The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Synth lifeboat exercise Keyboard Synthesizers
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Synth lifeboat exercise

Hi gang - Been super busy with work lately and in the process of a massive move which got me thinking:

I've had a zillion synths and other instruments over the years and while my "studio" is packed in boxes for the time-being, and moving gear can be stressful, I asked myself:

What synth(s) would end up in my lifeboat?

In other words - With dozens of keyboards and sound makers - If I had to narrow it down and let the others go, which would I keep?

Gave it some thought.

For me, the lifeboat versus let it drown list of what I have today is as follows if I could only keep three (with explanation - let's hear yours).

In the lifeboat:

#1 - OB8 - Not only does this thing play itself, it is a true panel-player's synth that no other poly analog on the planet sounds like. If you want synth brass and stacked saws that are organic and alive, this is it. And it has probably the best performance-oriented interface I've ever touched. Why the 8 over the Xa or X? I can service and calibrate it in an hour or two.

#2 - Jupiter 6. Unlike the Jupiter 8, this has midi as you know, but more importantly, it has a much wider palette. The JP8 does a great job at what it does, but stays so within its sweet spot, that it really isn't that flexible where the JP6 is. I have yer to find any limitations with the sound of the JP6 - Interface, playability, sound, flexibility... Makes the JP8 seem like.... well... completely inadequate.

#3 Prophet 600 - I have to say, I really love what Dave did with this consumer-level product. Sure the build isn't great with the plasticky knobs and the less than stellar Matsush!ta keyboard, but for strings and an accessible interface, it is very very good. I actually have 2 of them - One with a GLIGLI, and one without, and I prefer the original - It's a really great board, particularly for the money.

Throw it out of the boat and let it drown (since I can only save three):

1 - Prologue 16. Not a complete POS, but compared to the above, its emphasis on effects and gain staging (poorly executed) make it a really weak contender.

2 - DM 12 - Don't get along with it. If this thing was supposed to have the soul of a J106, I'm not seeing it - Dry, crisp, bad interface, horrible build and nothing I can think of that makes it a decent instrument (except it's cheap I guess)

3- System 8 - Great interface, light, small and flexible - A real chameleon - But is this a hardware synth or a VST controller? Sounds good and does A LOT well, but I think that if you're a cloud customer and not a live panel player then I'm not sure who this is for.

4 - Jupiter 8. Going to be harsh here, but after 30 years+ as an owner, I don't get the hype. The JP8 is really unique in that it was the first (if not only) 8 voice VCO poly that had the accuracy of tuning of the later DCO synths, had a great interface, nice build, clean sound, etc.

But not unlike other analog VCO synths of the time, it's no different. Reedy, harmonica/ accordion soul and that's about it. Sounds good/ pristine if that's the sound you're after but a very narrow sound pallet and character - And that's not even factoring in how insanely overpriced it is.

5 - JV-1080 - Sounds great and does GM well. But really - Can't we just do this in software these days? Can't imagine buying it's successor either (Itegra) Throw it overboard.

6- JX-03, JP-08, JU-06...

The only reason that I might not toss these overboard is because they are small, light, etc. Can't think of anything else nice to say about them unfortunately.

7- Korg Monologue - Kind of on the fence here. I really like it, but can't get past how some of the controls that I care about don't scale with pitch - I've figured out how to get around it, but... GREAT sequencer, which is why it's nearly last on my drown list, but not sure I'll do much with it - we'll see.

8-Preen FM2 - Hate to see this on the "drown" list - This is an epic synth, with epic sound, epic software and I built it. Organs, bells, can do DX7 patches (better), it is truly interesting for an FM synth with the number of operators, voices and algorithms it can support and is completely open source and customizable (That and I built it, was cheap, is tiny) - I don't use it a lot, but sorry to throw this one overboard.

9- dozens others not mentioned and not worth mentioning....

What would you fill your lifeboat with and what would you throw overboard?

HAGWE!

Greg

PS - In true GS fashion, I know that the only correct answer to this is "throw your wife and other junk overboard and save all your synths and get another boat if there is't enough room at the exact time you were about to get 10 more".

Get on with it.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

OP Z I can save space for food, water, disposable wipes, usb batteries. Have fun with your Moog Ones and power generators chumps!

Edit: oh ya, I guess that means I would throw everything else out; Abyss, Analog Four, Minilogue...kinda bringing me to tears just thinking about it

Last edited by Stu Pete; 4 weeks ago at 06:11 AM.. Reason: See above
Old 4 weeks ago
Mpc Live

Let the rest drown because Ive sampled the fck out of them
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Pete View Post
OP Z I can save space for food, water, disposable wipes, usb batteries. Have fun with your Moog Ones and power generators chumps!

