The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Korg PolySix....Battery, Board, Etc Keyboard Synthesizers
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Korg PolySix....Battery, Board, Etc

I was recently given a PolySix from a friend that moved away some years ago. It’s been in its case for close to 30 years.

Some issues are obvious (dirty key contacts so that not all keys are working) and I’m comfortable working with those problems. I’m a fairly competent DIYer in most fields, but after doing a lot of reading up on the PolySix and its battery issues I am getting the feeling that this isn’t a worthwhile project to take on.

From what I can gather, it may be much better and easier to go with the KiwiSix upgrade.

With that said, from the pictures I’ve included, would that be the general consensus? Are there other pictures I could include to make things a little clearer? There’s obvious corrosion on a number of traces and components surrounding the (very exploded) battery.

Thanks for any input
Attached Thumbnails
Korg PolySix....Battery, Board, Etc-bf02d8c0-dd8b-489d-8674-10754cf543c8.jpg   Korg PolySix....Battery, Board, Etc-60bcc852-bd81-47e0-87ef-3bf6dbb7f3dd.jpg  
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

If you're keen on DIY I'd definitely recommend this instead of the kiwi for quite a bit less money Korg Polysix KLM-367A replacement board | synthronics.de
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by autoy View Post
If you're keen on DIY I'd definitely recommend this instead of the kiwi for quite a bit less money Korg Polysix KLM-367A replacement board | synthronics.de
Great - thanks for the info. That seems like a good option as well. Other than replacing the IC22 and the connectors, is there any more DIY involved? Seems pretty straightforward.

Thanks!
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rynomite View Post
Great - thanks for the info. That seems like a good option as well. Other than replacing the IC22 and the connectors, is there any more DIY involved? Seems pretty straightforward.

Thanks!
Not in these ones. You can order clone boards completely blank if you feel more adventurous, but I don't know if those are produced anymore.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac
I've seen worse... and I've repaired worse..!

Looks quite localised. If you get that battery out and clean up the acid with copious amounts of alcohol there might be only a handful of traces to repair..!?

Do you have the schematics...?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

If you’re gonna do it, and keep it, I would go Kiwi, for the following reasons:

1. Midi in: key contact issues are pretty bad on the Polysix...not as simple as just going in there and cleaning...even with the various repairs available achieving 100% is not a guarantee.

2. Never have to deal with the possibility of the repaired board coming back to haunt with additional problems related to the corrosion.

3. Other enhancements

That said, I would make sure you love it before you dump a lot of money into it. It’s still fairly lucrative to sell a problematic Polysix. I went through the whole process with reviving a Polysix with the intent to keep it...but in the end the key contacts maybe being less than 100% drove me nuts, even after taking the trouble to do bob weigels fix, the build quality is ****, and didn’t love the sound of it and sold it.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

I've populated a number of blank KLM367 pcb's and I think the cost was around $80 a board or something. I'd replace yours... that corrosion is very difficult to stop completely.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

I bought a polysix a while back in similar condition, cleaned up all the mess. It was good for a while but a year or so later it stopped working. That corrosion is quite insidious and can keep going even if it looks clean.
So I ended up going the kiwi-six route... whatever you do you’ll want to replace that circuit board
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

I tried to repair the broken leads on my Polysix board, but I never got it to work properly, so I ended up buying the Synthronics replacement board, and it worked perfectly.
And as jizmatron says, the problem can come back later on an acid destroyed board, so its easier to replace it instead of trying to repair.
And the Polysix´s are rather high in price on the used market so the investment is worth it in my opinion.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Honestly, that doesn't look too bad. If it were mine, I'd probably repair it -- but I have specific experience with repairing PCB damage of all sorts. I certainly wouldn't fault anyone for not wanting to bother and replacing it (especially if you want the enhanced features), however.
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kslight View Post
If you’re gonna do it, and keep it, I would go Kiwi, for the following reasons:

1. Midi in: key contact issues are pretty bad on the Polysix...not as simple as just going in there and cleaning...even with the various repairs available achieving 100% is not a guarantee.

2. Never have to deal with the possibility of the repaired board coming back to haunt with additional problems related to the corrosion.

3. Other enhancements

That said, I would make sure you love it before you dump a lot of money into it. It’s still fairly lucrative to sell a problematic Polysix. I went through the whole process with reviving a Polysix with the intent to keep it...but in the end the key contacts maybe being less than 100% drove me nuts, even after taking the trouble to do bob weigels fix, the build quality is ****, and didn’t love the sound of it and sold it.
That's great information - thanks - I'm definitely not looking to sell it. It's more of a sentimental project at this point as I remember hanging out in my buddies basement playing with it in the 80's. I've got a son now who is playing bass and is also interested in learning keys so when it was gifted to me I was pretty intent on restoring it to its' former glory.

I'll likely pull the board over the next couple of days and upload a few more pics to get some further opinions.
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by noddyspuncture View Post
I've seen worse... and I've repaired worse..!

Looks quite localised. If you get that battery out and clean up the acid with copious amounts of alcohol there might be only a handful of traces to repair..!?

Do you have the schematics...?
I don't have the schematics yet - I think I'll pull the board and upload a few more pics. I took another brief look this morning and it didn't appear as bad as I originally thought. But then, things aren't always as they seem.....

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search