The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Synths for sale     Latest  Trending
Akai pro force
Old 17th January 2019
Gear Nut

Akai pro force

Well, I’ve just seen the new Akai Pro Force and I’m extremely surprised at how good this looks. I need to know more about it’s sequencing capabilities and launch clips, that's for sure.

What's your thoughts guys?

Here’s some pics
Attached Thumbnails
Akai pro force-akai-pro-force_topdownview-e1547736996121.jpg   Akai pro force-akai-pro-force-angled.jpg   Akai pro force-akai-pro-force_backside-e1547737462299.jpg  
Old 17th January 2019
Lives for gear

The 4 CV outs immediately grabbed me. I sincerely hope they can output user automation, envelopes, and LFO's - aside from pitch and gate of course. It would be pretty neat to draw some automation curves, cv that out to the desired parameter, then immediately sample that right back in.

I may be in the minority, but if they can get the CV features right I'll likely spring on it.
Old 17th January 2019
Lives for gear

It looks great, the price doesn't sadly.
Old 17th January 2019
Lives for gear

yep I agree ..its a brilliant product but too expensive for me :(
Old 17th January 2019
Lives for gear
Dan, please get one sent to me by motorbike courier TODAY
Old 17th January 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleyas View Post
The 4 CV outs immediately grabbed me. I sincerely hope they can output user automation, envelopes, and LFO's - aside from pitch and gate of course. It would be pretty neat to draw some automation curves, cv that out to the desired parameter, then immediately sample that right back in.

I may be in the minority, but if they can get the CV features right I'll likely spring on it.
Absolutely agree! I wonder if that can be done in real time for live use? I’m extremely keen to see how the crossfader can be used - Octatrack anyone?

Actually, I’m thinking of downgrading my computer and letting this device do the heavy lifting. This can be the brain and my computer as the assistant. I mean, this easily cuts out having a top of the range computer and some other midi and hardware devices I have. I only really need a comp for finishing tracks, Traktor and connecting my sound card/mixer.
Old 17th January 2019
It looks overpriced and unnecessary for anyone using Ableton and a decent laptop.

This product doesn’t seem to do anything Ableton can’t already do. I don’t understand how this would be any better than live + Push.

If you don’t have Ableton, this thing DOESNT WARP or have even 1% of the features of Live. This hardware will not replace it.

What is the point of it? Is it for DJs that still use standalone digital decks and don’t know any better?

Akai should stick to updating and adding features to their already underwhelming products.
Old 17th January 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by DomiBabi View Post
It looks overpriced and unnecessary for anyone using Ableton and a decent laptop.

This product doesn’t seem to do anything Ableton can’t already do. I don’t understand how this would be any better than live + Push.

If you don’t have Ableton, this thing DOESNT WARP or have even 1% of the features of Live. This hardware will not replace it.

What is the point of it? Is it for DJs that still use standalone digital decks and don’t know any better?

Akai should stick to updating and adding features to their already underwhelming products.
1) Push doesn’t have CV or Midi to sequence hardware
2) DJ’s can purchase this without having to buy Ableton, a Laptop and a Push.
3) Being in the box can be quite tiresome. Quick navigations, sequences and chord constructions produce an easier and more convenient work flow.

And I could really go on but I dont think this will change your mind.
Old 17th January 2019
Gear Nut

It's not quite all the hardware control we want (lack of knobs and faders) and not quite all the standalone we want (full editing, software OS) but it's big on price, IMHO
Old 17th January 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by TobiasJ View Post
1) Push doesn’t have CV or Midi to sequence hardware
2) DJ’s can purchase this without having to buy Ableton, a Laptop and a Push.
3) Being in the box can be quite tiresome. Quick navigations, sequences and chord constructions produce an easier and more convenient work flow.

And I could really go on but I dont think this will change your mind.
If it wasn’t advertised so heavily in connection to Ableton, I’d have no issues.

Ableton could have said “it’s a bastardized off-shoot of an MPC that just so happens to control Ableton really well.” I’d be cool with that.

But folks actially using Ableton with a reasonably current computer and interface will gain nothing from this.

It’s not as portable. Doesn’t offer any new features (most balanced interfaces can use Max for live for CV BTW, easily). Doesn’t offer stablilty as hardware, as it would have to tethered to a laptop anyway. It can’t load plugins or virtual instruments.

It’s no less tiresome than Push. I promise I can edit audio from a sample faster with a mouse dude. With push, I get everything else I need for launching clips.

