooked up to any midi.
I've been using it standalone. I've also reset it more than once.
Arturia support advice was to send it back for repair/replacement, not could I check the midi or midi control.
Old 13th August 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
Arturia support advice was to send it back for repair/replacement, not could I check the midi or midi control.
yep my issues were standalone as well. returned mine for now. i did really like the synth, however. hopefully they can put out a 2nd firmware update that stops these remaining bugs. every synth is expected to have one or 2 quirks/bugs.. but this thing still has a few too many imo.
Old 13th August 2019
I've had mine for three months, so doubt I can return it for a different product or refund.
Old 13th August 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
I've had mine for three months, so doubt I can return it for a different product or refund.
maybe send it back for repairs then sell it. or see if they are willing to exchange for something else? when i dealt both with mackie and nektar i had 2 products with inherent design flaws and they offered to send me back a completely different item (around the same price) .. see if arturia will send you back a microbrute instead
Old 13th August 2019
Lives for gear

I don’t see hundreds or thousands of people online with this issue, or any others.

So yes, as usual, a few people show up on Internet forums to complain about their defective units.

Send it back for repair, or if you don’t like it, get a refund. It’s not that complicated.
Old 13th August 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by realtrance View Post
I don’t see hundreds or thousands of people online with this issue, or any others.

So yes, as usual, a few people show up on Internet forums to complain about their defective units.

Send it back for repair, or if you don’t like it, get a refund. It’s not that complicated.
my issue definitely seems to be a bug rather than a defective unit. i've experienced a few other bugs as well (less of an issue to me than the lfo motion sequencing one) but yes you're right.. simple return after 2 days of annoyance i'm not going to pay to beta test a rushed product no matter how cool it is
Old 13th August 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
mmm. weird. ok so it has 'bugged', back it goes. gives them a chance to work out what the issue is, and maybe they'll just send you a fresh replacement.

wonder if that onboard sensor keyboard has anything to do with it.
Old 13th August 2019
Here for the gear

oh man... I got more bugs today, bugs that weren't there yesterday, when I was dealing with bugs that weren't there the day before... I think the thing is very sensitive to power fluctuations. That is a major problem, when you think about how AC is in venues and festival stages.

I wish I could return mine "easily", but I live far away, that would be like... 6 months withtout mine and a high probability of paying extra import taxes when they return it... I guess im done with Arturia.
Old 13th August 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by retrigger View Post
oh man... I got more bugs today, bugs that weren't there yesterday, when I was dealing with bugs that weren't there the day before... I think the thing is very sensitive to power fluctuations. That is a major problem, when you think about how AC is in venues and festival stages.

I wish I could return mine "easily", but I live far away, that would be like... 6 months withtout mine and a high probability of paying extra import taxes when they return it... I guess im done with Arturia.
You can use USB as a power source. Possible though highly unlikely problem solved.
Old 13th August 2019
Gear Maniac
so 54 pages into this and it seems arturia has released a cool synth with lots of 'bugs"
at least they are consistent
compare this to the way novation handles problems and firmware upgrades
Old 13th August 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by controlled_volts View Post
so 54 pages into this and it seems arturia has released a cool synth with lots of 'bugs"
well to be fair the bs2 had bugs and questionable feature omissions that took years to be addressed . though it seems as of late they are the gold standard of firmware updates and support
Old 14th August 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
"Lots"? Please enumerate.
Old 14th August 2019
Gear Maniac
Quote:
"Lots"? Please enumerate.
you tell me sunshine
you must be the owner of a perfectly functioning one!
hooray
Old 14th August 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
you tell me sunshine
you must be the owner of a perfectly functioning one!
hooray
yeh there are far too many people reporting bugs on this. he's got his fingers in his ears. i'm more willing to bet he just hasn't noticed any due to the specific features/way he uses his machine . i can get the lfo rate motion recording bug to reproduce almost at will .. but if you never motion record lfo rate changes you'll never encounter it
Old 14th August 2019
Lives for gear

The vast majority of “issues” I have seen reported online have to do with user error, and failure to understanding the (very basic) ins and outs of MIDI.