Edit: oh ya, I guess that means I would throw everything else out; Abyss, Analog Four, Minilogue...kinda bringing me to tears just thinking about it
LOL!!!!

Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcearl View Post
Mpc Live

Let the rest drown because Ive sampled the fck out of them
You're hilarious - So practical as all he!!

BTW - You are completely right about me - I have insanely spoiled ears - Not because what I love that I think someone else should - Just that I do.

Cheers KC

GKNYC
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

The OB-8 is a pretty great synth already - if you have one that plays itself I'd think it was no contest (as long as it will perform in front of others).

Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I should add:

The OB8 I have is very early and this is my first experience w/ a Pratt Reed KB.

It plays itself - it's pure butter -spectacular.

Gregko
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Guru

I’m going though this right now. On one hand, I could do everything with a computer, audio interface, midi controller and guitar. But then, the local villagers of Gearslutzlylvania would run me out of here with burning torches.

My “lifeboat” (at the moment) is...

Pro 2
Microvolt 3900 (direct wired to the Pro 2 so they function as one)
Tempest
Dominion 2
002r
Prophet 6

Getting the ol’ heave-ho:

Micromonsta (gone. Love this one, but it is software running in a box)
Neptune 2 (this hurts, but I’m hoping the Dominion 1 will be enough of a three osc mono for me)
ATC-X (this one really hurts, but again, I’m thinking the Dominion 1 will be enough.)
Bass Station 2 (sorry, you’re amazing for the money, but...)
Maschine (I was just as happy using a controller and DAW)
Tenori-On (I might keep this for my daughter... but she’ll probably look at it and show me her iPad )
TS-10 (Ouch. Just bought this for it’s poly aftertouch enabled keyboard, but the truth is I’ve got a Roli Rise 49)
Tetras (x2) (It’s my Prophet 08+, but it’s either these or the Tempest, and I’m coming down on the side of Tempest.)

When I first came up with that plan, it made me feel a little sick, but I started taking a hard look at what I did with things. I went though all my awesome ATC presets, and I really noticed that with it, and a lot of my hardware, I keep my patches pretty damn basic and put the emphasis of creativity on composition. The last track I finished ended up having the ATC part replaced by Legend so I could quickly try out an idea, and in the end I couldn’t find a reason to go back to hardware. My sound design really seems to open up when I’m in the Pro 2 anyway, and now that it’s paired with the Microvolt, it’s a f’n monster. Well, even more of a monster. A spent some time trying to replicate my ATC-X stuff with the Pro 2, and while I couldn’t get this exact, of course, I could get things that I liked just as much that were similar.

I’m already using Syntronik for things that I really want to have a vintage bread and butter sounds. I’ll max that out. I’m lucky that I don’t have an issue using software, because there are some amazing synths out there. I upgraded to Dune 3 this Christmas, and wow. So, while my meatspace studio is being constricted, my cyberspace studio is vast. Plus, I’m actually complaining about only having 6 synths? WTF? If I can’t make good music with 6 amazing synthesizers, I suck. (Well, I suck anyway, no matter what the synth count is. )
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

It’s a trick question

None of us can afford boats

Boats are for people without synths
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I don't have a boat either, but I'll play.

I bought very few synths in the last decade. Rather, I was forced to sell several, among them a few heavyweights (Chroma, Andromeda, AN1x, Yamaha VL1m...) - which still gives me nightmares...

But I did not switch to software. Instead, I tried to really concentrate on what was left, and develop a deep knowledge of those. And anyway, I *did* buy a couple of new ones.

The result? I now know most of my synths inside out, so it would be difficult to part with any of them: Each contains hundreds of my own sound, a lot of work... that would be enough reason to keep them all.

Anyway:

1) DSI Evolver. I have both the mono keyboard and the poly rack, and it's perhaps the only synth of which I can say to have almost run out of combinations to try, despite its complexity. It's my main solo voice. I find that the magic of having both analog and digital oscillators in the same architecture gives it a special tone.

2) Oberheim Matrix-12. I don't think I have to explain that. Not the best sounding Oberheim (although still very good), but the architecture is a programmer's dream, and it has a fantastic interface.

3) Kurzweil K2600R. It's been my main synth for decades now. The amount of work, time and energy which I have put into it is immense, starting from the K2000 - upgrading models and options, buying sounds and samples, and especially programming and organizing my sounds. I couldn't see my studio without it; most my musical endeavors start from there.

4) Waldorf Q. I have had the Q for a number of years, but only during the last year or so I have really sank my teeth into its inner workings. It's a fantastic machine with a great architecture and a personal sound quality; I have made sounds on it that I haven't approached with any other machine.

