The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
New Elektron incoming = Model:Samples Drum Machines & Samplers
Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Analog View Post
The Digitone is four-part multitimbral.
Monomachine is too - 6 part internal, 6 part external.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Hold up...Did Casio secretly buy Elektron in a secret auction? It looks like...the Casiotron! This will pair nicely with my trusty SK-1...

Seriously, this is what happens when a company abandons their design philosophy and spends 5+ years slagging away at computer integration. They probably lost so much money in the last 5 years (even though they had expanded) that this is what it's come to. Elektron will no longer be associated with innovation by the looks of things. The magic is gone folks. At one of the biggest music-manufacturer festivals they bring this? In 2019? I'd expect something like this from Casio, but not Elektron, c'mon! My, how the mighty have fallen...
Old 4 weeks ago
Cool product.

Not for anyone who owns a RYTM or Digitakt, and def not as anyone’s main sample player/drum machine if they plan on tracking out, mixing, etc.

Still, the price is low and it might just be the ultimate Elektron gateway drug for those who haven’t used their gear before.

I see why they did it...
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Core Elektron sample "machine" per track (envelope, filter, LFO), P-locks, chromatic mode, polyrhythms, tempo dividers, class-compliant USB audio, audio and MIDI tracks, load multiple samples simultaneously, MIDI THRU...

Also, future battery power via optional (probably expensive) extra, but it does connect to the side, perhaps suggesting that multiple Model: models can be connected together.

Seems a lot more interesting after scratching the surface...
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc_the_Darc View Post
Guessing the sample transfer isn't class compliant, but require dumb proprietary software like on the Digitakt (that hasn't changed, has it?). Better fill the memory fast when/if the software works, because there's nothing like a sample player where you can't exchange the samples at all.
Pity, after the price drop this might otherwise have been interesting.
WHY DRAW CONCLUSION BASED ON NO FACT?

If it is like the OT which is also a usb connection, open in windows/mac and drag n drop to absolutely any location in the machine.

Tricky stuff
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie munro View Post

If it is like the OT which is also a usb connection, open in windows/mac and drag n drop to absolutely any location in the machine.

Tricky stuff
According to the manual, there's an app
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

For people announcing the death of Elektron from behind their designated keyboard-warrior stylings, try to look around at the wider market.

Modal have gone from making 5K synths to Kickstarter projects. There's the boutique range, the Behringer stuff, the Korg Volcas going strong, the Microbrutes... and on and on.

Elektron don't have a presence in this end of the market, so if you can't understand why this machine has been announced, then I'm pretty sure the existence of all the aforementioned is reason enough.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie munro View Post

Tricky stuff
Yeah. True that, but the sample architecture sounds like it's been ripped straight from the AR/DT which would mean use of Transfer app.

No overbridge
No batteries
No song mode

But 300 bucks less than Digitakt - I'm sure it will be a great gateway-drug into the world of Elektron.

/C
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

And I'm actually relieved that this box is not even remotely on my radar. Lots of cool things have already appeared ahead of this NAMM.

/C
Old 4 weeks ago
I’m happy about the new machine.

I already have everything else elektron makes,

and at least this year I get to keep my money.

I better start saving up for when they release their next “big box”.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Elektron Model:Samples

I can’t quite figure out where they’re going with this but I’m extremely intrigued. No inputs for sampling though

Check it out: Model:Samples | Elektron
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Lame lol
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Guru

It's not cheap, at $399 USD that will turn out to be around $800 here in oz when it's all said and done..
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by proverbs View Post
According to the manual, there's an app
yeah fair play i have just seen that, not that this thing matters to me as a box but at least after reading the manual it does seem they are allowing proper file transfer rates in addition to midi SDS
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Dear elektron - ditch the soft buttons and go back to clicky clack - they are better, at the very least on 1-16 trigs.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by xanax View Post
Those icons & text remind me a lot of OP-1 / TE nomenclature. If i were to guess I'd say it's a pocket thingy.
..called it

Sadly, last innovative product that caught my attention from them was AR released already 5 years ago.
Ever since they've only recycled their MK1 boxes & released lower-end diffusion versions.. and the trend seems to continue.

It's kinda like when Roland went from JP-8s & 909s to Boss DR & JV rack units. :(
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddlestickz View Post
It's not cheap, at $399 USD that will turn out to be around $800 here in oz when it's all said and done..
But you probably can buy the Deluge in any supermarket for crazy cheap?

/C
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mutilatedlip View Post
For people announcing the death of Elektron from behind their designated keyboard-warrior stylings, try to look around at the wider market.

Modal have gone from making 5K synths to Kickstarter projects. There's the boutique range, the Behringer stuff, the Korg Volcas going strong, the Microbrutes... and on and on.

Elektron don't have a presence in this end of the market, so if you can't understand why this machine has been announced, then I'm pretty sure the existence of all the aforementioned is reason enough.
Whoa Slappy, no one said Elektron was finished, but they have clearly fallen off the pedestal.

With this latest product they have essentially placed themselves below every company you mentioned-with the obvious exception being Modal who had no choice but to explore Kickstarter. When one of the biggest musical instrument distributors in NA drop you, it's time to re-invent yourself- they didn't have a choice.

Elektron used to have their own presence-which made them stand out in the crowd. Now, they're getting lost in the sauce. Nothing they do is innovative at this point-zero, nada, zilch.

