The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Arturia Microfreak Experimental Hybrid Synthesizer
Old 27th January 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisso View Post
Where do you come up with this stuff?
People have had hits using Ableton Live and only the stock instruments and fx.

I know, its almost as if nobody ever invented a seminal genre in electronic music using a little bass guitar simulator box that nobody else wanted
Old 27th January 2019
Kja
Lives for gear
Quote:
Where do you come up with this stuff?
People have had hits using Ableton Live and only the stock instruments and fx.
People have had hits? Metroboomin owns the airwaves and he just uses fruity loops..
Old 27th January 2019
Gear Guru

I'm a bit worried if I buy one of these the next thing they release in the range will be ten times better..? he kept mentioning this is only the start of many more in the freak range.
Old 27th January 2019
Lives for gear

I want a Wasp colored version! Will arturia make it? lets see...
Old 27th January 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nice187 View Post
People love to work with small hardware setups nowadays. This looks like the perfect small synth. The ultimate small hardware setup for this year could be this Arturia Microfreak with the Behringer’s RD - 808 and MS – 101 new arrivals.

This is the perfect affordable and small hardware setup in my opinion.

[...]
The Behringers aren't small, you're looking for Boutiques
Old 27th January 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddlestickz View Post
I'm a bit worried if I buy one of these the next thing they release in the range will be ten times better..? he kept mentioning this is only the start of many more in the freak range.
I was about to say: The risk of loss aint that high at 299.- .. but then i remembered you are from Australia. So yeah, it would be cool if they released their long term plans, instead of teasing them.
Old 27th January 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
The other Freaks will surely have a different form factor, I'd wait for the one with the right size and amount of keys, unless you specifically want the current microsize.
Old 27th January 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottdavidson View Post
I know, its almost as if nobody ever invented a seminal genre in electronic music using a little bass guitar simulator box that nobody else wanted
If you want to sound like the early 90s with a computer-less setup , sure you can do it on the cheap.
Old 27th January 2019
Quote:
I'm a bit worried if I buy one of these the next thing they release in the range will be ten times better..?
Better to live in the moment.
There will always be a better something tomorrow. You can't worry about tomorrow. Either this is a killer tool for you, or it isn't.
Old 27th January 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treebase DMX View Post
If you want to sound like the early 90s with a computer-less setup , sure you can do it on the cheap.
Persisting?

But the tools they used were cheap tools in the 90's.
Innovators have always used cheap tools. They aren't wealthy pop stars, they are musicians operating on the periphery.
All genre starting records were made on cheap gear, at home or in cheap studios.
Old 27th January 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by A.I. Batule Chee View Post
I want a Wasp colored version! Will arturia make it? lets see...
Why not give it a coat of paint yourself? I'm serious.
Old 27th January 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
I'd expect something like an 4-8 voice, 4 octave polyfreak, the aftertouch and pressure key thing almost begs for a full polyphonic version, with two osc, and modulatable digital effects which are also semi-programmable, also thin and "low cost", something like that.
Old 27th January 2019
The question is - will it be better with more voices? To me the architecture screams mono synth. Highly characterful oscillators just seem too thick, busy and complex to be played in big chords.
Old 27th January 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by xamatsni View Post
My memory of the time is that I bought an Evolver when it first came out because I read about it on Gearslutz and it was a big deal that Dave Smith from Sequential was making a new synth with 2 analog oscillators and an analog filter plus an extensive mod matrix, 16x4 sequencer, built in delay, and patch memory all for $500. Nothing at the time could match that feature set at that price point. Not sure what retail stores have to do with it because I bought it online just like the modular stuff I started buying in the late '90s. Nobody expected to find this stuff at Guitar Center, although they did have Voyagers, Studio Electronics boxes and maybe some others.

Edit: I suppose the Waldorf Pulse was also in that ballpark. Don't know the original retail price but I don't think it was being made anymore at that point.
Retailers matter because they're needed to get the kind of scales needed to get the performance/price race to the bottom we know today. Analog never stopped: it went underground after its "Disco sucks" early 90s moment, and stayed there until the early 2010s or so when retailers were taken by surprise by the demand for these new cheap monosynths like the MiniBrute or MS-20 mini. Once retailers got on board is when we saw a literal explosion of analog synths, big enough to attract Behringer.

A microKORG surpasses the Evolver. Evolver, like modular at the time, was a weird niche thing aficionados could track down online. MiniBrute is when analog went microKORG, and made sense to a much wider audience.
Old 27th January 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Nah chief thats just nonsense. Hip Hop, house, techno, electro, jungle ,dubstep etc , were all pioneered by people whose imagination dwarfed their budget.

