The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Synths for sale     Latest  Trending
Arturia Microfreak Experimental Hybrid Synthesizer
Old 24th January 2019
Gear Maniac

LOve the board design and poly-aftertouch

Quote:
Record up to four automations, edit notes per step or use the innovative Spice and Dice sequencer functions to find happy accidents. Add randomization to create evolving, original patterns, and virtually rewire and reconfigure its signal chain and controls with the 5x7 modulation matrix.

IN your face ELEKTRON!
Old 24th January 2019
Lives for gear

Going to try it out today - curious to see how that touch keyboard poly AT works out.
Old 24th January 2019
Id buy that for a dollar!

Well $299! (Is that confirmed?)

Edit: ah $349, bit more like it...Im in
Old 24th January 2019
Not really a fan of the touch-surface stuff, but if it's good enough for Buchla what the hell.

NAMM is rapidly killing my 2020 budget.
Old 24th January 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SynthJam View Post
$299 !

Link?

$349 USD on Arturia's site: Arturia - Overview

EDIT: did a quick search and found a $299 pre-order from here: Arturia MicroFreak Experimental Hybrid Synth CABLE KIT | KraftMusic.com

and here: Arturia MicroFreak Hybrid Synthesizer | Sweetwater

Last edited by felis; 24th January 2019 at 07:44 PM..
Old 24th January 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason moyer View Post
Not really a fan of the touch-surface stuff, but if it's good enough for Buchla what the hell.

NAMM is rapidly killing my 2020 budget.
Not my cup of tea either, but was also good enough for the EDP wasp, too.

Last edited by wendell r.; 25th January 2019 at 08:41 AM..
Old 24th January 2019
They missed an opportunity to call this the EDM Wasp. IMO.
Old 24th January 2019
Lives for gear

If you notice on the product page the 11 OSC / Synthesis types are available for the first firmware version but they've left room for more.
Old 24th January 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by apessino View Post
Going to try it out today - curious to see how that touch keyboard poly AT works out.
I would want to check out the new Stylophone too, the videos sounded raunchy.
Have fun at NAMM
Old 24th January 2019
Lives for gear
it should be brutally punishable( eg. Chinese water torture) to have acronym "EDM" in your equipment naming scheme.

Back to the topic: I'm soo getting this.
Old 24th January 2019
Lives for gear

having read the specs ive got to say i really am impressed . I was just about to buy a plaits and 4ms skiff to expand one of my semi modulars, think i'll just hold back a week or 3 and buy this instead.
Old 24th January 2019
Lives for gear

Ok, I’m buying it. Well played, Arturia.

Thought it could have been pinker, orange isn’t my colour.
Old 24th January 2019
bax
Gear Nut

Think I might actually be in on this one too...I still haven't gelled 100% with the Roli Rise 25 after a year, and this looks like it might be a reasonable MPE controller as well as a seriously interesting 1-4 voices of straight-up weirdness.

I'd have rather given them $499 for 37 keys though, but I figure this thing will fly off shelves if they market it properly...
Old 24th January 2019
Lives for gear

These sequencer and arpeggio buttons confuse me a lot. Where is the play/rec/stop buttons, or a switch or something,

Hopefully this is a regular step sequencer like the Microbrute’s and not an advanced Arpeggiator..., because if this is the case then, no thanks jefry I’m out, even though I like it so much.
Old 24th January 2019
Gear Maniac

only thing I would add is "AudioIn" for the oportunity to use it as a SEM filterbox
Old 24th January 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bax View Post
Think I might actually be in on this one too...I still haven't gelled 100% with the Roli Rise 25 after a year, and this looks like it might be a reasonable MPE controller as well as a seriously interesting 1-4 voices of straight-up weirdness.

I'd have rather given them $499 for 37 keys though, but I figure this thing will fly off shelves if they market it properly...
This looks to be MicroBrute sized, so I suspect next year we'll be getting a MiniBrute sized one as well with even more features...MiniFreak.

So they will have a Brute line and a Freak line. Of course this also signals a DrumFreak in the future as well.
Old 24th January 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bax View Post

I wont think of it as a MPE controller since Arturia havent used that term and have focussed on PolyAT instead. And MPE is more than that, but this is still an interesting controller and instrument that I will probably get at some point.
Old 24th January 2019
Lives for gear

Sounds really interesting... I think I'm going to get one!
Old 24th January 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nice187 View Post

These sequencer and arpeggio buttons confuse me a lot. Where is the play/rec/stop buttons, or a switch or something,

Hopefully this is a regular step sequencer like the Microbrute’s and not an advanced Arpeggiator..., because if this is the case then, no thanks jefry I’m out, even though I like it so much.

look closely the buttons have small "play" and "stop" signs
Old 24th January 2019
Old 24th January 2019
Lives for gear

My personal boycott of Arturia products is being counteracted by my love for mutable instruments.

My braids osc sounds great and I think plaits is derived from that

I think I’ll be giving Arturia another chance
Old 24th January 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by toitoy View Post

look closely the buttons have small "play" and "stop" signs
I got it thanks man.

This is a tool of inspiration; there are so many things we can do with this little baby. I can’t remember any other small portable synth more capable than this, seriously.
Old 24th January 2019
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevism View Post
My personal boycott of Arturia products is being counteracted by my love for mutable instruments.

Self-loathing is a fundamental part of the slut psyche.
Old 24th January 2019
Lives for gear

ICON (Japanese) interview with someone from Arturia (Bryan Borcherds) on the MicroFreak. They mostly overview the specs, with a few behind the scenes nuggets thrown in.
Old 24th January 2019
Lives for gear

Goddamn this demo was awful but I’m curious to hear more.
Old 24th January 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevism View Post

Don't feel bad man lol. I black-listed Akai for 5 years but I think I'm finally going to get the MPC X very soon. The OS is really turning into something now and apparently they're going to 3.0 eventually which shows they really are supporting their new line of MPCs. Back in the mix baby!
Old 24th January 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gringo Starr View Post
Goddamn this demo was awful but I’m curious to hear more.
Near the bottom of the Overview page there's a half dozen demo tracks in different styles, and near the bottom of the Details page there are a half dozen preset demos.
Old 24th January 2019
Deleted c1b33bf
Quote:
Originally Posted by jason moyer View Post
I get very fast and snappy attack times from my future retro 512.
Touch capacitance is the perfect choice for a small/full-featured format like this imo.
Old 24th January 2019
Lives for gear

Just had a nice long play session. This thing sounds amazing - super fun and ridiculously immediate to groove with.

The “keyboard” is... not for me. Feels really strange to play but that could be improved by practicing on it.

Overall, this thing is going to be huge - $300, expected in April.
Old 24th January 2019
Lives for gear

Could have been a mono monster with two oscs and like five more knobs for the UI. I get it was aimed to be a cheaper product, but with just a touch more ...

I hope the Micro / Mini distinction continues for Arturia and they make a MiniFreak version.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search