The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Synths for sale     Latest  Trending
Arturia Microfreak Experimental Hybrid Synthesizer
Old 19th July 2019
Lives for gear

Siblings. . . .

With just a brief exploration this morning, turns out these two together solve an awful lot of sonic problems, considering their overall price. 10/10 would recommend as a foundation for a small footprint setup. Where the Freak is (understandably) too thin, the Brute comes to the rescue. But the Freak supplies all the bells and whistles (literally). Can't wait to explore this one a bit more thoroughly.

While I'm here, what kind of thru does the Freak have? I haven't messed around with that yet. It only has the out output, but there's a thru option in the utility menu.
Old 19th July 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Praxisaxis View Post
While I'm here, what kind of thru does the Freak have? I haven't messed around with that yet. It only has the out output, but there's a thru option in the utility menu.
That's a software thru, merging the output of the uF's keyboard an knob CCs with whatever it's receiving.
Old 19th July 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrJustice View Post
That a software thru, merging the output of the uF's keyboard an knob CCs with whatever it's receiving.
ah ok cool
Old 19th July 2019
Lives for gear

After a little mucking around, it occurs to me that this kind of keyboard is more easily played in this configuration (with less of an angle though).

Can anyone think of a cheap and easy way of anchoring it like that? At this point my live stuff is basically all tabletop, but wouldn't mind hanging this one somewhere with an angle like that.
Old 19th July 2019
Deleted c985153
Quote:
After a little mucking around, it occurs to me that this kind of keyboard is more easily played in this configuration (with less of an angle though).

Can anyone think of a cheap and easy way of anchoring it like that? At this point my live stuff is basically all tabletop, but wouldn't mind hanging this one somewhere with an angle like that.
Laptop stand with a sticky pad could do it. I use one for my mpc live, so I'm sure you can find one to support the freak at that angle.
Old 20th July 2019
Lives for gear

Had a bit of a play today. It's kinda tricky to play on this keyboard thingy. . .

Old 20th July 2019
Lives for gear
Well, I talked s%@t.....but, I pride my self on being fair,

So.....

....I tried one....It was FUN!.....I still think this is a $250 max item, but yeah...I liked it!

I'd still wait beyond the first wave of warrantee expirations to make sure I didn't get "Drum Brutalized" But....If they were blowing these out in a year...for the right price...why the hell not?
Old 20th July 2019
Gear Addict
Quote:
Had a bit of a play today. It's kinda tricky to play on this keyboard thingy. . .
The keys take some getting used to, but when you do they feel incredibly natural, gone is the keyboardists need to play slightly ahead of the beat to compensate for key travel, the after touch is a tactile sensation rather than just pushing harder, it makes mechanical keys feel kind of clunky, I wouldn't like do a whole live set with them but perfect for the studio.

I'm hoping Arturia release a 3 to 5 octave controller using those keys.
Old 20th July 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by zerocrossing View Post
Yeah, I’m among the preset haters too. I thought the Peak’s were bad! ...but you’re right. It’s easy enough to find one of the inits and just get going. I haven’t even used the sequencer yet!

I’m glad you can overwrite them, at least.
You want GOOD, USEABLE Presets?!?

Today's synthesists have ZERO regard for TRADITION

Back in my day, you got 5 banks of electric pianos a xylophone and an accordion and you damn well LIKED IT.

If you were really lucky you might get "S^%ty airoplane attempting takeoff 1" And "Tin can falling down stairs 2"

And who can forget those magical "F%$K YOU" presets, that the programmer would cryptically name with a "??oh!??" or ""hahaha"

It was programmer speak for "Menu-dive your way out of this D!$k Head!"

We came up tough but we came up HARD...Looking back those s!%y presets made a MAN out of me.

So give em' a tug, grow a few hairs on em' and show those s%^y presets there's a MAN twiddling them with the tips of his fingers.
Old 20th July 2019
Gear Maniac
Any way to assign ext kb mod wheel to a parameter?
Old 20th July 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrible.dee View Post
Well, I talked s%@t.....but, I pride my self on being fair,

So.....

....I tried one....It was FUN!.....I still think this is a $250 max item, but yeah...I liked it!

I'd still wait beyond the first wave of warrantee expirations to make sure I didn't get "Drum Brutalized" But....If they were blowing these out in a year...for the right price...why the hell not?
So you are going to deny yourself the fun of it for a year, just to save fifty bucks?!
Old 20th July 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by terrible.dee View Post
You want GOOD, USEABLE Presets?!?

Today's synthesists have ZERO regard for TRADITION

Back in my day, you got 5 banks of electric pianos a xylophone and an accordion and you damn well LIKED IT.
Two points to that......