I’m not arguing just to argue. If there is any good reason to own this thing if I already have LIVE and PUSH, I can’t find one.
Old 17th January 2019
Gear Addict

At least they have the decency not to call these mpc’s.
Old 17th January 2019
Plus, using it as hardware in Ableton link comes at the expense of having two completely siloed sample libraries and project files to deal with and maintain.

I guess if you like the idea of Ableton but don’t own it, and only plan on using it standalone, you won’t miss what you don’t have?
Old 17th January 2019
Lives for gear

I’m the perfect customer for this because I want to perform my own live music but like the way I play records. I don’t want to be locked into a set. So I keep producing the way I do now. In ableton. I export my stems. I load them into force and I hit the road. I’m not a great musician but I also can do more than just launch clips. So this allows me to take some boutique pieces and launch midi as well as part of my set. Seems like the perfect solution for that. Ill most likely run 2 of these. The price is my biggest complaint. Tho considering the hardware involved I can see the justification. It’s priced around the price of a cdj The second complaint is only 4 outs but workable. Just need to see this thing under stress test and I’m in. My biggest concern rather than complaint is the guys who have been in the Akai ecosystem seem to be the biggest doubters of this thing. That said I don’t plan to ever create on this. I’ll still do all that I’m ableton. I’m just looking for a live arrangement tool that doesn’t require my laptop and a pre determined set list.
Old 17th January 2019
Lives for gear

So, by using the Push can you make full tracks/songs without to watch at the computer screen or even to touch the mouse at all?

Please, let me know…
Old 17th January 2019
Gear Addict

The Force is related, but is *not* an MPC. They share the same code but the overall IA and workflows are different. AFAIK it looks like the Force doesn't really have a song mode or even the concept of Sequences. There are fundamental differences there it seems...Maybe I'm wrong.
Old 17th January 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
If it wasn’t advertised so heavily in connection to Ableton, I’d have no issues.

Ableton could have said “it’s a bastardized off-shoot of an MPC that just so happens to control Ableton really well.” I’d be cool with that.

But folks actially using Ableton with a reasonably current computer and interface will gain nothing from this.

It’s not as portable. Doesn’t offer any new features (most balanced interfaces can use Max for live for CV BTW, easily). Doesn’t offer stablilty as hardware, as it would have to tethered to a laptop anyway. It can’t load plugins or virtual instruments.

It’s no less tiresome than Push. I promise I can edit audio from a sample faster with a mouse dude. With push, I get everything else I need for launching clips.

I’m not arguing just to argue. If there is any good reason to own this thing if I already have LIVE and PUSH, I can’t find one.
But now you’re talking about having extra 4/5 devices and the know how in using Max4Live just to get the same results. Again, it all comes down to workflow and simplicity.
Old 17th January 2019
Deleted 091a13b
It's a bloody revolution. I'm so happy I haven't bought any new controller yet.
Old 17th January 2019
Gear Addict

no mention of automation lanes/tracks
how many tracks? (audio, midi, cv, clips, ...)

if they share the MPC time stretch algorithm(s) than this is no-go territory which is a shame cause that's exactly what i'd use it for

CV/Gate only +5 V - why?

would be cool if link with ableton would include complete share of all clips on both platforms, online

2GB of RAM or only 500MB available, remember MPC Live/X (launch) failure ??

you got 64 pads - why constraint to 16 pads in MPC mode?
Old 17th January 2019
Lives for gear
Please merge this and any other slowpoke/chancer threads into the existing leak thread until official launch day then release the OFFICIAL thread as per recent discussions on here cheers.

Also please rename xparis to "Dan Gill, Akai Professional" and give him a gold badge to show he is 100/legit/legend or whatever the phrase du jour is. Like the blue twitter tick innit.

Then send me a gold-plated force by chopper TONIGHT, piloted by Zlatan Ibrahimovic. I have already listed my studio on ebay and am going FULL FORCE IN 2019

They Made Akai Great Again people! Roger you can return from your island hideout, here's yer light saber bud!
Old 17th January 2019
Deleted 091a13b
Quote:
Originally Posted by earwolf View Post

Then send me a gold-plated force by chopper TONIGHT, piloted by Zlatan Ibrahimovic. I have already listed my studio on ebay and am going FULL FORCE IN 2019
Give me the Force and I'll fly that Ibrahimovic to you.
Old 17th January 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleyas View Post
if analog to MPC (X) then only note & velocity, that it

-ins & outs are not DC coupled
Old 17th January 2019
Lives for gear
Oh hells yeah

Old 17th January 2019
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nice187 View Post
So, by using the Push can you make full tracks/songs without to watch at the computer screen or even to touch the mouse at all?

