The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Akai pro force Drum Machines & Samplers
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Got an email this morning from Akai.

Some dudenamed Shift Key playing a track called rhythm of the drum.

Sorry Akai. Lame ...same old ****e.

Get rid of Andy Mac while you are there.
Poor presenter with the same tired song every new product.

Is the product for me.. No...... ergonomics are terrible.

Cheers
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickknack View Post
Got an email this morning from Akai.

Some dudenamed Shift Key playing a track called rhythm of the drum.

Sorry Akai. Lame ...same old ****e.

Get rid of Andy Mac while you are there.
Poor presenter with the same tired song every new product.

Is the product for me.. No...... ergonomics are terrible.

Cheers
Urgh! Same old hip hop performances and finger drumming too.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Amen !!!!

Thank you Tobias J.

Heres at least 2 people that arent afraid of the sheeple.

Cheers
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

who cares about marketing material. I've rarely seen demos that arent cringy

Have you actually used the device?
Old 1 week ago
Can somebody show how to export individual tracks from the force=? (Render to SSD or USB drive?)
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm2c View Post
who cares about marketing material. I've rarely seen demos that arent cringy

Have you actually used the device?
We’re not actually bashing the device but more the demonstrations.... These days you have to rely on reviews 1/2 months after release so that you actually have the answers to your questions you repeatedly ask.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TobiasJ View Post
These days you have to rely on reviews 1/2 months after release so that you actually have the answers to your questions you repeatedly ask.
But is that really a bad thing? 1-2 months after the release you often get the first OS update taking care of the worst bugs in the system. Never buy anything that is freshly released. Doesn't matter which company we're talking about. There is always some quality issues in hardware or software.

/C
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TobiasJ View Post
We’re not actually bashing the device but more the demonstrations.... These days you have to rely on reviews 1/2 months after release so that you actually have the answers to your questions you repeatedly ask.
My review of owning the force for 24 hours: DONT BUY JUST YET

Its like MPC live was when it came out.. messy

Wait until the arrangement mode is added at least. Also waiting to see the ableton integration.

Im already thinking about returning my force.. But probably will hold on to it in optimism (foolish, I know)
Old 1 week ago
Quote:

Wait until the arrangement mode is added at least. Also waiting to see the ableton integration.

Im already thinking about returning my force.. But probably will hold on to it in optimism (foolish, I know)
Where is the mess actually ? I.e. what did not work like you expected? Could you comment on rendering tracks?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sternenlicht View Post
Where is the mess actually ? I.e. what did not work like you expected? Could you comment on rendering tracks?
the lack of any song mode is a big one. Also Im not fond of how one records MIDI clips, setting the timing correct feels clunky compared to the MPC. But as Akai has been good with the MPC updates, I hope that most of my gripes will be dealt with in a few years of OS updates for the force as well.

As for exporting single track audio files.. not at the unit atm. Surely doable one way or another (like resampling the master outs with the wanted track on solo etc)
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

I have the force and will definitely be keeping it it does need als export and song mode added, also can’t wait for the splice to be added. I do think they released it to fast they should of had those features in it on release. But I think they wanted to present it at namm and get those pre orders. For now I hooked my midi cables from the back of the force to my audio interface and track out each track one by one it takes longer but gets the job done plus I get the advantage of analog outs going into my neve transformers which adds some color to my tracks. Definitely don’t want to do it like that all the time but good to have that option. Other than that I love this device it the best machine I’ve ever owned and I’ve had a push 2, maschine mk3, Akai MPC touch, and iPad beatmaker3 sooo
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

I got my Force last week amd already have built some muscle memory and learned most of its functions. It has a learning curve- not Octatrack level where after 2 weeks I wanted to throw it out a 2 story window, but the curve is present nonetheless.

