The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Akai pro force
Old 26th February 2020
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscoDevil View Post
Uhm... the MPC LIVE isn't an MPC?
You do realize you were talking about the Force...since this is a Force thread, right?
Old 26th February 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRSC View Post
You do realize you were talking about the Force...since this is a Force thread, right?

You do realize they share the same basic UI and operate in the same way, right? I mentioned the Live along with the Force in my original post. It applies to the entire line of products.
Old 26th February 2020
Gear Nut

Played around with the beta 45mins before going to work. This is a dream come true being a Maschine user since the beginning! We have been waiting for many years!!!

Anyone found a way to automate the crossfader?
(Not a complain)
Old 26th February 2020
Lives for gear

No idea about the crossfader, but found out that MIDI CCs can actually be automated! So whoever claimed that wasnt possible with the force should recheck?
Old 26th February 2020
well I exported the audio and midi into an ableton project...worked out perfect, no issues with sound or sync at all..this is what Ive been waiting for

one word of warning though...default is 999 bars, make sure you adjust it to the length of the track or its a hell of a wait on the export
Old 26th February 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcearl View Post
well I exported the audio and midi into an ableton project...worked out perfect, no issues with sound or sync at all..this is what Ive been waiting for

one word of warning though...default is 999 bars, make sure you adjust it to the length of the track or its a hell of a wait on the export

I bet that was fun
Old 27th February 2020
Lives for gear
Luckily ALL my projects are 999 bars exactly
Old 27th February 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by DStep ATL View Post

I bet that was fun
I painted the kitchen and finished off a masters degree during the wait
Old 27th February 2020
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rids View Post
Does anyone know if the pads brightness can be dimmed? I saw that the drum tracks have an option to dim just the drum pads, but not the velocity pads or the sequencer pads. I'm going delve deeper today, but I couldn't find this option. Those pads are too bright as is.
I have read the entire Force manual lately and have not encountered the option of dimming pads in Launch mode.
For me, this is a problem too, because there is an option to reduce the brightness of the touchscreen, and the pads shine to the max, what in a dark room or on the stage can be bothersome. Maybe they'll think about it during an some upgrade…
Old 27th February 2020
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm2c View Post
No idea about the crossfader, but found out that MIDI CCs can actually be automated! So whoever claimed that wasnt possible with the force should recheck?
Let me clarify. The Force can send midi CC, but it doesn't have a MIDI Learn feature like MPC X and Live. It only accepts MMC transport commands and MIDI Note On/Off messages.

So, my MIDI keyboard controller's CC's can't be learned or passed through the Force, like they can on, for example, the Deluge.
Old 27th February 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkullHQX View Post
Let me clarify. The Force can send midi CC, but it doesn't have a MIDI Learn feature like MPC X and Live. It only accepts MMC transport commands and MIDI Note On/Off messages.

So, my MIDI keyboard controller's CC's can't be learned or passed through the Force, like they can on, for example, the Deluge.
ahh gotcha. I thought you meant it is incapable of automating ext MIDI CC.

I guess the boffins at Akai thought nobody would use an external controller with the force
Old 27th February 2020
Gear Nut
Quote:

That’s not true. No midi learn, but I pass cc from controllers and it works, also after touch, as the pads which are after touch sensitive don’t actually send it.
Old 27th February 2020
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by locosynth View Post
That’s not true. No midi learn, but I pass cc from controllers and it works, also after touch, as the pads which are after touch sensitive don’t actually send it.
Okay, I stand corrected. But the use case is limited as the Force won't record incoming CC's, which the Deluge does. Or does it?

I use a Novation SL61 Mk3 which can conveniently switch 8 'targets', while all controls can be mapped to your liking and the Deluge plays ball with that. Very nice feature. Each of my synths has a profile and I can switch to each of them with the touch of a button and all controls are programmable to any CC (and midi channel) of you liking. I even (partially) control my mixer with it. Regrettably this can't be done with the Force. I'm not sure if the MPC's can do this. If so, maybe they will eventually add that to the Force, which would be super sweet.
Old 27th February 2020
Quote:
Okay, I stand corrected. But the use case is limited as the Force won't record incoming CC's, which the Deluge does. Or does it?

