The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
What is the sound in the opening of The Fixx Deeper and Deeper Virtual Instrument Plugins
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Head

What is the sound in the opening of The Fixx Deeper and Deeper

Within the first second, the very first opening sound, what is this? Are we listening to a single synthesized sound here, or is it more than one mixed on top of eachother? Is it a sample or is it a synthesized sound? It's very interesting, it's very clean, metallic, percussive but also has an element of pitch to it. I'm curious as to how it was created.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

PPG Wave all the way.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Weird.. I started a thread on the same thing about 2 weeks ago.

The Fixx - Deeper and Deeper

The prevailing thought is that it's PPG, but nobody seems to have much info beyond that.
Old 4 weeks ago
If no luck getting more info, you may want to write to the band's fan mail for more details.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut

I freaking LOVE that intro. I am also convinced it's a PPG Wave, well sequenced or run through a triggered gate. Rupert Greenall did some very creative stuff with his synths, including using a classic Frampton-style talk box to shape the sound. I'd love to know the details though.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

It sounds like the filter is controlled by a looping envelope where the decay time is modulated manually. Does the PPG have looping envelopes? It could of course have been run through some modular filter where that setup is possible.

This is something that you can do on many modern synths. I recognize it from some sounds on my Pro-2.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Love the synths on this track as well as on 'Stand or Fall'..
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggator6 View Post
Weird.. I started a thread on the same thing about 2 weeks ago.
Hah, so weird! We're on the same wavelength. I've been listening to the Fixx quite a bit recently as I've been digitizing my CDs and putting them on my phone. Love this particular track, especially that opening.
Quote:
Originally Posted by basehead617 View Post
Love the synths on this track as well as on 'Stand or Fall'..
Indeed. In fact I love a lot of their tracks, both the music and production is outstanding.

Last edited by mwtzzz; 4 weeks ago at 06:43 PM.. Reason: additional reply
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synth Guru View Post
If no luck getting more info, you may want to write to the band's fan mail for more details.
Good suggestion. By the way, love your profile avatar. I was born and raised in New Mexico. Last year I asked my sister to design a Kokopelli tattoo for me.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Not sure if this helps but Songfacts says:

"Rupert Hine created the distinctive keyboard part at the beginning of the song by triggering a keyboard from a pulse created by a LinnDrum. It was the triggering that made the unusual effect."

Deeper and Deeper by The Fixx - Songfacts

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search