I also agree with the statement about the Force being the best machine amongst the MPC, Push, Maschine. This thing is the real deal- or at least it will be once the promised updates are released (song mode, etc). The Air FX are totally usable and are laid out with the 8 Qlink knobs to promote hands-on modulation unlike pure software Plugs.... instant inspiration and control.

This is a keeper and am looking forward to what Akai has in store the coming months and years for this platform.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
the lack of any song mode is a big one. Also Im not fond of how one records MIDI clips, setting the timing correct feels clunky compared to the MPC. But as Akai has been good with the MPC updates, I hope that most of my gripes will be dealt with in a few years of OS updates for the force as well.

As for exporting single track audio files.. not at the unit atm. Surely doable one way or another (like resampling the master outs with the wanted track on solo etc)
You can hold step seq and use bottom rows to quickly set the tc values.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsxdsm View Post
You can hold step seq and use bottom rows to quickly set the tc values.
also, theres a dedicated TC shift function under track 6
Old 1 week ago
I own it and like so far. I still have much to learn and I’m just laughing at people bashing it. If you don’t like it then fine. Go buy something else.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Also a owner and Ive owed every flavor of MPC up to the 5K. My biggest complaint was I didnt see the screen protector and for the first hour was me just cussing out loud at 4 empty walls because the screen was so laggy.

Still a lot of dev that needs to happen. I need a quick and easy way in and out of this thing as Im loading a **** ton of stems in and out prepping live performance and then I need to be able to mirror a second unit as I run two. I also havent found a way to delete projects. Havent looked in manual yet as Ive just been moving ahead but I def need some clean up.

Finally the time stretch algo is really been wonky for me. Just going up 2-3 BPM I start hearing a lot flam where my drums are really tight at OG tempo. When I import a loop thats 120, The device auto detects it at 120.7 randomly. I can import the same loop 3 times and it will come up with a different value each time. 120.3 120.5 ect.. So I have to manually enter tempo. Not a big deal because the screen makes everything fast.

Can you time correct each track with its own swing or is it global? I cant tell honestly. I miss having a separate swing parameter on each track like early MPC and Maschine. Maybe Im missing something. Settings seem global.

Everything else has been as promised and I think the work flow is quite nice.
The EQ and compressors are actually quite good. Im comfortable doing a mix in the box. Pad mixer is a great feature as well.
The filters are a bit harsh for me. Adding even a little resonance boots your top a lot.
Step sequencer is awesome work flow is fast and easy. Haven't tried lanes.

Working with audio/editing can be frustrating. pinching and dragging. trying to select the first beat of a 16 bar loop for instance. Im still inclined to just go in the box and do my dirty work.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

some basic chopping / step sequencing workflow..

quite like how step sequencing is implemented.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockreid View Post
I got my Force last week amd already have built some muscle memory and learned most of its functions. It has a learning curve- not Octatrack level where after 2 weeks I wanted to throw it out a 2 story window, but the curve is present nonetheless.

I also agree with the statement about the Force being the best machine amongst the MPC, Push, Maschine. This thing is the real deal- or at least it will be once the promised updates are released (song mode, etc). The Air FX are totally usable and are laid out with the 8 Qlink knobs to promote hands-on modulation unlike pure software Plugs.... instant inspiration and control.

This is a keeper and am looking forward to what Akai has in store the coming months and years for this platform.
I fully agree!

Coming from ableton, the first couple hours we’re still a bit uncomfortable. But now after a week, I am flying around. I did some sequencing and clip recording, multitracking, of a fusebox last night and it was the fastest I have been with multitracking the fusebox incorporating the fusebox’s patternator. It was actually even faster than when I use ableton. I couldn’t be happier.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

seems the buy it for what it is now rule has been thrown out the window.

with some proclaiming it better than sliced bread, even going so far as to caveat "when its been fully updated"

wow thats some heavy wishful thinking or company shills...

all the best with all that..
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synthstrategy View Post
seems the buy it for what it is now rule has been thrown out the window.

with some proclaiming it better than sliced bread, even going so far as to caveat "when its been fully updated"

wow thats some heavy wishful thinking or company shills...

all the best with all that..
Yep.. I’m at an advantage because I never use arrangement view on ableton anyways. So if they never fix a thing, it’s still better than sliced bread to me.

