The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Arturia Microfreak Experimental Hybrid Synthesizer Keyboard Synthesizers
Old 2 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubbleraptor View Post
1) He has a euromodular rig and touch capacitance controllers are quite the thing in that land.
Not only that, he has a Pgh Modular KB-1 in his Euro case.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobTheDog View Post
They are just making those dates up.
Defo. They also really made the Korg Minilogue XD date up. When I ordered it, when it was announced, it said in stock hahaha

Im old enough not to fall for those tricks anymore and always that risk with new kit.

Will have it soon enough think its great, think its boring, rinse it to death and then sell it and move on
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
What I find very odd about this guy's complete diss of the MF is:

It's not a complete diss. He said clearly that he thinks it sounds very good.... Sure, he's another tedious and lame clickbait merchant but what he says about touch keyboards is relevant. If you already have keyboard/piano experience or want the experience you accumulate by playing the synth to translate well to playing other keyboards and the piano, the touch keys are a problem. Adding a MIDI controller keyboard defeats the point of this being a instrument playable on its own.
Personally, even tho I am not a keyboard player I prefer mechanical keys because they feel more like a piano and i can rest my fingers on them or brush against them without triggering notes I don't want. It feels like a more relaxed and natural style of playing .

Touch keys are a thing in modular land for the same reason I mentioned earlier, because they're much easier to make.

I have to admit that the ones on the Microfreak look very cool.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by digital 1010 View Post
Defo. They also really made the Korg Minilogue XD date up. When I ordered it, when it was announced, it said in stock hahaha

Im old enough not to fall for those tricks anymore and always that risk with new kit.

Will have it soon enough think its great, think its boring, rinse it to death and then sell it and move on
Gear4Music are the worse, their dates are total fantasy and their pre-orders as well. I have preordered with them before and then just purchased it when in stock from another retailer with Gear4Music still waiting.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobTheDog View Post
Gear4Music are the worse, their dates are total fantasy and their pre-orders as well. I have preordered with them before and then just purchased it when in stock from another retailer with Gear4Music still waiting.
Weirdly they are the only ones I've never had an issue with. To be fair Andertons are pretty good and i knew the dates were optimistic and they have emailed on both items with updates etc. It's the the fun of pre ordering.
Old 2 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treebase DMX View Post
It was recently talked about again in the Jexus thread.

The Story of Jexus
Thanks! Totally missed that, but good to know
Old 2 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treebase DMX View Post

Touch keys are a thing in modular land for the same reason I mentioned earlier, because they're much easier to make.
Noooooo.
They are a throwback to a classic. It's nostalgia in some respects.
Touch keys were designed by Don Buchla to get the user away from the traditional keyboard mindset. His first touch plates had no pitch baked in, and weren't arranged in a black and white keys configuration.
I have one of those. It's extremely liberating to use, and fosters innovation.
Later he somewhat adhered to the standard keyboard layout.
The first modern touch plates in modular harked back to Buchla. So they weren't laid out like a classic keyboard. Again, it's a way to force the user away from the black and white keys mindset.
However, as touch plates have become popular, more and more makers have moved to the standard keyboard layout.

But they are still a great way to control a synth.
The problem many Gearslutz have is that they prefer to stay in their comfort zone. Break out of it and force yourself to use a controller that pushes you in to new directions - like a touch plate controller.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Notice Andertons now saying 3rd of June for pre orders. Might be time to cancel and revisit when its out properly. Might put the money into the compressors I'm after actually.
Old 2 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by digital 1010 View Post
Notice Andertons now saying 3rd of June for pre orders. Might be time to cancel and revisit when its out properly. Might put the money into the compressors I'm after actually.
it's NEXT Delivery.... so if you preorder before , you should receive yours from a previous batch, no?
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rcmusic35 View Post
it's NEXT Delivery.... so if you preorder before , you should received yours from a previous batch, no?
I've seen the pre order date change 3-4 times and i was advised i was in first batch so not so sure. It's no biggie, dont mind waiting a few months and seeing reports of real usage when its out properly etc.

Means i can put the money into other things for now
Old 2 weeks ago
Deleted 859c1b8
2 synths I want this year.
Korg Modular
Arturia Microfreak.

I live in Canada, I will wait.
My Blofelds accept poly pressure, so it will be neat to check out.
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Pr-ordered one from a store in Sydney. Their ETA says March ...... can't see that though.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
What I find very odd about this guy's complete diss of the MF is:

1) He has a euromodular rig and touch capacitance controllers are quite the thing in that land.
2) Anyone can see that it's a touch keyboard from the images.
3) Everyone knows that touch keyboards demand a different playing style from normal key-beds. Go riff on a Casiotone pal.
4) use MIDI
5)I have zero time for these YT synth 'experts' because they aren't.
6) I have a need for a small touch controller sequencer like the MF that doesn't cost £700 and the sound generation is an added bonus. So there.
Seems pretty clear his only complaint is the lack of a traditional keybed. And given he is a self proclaimed pianist, I'm not surprised he'd feel that way. Just an example of someone imposing their desires on something that is completely different. Ultimately his complaint is empty since he wants something this cannot provide, obviously.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut
I come from a classical piano background, but I don't expect every keyboard or electronic instrument to have a piano-like keybed, just like I don't expect every stringed instrument to have frets. Part of the fun of learning different instruments is training your senses and your muscles to create music in different ways than you're used to.