It’s true, the current generation of musicians needs more help with this, as they’re used to a plug-and-go approach that requires little understanding.

The other side of it is that sure, Arturia like some other very big companies’ products probably have more work to do on their side with correcting MIDI mappings, avoiding use of standard MIDI CCs for non-standard purposes, etc. Moog also does the same work with their Moog One, which has literally thousands of MIDI parameters to choose from for mapping, to CCs or NRPNs, etc.

And of course there are a few defective units out there, though not more than usual.

I call BS on any more apocalyptic hysteria about all this.

Meanwhile, I suspect Arturia like the rest of the EU are busy either with their traditional August vacation, or dodging the extremely unusual heat (again) this summer.

Check back in a month or two to see when the next round of bug fixes and updates occur. The synth is barely out of version 1.0.

If you’re very anxious about buying a version 1.0 of something?...... wait. There’s this thing called patience.
Old 14th August 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:

Check back in a month or two to see when the next round of bug fixes and updates occur. The synth is barely out of version 1.0.

If you’re very anxious about buying a version 1.0 of something?...... wait. There’s this thing called patience.
i don't think it's unreasonable to expect a product that works as advertised. no doubt arturia rushed this one out due to the hype and over ambitiousness of the product. it's a cheap and easy to sell product though, ez decision for anyone not happy with their purchase instead of keeping a product that frustrates them
Old 14th August 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by wentzelitis View Post
i don't think it's unreasonable to expect a product that works as advertised. no doubt arturia rushed this one out due to the hype and over ambitiousness of the product. it's a cheap and easy to sell product though, ez decision for anyone not happy with their purchase instead of keeping a product that frustrates them
It works as advertised. There wasn’t much hype, if any, just a lot of enthusiasm; my bet is that it’s already far exceeded Arturia’s expectations, perhaps to a slightly overwhelming degree. It’s not overambitious at all, rather a smart and unique move, giving stuff to people they’ve been clamoring for for decades: poly aftertouch, touch keyboard.

It’s pretty! Both in looks and sound. Incredibly light, compact, flexible.

From my recollection, it’s been in the works for quite awhile.

If anything, I’m worried a 49-key, 24-voice version may be on the way. With dual filters, and an even more awesome sequencer.

Return yours, and wait for that.

Oh I meant to say: thanks, Victor, for your fantastic plants collection for the MF! I make arpeggiating any of those a wonderful way of starting up my musical day with a little meditation.
Old 14th August 2019
Gear Addict

I bought a MF last week, so I've spent quite a lot of time recently getting into it. As a touch sequencer for controlling external CV gear alone it's worth the cash. The synth engines were just an added bonus, but I spent hours last night having fun using the modulation matrix on the wavetable and KS stuff and created stuff I'll use in tracks. I got a handle on the menus within a short time and the firmware update was easy to do.

I have noticed a few glitches - one where a Preset kept on jumping back to one engine, but I found a way around it. I'd also be wary of the type of MIDI CC data the synth sends via USB - realtrance is right to point out that a lot of users don't have a full understanding of MIDI. I also think that the PSU can create noise with other devices with similar cheap PSU's, but hooked into my main Mackie mixer it was fine and I didn't need a DI box.

Honestly, I've had other Arturia gear with issues, so I'm wise to the cons of budget synths, but for £265 this is a really exceptional sound creation tool for making music. It's not the most robust thing, but I like to think of it as being the EDP Wasp of 2019 - maybe a future classic?
Old 14th August 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
It works as advertised. There wasn’t much hype, if any, just a lot of enthusiasm; my bet is that it’s already far exceeded Arturia’s expectations, perhaps to a slightly overwhelming degree. It’s not overambitious at all, rather a smart and unique move, giving stuff to people they’ve been clamoring for for decades: poly aftertouch, touch keyboard.