One thing though, they do need to fix up the matrix screen. If I’m in note mode playing on track 3 and the screen is in matrix and I launch a clip on track 5, track 5 gets selected into focus and I’m no longer able to play the track 3 notes on the pads. It would be really nice to be able to launch clips from other tracks while continuously playing on a track using notes mode on the pads.

Does Akai have a way to submit requests yet?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:

This is a matter of choice though. I was a Live early adopter bugs and all and glad of it, because I have put it to good use. It is like anything I guess... How much will it help what you do? You can answer this q even with an early firmware version.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Praxisaxis View Post
This is a matter of choice though. I was a Live early adopter bugs and all and glad of it, because I have put it to good use. It is like anything I guess... How much will it help what you do? You can answer this q even with an early firmware version.
I was saying "dont buy" to GS forumites specifically. If we were on another music making board, I'd say buy if you feel like it.

My feelings towards gear expectations on GS are that only "bulletproof" best of the best gear is good enough here .. and force aint there Yet

Can you make do with the force as it is now? Sure, in a pinch. But we all got abletons pushes MPCs OT etc already ie. mature/stable working, proven tools
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by xparis001 View Post
also, theres a dedicated TC shift function under track 6
Yeh that TC menu is too slow for me.
But this STEP SEQ + track select will do nicely if it can set TC grid on the fly ithout menuing around, thanks!

btw still didnt say why you wanted launch quant so easily changeable.. you guys using that function all the time or what?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:

I really want to get one - I just don't have $2000 (AUD) to spend at this juncture. I'm going to have to purge some gear ....

It really fits my workflow.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by xanax View Post
some basic chopping / step sequencing workflow..

quite like how step sequencing is implemented.
It is a standalone Push 2, or NI Machine Jam or Novation Launchpad Pro, but additionally its sampler make it unbeatable and the fact that is a standalone dawless device…

I’m curious to see if Korg will give a response to this or if will insist with the Electribe type of entry level groovy boxes…

A lot of hardware workstation guys, people who know very well how to make music with keys… they want like crazy nowadays to have the ability to make music dawless and by using small and portable hardware setups, and to get rid of their giant workstations… The step sequencing live performance and live recording process is fascinating for everyone.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Well arguably, MPC Live/X is a much better alternative for full blown dawless music production at this stage. The force not having a song/arrangement, no scene memory launch capabilities (and not even als export if i understood correctly?).

The chopping also feels like a major step backwards with no direct to pad functionality.

That said there is some strong potential, in a couple updates it could be killer..
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by xanax View Post
Well arguably, MPC Live/X is a much better alternative for full blown dawless music production at this stage. The force not having a song/arrangement, no scene memory launch capabilities (and not even als export if i understood correctly?).

The chopping also feels like a major step backwards with no direct to pad functionality.

That said there is some strong potential, in a couple updates it could be killer..
exactly THIS

I see a great future for the force.. but we not there yet
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

As a Mpc Live very happy user, I wait at least a year to see how this Force will express its potential. it has a lot of potentiality for sure but I expect first year will be a continuous fix and a sort of test of how people react to it and what they suggest to make it work properly.
With Live it was like this, a year of test until, with last updates, it became a great working groove box, maybe the best on the market.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarLofgren View Post
Never buy anything that is freshly released. Doesn't matter which company we're talking about. There is always some quality issues in hardware or software.
Best.Advice.Ever.
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear
Whats up group, I recentlyreceived the akai force, Great Poduct. Heres a quick video on how to Chop samples with the Akai Force. I will be making more videos so please watch like and subscribe to my youtube if you can.

Question : Whats your favourite Akai Force Feature. Click The Video Link Below

YouTube

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search