The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
octatrack mk1 or analog rytm mk1? Keyboard Synthesizers
Old 4 days ago
Here for the gear

octatrack mk1 or analog rytm mk1?

i currently have a minilogue and a reface dx, and i need a drum machine/brain to go fully dawless. i like the concept of making the drums on the machine (rytm), but the diversity of sounds in sampling is near endless. does the rytm match up? i see them both for around the same price.
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonyhw3 View Post
i currently have a minilogue and a reface dx, and i need a drum machine/brain to go fully dawless. i like the concept of making the drums on the machine (rytm), but the diversity of sounds in sampling is near endless. does the rytm match up? i see them both for around the same price.
I like the sound of the AR more + it has the new Dual VCO mode so you can use it as four mono synths at the same time. But the OT is the most competent and would probably suit your needs better.

/Carl
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonyhw3 View Post
LOOK AT IT THIS WAY

OT allows more action due to midi sequencing so you can utilise both synths easily, it also allows you to MIX the synths and/or sample any sequenced synth loops/stabs etc and alter them and playback on the fly - the RYTM is a killer drum machine but cannot compare to the OT nor the other way around.

BTW THE OT is a fantastic synth in itself, it doesn't have to be operated as a sampler/sequencer/drum machine, you can make it's tracks act like mono synths or you can make it a poly, each track has it's own 2 fx (but can chain 6 more if desirable) plus 3 lfo (freely designable version as well) and 2 env with lots of options to affect sound

it is also a massive fx box, mixer etc with some clever routing options for audio based in and outside of it - going standalone with the OT as the partner is a much better option IMO, not doing the rytm down at all as it is fantastic

happy hunting - neither will disappoint but i just think the OT could suit your intended purpose better
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

If you plan to sequence via what ever you buy, you need to go OT as the AR can’t sequence other instruments.
Old 1 day ago
Gear Maniac

You want both, or...

start with Digitakt. Drum machine, MIDI SEQUENCER and Sampler.

OT has limitations for MIDI sequencing. You can’t change external patches unless you change banks or part. It’s better at MIDI sequencing a synth that doesn’t hold patches or a synth that you don’t i tend to patch change every pattern.

The RYTM doesn’t sequence external instruments. However, the RYTM is now a monster bass machine as well as a an analog drum machine. It’s simply the greatest analog drum machine ever made. The DUAL VCO mode has changed everything.

Check out the bass this thing can put out now:

Analog Rytm Bass Invaders - Plughugger - we love sounds
Old 1 day ago
Gear Maniac

Stumbled upon this yesterday. It made me love my octa even more. Note that i use mkI but most (if not all) what he hints with mkII is possible with mkI

Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by guyacier View Post
You want both, or...

start with Digitakt. Drum machine, MIDI SEQUENCER and Sampler.

OT has limitations for MIDI sequencing. You can’t change external patches unless you change banks or part. It’s better at MIDI sequencing a synth that doesn’t hold patches or a synth that you don’t i tend to patch change every pattern.

The RYTM doesn’t sequence external instruments. However, the RYTM is now a monster bass machine as well as a an analog drum machine. It’s simply the greatest analog drum machine ever made. The DUAL VCO mode has changed everything.

Check out the bass this thing can put out now:

Analog Rytm Bass Invaders - Plughugger - we love sounds
Octatrack obliterates Digitakt in overall functions. The limitations of MIDI sequencing that you speak of mean little when you look at the overall advantages OT has over DT. The only person who would recommend a Digitakt over an Octatrack is the person who hasn't used and mastered an Octatrack. The OT is still the best thing Elektron has ever produced by a landslide margin.
Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear

Quote:

]
you have 4 parts in every bank, you have 16 banks, each bank has 16 patterns - that is easy maths for how many prog changes we have access to and when, exactly how many presets do you envision you may need to change to call it a limitation in some sort of negative light?

i am trying to understand so please explain how many patterns link to a different patch in your tracks?

eg: pattern 1 is 64 steps and has a bassline, patt2 is 64 steps and has a diff bassline? and so on?