1) The Prophet V, which was one of the first poly synths (mid 1970's), had a lot of great presets, some which became iconic.
2) In the modern age there are plenty of opportunities to make sounds from scratch - on vintage synths, or on modular synths etc... BUT if a synth is going to offer '128 presets' at least make them varied, from the basic to the esoteric and signature.
Old 20th July 2019
Lives for gear

chrisso I think perhaps you need to go to Arturia’s site and download the Factory 1.1 presets. There are about 165 in it, and they include all the templates I’ve been telling you about.

You don’t have to update the MF to use them. If you can get MCC to cleanly recognize your MF thru an uncluttered USB connection, you should have no trouble updating to the latest firmware.
Old 20th July 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:

Brilliant, and an album sold. I should try listening to ya’lls music more often. Wait, when did I become from the south?

I hear you about the keyboard... it’s going to take a little time. So far I mostly control it with my S2, which has more controllable poly pressure, but that flies in the face of why I bought the MiniFreak.
Old 20th July 2019
Lives for gear

It does take getting used to, but I’ve found ways to play it that work well after some practice.

It does what Don Buchla and Morton Subotnick meant it to: enforces a new practice, and thus aesthetic, upon the player. Which for me is ultimately what all electronic synthesis is about.
Old 21st July 2019
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by realtrance View Post
It does take getting used to, but I’ve found ways to play it that work well after some practice.

It does what Don Buchla and Morton Subotnick meant it to: enforces a new practice, and thus aesthetic, upon the player. Which for me is ultimately what all electronic synthesis is about.
One way to play it is like a Glass Armonica where you stroke the keys applying different pressure, rather than jabbing at them. Try it your partners will thank you
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Hey . . . noob question. What do I need to do to change presets on the MF from external gear? I found the bit in the manual about a switch for program changes on/off, but that seems to be for their midi software, not the MF itself. I don't want to plug it in to the computer just yet. Is it enabled by default? If so, I wonder why I'm having trouble firing off presets from my MPC? Any ideas?
Old 4 weeks ago
AXN
Gear Head
Quote:
Hey . . . noob question. What do I need to do to change presets on the MF from external gear? I found the bit in the manual about a switch for program changes on/off, but that seems to be for their midi software, not the MF itself. I don't want to plug it in to the computer just yet. Is it enabled by default? If so, I wonder why I'm having trouble firing off presets from my MPC? Any ideas?
From my Deluge I just press program change, then bank or sub, and choose a patch.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by AXN View Post
From my Deluge I just press program change, then bank or sub, and choose a patch.
And you didn't have to switch anything on the MF so that it receives program changes?
Old 4 weeks ago
AXN
Gear Head
Quote:
And you didn't have to switch anything on the MF so that it receives program changes?
Didnt changed anything on the MF, it just worked.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by AXN View Post
Didnt changed anything on the MF, it just worked.
Cool, thanks
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

What case / bag are you all using?

Thank you for any suggestions! (this is of course for the microfreak)
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:

Wow! Watched this again, best thing I’ve seen on YouTube in a very long time. Herbie would be proud.

Btw there are another 32 presets up at Arturia’s site from one of their sound designers. Cleverly named after plants, and like the other 160 currently available, just begging to be tweaked like crazy!

Reminder because I futzed it up myself: if you update MCC on Mac, go into Apple>Utilities>Audio MIDI Setup, remove the Microfreak device from the MIDI Studio window; it will be reconstructed when you turn on your MF while USB-connected to the Mac. Seems like updates to MCC basically need to reinstall that device to communicate properly with your MF. Or at least, in my case it does.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Wow! Watched this again, best thing I’ve seen on YouTube in a very long time.
Thanks, glad you enjoyed it, but I was really just messing around!!
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Thanks, glad you enjoyed it, but I was really just messing around!!
You should mess around more.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
You should mess around more.
Lol, don’t worry, that’s half my life .
Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:
Btw there are another 32 presets up at Arturia’s site from one of their sound designers. Cleverly named after plants, and like the other 160 currently available, just begging to be tweaked like crazy!
Where are the 160? I only see firmware downloads on the Microfreak page.
On the 'Microfreak presets' page I can see the new 32 pads download.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisso View Post
Where are the 160? I only see firmware downloads on the Microfreak page.
On the 'Microfreak presets' page I can see the new 32 pads download.
I think the factory presets should be in the MIDI Control Center - "Factory 1.1".

BTW, regarding your previous posting about holding off the firmware update, I'd recommend updating as there are a few improvements there and no reports of anything breaking AFAIK (hover the mouse pointer over the "i" to the right in the firmware line on the resource page to see the release notes).
Old 4 weeks ago
OK, thanks.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisso View Post
OK, thanks.
chrisso I think you’ll find the new patch set much more to your taste; very playable by default as well as being great starting points for tweaking.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search