The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Arturia Microfreak Experimental Hybrid Synthesizer
Old 3rd May 2019 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by drxcm View Post
That’s a bummer. Arturia QC always has me worried but for cheap gear like this, it’s not a major concern. Sounds like you may need to return it
A mate is reporting similar issues. Could be a firmware thing, and therefore fixable.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polymooger View Post
FFS. Looks like mine might have a fault

It worked fine for 2-3 hours then suddenly patches are changing randomly. Select a preset and after a random number of seconds, whether playing or not, the save button will flash and the display will flash up the matrix amount for a random parameter and at the same time the sound will change, usually the filter cutoff changing suddenly. I thought maybe an encoder fault but the save light flashing is weird.

Pretty damn sure this isn't meant to happen - can anyone confirm? It first showed up on preset 97 but it seems to be affecting others too.

Good old Arturia build quality...
That blows and I hope it's not a real fault, but if it makes you feel any better I had an excellent experience with their support when they did the recall on the Drumbrutes.
Lives for gear

Quote:
That’s a bummer. Arturia QC always has me worried but for cheap gear like this, it’s not a major concern. Sounds like you may need to return it
Seems to be related to sponteneous full opening of the filter. Mine and mates machine both have the same issue. On some patches it makes the sound disappear completely e.g. 99 and 100.
Old 3rd May 2019
Lives for gear

^ You probably have done so already, but if not it might be wort trying to reflash with the firmware on the resource page(?)
Lives for gear

Quote:
Seems to be related to sponteneous full opening of the filter. Mine and mates machine both have the same issue. On some patches it makes the sound disappear completely e.g. 99 and 100.
That's not great news.

Are you powering it with the grounded PSU, or are you using USB? I don't remember which video it was, but I saw one where a few of the touch-functions were a little odd on USB power, but not on the actual PSU. Just a guess of course, but seems like it's at least marginally possible that it behaves a bit erratically when not on the "proper" PSU.

Hopefully that isn't the case though, and it's just a firmware bug. I hadn't heard anything about this until now, but then, I think all the people that did the videos were on pre-release hardware. Could be something different on the released models.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerocrossing View Post
I’m just goofing around. I probably waited too long to be part of the first batch anyway. It wasn’t a war that we lost, anyway. We just got clandestinely taken over by a foreign power.
Not foreign. Off-planet! It’s in our own best interest as a species, anyways, we were cruisin’ for a bruisin’.

Sorry to hear about the Early Adopter pain. Hope it’s sortable via firmware.

Contact your purchase source immediately and report, though, so if it’s a widespread issue they’ll hear about it.
Old 3rd May 2019
Gear Addict

Called my local GC yesterday. I guess none (or very few) were in CA, but he said some GC store in North Carolina got 30 of them and they're gone.

Who knows when they'll get any with their lack of vendor pull and an antiquated computer ordering/tracking system.

Perhaps Sweetwater will be the best place.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by j3rk View Post
Are you powering it with the grounded PSU
Yes. I haven't used USB for anything yet.
Old 3rd May 2019
No problems here so far, I suppose that could change when I turn it back on tomorrow. I did send the firmware 3 times through the software before I did anything.
I have tested midi in/out and usb in/out using the arp and sequencer in Ableton and it's all tight.
Gear Nut

Quote:
FFS. Looks like mine might have a fault

It worked fine for 2-3 hours then suddenly patches are changing randomly. Select a preset and after a random number of seconds, whether playing or not, the save button will flash and the display will flash up the matrix amount for a random parameter and at the same time the sound will change, usually the filter cutoff changing suddenly. I thought maybe an encoder fault but the save light flashing is weird.

Pretty damn sure this isn't meant to happen - can anyone confirm? It first showed up on preset 97 but it seems to be affecting others too.

Good old Arturia build quality...
haven't had time to give mine a proper shakedown yet but when I was messing around with an init patch earlier the save light kept blinking intermittently.. I'll have a dig into things tomorrow and report back..
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobswans View Post
I did send the firmware 3 times through the software before I did anything.
I may have missed something earlier in the thread.

Why?
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadAktor View Post
haven't had time to give mine a proper shakedown yet but when I was messing around with an init patch earlier the save light kept blinking intermittently.. I'll have a dig into things tomorrow and report back..
The save light flashes to indicate that a knob is at the position of the current preset's value. Could it be that?
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrJustice View Post
The save light flashes to indicate that a knob is at the position of the current preset's value. Could it be that?
No idea, but it's doing it all the time on mine now. Strange how it was fine for a few hours, now as soon as I switch it on or select a preset the patch changes randomly and messes up.

I updated the firmware - no change.

