The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Synths for sale     Latest  Trending
Arturia Microfreak Experimental Hybrid Synthesizer
Old 29th July 2019
Here for the gear

MIDI issues?

I'm wondering if anyone has found fixes for any of the MIDI thru issues I've read about...

I have a brand new microfreak and have updated the firmware (latest as of July 29, 2019). I have also installed latest MIDI control centre.

The MIDI thru feature is not working properly, though. It is "ON" in MCC, and MIDI merge is set to merge USB+MIDI+KBD, but it only seems to pass MIDI from the USB to the MIDI out cable on the one channel which plays the microfreak itself.

Example setup: LIVE (Mac) > USB > Microfreak > MIDI cable > Vermona Lancet.

i.e. - if I set the MF and lancet to receive different MIDI channels, the data on the lancet's channel from Live will not reach it. But if I set them both to the same channel, then both will receive MIDI, (but only play in unison, obvs...).

This seems different (although not much better) than others' issues of midi thru simply not working at all...

Am running OS 10.10.5 if that makes a difference.

I have a midi interface so can switch the whole thing over to that as a workaround, but it would be great to have a setup without it. Thanks!
Old 30th July 2019
Here for the gear

well... got an email back from Arturia saying they replicated the issue (MIDI thru USB>MIDI Out only passing on the microfreak's assigned midi receive channel) and that no-one had spotted it before? Is *everyone* having the same problem?
Old 31st July 2019
Here for the gear

Apologies, just one other thing while I am here, if anyone else has had this, or for anyone skipping to the end of the thread - The clock sends a stop signal when I change patches to one without the Arp / Seq switched on.

So if I have, e.g. my Drumbrute downstream from the microfreak then I can't change patches during a song...

Maybe this is niggly? But it seems like madness, particularly for live performance. I can't figure out what the point of this feature is?

NB It does this, even when Seq/Arp is set not to send MIDI, and when "none" is selected for MIDI destination - it stops the clock to any MIDI thru device.
Old 2nd August 2019
Here for the gear

Hello gentlemen, new user here, I'm considering buying a MF and I'd like to post a couple of questions:

1. I use Ableton, when used with a DAW is there a way to register automation (knobs movements) as MIDI data in a track and send it back to the synth in playback?

2. Does the tempo of the unit synch with Ableton time?

3. As a beginner looking to have fun with a hw unit, would it be ok if I use a guitar multieffect (I even have on for bass in case) with it?

Thanks, cheers.
Old 2nd August 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaman View Post
Hello gentlemen, new user here,
Welcome to GS!

Quote:
I'm considering buying a MF and I'd like to post a couple of questions:

1. I use Ableton, when used with a DAW is there a way to register automation (knobs movements) as MIDI data in a track and send it back to the synth in playback?

2. Does the tempo of the unit synch with Ableton time?

3. As a beginner looking to have fun with a hw unit, would it be ok if I use a guitar multieffect (I even have on for bass in case) with it?

Thanks, cheers.
Yes, yes and yes
Old 2nd August 2019
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrJustice View Post
Welcome to GS!
Thanks, this looks like a nice community

Quote:
Yes, yes and yes
Whoot so I have no more excuses, I will have to get into physical synths as this MF checks all the boxes of my workflow. 4 voices, presets, MIDI, an intriguing keyboard, decent price.
Old 2nd August 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:

Whoot so I have no more excuses, I will have to get into physical synths as this MF checks all the boxes of my workflow. 4 voices, presets, MIDI, an intriguing keyboard, decent price.
It’s not truly 4 voices, but close
Old 3rd August 2019
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by drxcm View Post
It’s not truly 4 voices, but close
Ye I know, I'm reading the manual. Well at least I can throw some chords to it.
Old 3rd August 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
lol this is worthy of a signature surely...
Old 6th August 2019
Gear Addict

I have a question for the MF users. My brother just bought a MF. I think it's a really nice synth.

There is a strange problem though: with the power off and the output cable still plugged in there is noise/hum. When power is on the noise is gone. With other synths there is no noise when power is off.

Is this a known issue on the MF? If not there is something wrong with this specific unit and might have to return it.
Old 6th August 2019
Easier to unplug the output or 'mute' that channel than return the synth.
Old 6th August 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodde View Post
I have a question for the MF users. My brother just bought a MF. I think it's a really nice synth.

There is a strange problem though: with the power off and the output cable still plugged in there is noise/hum. When power is on the noise is gone. With other synths there is no noise when power is off.

Is this a known issue on the MF? If not there is something wrong with this specific unit and might have to return it.

Mine does exactly this. It's annoying.
Old 6th August 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by CathodeRay View Post
Yup, same here.
Old 6th August 2019
Gear Nut

Same here, seems to be an issue with the power supply. Whenever it is switched off I just drop it's mixer channel until I need it again
Old 6th August 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by CathodeRay View Post
Thank you all for the replies.
Since many (maybe all?) users have it can we assume it's a hardware problem?

At least now I know we don't have to return the synth if all units have that.
Old 6th August 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3picentre View Post
Same here, seems to be an issue with the power supply. Whenever it is switched off I just drop it's mixer channel until I need it again
Have you tried unpluppging the power supply to see if that makes a difference?

BTW, I'm not getting any noise when it's powered down. Could it be some kind of ground loop, I wonder(?).
Old 9th August 2019
Gear Addict

Just discovered today that the sequencer of the MF doesn't have a metronome! Why did Arturia made that choice?