At this point, am I supposed to say that I'm ready to give up on the TG77, SE-1, JX-10, DW8000, WS, Integra7, Boog, Pro12, Ion, etc...?!
Well, forget it!
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Easy, Waldorf Quantum if I could only have one. If I’m allowed three then I’d add in the sunsyn and tempest. At four the Solaris sneaks in.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Tempest
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

The Prophet 12 is the first synth loaded onto the lifeboat. It’s so nice to program, so flexible covering everything from tinkly FM to warm analogue to far out sound design. Sure, it’s not the weightiest sound (though there are sound design tricks to help a bit), but there is so much it does do well, into the lifeboat it goes with a life jacket attached to be safe.

My Kawai CA78 is next. It’s just a big digital piano, but it has the best key action currently available, and the sound engine is great too, deep sampled with resonance modelling and a virtual technician mode that allows you to tweak the sound until it’s just right. Just a joy to sit down and play.

My OP-1 would be the other. Partly because the Kawai is so big and heavy, there’s not much room left on the lifeboat, but it would also let me make some tunes until I got rescued. It’s just such a nicely done device. The sampler is very stripped back and fast to work with, not unlike an Akai S612, but also has the drum mode, the synths, sequencers, fx, microphone and four tracker. It’s a complete, if basic, production environment. It’s also got an FM radio, so handy for trying to pick up storm warnings and maybe navigating to land based on signal strength...

Overboard?

The OB6. It’s a big favourite on this forum, so there are probably some people on here aghast that the toylike OP-1 or the Prophet 12 with its allegedly terrible filter (it’s not so bad really), or a digital piano would get preference. However, the OB’s limited synthesis options and tonal palette work against it here. I’ve always felt the four octave keyboard restrictive. And there’s something a bit stiff about the envelopes.

Yamaha TG77. It was the long time reigning king of FM until the Montage came out. But programming it from the front panel isn’t exactly a fast and joyful process.

Reface CS. It’s surprisingly good sounding and despite the small number of controls it’s probably more versatile than OB6. But mini keys and no presets.

Moog Sub37. It does it’s Moog thing and the paraphonic mode adds a lot. Not really machine for deep creative synthesis though. And I like to play chords. Sometimes with both hands.

Reface CP. This very nearly came in the lifeboat because I love it so much, but I figured I’ve already got one piano in there. This thing is just such a nicely done instrument with the FX controls, really nice EP sounds and a really surprisingly playable keyboard considering it’s size. It’s just a really nicely done instrument that’s joyful to play. Maybe I can stash it within the innards of the Kawai...

Korg Radias. Great fun with routing one layer into another via the aux bus, cool mod sequencer and vocoder. And the rarely seen polyphonic comb filter. But it sounds thin. Really thin. I’m still annoyed Korg screwed up with the King Korg by trying to make it a performance synth to complete against the Nords rather than building on the Radias design.

Korg MS2000R. The microkorg is a classic, so why did it’s knobby big brother with mod sequencer get outshone? Maybe four note poly is ok on something the size of the microkorg, but it’s not enough on the more grown up version. There are still some sounds I can’t get out of anything else, and they sell for so little, I still keep it around. Also it's among the more characterful, vintage sounding vocoders out there. But it’s not coming on the lifeboat.

Arturia Minibrute. Fun for squelchy acid lines and Roland style hollow square bass (using the sub osc). The filter is certainly characterful. There’s not really enough going on to earn it a place though.

Korg monotron delay. This thing has one of the most dirty, characterful delays I’ve heard. And is great for fast lfo chirps and dives. The LFO depth control has broken on mine and it’s stuck on maximum depth. It doesn’t actually matter. It’s so small, I may as well stick it in a spare pocket rather than let it sink.

Patchblocks. A bit limited without midi

Kaoss pads. They have synth, drum matches and sampling so probably qualify for this in some way. Cool, but I could live without them.

Last edited by adydub; 3 weeks ago at 10:02 PM.. Reason: mobile phone typos
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

you're all mad, you'd be heading off in this lifeboat with 3 huge keyboards.

i'd cheat: all the little stuff in one small water tight case, of course.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I'd just take the Buchla 201e-6 Powered Boat to get ashore faster.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregkoNYC View Post
I actually have 2 of them - One with a GLIGLI, and one without, and I prefer the original

4 - Jupiter 8. Going to be harsh here, but after 30 years+ as an owner, I don't get the hype. The JP8 is really unique in that it was the first (if not only) 8 voice VCO poly that had the accuracy of tuning of the later DCO synths, had a great interface, nice build, clean sound, etc.