Sadly this is effectively junk until it's fixed :(

Edit: it's usually, but not always, the env to cutoff matrix parameter which changes. I just set a patch so that env-to-cutoff was set to 0 in the matrix. A few seconds later the amount jumped to 64 spontaneously; I hadn't even touched anything. If you've got the filter set to HPF this will suddenly turn the synth silent!
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarrova View Post
VERY nice! Where would you get these knobs? Looks very pro
The best place currently (or as of a few months back) would be https://www.thonk.co.uk/

There were a couple of people that used to organize group buys in the US on Muff's, but I'm not sure that still happens.

The shipping from Thonk is reasonable even in the US.

Other good places for other styles:

http://modularaddict.com
http://synthcube.com

Since you're in Belgium, Thonk is probably best all around.

Oh, I almost forgot! https://www.samodular.com/browse-for/knobs/

Another good one on your side of the world.
Lives for gear

Quote:

Quote:
I updated the firmware - no change.
Edit: it's usually, but not always, the env to cutoff matrix parameter which changes. I just set a patch so that env-to-cutoff was set to 0 in the matrix. A few seconds later the amount jumped to 64 spontaneously; I hadn't even touched anything.
Yours definitely sounds like a case of bad luck. I'd ask for an exchange.

For @ BadAktor , I suspect it's the preset-value-match indicator he's seeing.
Old 3rd May 2019
Lives for gear

It does sound like the underpower problem, I wonder if the PSU has gone wonky?
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobTheDog View Post
It does sound like the underpower problem, I wonder if the PSU has gone wonky?
What makes you say that? What underpower problem to do with random patch scrambling are you aware of?
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by realtrance View Post
Not foreign. Off-planet! It’s in our own best interest as a species, anyways, we were cruisin’ for a bruisin’.

Sorry to hear about the Early Adopter pain. Hope it’s sortable via firmware.

Contact your purchase source immediately and report, though, so if it’s a widespread issue they’ll hear about it.
"Cruisin' for a bruisin'" was one of my dad's go-to warnings. The bruises are gone, but some of the scars are still visible.
Lives for gear

Quote:
What makes you say that? What underpower problem to do with random patch scrambling are you aware of?
I have seen similar when underpowered by USB, maybe the PSU is dodgy. It seems weird that you and a friend have the same issue though.

Do you have a 1 or more Amp USB power adapter you could try, something like an iPhone one?
Old 4th May 2019 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobTheDog View Post
Do you have a 1 or more Amp USB power adapter you could try, something like an iPhone one?
Just tried a 2A Samsung tablet adapter - no change unfortunately.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrJustice View Post
For @ BadAktor , I suspect it's the preset-value-match indicator he's seeing.
I think there's relevance there - if the errant control value is being swept through and beyond the stored value by some as-yet-unknown embuggerance, then the save light might well flash as the uncommanded sweep passes through that stored value.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Just tried a 2A Samsung tablet adapter - no change unfortunately.
Ah, that's a shame.

I guess DrJustice is right then and it's a return.
Old 4th May 2019
Lives for gear

I hope Arturia didn't use power warts from "Golden Prophet" in China. Those were utter junk on the MB1.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by realtrance View Post
I hope Arturia didn't use power warts from "Golden Prophet" in China. Those were utter junk on the MB1.
'Hon Kwang' is the illustrious name on mine.
Old 4th May 2019
Lives for gear

Ah much better. His gang..... er Corporation! Excuse me! doesn't cut corners as sharply.

Honkwang.com if you're curious.

Pray to Jesus if you're not.
Lives for gear

So Arturia's UK distributor messaged me overnight to say get in touch on Tuesday to work out a resolution if my fault persists (which so far it does).

Quote:
I may have missed something earlier in the thread.

Why?
You didn't miss anything earlier, I just did it to be safe.
Lives for gear

Quote:
You didn't miss anything earlier, I just did it to be safe.
Sounds a little OCD. Was there something funky about the first and second time you sent the firmware that made you do it 3 times?

I’m confused why the third pass might be any better than the first

Quote:
Sounds a little OCD. Was there something funky about the first and second time you sent the firmware that made you do it 3 times?

I’m confused why the third pass might be any better than the first

The 1st time was to check I was running the latest version, 2nd was because when I opened the Midi Control center for the 2nd time it said a firmware update was available, 3rd was just for fun.
Lives for gear

Quote:
The 1st time was to check I was running the latest version, 2nd was because when I opened the Midi Control center for the 2nd time it said a firmware update was available, 3rd was just for fun.
Where did you get the firmware? the midi control center looks for a mff file but the download from arturia's site is just a zip containing a folder full of BIN files
Interestingly one of the files is the wavetables, so could possibly be replaced with our own.
📝 Reply