How do you get your timing in sync without a metronome and using real time recording? Is there a workaround?
And is there a chance they will include this in a FW update?
Old 10th August 2019
Tbn
Gear Head

Quote:
How do you get your timing in sync without a metronome and using real time recording? Is there a workaround?
2 options:

1) Use a drumcomputer in sync with MF
2) insert a few marker notes on the whole beats using step recording. I prefer to use notes well out of the range of the sequence I want to put in ( very high notes for example) It is easy to overwrite those in real time recording, or edit them out using step edit after recording
Old 10th August 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbn View Post
2) insert a few marker notes on the whole beats using step recording. I prefer to use notes well out of the range of the sequence I want to put in ( very high notes for example) It is easy to overwrite those in real time recording, or edit them out using step edit after recording
That option was what I was thinking too. Still you have to know where the first beat starts so you have to program a different note on the first beat to recognize 'the one'. Also annoying if you do it this way that hear other notes while recording your sequence (might interfere with the key you play in). With a drum machine this is less an issue. You just program a hihat on the beat and later remove it.

Strange that they didn't include a simple metronome!
Old 11th August 2019
My Microfreak - which I only turn on about once or twice a week - has suddenly stopped emitting any sound, either from the main out of the headphone output. It is mute.
Everything else seems to be normal.
I downgraded to the original firmware and that changed nothing. I just upgraded back to the latest firmware, it's still silent. I went to 'Utility' and reset the synth settings.
Nada.

I went to the forum and a couple of people are having a similar issue. No help or advice from Arturia yet.
Old 11th August 2019
Lives for gear

?! Yikes. Mine is still going strong. I’m sorry to hear this.

Have you tried:

Going thru every single setting in Utility;

Making sure reset applies to everything on the synth, it defaults to just the user preset area;

Unplugging everything, including power supply, waiting a bit, then just plugging in headphones and power supply and turning on;

Turning all the pots to 0 and then loading a patch and seeing what it sounds like when you turn up the volume knob;

I would worry first about the power supply; I was astonished how cheaply made the PS was for my original Minibrute; the MF’s One is better, but I’d highly suspect variability there.

Worst case, it’s gotta be time either to get a replacement under refund or if it’s all just too frustrating, a refund.

Or you do a Pete Townsend on it and use it as a prop to smash to bits onstage during a performance.
Old 11th August 2019
Lives for gear

Checked the Arturia forum and only “funkycochise” is reporting this, though someone else seems to have lost their headphone output.

It’s not the firmware; I’ve been using latest with 1.1 factory bank, my own patches and the 32 “plants” presets by Victor Morello almost daily for awhile now, tweaking them all over the place.

Can you recall what you did before turning the MF off last time it didn’t go all John Cage on you?
Old 12th August 2019
Gear Nut

i just got one at a good price and immediately liked it way more than i thought i would. however i've been experiencing glitches since i've turned it on, unfortunately. even with the latest firmware. the most annoying and consistent is whenever i try to motion record the lfo rate it will often spaz out and reset itself to some low number while the screen glitches . this is really disappointing as my monologue and mono station have no issues recording lfo rate changes . the microfreak lfo rate recording will often work when i first turn it on.. but after i record an lfo rate change, delete it, try again.. or change patches it will resurface. turning it off and back on usually allows me to record the change i want before it quickly resurfaces again.. thinking about selling just due to low tolerance of bugs like this. shame cuz it seems so cool
Old 12th August 2019
I was reassembling my outboard patchbay, using the Microfreak sequencer as a sound source to make sure I patched the right mic/pre or compressor into the right part of the patchbay.
Turned all off at the end of the day, next day - silence.
Microfreak turns on, lights respond to tweaks of the knobs, also to touch of the keyboard. Everything works except no sound at output or headphones.
I have turned on and off, reset in 'Utility' several times. Gone back to old firmware with no joy, then back to latest firmware and still no sound.
Having owned it for a couple of months, unless this is a super easy fix, I have lost all confidence in it. Especially given Arturia's online reputation for buggy products that never quite get sorted.
Old 12th August 2019
Now two people on the forum having this issue, as well as me.
Old 12th August 2019
Gear Head

Quote:
And is there a chance they will include this in a FW update?
One owner has shared a video with his idea on how to deal with it:

Old 12th August 2019
Gear Addict

Yes saw that one too. Thanks!
Old 12th August 2019
Gear Nut

Well I have returned mine after 1 weekend of use. It sounds much cooler than expected and has a ton of features.. unfortunately I just hate dealing with buggy products and it still has a bunch even with the recent firmware. Seems like they were a bit too overambitious and quick with this one. I love arturia products.. and it seems with their mk2s they seem to get things right.. minibrute 2, keylab 2, drumbrute impact. so i'll probably wait for a microfreak 2 and pick it up again
Old 12th August 2019
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by amped View Post
Just started having issues with jumpy encoders, specifically the orange wave encoder. Increasing the values will sometimes jump right around 5 and then to max.
My Wave Knob jumps back at something around 40% time to time. Tried USB power and DC from the wall. Newest firmware... any thoghts?
Old 13th August 2019
AXN
Gear Head
Mine is acting weird when connected by midi. When I plug the MF in to my midi Rig, al other gear won’t respond and play anymore.. when I unplug the MF all is fine...

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search