Please, let me know…
yes you can, the only thing it can't do, is saving, you will be pressing save button on your pc, also typing the name of the project of course. This Force thing has learned a lot from Push and made adjustments so you can do everything without computer. (not that it's a bad thing or anything)
Old 17th January 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
But now you’re talking about having extra 4/5 devices and the know how in using Max4Live just to get the same results. Again, it all comes down to workflow and simplicity.
This is the Ableton fault, their marketing strategy is a disaster. All the advanced possibilities of the Ableton should be available by default in all versions of this software.

For example, a Launchpad owner should download a bunch of other software or the Max4Live, in order to get some pleasant other features which are associated with the hardware experience such as the step sequencer [step mode with lightning pads] etc…

So, Akai now normally capitalize the fact that the average user can't organize all this cool hardware experience by using an affordable pad controller for Ableton [a launchpad or whatever...]

So, now Akai they offer to you a cool standalone machine to have fun with it and that is all about, and to me yea they’re doing it pretty much well…
Old 17th January 2019
Quote:
True.

It’s cost/benefit.

Am I willing to bring this large hardware device, or three that probably weight the same but I need to connect them?

Do I want self contained hardware at the expense of 90% less features and power?

Am I happy with 4 outs , or will I probably need an interface or mixer anyway?

BTW, using Max for live for CV is very simple. The Max for live plugins are free and offer more control.

If you are talking about making music in a DAW and then importing it to the Force for live performance, why not buy a DJ controller?

Most have sample pads, better live performance features, and better spec’d built in audio interfaces... some work with Ableton link, and it would actually ADD something you don’t already have.

Can you make music with PUSH without looking at the big screen on your laptop? No.

Can you make music on the Force without looking at the tiny and harder to navigate built in screen?

Cmon people! Let common sense prevail here!
Old 17th January 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger001 View Post
no mention of automation lanes/tracks
how many tracks? (audio, midi, cv, clips, ...)

if they share the MPC time stretch algorithm(s) than this is no-go territory which is a shame cause that's exactly what i'd use it for

CV/Gate only +5 V - why?

would be cool if link with ableton would include complete share of all clips on both platforms, online

2GB of RAM or only 500MB available, remember MPC Live/X (launch) failure ??

you got 64 pads - why constraint to 16 pads in MPC mode?

You can expand to 64 pads in MPC mode, not limited to 16. Showed example in demo video. Sounds like the time stretch algorithms are improved.
Old 17th January 2019
Deleted 091a13b
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoPMiX View Post
...considering the hardware involved I can see the justification.
I agree. After all, it's a main performance instrument. The price is quite comparable to a decent guitar or keyboard, not mentioning the stuff like fiddles, brass and squeeze-boxes.
Old 17th January 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
True.

It’s cost/benefit.

Am I willing to bring this large hardware device, or three that probably weight the same but I need to connect them?

Do I want self contained hardware at the expense of 90% less features and power?

Am I happy with 4 outs , or will I probably need an interface or mixer anyway?

BTW, using Max for live for CV is very simple. The Max for live plugins are free and offer more control.

If you are talking about making music in a DAW and then importing it to the Force for live performance, why not buy a DJ controller?

Most have sample pads, better live performance features, and better spec’d built in audio interfaces... some work with Ableton link, and it would actually ADD something you don’t already have.

Can you make music with PUSH without looking at the big screen on your laptop? No.

Can you make music on the Force without looking at the tiny and harder to navigate built in screen?

Cmon people! Let common sense prevail here!
You mean the only one on the market ‘Pioneers DJS-1000’ which isn’t any better at all ha-ha. I dont see any other DJ controllers as a direct comparison.

I wouldn’t be using this as standalone but I can definitely see the benefits. And to be honest I’m totally thinking of downgrading my computer to a smaller Mac and let this be the brain of my live setup. I still require my laptop to run Traktor and plug in my soundcard for my Model 1 mixer. But I mean, I see my laptop and running Ableton as an assistant rather than my go to.

And as for your comment regarding a tiny screen, it’s not necessarily needed. All Elektron equipment have tiny screens. I honestly see this as a luxury but not a necessity. You’re too focused as seeing this as an Ableton replacement and how it doesn’t suit your workflow, that you can’t see the benefits and possibilities it can bring to other musicians, live performers and DJ’s. Instead you’re being small minded and insulting others in the process for not seeing your views.
Old 17th January 2019
If this machine worx fine, without bugs and is not released too early (in development that is) this could be something I’ve been dreaming about since 1995....
I’m soooo totally in!!!!!!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search