I use a Novation SL61 Mk3 which can conveniently switch 8 'targets', while all controls can be mapped to your liking and the Deluge plays ball with that. Very nice feature. Each of my synths has a profile and I can switch to each of them with the touch of a button and all controls are programmable to any CC (and midi channel) of you liking. I even (partially) control my mixer with it. Regrettably this can't be done with the Force. I'm not sure if the MPC's can do this. If so, maybe they will eventually add that to the Force, which would be super sweet.
Pretty certain the Force records all incoming expression data.
Old 27th February 2020
Gear Maniac

Does anybody know the best way to export individual drum parts in a clip for ableton export? There is explode tracks on MPC, but this doesn't seem to exist for force.

kcearl, when you exported your arrangement to ableton, did you have all drum tracks on separate clips or just export as stereo audio?
Old 27th February 2020
Here for the gear

Does anyone know if you can import .xpn files? Tried to do it with them on a SD card but they didn't show up when I tried to load them
Old 27th February 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibnexus View Post
I have read the entire Force manual lately and have not encountered the option of dimming pads in Launch mode.
For me, this is a problem too, because there is an option to reduce the brightness of the touchscreen, and the pads shine to the max, what in a dark room or on the stage can be bothersome. Maybe they'll think about it during an some upgrade…
No you can't dim the pads yet. I've been looking for that feature for a while. The pads are exceedingly bright.
Old 27th February 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrZero View Post
Does anybody know the best way to export individual drum parts in a clip for ableton export? There is explode tracks on MPC, but this doesn't seem to exist for force.

kcearl, when you exported your arrangement to ableton, did you have all drum tracks on separate clips or just export as stereo audio?
I exported the drums as a midi file and used the same kit there
Old 27th February 2020
Lives for gear

Here are some dates of releases from the IMG files so you know what we are dealing with. (Yeah, I don't delete any update from my disk)

MM/DD/YYYY
3.0.1 - 2/4/2019
3.0.2 - 3/18/2019
3.0.3 - 7/15/2019
3.0.4-beta 3 with arranger - 9/26/2019 <<< this is what was now released, semi-officially or not
3.0.4 - 12/9/2019 - the arranger was removed despite it seems working ok
3.0.5 - Q1 2020 - now seems postponed to "who knows when"

I of course don't know how the beta with arranger differs from the final release in terms of ableton or any other fixes. There are about 2.5 months apart.
The 3.0.5 beta was shown on NAMM and was supposed to be out in Q1, but they are not in hurry to release it anymore as we learned. Nobody except AKAI employees/contractors got this version. I assume at some point it will appear for betatesters.
I also don't know how official or not the leak was - despite my effort I could not find it mentioned on facebook or anywhere even remotely officially looking despite people claims it is "readily available" on AKAI facebook - no it isn't or I don't know how to use facebook.

Last edited by Oscar1; 27th February 2020 at 11:02 PM..
Old 27th February 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yup, im very grateful for this

Tracked out seven synth parts last night, used around half the ram, no sync issues very straightforward using my mixers bus directly into the Force for each part. Took around 45mins as they were going through hardware comps/eqs/fx pedals first.

Going to transfer it over to an Ableton project as audio and midi files to check audio quality but this is great, game changer for me...just so damn quick to get ideas down and now I dont have to use plugins or keygroups
Were you sequencing external synths? Are you recording the tracks/synths one by one through your mixer into the Force? I'm just curious of how you have all your synths set up with the mixer and recording with Force. I was actually thinking about doing this and using the Force as a multi track recorder with it's Daw-like sequencing.

