The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Synths for sale     Latest  Trending
Slut confessions
Old 17th July 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by moodorf85 View Post
I have many synth-related confessions, here's one:

A few years back I bought an SQ-80 on ebay.

It arrived and it had these really, really CLACKY keys. Somehow in all of my research into that synth I didn't read anything about noisy keys. I disliked those noisy keys enough to want to return the synth. Other than that there really wasn't anything I didn't like about it.

I decided to return it because the guy who sold it offered returns.

So I went through all of the hassle of initiating a return on ebay, but the guy never got back to me about it...or Ebay. He just broke contact.

Somehow--and I don't remember how this happened exactly, some sort of technicality in Ebay's return policy or something--I managed to get a refund while still being allowed to keep the SQ-80.

But apparently an (essentially) free SQ-80 wasn't good enough for me at the time. I thought hey I'll sell the SQ-80 myself and take the money from this whole deal and buy that Tom Oberheim SEM MIDI module

So I did just that.....

...and I liked the SEM even less.

I should have just kept the SQ-80
FYI: You were not allowed to get the money back and keep the SQ-80
Old 17th July 2019
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcearl View Post
sending my kids to private school....
Shouldn't this be par for the course?

Funny, RE this website name. In the world of your children, they'll likely learn 'slut' as lazy/slovenly; so, if your child one day informs you that you are being 'such a slut', they aren't making a crude reference to your sexual proclivities!

To the OP RE his question:

If your question is judged in terms of material cost, probably my biggest musical indulgence was purchasing a Yamaha C3x grand and taking a bandsaw to it for the purposes of playing with climbing equipment:

Good sounds. Whether it can still be referred to as a piano is a different matter (i.e the keys aren't the primary striking mechanism).

I personally don't see it as 'slutty' as it allowed the exploration of a new sound world. If this was someone's only piano, it is, however, probably silly rather than slutty.

Synth-specific would probably be taking a Buchla apart for an art installation.

Synths, relatively speaking, aren't that expensive, when compared to acoustic/orchestral instruments. A new Model D is a purchase requiring consideration (I mean Steinway, not Moog); an investment of c.£80,000.
Old 18th July 2019
Gear Head
Finally!!! The precious arrives!!!!
Old 18th July 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Tonewheel View Post
Finally!!! The precious arrives!!!!
Wow that’s awesome! Loving all the knobs!
Old 18th July 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bignatius View Post
My name is Bignatius, and I'm now functioning a Eurorackoholic.

It's totally under control. I can quit anytime I want.

They tried to make me go to rehab, but I said no, no, no.

(For real, though, happiest Ive been with new gear in a long time. Any problem I might have, (I don't),.it's not eurorack's fault. Eurorack is killer.).
Rehab is for quitters.
Old 26th July 2019
Lives for gear

I'm a 3D slut, a slut in multiple ways. Whenever I had a job I used to look for a job that pays even better, see if I could get them to pay me some certificates use them and ditch them. Now I'm thinking to get back in day trading and make it my fulltime job for two reasons:

1) So I can give my employer the one finger salute.

2) Buy more gear!

I worked for a company once I knew they would fire me within a couple months so I called in sick for those months while I had a second income of money. So they basically paid me for nothing (the best job a man can have!) I used that money to buy off some gear.

I had put some companies on my resume which went bankrupt many years ago and claimed to have worked for them. If they asked for a contact person I simply gave up numbers of my buddies. But it would get me the job.

When I had started with music many years ago, I had a keyboard on which I used to practice. At school I used to be that annoying ADHD kid who trolls the crap out the teachers. My dad had sworn if he would hear one complaint of the school he would take away the keyboard. So the sluttiest thing I did was I knew a crackhead, I basically gave the school his number. So if there was some crap going on they would call him and he would go with me to school pretend to be my father (LMAO thinking back I would now feel so embarrassed "hey teacher this is my father and he is a crackhead"). I would have to pay him just a few coins so he could probably get his shots but hey it was a win win situation. Thanks to him my keyboard skills has become what they're now.

But what did I mean with being a 3d slut? Thats being a slut in all kind of ways. I used to date a girl who was smoking hot, but her mom was way way hotter. So I ended up with her mom, it really was a upgrade and definitely worth it. It was like upgrading from a Roland JP-08 to a Roland Jupiter 8.

I know it's not nice but hey we all have something to confess.
Old 26th July 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by B_and_W View Post
I'm a 3D slut, a slut in multiple ways. Whenever I had a job I used to look for a job that pays even better, see if I could get them to pay me some certificates use them and ditch them. Now I'm thinking to get back in day trading and make it my fulltime job for two reasons:

1) So I can give my employer the one finger salute.

2) Buy more gear!

I worked for a company once I knew they would fire me within a couple months so I called in sick for those months while I had a second income of money. So they basically paid me for nothing (the best job a man can have!) I used that money to buy off some gear.

I had put some companies on my resume which went bankrupt many years ago and claimed to have worked for them. If they asked for a contact person I simply gave up numbers of my buddies. But it would get me the job.

