The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
H8000fw as audio interface a good idea? Audio Interfaces
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

H8000fw as audio interface a good idea?

Read a bunch of threads and seems mixed opinions on this. I was considering picking up a used prism orpheus and summing bus, and maybe saving up for a used h8000fw, but if I could use the H8000fw as my main audio interface and get 'near' prism quality, that'd be a no brainer, especially as people say the converters on the H8000fw are some of the best out there.

Most of the posts on this online are about a decade old. Any more recent advice on this?
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by fromthepuggle View Post
Read a bunch of threads and seems mixed opinions on this. I was considering picking up a used prism orpheus and summing bus, and maybe saving up for a used h8000fw, but if I could use the H8000fw as my main audio interface and get 'near' prism quality, that'd be a no brainer, especially as people say the converters on the H8000fw are some of the best out there.

Most of the posts on this online are about a decade old. Any more recent advice on this?
FireWire is pretty much end of life, so you wouldn’t really be ending up with something to go into the future with. But I’d love to have a H8000 just for the fx.
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

From what I can tell there are cheap devices you can buy on amazon that convert both types of firewire to thunderbolt. But I hear accurate clocking is very important to get fully quality out of H8000fw, not sure what such conversions might do.

It would of course be mostly for the fx. But if it could remove the need for a costly high quality audio interface, that's a very nice bonus that could make the price tag less of a reach.
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Instead of Firewire; what about combining with ADAT like a Behringer ADA-8000 ?
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Not sure this a good idea.

As others have pointed out, firewire has been dead for many years. Also firewire driver support from Eventide wasn't especially strong.

I'd get an RME instead.
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Not a bad idea, but your best bet is to pair it up with something like an RME USB ADAT interface, like the digiface.
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

What's the point of ADAT in this case? Aren't the converters in the H8000fw gonna beat out whatever converters would be in most ADAT interfaces?
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
What's the point of ADAT in this case? Aren't the converters in the H8000fw gonna beat out whatever converters would be in most ADAT interfaces?
I think the point was that you'd connect the H8000FW to an RME ADAT interface as the IO without dealing with firewire.
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Not sure on the state of the drivers but I have a RME fireface 400 that works fine on both Windows and Mac although i suspect it’s because RME is so good with backwards driver support
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

analog audio into audio inputs on h8000fw, by firewire to computer, and reverse. why put ADAT inbetween, especially with the quality converters on the H8000fw. Sure fire-wire's on the way out, but isn't it worth it to convert the firewire rather than buy a whole new set of converters?
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
analog audio into audio inputs on h8000fw, by firewire to computer, and reverse. why put ADAT inbetween, especially with the quality converters on the H8000fw. Sure fire-wire's on the way out, but isn't it worth it to convert the firewire rather than buy a whole new set of converters?
It seems the Eventide has AES I/O - pair that with the Lynx AES16 for pure joy and rock sold operation. I would use AES over ADAT anyday. In either scenario, a PCIE ADAT or AES card must be used, bypassing firewire altogether. This would be much preferred and much more solid.

with ADAT, AES or firewire, only the Eventide is doing the conversion - you're a bit mixed up there. The adat or aes is the link between the computer card and the Eventide, and is purely digital.
Old 4 days ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
You are confused
The Eventide is still doing the analog to digital, and digital to analog conversions
What is being proposed is swapping the FireWire connection for adat connections i.e. the digital connections
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike vee View Post
It seems the Eventide has AES I/O - pair that with the Lynx AES16 for pure joy and rock sold operation. I would use AES over ADAT anyday.
The H8000 has 4 analog inputs (and is 8x8 channels in total), hence all the recommendations to use ADAT.

AES is limited to 2 channel.
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by gear_up View Post
The H8000 has 4 analog inputs (and is 8x8 channels in total), hence all the recommendations to use ADAT.

AES is limited to 2 channel.
The H8000FW also has an AES DB-25 connector with 8 channels of AES I/O.
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by e6400ultra View Post
The H8000FW also has an AES DB-25 connector with 8 channels of AES I/O.
Thanks for the correction! Did not realize.

I'm wondering though, outside of the ability to go 96Khz, what do you get with AES that you don't get with ADAT? Are there any interfaces that have 4 x AES ins and outs? With ADAT, the OP would have just a single cable and it would work right away. . .
Old 2 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by gear_up View Post
Thanks for the correction! Did not realize.

I'm wondering though, outside of the ability to go 96Khz, what do you get with AES that you don't get with ADAT? Are there any interfaces that have 4 x AES ins and outs? With ADAT, the OP would have just a single cable and it would work right away. . .
AES is way more stable than ADAT, with a better connector and better clocking - and MOST importantly, goes to 96k.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search