But not unlike other analog VCO synths of the time, it's no different. Reedy, harmonica/ accordion soul and that's about it. Sounds good/ pristine if that's the sound you're after but a very narrow sound pallet and character - And that's not even factoring in how insanely overpriced it is.
How can the GLIGLI make the P600 worse?

I would love to have the JP8. I love when it gets bashed because it makes me feel better about not having one these days.

My own life boat doesn't have too much to go into it right now. I'll grab the Model D Boog.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by marino View Post
I don't have a boat either, but I'll play.

I bought very few synths in the last decade. Rather, I was forced to sell several, among them a few heavyweights (Chroma, Andromeda, AN1x, Yamaha VL1m...) - which still gives me nightmares...

But I did not switch to software. Instead, I tried to really concentrate on what was left, and develop a deep knowledge of those. And anyway, I *did* buy a couple of new ones.

The result? I now know most of my synths inside out, so it would be difficult to part with any of them: Each contains hundreds of my own sound, a lot of work... that would be enough reason to keep them all.

Anyway:

1) DSI Evolver. I have both the mono keyboard and the poly rack, and it's perhaps the only synth of which I can say to have almost run out of combinations to try, despite its complexity. It's my main solo voice. I find that the magic of having both analog and digital oscillators in the same architecture gives it a special tone.

2) Oberheim Matrix-12. I don't think I have to explain that. Not the best sounding Oberheim (although still very good), but the architecture is a programmer's dream, and it has a fantastic interface.

3) Kurzweil K2600R. It's been my main synth for decades now. The amount of work, time and energy which I have put into it is immense, starting from the K2000 - upgrading models and options, buying sounds and samples, and especially programming and organizing my sounds. I couldn't see my studio without it; most my musical endeavors start from there.

4) Waldorf Q. I have had the Q for a number of years, but only during the last year or so I have really sank my teeth into its inner workings. It's a fantastic machine with a great architecture and a personal sound quality; I have made sounds on it that I haven't approached with any other machine.

At this point, am I supposed to say that I'm ready to give up on the TG77, SE-1, JX-10, DW8000, WS, Integra7, Boog, Pro12, Ion, etc...?!
Well, forget it!
I don’t think we’re suggesting that you, or anyone, should get rid of anything that you enjoy and have space for. I’m actually super happy with all my instruments. Of course there are things that bug me about each of them, even the ones that make it onto the lifeboat, but each of us has a “sweet spot” that can change during different points of your life.

When I started in the 80s, I had 1/4 of a synth. Me, my brother, and two of our friends all went in on a Juno 106. We were broke but wanted something to add strings to our tunes. I later added a DX100 but sold that (and abandoned my share of the 106) and went to some Yamaha PSR mini-key thing in 88 when I moved to California and couch surfed for a while. That was my sole synth for a pretty long time. To extend it’s non-programmable voices I’d use guitar pedals.

In the 90s I added various synths. A DX27, DW8000, Poly800, and U220. I traded all of them for a TS-10. That was my sole synth for a decade and without Gearslutz, I never seemed to get a feeling that I was missing something, but during the .com boom, I started to make some money and that led to an explosion and my introduction to Gearslutery. (Well, I was kind of a Gearslut before that, but with guitar pedals and rack effects) That’s when I stupidly sold the TS-10 but added a Virus C, Micron, Wavestation SR, XV5050, SH32 and my first plugin, Absynth. When I look back, I feel like mentally that was my “sweet spot” of amount of synth options. That rig lasted years, but I stupidly sold it all off and went ITB when we decided to move to a one bedroom apartment so we could save money for a house. That didn’t happen, as we were told that in modern times, people didn’t put money down on houses! But I learned something. Software is amazing. I get why some of you don’t like it, but man, the sound of those instruments has progressed a lot, and IMO, a synth like Dune 3 sounds a lot better than my old Virus C.

So, when I started expanding my hardware, that shaped the kind of instruments I bought. I decided that there wasn’t a sonic benefit to having an all digital synth in hardware, and often the software equivalent was a lot easier to program. It corresponded to the explosion of analog we’re currently enjoying, so I filled a studio up with all the new goodies. Some, like the ATC, have stayed with me the entire time (though it went from the 1 to the X) but others, like the Minibrute and Pulse 2, didn’t last that long when I’d realized that I had so many synths things were hard to use. My current setup is the culmination of careful pruning and upgrading to a setup that I find easy to use and fit in my world. A month ago, my only gear change was the addition of a Microvolt 3900, which I ended up really liking a lot, and a TS-10, back in it’s rightful place.