Was there something in the beta you were talking about that allows you to do all this, that the latest public OS doesn't?
Old 28th February 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oscar1 View Post
Here are some dates of releases from the IMG files so you know what we are dealing with. (Yeah, I don't delete any update from my disk)

MM/DD/YYYY
3.0.1 - 2/4/2019
3.0.2 - 3/18/2019
3.0.3 - 7/15/2019
3.0.4-beta 3 with arranger - 9/26/2019 <<< this is what was now released, semi-officially or not
3.0.4 - 12/9/2019 - the arranger was removed despite it seems working ok
3.0.5 - Q1 2020 - now seems postponed to "who knows when"

I of course don't know how the beta with arranger differs from the final release in terms of ableton or any other fixes. There are about 2.5 months apart.
The 3.0.5 beta was shown on NAMM and was supposed to be out in Q1, but they are not in hurry to release it anymore as we learned. Nobody except AKAI employees/contractors got this version. I assume at some point it will appear for betatesters.
I also don't know how official or not the leak was - despite my effort I could not find it mentioned on facebook or anywhere even remotely officially looking despite people claims it is "readily available" on AKAI facebook - no it isn't or I don't know how to use facebook.
Weirdly the Ableton stuff was on the beta even though it was released after this version (as you mentioned)

Nick mentions on the Akai forum that he took the decision to release the beta but like you I found nothing on the facebook page other than a post stating that if you PMd Nick he would give you a copy. None of this feels very official, and of course it couldnt be. Theres some big changes between this arranger and the NAMM version, maybe its been pulled altogether so as not to underwhelm users despite the disclaimer, dunno...
Old 28th February 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm2c View Post
Care to share how you do that? I have been hearing talk that you can't automate midi CCs. Looking at the manual page 71, it appears automation is possible, but I was assuming it was only for internal parameters of the Force. I'm curious what the steps are to automate CCs of a hardware synth. I need to attempt this still.
Old 28th February 2020
Quote:
Were you sequencing external synths? Are you recording the tracks/synths one by one through your mixer into the Force? I'm just curious of how you have all your synths set up with the mixer and recording with Force. I was actually thinking about doing this and using the Force as a multi track recorder with it's Daw-like sequencing.

Was there something in the beta you were talking about that allows you to do all this, that the latest public OS doesn't?
Yup Im only using external synths...basically the force is the sequencer and two track tape recorder.

Im sequencing synths using a midi thru box powered by my pro one. It all goes into a VLZ4 which has the usual two outputs but also two sub outputs. So I play all the synths through the mixer then when Im ready to record one button press sends the signal out through the bus into my fx/eq/comps then into the Force. The mixer and Force's outputs both go into my monitors so switching to the bus still has everything playing along together.

Its a little time consuming tracking out 8 synths, Ill probably not use so many just get the bare bones ideas down...but the audio quality was fine, no need for placeholders.

This is using the released beta...its all recorded into tracks in the arranger mode. Exports out to an ALS file, all the audio and midi together. Then finish it off in my main rig. Exactly what I was looking/waiting for.
Old 28th February 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Weirdly the Ableton stuff was on the beta even though it was released after this version (as you mentioned)

Nick mentions on the Akai forum that he took the decision to release the beta but like you I found nothing on the facebook page other than a post stating that if you PMd Nick he would give you a copy. None of this feels very official, and of course it couldnt be. Theres some big changes between this arranger and the NAMM version, maybe its been pulled altogether so as not to underwhelm users despite the disclaimer, dunno...
I just fell it is important to point out that this is a beta to the current release not a beta after the release. So in fact while it has arranger that was removed from release, some other things may be buggy - especially in regard to ableton.

This whole delaying arranger thing is a bit too long winded and old to be interesting anymore. They should come up with something else to tease.
I silently laughed when I heard that it will be delayed yet again...of course it will. Come back after summer to hear that yet again.

"And don't forget to #ifdef the arranger from the build, Johny, to make people mad. Our youtube channel always go through the roof".
Old 28th February 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oscar1 View Post
I just fell it is important to point out that this is a beta to the current release not a beta after the release. So in fact while it has arranger that was removed from release, some other things may be buggy - especially in regard to ableton.

This whole delaying arranger thing is a bit too long winded and old to be interesting anymore. They should come up with something else to tease.
I silently laughed when I heard that it will be delayed yet again...of course it will. Come back after summer to hear that yet again.

"And don't forget to #ifdef the arranger from the build, Johny, to make people mad. Our youtube channel always go through the roof".