IMO there is nothing wrong with changing a part to access a prog change across midi.
Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRSC View Post
Octatrack obliterates Digitakt in overall functions. The limitations of MIDI sequencing that you speak of mean little when you look at the overall advantages OT has over DT. The only person who would recommend a Digitakt over an Octatrack is the person who hasn't used and mastered an Octatrack. The OT is still the best thing Elektron has ever produced by a landslide margin.
boom

bang on the mark
Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by routine View Post
Stumbled upon this yesterday. It made me love my octa even more. Note that i use mkI but most (if not all) what he hints with mkII is possible with mkI

nothing can be achieved on a mk2 that cannot be achieved on a mk1
Old 22 hours ago
Gear Maniac

I like my DT, but then I see people slicing/mangling live on the OT and am seems like an amazing brain for a perfomance setup where DT is sometimes lacking

If only I wasn't too lazy to sell my DT. OT mk1 seem a bargain right now
Old 20 hours ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie munro View Post
you have 4 parts in every bank, you have 16 banks, each bank has 16 patterns - that is easy maths for how many prog changes we have access to and when, exactly how many presets do you envision you may need to change to call it a limitation in some sort of negative light?

i am trying to understand so please explain how many patterns link to a different patch in your tracks?

eg: pattern 1 is 64 steps and has a bassline, patt2 is 64 steps and has a diff bassline? and so on?

IMO there is nothing wrong with changing a part to access a prog change across midi.
Some people like to change the patch per step.

It’s a cool trick on the Digitone or a4 / ak

Some people change patches more often.

It was an FYI.

I own the OT2, a pair (2) of RYTM mki, the digitakt and an Analog Keys.
Old 20 hours ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by lost_the_peace View Post
I like my DT, but then I see people slicing/mangling live on the OT and am seems like an amazing brain for a perfomance setup where DT is sometimes lacking

If only I wasn't too lazy to sell my DT. OT mk1 seem a bargain right now
Two totally different machines with different ideologies and faiths.
Old 20 hours ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRSC View Post
They are two different machines with different purposes and functions.

You want all your drums choked off?

I think the Digitakt is a perfect drum machine one-shot sampler. Maybe even basic synth.

The RYTM is now an analog drum and bass god with the dual vco.

The OT is an audio toolbox like no other.

I do not see a problem here
Old 20 hours ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Two totally different machines with different ideologies and faiths.
I see where you're coming from, but imo a test of this would be, what benefit would a DT give you if you own an OT? Vice versa i can defo tell you

People say the DT is more immediate, but my experience is people overstate complexity of the MK1 units

I am happy with DT. It's just epic what I hear people do with OT
Old 20 hours ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:

I think the Digitakt is a perfect drum machine one-shot sampler. Maybe even basic synth.

Problem is DT is a drum sampler with no accommodation for lack of slicing

Any sampler with a sequencer I might want to mangle quantised by tempo. I accept lack of slicing but there's no equivalent modulation / easy way to p-lock. Without this feature its a limited sampler, I don't want to have to own two that's insanity
Old 19 hours ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Some people like to change the patch per step.

It’s a cool trick on the Digitone or a4 / ak

Some people change patches more often.

It was an FYI.

I own the OT2, a pair (2) of RYTM mki, the digitakt and an Analog Keys.
hey it's a discussion bud and fair points being made both ways, i know the DT well enough fwiw

FTR i could just shorten the pattern length on the OT if i needed to prog ch: more often but you know that already as you are an OT owner

Please show me a track where prog change per step is truly useful and more importantly reliable across midi comms, especially for OP who has a reface and ML as their two synths.
Old 19 hours ago
Lives for gear

we really shouldn't be comparing OT to DT, the Dt has benefits but the boss is clear.

OP wanted a brain and comped OT and RYTM, DT wasn't in it and rightly so
Old 19 hours ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by lost_the_peace View Post
I see where you're coming from, but imo a test of this would be, what benefit would a DT give you if you own an OT? Vice versa i can defo tell you

People say the DT is more immediate, but my experience is people overstate complexity of the MK1 units

I am happy with DT. It's just epic what I hear people do with OT

They aren’t the same machine. They aren’t competing.

The DIGITAKT is 8 immediate mono tracks that you can pump a sample into fast.

So, I can sample an entire R8 kit in 15 seconds. I then take that sample and start stop point 8 of the sounds across the top 8 buttons. Hit record and boom I have a beat.

Why would you wany to use 8 OT tracks for this?

Even if you pull from the pool or slice on one track they choke each other.

With the DT you can then tweak each sound om the fly. Simple. Straight ahead.

The MIDI is simple too. Let’s say you have two external synths. You have 8 parts to your songs. The OT could work. 4 parts each offering a patch change the change the bank for 4 more parts. The Digitakt let’s you change whatever, whenever.

To me, the OT is the boss, but it is more useful as a stereo track mangler, long play stream, fx processor, Sequencing a Boomstar or Boog type synth. There’s probably a way to spread the drums without choking. I dunno.

Just seems a waste to use it as a drum machine sequencer.

To me. This is my view.
Old 15 hours ago
Lives for gear

Quote:

Choked off? If you can't time an open hat to close at the right time, that's on you man. You can make entire, arranged, multi-effected instrumentals with vocals using an Octatrack-try doing it with a Digitakt. Nuff said.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search