The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Recording midi cc like filter cutoff into hardware sequencer Sequencers (HW)
Old 4 days ago
Gear Head

Recording midi cc like filter cutoff into hardware sequencer

Hy

Anybody using a hardware sequencer (Octatrack, MPC Live, Squarp Pyramid, Cirklon, Electribe ESX..) like this?

I want to record filter cutoff changes(Midi CC) into a hardware sequencer via Midi IN and after a record or overdub have the sequencer send this data to the same synth via Midi OUT (Bass station 2) and later be able to change (edit) this data.

In a DAW its simple via USB MIDI (in/out over one cable).

My Electribe2s (only internal motion sequencing) cant do this, any recommendations for a sequencer that can?

Thanx,

Cheers
Old 4 days ago
Gear Nut

Any MPC.
Old 4 days ago
Gear Maniac

Does anyone have a DIY rasp/arduino/axoloti example?
...or perhaps an IOS app capable of multilane automation?
Old 4 days ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by camus2 View Post
Any MPC.
Yeah i thought that MPC would be able to do it, 2500 has 2 midi inputs and 4 midi outputs.

Apparently the new MPC LIVE is not so midi capable as the old ones (u cant route midi inputs freely to different channels and play it multitimbraly)
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misonic View Post
Hy

Anybody using a hardware sequencer (Octatrack, MPC Live, Squarp Pyramid, Cirklon, Electribe ESX..) like this?

I want to record filter cutoff changes(Midi CC) into a hardware sequencer via Midi IN and after a record or overdub have the sequencer send this data to the same synth via Midi OUT (Bass station 2) and later be able to change (edit) this data.

In a DAW its simple via USB MIDI (in/out over one cable).

My Electribe2s (only internal motion sequencing) cant do this, any recommendations for a sequencer that can?

Thanx,

Cheers
yeah OT does it and CC assignment can either be on auto or manual by you the operator, simple midi cables i/o
Old 4 days ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie munro View Post
yeah OT does it and CC assignment can either be on auto or manual by you the operator, simple midi cables i/o
Can the recorded midi cc data be edited on the machine (OT) or you just overdub another version of the data?

Thanx
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Can the recorded midi cc data be edited on the machine (OT) or you just overdub another version of the data?

Thanx
yes easily, it is just data and per step adjustment is the OT playground
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Had a Pyramid which can do this, but they have an event limit of 7000 per project, which is easily reached when you record a lot of automation. Therefor sold it and got a Deluge instead, which works perfectly!
Old 3 days ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPrinsen View Post
Had a Pyramid which can do this, but they have an event limit of 7000 per project, which is easily reached when you record a lot of automation. Therefor sold it and got a Deluge instead, which works perfectly!
Great info mate, actually considered Pyramid but this limit puts it out of the equation!

Also i read that Cirklon can only handle 4 midi cc's per track which might also be limiting considering i can possibly automate 12 cc's per channel on my e-mu e4xt sampler.

Cheers
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Also i read that Cirklon can only handle 4 midi cc's per track
That's only for P3 patterns. CK patterns can have as many as you like, although midi bandwidth will become an issue, no matter what sequencer you use.
With P3 patterns in Cirklon you can have them send data to other tracks or have multiple tracks send data to the same instrument so your still not limited to 4 cc's per instrument.
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

Just check the manual to see if a particular sequencer records incoming CCs. Song based sequencers (like an MPC, or the onboard sequencer in a workstation keyboard) can do this. I don't expect many step sequencers can.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search