Well as Im new to the Force my cynicism is fairly in check, I was fortunate enough to have the MPC Live do what I wanted it to do from launch and Ive only waited a couple of weeks to get the Force where I needed it to be too.

Purely using as a glorified sequencer/tape recorder its seemingly bug free, solid, had it on over the entire day then exported 7 tracks of 999bar audio without a glitch.
Old 28th February 2020
Here for the gear
Anyone that’s f#€%ed with the arranger, Have any idea what the flow is? I’m in there, and I see “clips” and “arrange” buttons, side by side @ the bottom of the arrange screen. Then I see another button to the far right that says “back to arranger”. Any idea what the distinction is? I’m already on the arrange page, but there’s an “arranger” and “back to arranger” button on that very screen!

And what are the arrows in a column on the far right for?

I’ve managed to tap out some rudimentary arrangements, with mutes, and they turned out pretty nice. But I’m still unclear on how I got there, because of those above points I made.

Any insights?
Old 28th February 2020
Gear Maniac

Quote:
I exported the drums as a midi file and used the same kit there
Heard that. Thank you. Just to clarify, you're then sending midi out of Ableton to trigger the force?

I'm sure I'm in the minority, but I'm very new to Ableton and Using a computer for music in general, after just using hardware sequencers for the past few years and finishing zero music as a result! I have a lot of sketches, but I'm hoping to get my hardware software situation working together seamlessly soon.

My goal is to basically do the same as you and use Force as a sequencer and recorder/arranger, but to then finish and fine tune in Ableton.
Old 28th February 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by icepulse View Post
Anyone that’s f#€%ed with the arranger, Have any idea what the flow is? I’m in there, and I see “clips” and “arrange” buttons, side by side @ the bottom of the arrange screen. Then I see another button to the far right that says “back to arranger”. Any idea what the distinction is? I’m already on the arrange page, but there’s an “arranger” and “back to arranger” button on that very screen!

And what are the arrows in a column on the far right for?

I’ve managed to tap out some rudimentary arrangements, with mutes, and they turned out pretty nice. But I’m still unclear on how I got there, because of those above points I made.

Any insights?
A single track can either play the clips from the matrix view or can play the linear track from arranger but not both. When you see back to arranger on a track it means is flipped to play the clips in matrix, not the arranger track. Setting back to arranger will then play the stuff you see in arranger. I think they mean "flip the tracks to play back in arranger" - not that you going back to arranger - because you are there..
I assume this all will actually change in the real release to be less confusing. This all probably came when they try to figure out proper workflow and it is obvious that you can play either this or that but not both - and there is that issue - what does track play - clips from matrix or arranger track.

The arrangers is not much different that having an extra row on matrix view that you can see only in arranger view and they are very long. So you can't play clips and arranger "clip" on the same time on each track as you can't play clips on different row on the same track in matrix view. if you look above shoulders on the NAMM videos this seems all far more elegant on AKAI internal version - but still it will likely be true in release, you can't play both - clips and arranger track on the same track. I just think the workflow and wording will be a bit more elegant and bit more obvious. Honestly I find it obvious enough even now. It is the way they trying to have it both ways and it being an early beta so not much pampering and self explanation.

Last edited by Oscar1; 28th February 2020 at 06:43 AM..
Old 28th February 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Care to share how you do that? I have been hearing talk that you can't automate midi CCs. Looking at the manual page 71, it appears automation is possible, but I was assuming it was only for internal parameters of the Force. I'm curious what the steps are to automate CCs of a hardware synth. I need to attempt this still.
Sure. Just pull up the lower section of the pianoroll which shows the velocity lane. Hover over the "Velocity" label and tap it -> "New automation" -> "MIDI CC" and start drawing
Old 28th February 2020
Gear Nut

Quote:
You can go to the Knobs setup page, and set up 16 cv's for the q-link knobs. And use those to record automation. Ive set up a couple of midi tracks in my template so i have most used CC's ready to go.

I dont know what kind of midi it records, as i use a controller keyboard without knobs. But it does record poly aftertouch. And that makes me believe it will record most midi information sent to it.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search