When I had started with music many years ago, I had a keyboard on which I used to practice. At school I used to be that annoying ADHD kid who trolls the crap out the teachers. My dad had sworn if he would hear one complaint of the school he would take away the keyboard. So the sluttiest thing I did was I knew a crackhead, I basically gave the school his number. So if there was some crap going on they would call him and he would go with me to school pretend to be my father (LMAO thinking back I would now feel so embarrassed "hey teacher this is my father and he is a crackhead"). I would have to pay him just a few coins so he could probably get his shots but hey it was a win win situation. Thanks to him my keyboard skills has become what they're now.

But what did I mean with being a 3d slut? Thats being a slut in all kind of ways. I used to date a girl who was smoking hot, but her mom was way way hotter. So I ended up with her mom, it really was a upgrade and definitely worth it. It was like upgrading from a Roland JP-08 to a Roland Jupiter 8.

I know it's not nice but hey we all have something to confess.
Aaaah. The Sportsman special.
Old 30th July 2019
Lives for gear

reading Gearslutz makes me buy moar synths.
seriously.
i read somewhere on GS that monosynths always sound better than poly.
controversial, but for some reason i got a sort of imprint from that.
so, going to buy four monosynths today. i mean DSI Tetra.
Old 30th July 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaocrator View Post
reading Gearslutz makes me buy moar synths.
seriously.
i read somewhere on GS that monosynths always sound better than poly.
controversial, but for some reason i got a sort of imprint from that.
so, going to buy four monosynths today. i mean DSI Tetra.
But wouldn't the Tetra be gain-staged like a poly? That's where the magic of monos happens is that they don't have to worry about having enough overhead for extra voices, so they can push that output so hard that it spanks.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Haven't been on for a while... I'm sure you guys have been up to all kinds of slutty stuff lately so let's hear it...

...as for me I did something very un-slutty.
I pawned some of my synths to buy one of my dream cars after someone crashed into my old car and totalled it. Right now I've got the ob6, grandmother, juno60, ob12, and the karp (i feel like there's something else) in pawn
Pay day today though so gonna go get one out.. the 60 I think .. they'll all be home soon tho. I feel so bad they're probably scared. I hope they don't think I've just forgotten bout em and chose to abandon them/:
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syntheseyez View Post
I feel so bad they're probably scared. I hope they don't think I've just forgotten bout em and chose to abandon them/:
I'd worry more about the pawnbroker...
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Haven't been on for a while... I'm sure you guys have been up to all kinds of slutty stuff lately so let's hear it...

...as for me I did something very un-slutty.
I pawned some of my synths to buy one of my dream cars after someone crashed into my old car and totalled it. Right now I've got the ob6, grandmother, juno60, ob12, and the karp (i feel like there's something else) in pawn
Pay day today though so gonna go get one out.. the 60 I think .. they'll all be home soon tho. I feel so bad they're probably scared. I hope they don't think I've just forgotten bout em and chose to abandon them/:
Just wondering why you would use a pawn shop instead of eBay or Reverb or Craigslist.
Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by channelite View Post
Just wondering why you would use a pawn shop instead of eBay or Reverb or Craigslist.
I'm sure that way he's not selling them, just getting some money but with the ability to buy them back within a certain time frame.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mallery7 View Post
I'm sure that way he's not selling them, just getting some money but with the ability to buy them back within a certain time frame.
Exactly. just needed to borrow a few bucks but didn't want to actually sell my synths.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Guru

At least you found a pawn shop that will take your synths. Whenever I'm hard up, I have to bring my entire armada of guitars just to get a couple bucks. :-/
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp View Post
At least you found a pawn shop that will take your synths. Whenever I'm hard up, I have to bring my entire armada of guitars just to get a couple bucks. :-/
and that must be a sorry sight
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp View Post
Unfortunately, the game has always been rigged in favor of the house when in comes to pawn shops. One minute late with your interest payment? Sorry. You want more than, say, a third of the market value of your item? Sorry. That fresh iPhone you got? Sorry. It will be worthless in three months and we don't want it.

When it comes to guitars, most pawn shops are clueless as to value. Even if they can look it up online, they still may not know the true resale value of a guitar when it comes to all the add-on/upgrade hoohaw that goes on. Keyboards are usually much easier.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by syntonica View Post
Unfortunately, the game has always been rigged in favor of the house when in comes to pawn shops. One minute late with your interest payment? Sorry. You want more than, say, a third of the market value of your item? Sorry. That fresh iPhone you got? Sorry. It will be worthless in three months and we don't want it.

When it comes to guitars, most pawn shops are clueless as to value. Even if they can look it up online, they still may not know the true resale value of a guitar when it comes to all the add-on/upgrade hoohaw that goes on. Keyboards are usually much easier.
They only wanted to let me borrow like 100 bux for the Juno 60 because of Roland's boutique Juno haha. I had to pull up reverbs price guide to show them what an actual vintage Juno goes for ahhah. And even then they didn't wanna give me more than 500 bux haha. Like you said you can't expect a pawn shop to give you more than a 3rd the value. Ironically they gave me more than what I paid for my ob12 though haha. Considered just pocketing the extra couple hundred bux but I miss the submariner patch heh
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
They only wanted to let me borrow like 100 bux for the Juno 60 because of Roland's boutique Juno haha.
They were all like "oh looks like we had a Juno here previously that sold for 200 bux" my heart dropped, was bout to scream out YOU IDIOTS!! but then I realized they were talking bout the boutique haha

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search