But that boat was already taking on water. When our daughter was born, five years ago (she’ll tell you 5 and three quarters ) we decided that I’d be the stay home dad and my wife would continue on her more lucrative career until kindergarten. I’d take freelance work when it worked out and work on a personal project (book). That left me lots of time to play music. When a friend offered me a full time gig in December, I had to take it. It was also for working on a game that I really like, so it’s kind of a dream job. That dream is also a nightmare for my music time. It sucks, and it’s not going to get better. So, while before getting back into a new synth and an old favorite would have been an exciting joy, it now feels like a daunting chore. A task that has to be completed. That’s sh!tty, as it used to be one of my favorite parts of my hobby. I tried to ignore it, but it’s bugging me. I can’t shake the feeling that I need to shed crew members to save the women and children. I keep saying, “I’m in no rush to do this,” and then sort of rushing to do it. My wife is actually trying to stop me. I’m not exactly sure why, but I have a deep and persistent urge to just purge 2/3s of my synths and get to “terra firma.” It’s consuming me a bit. Look at this rant. Maybe I’m just trying to distract myself from the crappiness of my new situation. (Which isn’t that crappy.) I don’t know. I feel like I’ve spotted land and I have to just keep paddling until I get to it.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

If it was a lifeboat, I'd save the three most valuable. Then sell them at inflated prices to survivors.

If it was a desert island scenario, I'd keep my JV-1080 with cards, P6 and Odyssey.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac
River, Deluge, Tempest.

Old 4 weeks ago
Pip
Lives for gear

Soft synths aside (that doesn’t count ), I keep only 4 synths - keyboards, simply to keep my spending in line, if a want a new synth something has to go, so the one in one out principle, works for me - helps fund future purchases and keeps the boat not taking on any water, problem solved. I currently have a keyboard stand empty, waiting for my Solaris.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Nut

I'd take the CS80, but I'm worried it would make the lifeboat sink.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Where are we getting electricity and sound from ? Maybe I have to settle with bringing the pocket operator K.O! in a sandwich baggy along with a bag of batteries. I'll open the sandwich bag slightly to hear it during a jam session and hope for the best.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Fun thread OP
I’d take my digital piano, my rev2 and my korg arp. In this order - I could survive with just a piano.

Also I agree with your description of the JP8, I actually prefer the sound of the Junos to it.
Old 3 weeks ago
We're gonna need a bigger boat.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Maybe a lightweight keytar for rowing
Old 3 weeks ago
Pip
Lives for gear

Rowing a keytar
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

So this is like a more hardcore version of "desert island with electricity" question, yes (because obviously, you can fit a lot more synths on an average sized island!)?

Taking into account all the synths that I have right now, it would be like this. In the boat:

#1 Kurzweil PC3K8 - because you gotta have keys, and this is the only synth that I have with keys (NI S49mk2 doesn't count, and ROLI Seaboard RISE 49 doesn't count either). Not only is it one of the best master controllers out there, it can do lots of synthesis tricks. It is hampered by very slow modulation and gobs of aliasing you need to watch out for on almost every corner (yes, even with antialiased VA1 oscillators if you push them too far), but the flexibility itself inside the unit... it's a Kurzweil! Also, great FX in the unit. Shame that it doesn't have an audio input.

#2 Waldorf Microwave II - I don't think I really need to explain this one. Sure, it's not an XT, but it sounds the same, and in the end that's what matters the most.

#3 Ambika (SMR4 with switchable poles mod) - loads of character and extremely flexible regarding sequencing and polyphony allocation etc. Also just so that I can say I have some analog filters on my lifeboat.

Oh but wait! I found something else in my backpack that can totally fit in the lifeboat!

#4 Microsoft Surface with a bunch of great sounding plugins and a DAW. Boom!

Yep I know. That's cheating. Sue me.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

A true slut would leave all the synths behind on the sinking boat and as soon as one foot was on dry land they’d start a thread in the forum with the title What synths should I get with my $50,000 settlement?
Old 3 weeks ago
fav three ? not much has changed for me since last time we did this..

Andromeda - my go to analog. poly-modular, pad/string/drone galore, deep bass, step sequencers, gooey leads, multitimbrality..

Jupiter 8 - high class vintage poly, its rich silky sound character just speaks to me. always has. don't find it limited when used in musical context. for more complex stuff i use A6, or euro modular. if i couldn't take it with me for whatever reason, then close second choice: Prophet5 rev2.

PPG Wave 2 - hybrids have a special place in my heart and i have quite a few, but this one is undisputed king to my ears. warm, humongous headroom, anything from glassy, voxy to plucky and eeire tones bathed in syrup analog filter. in a word - magical.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search