We went from the greatness of Machinedrum (still one of the best digital drum machines ever made, to Monomachine (still in a league of it's own), to Octatrack (the most innovative product ever produced by Elektron) to the age of Overbridge- onwards. And here we are in 2019- at the whoop-dee-doo stage, where they're producing things that look like Casio stocking-stuffers.

Users have been asking (hoping) for an Elektron-styled mixer/effects box for years now. That would have been a great idea. This, not so much.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut

That’s a big white forehead on top there.
Old 4 weeks ago
Brb
Gear Addict

The only thing I like about it is the amount of per function knobs
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

to quote a friend of mine: "it's too expensive to be this ugly"
Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRSC View Post
Whoa Slappy, no one said Elektron was finished, but they have clearly fallen off the pedestal.

With this latest product they have essentially placed themselves below every company you mentioned-with the obvious exception being Modal who had no choice but to explore Kickstarter. When one of the biggest musical instrument distributors in NA drop you, it's time to re-invent yourself- they didn't have a choice.

Elektron used to have their own presence-which made them stand out in the crowd. Now, they're getting lost in the sauce. Nothing they do is innovative at this point-zero, nada, zilch.

We went from the greatness of Machinedrum (still one of the best digital drum machines ever made, to Monomachine (still in a league of it's own), to Octatrack (the most innovative product ever produced by Elektron) to the age of Overbridge- onwards. And here we are in 2019- at the whoop-dee-doo stage, where they're producing things that look like Casio stocking-stuffers.

Users have been asking (hoping) for an Elektron-styled mixer/effects box for years now. That would have been a great idea. This, not so much.
Lately I’ve been getting the same impression.

To this day, NOTHING else gives me the raw sound I can get from my machinedrum. The RYTM sounds weak in comparison.

Monomachine is still the quirkiest thing I own. For a digital device, it has so much unique character. Every time I program that thing I get lost in how unique sounding it is.

Octatrack was this ambitious thing that gave me a legitimate reason to sample outside of software. Nothing else has come close.

After that, downhill...

The Analog Keys and RYTM were a bit of a letdown. The analog engines are cool but i always find they need a ton of external processing to sound the way I want. With the RYTM I always ended up using samples, and then getting frustrated by the 128 start/end editing thing. Also, I had 2 RYTMS with failing pads. Those pads suck. Useless.

The biggest saving grace to those were the improvements to the sequencer.

Yes, every single Elektron owner who has been with them from the beginning has been begging for a mixer/effects box to tie the whole thing together. Hopefully this new product makes them a bunch of $ so they can develop it.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brb View Post
The only thing I like about it is the amount of per function knobs
There's one other thing going for it -

Individual Step Length per track + Individual Tempo Multiplier per track - the Octatrack being the only other Elektron device that does both individual length and individual tempo multiplier per track.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Straight from the manual.

MOD Mode can be set to either PATTERN or TRACK. In PATTERN mode all tracks share the same SCALE and LENGTH settings. In TRACK mode, all tracks can have individual SCALE and LENGTH set- tings. Press [T1–6] to select the track to set the scale for.
LEN Length sets the step length (amount of steps) of the pattern/track.
SCL Scale controls the time signature of the pattern. It o ers seven possible settings, 1/8X, 1/4X, 1/2X, 3/4X, 1X, 3/2X and 2X. A setting of 1/8X plays back the pattern at one-eighth of the set tempo. 3/4X plays the pattern back at three-quarters of the tempo; 3/2X plays back the pattern twice as fast as the 3/4X setting. 2X makes the pattern play at twice the BPM.
CHG Change controls for how long the active pattern plays before it loops or a cued (the next select- ed) pattern begins to play. If CHG is set to 64, the pattern behaves like a pattern consisting of 64 steps regarding cueing and chaining. If CHG is set to OFF, the default change length is INF (in nite) in TRACK mode and the same value as LEN in PATTERN mode.
Old 4 weeks ago
Kja
Lives for gear
Plus it will have a battery handle at a later date, so for electron that will be in five years.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Looks like a control panel for a medical gear.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DomiBabi View Post
Lately I’ve been getting the same impression.

To this day, NOTHING else gives me the raw sound I can get from my machinedrum. The RYTM sounds weak in comparison.

Monomachine is still the quirkiest thing I own. For a digital device, it has so much unique character. Every time I program that thing I get lost in how unique sounding it is.

Octatrack was this ambitious thing that gave me a legitimate reason to sample outside of software. Nothing else has come close.

After that, downhill...

The Analog Keys and RYTM were a bit of a letdown. The analog engines are cool but i always find they need a ton of external processing to sound the way I want. With the RYTM I always ended up using samples, and then getting frustrated by the 128 start/end editing thing. Also, I had 2 RYTMS with failing pads. Those pads suck. Useless.

The biggest saving grace to those were the improvements to the sequencer.

Yes, every single Elektron owner who has been with them from the beginning has been begging for a mixer/effects box to tie the whole thing together. Hopefully this new product makes them a bunch of $ so they can develop it.
I don't think Elektron listen to or care about what their supporters want. They do what they want to do and well, here we are.
Old 4 weeks ago
VST
Lives for gear

I like it.
The only thing I don't like it you can't play chromatically easily so an external keyboard is a must but it's only on 3.5mm MIDI.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Battery not included, literally.

How much for the power bank? $50? $75? I mean, come on ...
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Anyone know-

1) If it supports stereo samples (or if the stereo out is only stereo because of pan positions)

2) if it works with Overbridge

3) if so, if we can access 6 x individual audio streams for mixing in the DAW

?

I can't see that info on their website.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search