It’s pretty! Both in looks and sound. Incredibly light, compact, flexible.

From my recollection, it’s been in the works for quite awhile.

If anything, I’m worried a 49-key, 24-voice version may be on the way. With dual filters, and an even more awesome sequencer.

Return yours, and wait for that.

Oh I meant to say: thanks, Victor, for your fantastic plants collection for the MF! I make arpeggiating any of those a wonderful way of starting up my musical day with a little meditation.
as i've already stated numerous times (you definitely have some sort of filter for ignoring things) i have already returned mine. only took me 2 days of experiencing bugs with most recent firmware to decide. not paying to beta test and hope they fix all the issues (yes there are a lot, even as you continue to deny people are posting theirs here) . maybe they'll get it right with their mk2 like they do with their other products
Old 14th August 2019
Lives for gear

It’s true it behaves best when you feed it from its own, well-grounded power source, separate from other units; it’s sensitive to electrical noise, an inevitability with touchplate instruments, which have to be very sensitive to capacitive changes to function well. I’ve seen a number of problems mentioned that have to do with that, or ground loops. Probably also accounts for the jumpy pot values, too. Also for the choice of balanced output connection. All unusual electrical factors for a synth in this format.
Old 14th August 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
It’s true it behaves best when you feed it from its own, well-grounded power source, separate from other units; it’s sensitive to electrical noise, an inevitability with touchplate instruments, which have to be very sensitive to capacitive changes to function well. I’ve seen a number of problems mentioned that have to do with that, or ground loops. Probably also accounts for the jumpy pot values, too. Also for the choice of balanced output connection. All unusual electrical factors for a synth in this format.
even if this were the case for all of the bugs and issues (it's not, as much as you want to deny the bugs i experienced can be isolated to occur even without power
or connection flaws) .. arturia should have known and planned for this while releasing a budget synth designed for the masses who would be using a wall outlet in their home or usb power bank (which they advertise!)
Old 14th August 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Meanwhile, I suspect Arturia like the rest of the EU are busy either with their traditional August vacation, or dodging the extremely unusual heat (again) this summer.
Actually they've been knocking out loads of firmware updates for their older gear.
I only found out because I wanted to change some settings on my BSP using the Midi Control Center which I rarely use.
The thing is its only when you plug in your gear you find out there is an update
I plugged in my other Arturia products and everyone had a firmware update even the Keystep who saw that one coming
So yeah they've been busy they just don't like to tell, maybe its a French thing
Old 14th August 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by AceNoir View Post
Actually they've been knocking out loads of firmware updates for their older gear.
I only found out because I wanted to change some settings on my BSP using the Midi Control Center which I rarely use.
The thing is its only when you plug in your gear you find out there is an update
I plugged in my other Arturia products and everyone had a firmware update even the Keystep who saw that one coming
So yeah they've been busy they just don't like to tell, maybe its a French thing
Yes I'm sure they have a schedule for it all. All in good time; you can't rush a good meal.
Old 14th August 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by wentzelitis View Post
even if this were the case for all of the bugs and issues (it's not, as much as you want to deny the bugs i experienced can be isolated to occur even without power
or connection flaws) .. arturia should have known and planned for this while releasing a budget synth designed for the masses who would be using a wall outlet in their home or usb power bank (which they advertise!)
Yes why don't you fly to France right now, I'm sure there are some cheap summer fares, and go to Arturia to to tell them how to do everything the right way?

Write us a postcard to say how it went, don't forget!
Old 14th August 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Yes I'm sure they have a schedule for it all. All in good time; you can't rush a good meal.
Some would say that they already did.

I look forward to demoing one this year around the holidays.
Old 14th August 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
Yes why don't you fly to France right now, I'm sure there are some cheap summer fares, and go to Arturia to to tell them how to do everything the right way?

Write us a postcard to say how it went, don't forget!
what's wrong with you ? you remind me of a catty high school girl . i mean that in the sincerest way possible

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search