Even more modern styles like footwork/juke broke ground using either ITb or with emu romplers from the 90's and the roland R8.
Old 27th January 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToyBox View Post
Retailers matter because they're needed to get the kind of scales needed to get the performance/price race to the bottom we know today. Analog never stopped: it went underground after its "Disco sucks" early 90s moment, and stayed there until the early 2010s or so when retailers were taken by surprise by the demand for these new cheap monosynths like the MiniBrute or MS-20 mini.
Short memory.
The analog revival really kicked off with rave, then house and techno in the mid-90's. Doepfer actually sold a boatload of modular in the 90's. About that time Waldorf brought out the Pulse mono synth. Novation made a big splash and sold a lot of Bass stations and Drum stations.
These were sold in large amounts by mainstream retailers.
They were cheap and mass market.
1993:
Old 27th January 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
In the demos the filter sounds great to me.
The whole package is unbelievable value for money.
I don’t get why everything has to be polyphonic.
Four note chords are big enough. Single notes cover a wide area of basses, leads, fx.
The Korg Mono/Poly didn't seem to have a problem doing nice chords with four note paraphony either. In fact, the Microfreak on paper reminds me a lot of how the Mono/Poly approaches sound generation.

(It would be a very nice companion synth to a MIDI equipped M/P, and that's my justification for getting a Microfreak on Day 1. )
Old 27th January 2019
Lives for gear

Yes I'm sure successful producers are totally honest and give away all their techniques and gear lists on the internet... "I totally made this just with a plastic bucket, that's how good I am, brah!"

Anyway, back to topic. This sounds good and hopefully will not have a bunch of MIDI bugs forcing you to sample the machine if you want to include its sequences in your tracks.... Typically with Arturia, MIDI sync issues can be expected...
Old 27th January 2019
Quote:
Yes I'm sure successful producers are totally honest and give away all their techniques and gear lists on the internet...
1) I've been working with successful musicians since the mid-80's. There is no 'it has to be expensive to be useful' rule.
2) You are purposely avoiding the fact many debut artists have hit records that were made before they had any money.
As mentioned above, a whole bunch of hip-hop, techno, house. Punk and New Wave bands had million selling records using ****ty guitars and drums being recorded in budget studios.
A couple of Joy Division's biggest hits used a cheap synthesiser that was made as a DIY kit out of an electronics magazine. It is the signature sound in the tracks.

Old 27th January 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reptil View Post
Why not give it a coat of paint yourself? I'm serious.
The body I see no problem to do it, but the keys I’m not so sure, I’ve never touched a keyboard like that, is it a membrane?
Old 27th January 2019
It's just like touching a metal surface. You touch instead of pressing down on a keyboard. It takes about 1 minute to get used to.
Old 27th January 2019
Lives for gear

This will be my first synth of the year.

IMO it was Korg who started the "cheap" analog thing with the Monotribe. The stuff that predated that might have been inexpensive, but it wasn't as much of a casual purchase. Then it exploded with the Brutes.
Old 27th January 2019
Lives for gear

The print pattern of the keyboard looks like Gustav Klimt's painting.

Portrait of Adele Bloch-Bauer I

Old 27th January 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpro600k View Post
The print pattern of the keyboard looks like Gustav Klimt's painting.
I'm waiting for the Freak Brutes with the Gilbert Shelton design...
Old 27th January 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
It's just like touching a metal surface. You touch instead of pressing down on a keyboard. It takes about 1 minute to get used to.
But can you paint over it without ruining it?
Old 27th January 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by A.I. Batule Chee View Post
But can you paint over it without ruining it?
I don't think so. It's a capacitive touch plate keyboard. You can see on each key that half the squares are connected by diagonal lines, and the rest are unconnected on the top (but on the bottom). When you put your finger down on top, you're creating a connection between the two -- the area of your finger on the key varies the amount of connection between the two grids. The color is most likely because they're gold-plated.

Last edited by Rimwolf; 27th January 2019 at 08:55 PM.. Reason: removed some hedging
Old 27th January 2019
Yep, I wouldn't paint it.
Old 27th January 2019
Lives for gear

Then it couldn't be a proper Wasp tribute paint job, the keyboard MUST be yellow to give the ultimate effect

Arturia if you're reading, make a Microfreak Wasp tribute edition please!

Last edited by A.I. Batule Chee; 27th January 2019 at 09:03 PM.. Reason: Added image to make a point.
Old 27th January 2019
Anyone considering an Arturia purchase should look at how the Matrixbrute owners are being treated.
There is a long list of bugs that need to be fixed and an equally long list of feature requests that would make the Matrixbrute great. They've been promising a firmware update for 2 years with no firm date or discussion of progress.
I encourage you guys to avoid spending your hard earned dollars on a company that treats its customers so poorly. Go check out their user forum to see how they've treated Origin as well as Matrixbrute owners. There are other companies that treat their customers like gold, we should support them. It's too bad that such great synths are being created by such an irresponsible company.
Cheers.
Old 27th January 2019
Lives for gear
Behringer Crave make this look big and expensive :D

I’m with those who thinks that looks matter. I have red 101, Moog The Source and EDP Wasp and all three look cool to me so i will never sell those even that i’m not even using them

I also have Korg Prophecy and its fugly.
📝 Reply