The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Behringer's Elka Synthex Keyboard Synthesizers
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Behringer's Elka Synthex

Look what we just added to our synth collection?
The Elka Synthex was developed by independent Italian designer Mario Maggi. Only 1850 units were ever produced by Italian company Elka between 1981 and 1985. Famous artists who used it include Jean-Michel Jarre and Stevie Wonder etc.
What an amazing sounding synth and master piece of engineering - we can't stop playing it
:-)

Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

dammit, yes!
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponkine View Post
Look what we just added to our synth collection?
The Elka Synthex was developed by independent Italian designer Mario Maggi. Only 1850 units were ever produced by Italian company Elka between 1981 and 1985. Famous artists who used it include Jean-Michel Jarre and Stevie Wonder etc.
What an amazing sounding synth and master piece of engineering - we can't stop playing it
:-)

'We can't stop playing it'...... 'So we're going to clone it'

Coolaudio do CEMs don't they ?
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

finally something interesting from B
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut

synth

thought it was the best sounding one when I played it at mn studio out of pro 5 Jupiter8 and oberhiem 4 v or 8.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

the question is WHEN? 2039? so much teasing
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

By the time Uli is finished we’re all going to be so broke that every slut here will be forced to co-habitate in a SlutzShelter. A chilling vision, to be sure, but then again think of the synth room.
Old 4 weeks ago
I doubt anyone has ever gone broke buying Behringer gear. Which is kinda the point, I guess.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

But it’ll start to add up at this rate. 25 synths later and I’ll be looking a lot like this...

Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Would absolutely love a Synthex remake. The sounds from it on Rendezvous are still some of my favourites.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Who cares when it's cloned and ready, we should all just enjoy the ride and make some tunes along the way.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

The Synthex is a very nice DCO synth. It also featured the CEM3320 filter configured as a multimode filter.

You can read more about the various CEM3320 filter configurations on Electric Druid.
Old 4 weeks ago
Deleted 46dc28f
I doubt even the staunchest vintage synth snob could resist buying a Bynthex.
Old 4 weeks ago
I'll probably get one, but I basically have no use for 80's DCO polysynths.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Would the purists complain if it didn't include the tape and computer interfaces?
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by cake100 View Post
Would the purists complain if it didn't include the __________________________?
Yes. And incessantly.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted 46dc28f View Post
I doubt even the staunchest vintage synth snob could resist buying a Bynthex.
Had the original(s) and eventually sold them (early prototype and later model w. MIDI).

Not interested in another one that might appear in 2 years or so (or even appearing today).

The future hype wears me out. Rather than wait for an MS-101, I ended up buying an original 6 months ago for a decent price and have been able to use it all this time.

YMMV
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason moyer View Post
I'll probably get one, but I basically have no use for 80's DCO polysynths.
But does it have a typical 80's DCO sound? From the clips I've seen I think it sounds stronger and more versatile than any of the others. Junos for instance are cool and all, but sound a bit samey.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgearguy View Post
Had the original(s) and eventually sold them (early prototype and later model w. MIDI).

Not interested in another one that might appear in 2 years or so (or even appearing today).

The future hype wears me out. Rather than wait for an MS-101, I ended up buying an original 6 months ago for a decent price and have been able to use it all this time.

YMMV
If you covet the classic enough to justify the current costs, and can afford it, then why not buy the original? As a former 101 owner I don’t need that sound enough to justify the current costs, so I sold it.

However there’s plenty of people that don’t have the means to pay for the classic, or aren’t willing to spend that much money on something 30+ years old, or also want whatever modern conveniences get attached in the Behringer process.

Yes, have to be patient and realistic with all the things coming out of Behringer at the moment...just because they announce or tease something people shouldn’t expect it to ship today or even 6 months from now. Even if they were straight cloning something, the whole process takes time, and they have many projects going concurrently.
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

I do not understand why people say it is digital osc and not DCO
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by eXode View Post
The Synthex is a very nice DCO synth. It also featured the CEM3320 filter configured as a multimode filter.

You can read more about the various CEM3320 filter configurations on Electric Druid.
Talk about unique filters! And am I dirty for wanting to plug something into that DB15?
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morten74 View Post
I do not understand why people say it is digital osc and not DCO
I think it was mentioned in another thread that the sawtooth is digitally generated using a counter and a DAC, but at a variable clock rate so there's no aliasing. So it's not exactly like a traditional DCO, but it's "digital" in a sense... though not like VA or sample based.

A Behringer Synthex clone would be something to keep an eye on. I've always liked the Synthex but considered it too unobtanium for the likes of me.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Hell yeah a Synthex! Clone away!!!!!
Old 4 weeks ago
Cant believe theyre ripping off Synthex, oh the humanity
Old 4 weeks ago
just pre ordered on sweetwater
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Elka Synthex | Vintage Synth Explorer

Elka Synthex

The Synthex is a very lush sounding classic analog 8 voice synthesizer. Later versions implemented basic MIDI functions. It has 30 knobs, 6 sliders, 80 switches and a joystick. Powerful sounds with 2 oscillators per note, separate envelope generators, chorus and even a sequencer! The use of stable DCO's (digitally controlled analog oscillators) and oscillator cross modulation of Pulse Width and a multimode filter made it unique in its time.

There is a cool joystick that replaces traditional pitch/mod wheels and allows for greater variable real-time control over the two LFOs, oscillator and filter modulation. The 6 sliders beside the joystick assign what (LFO, osc and filter) goes to the joystick. Voices can also be layered or split across the keyboard. Other great features include the onboard digital Ring-Modulator, Chorus effect and Dual or Layer modes available. And also a four-track sequencer rounds out this synths host of features. Two of it's tracks can output MIDI data.

This is just an extremely good analog and unique synth excellent for pads, drones and glistening lead sounds. They're a bit of a pain to service and find parts for. However many famous artists such as Tangerine Dream and Nick Rhodes (Duran Duran) have used one, and Jean Michel Jarre swears by it. One last Synthex was made just for Stevie Wonder after their production run eventually ended.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Oh..OK .. The synthex! But it's DCO, right? It better sound better than the VSTI

But seriously.. I suggest they better get working on the Jupiter 8 clone first.. or maybe just finish that UB-XA within 10 years. Or any of the other clones for that matter!

I do love the Boog though! Still playing it every day!
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Don't know if Behringer are really gonna build this one. It seems that despite all the hype, no one really likes the Synthex as much as other classics. There was a kickstarter a couple of years ago to build new Synthexes from the old parts inventory but there was not enough interest. A shame really.

Elka Synthex synthesisers by Generalmusic | Indiegogo

Although the new Moog might change that?
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Personally, I wait for the Black Corporation's Xerxes (whilst in rack format)
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Put me down for one 100%
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search