That being said, the real test for me will be whether or not I can play the instrument by feel without looking. Fluxwithit had a Microfreak stream on YouTube last night, and I asked him if the touch keyboard was raised enough to be able to play it by feel. He said that he found it very playable, and he showed a closeup of the grooves between the "white keys." I'm still not totally sure how I'd get along with it, but I plan to try one out as soon as Sweetwater gets one in their showroom.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisso View Post
The problem many Gearslutz have is that they prefer to stay in their comfort zone. Break out of it and force yourself to use a controller that pushes you in to new directions - like a touch plate controller.
I always have to remind myself that not all electronic musicians are here to explore and experiment. I'd actually estimate that the percentage that are into anything vaguely approaching experimental are just as low as with any other type or style of music, and maybe half of those people put their experimentation into the composition and use very standard synth sounds and techniques.

The truth is, most people come into something during their formative years and maybe they were progressive and open at that point, but they soon calcify and it's over. I remember getting a call from an old girlfriend and I was amazed that her taste in music was frozen in time even though a decade had passed.

There's also the establishment which pushes traditional instruments. You can't throw a stick without hitting a piano or guitar teacher, but have you ever seen a flyer at a local cafe that advertised Buchla style synthesis lessons?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerocrossing View Post
I always have to remind myself that not all electronic musicians are here to explore and experiment. I'd actually estimate that the percentage that are into anything vaguely approaching experimental are just as low as with any other type or style of music, and maybe half of those people put their experimentation into the composition and use very standard synth sounds and techniques.

The truth is, most people come into something during their formative years and maybe they were progressive and open at that point, but they soon calcify and it's over. I remember getting a call from an old girlfriend and I was amazed that her taste in music was frozen in time even though a decade had passed.

There's also the establishment which pushes traditional instruments. You can't throw a stick without hitting a piano or guitar teacher, but have you ever seen a flyer at a local cafe that advertised Buchla style synthesis lessons?
OH GOD, if only. I'd LOVE that.

Hell, I'd settle for a REALLY good modular workshop in general.

In the DC/MD/VA area now if anyone knows of one.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcgood View Post

A bit north of you, in a town called New York City, there is a school called IAR (Institute Of Audio Research). I don't know about it's current offerings, but I took a class in synthesis there in the early 80s and they had us messing about with a bunch of cool modules from Moog and others who's names I don't even remember... I don't recall a Buchla. (It was on the east coast, I guess.)

OK, I couldn't resist, so I checked. They're gone.

Institute of Audio Research - Wikipedia

Oh well. Seriously though, I highly recommend to anyone who's interested in synthesis to try and find a school that offers something like that. It's like learning phonics. Makes reading a lot easier once you know.
Old 6 days ago
People don't HAVE to experiment. I was just saying it's healthy to push yourself out of your comfort zone once in a while.
People are criticising the Microfreak keyboard never having used a touch plate controller before, just based on the fact it doesn't resemble what they USUALLY use.
Old 6 days ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcgood View Post

With so much info on the web and free tools available, if you've got the will and patience, you can teach yourself a lot with the free VCV Rack - Open-source virtual modular synthesizer (you need a well-specked comp) or Nord G2 modular demo Downloads for Nord Modular G2 | Nord Keyboards
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

One of these through my Nova delay and Bigsky is gonna be ****in amazing.
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Want this.
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

That artwork is hideous. Competes with the Neutron's for aesthetic assault!
Old 4 days ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by didlisquat View Post
Remind me to one day make an EDM track that’s comprised solely of Cuckoo samples.
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
People don't HAVE to experiment. I was just saying it's healthy to push yourself out of your comfort zone once in a while.
People are criticising the Microfreak keyboard never having used a touch plate controller before, just based on the fact it doesn't resemble what they USUALLY use.
I think it would make a great module with the touch plate keys adding a great way to infuse expression while playing a regular keyboard.
Old 4 days ago
That's missing one of the main points of touch plates.
It's a different interaction, not just about 'expression'.
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Freak is in the name for a reason. Missy Elliot said it best "Get ur freak on". After playing it for a while maybe it'll become your super freak.
Old 4 days ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by asynchro_nous View Post
I think it would make a great module with the touch plate keys adding a great way to infuse expression while playing a regular keyboard.
I woudln’t hold my breath for that, but I guess it’s possible. It’s pretty small. I imagine it could be easily snuck onto a blank spot on top of another keyboard. I intend to put mine on a computer keyboard shelf so I can tuck it under when not in use.
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
That's missing one of the main points of touch plates.
It's a different interaction, not just about 'expression'.
Oh darn. What the hell was I thinking?
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerocrossing View Post
I woudln’t hold my breath for that, but I guess it’s possible. It’s pretty small. I imagine it could be easily snuck onto a blank spot on top of another keyboard. I intend to put mine on a computer keyboard shelf so I can tuck it under when not in use.
I wouldn’t hold my breath, no.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search