The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Roland TR-8S MIDI IN? Drum Machines & Samplers
Old 5 days ago
Here for the gear

Roland TR-8S MIDI IN?

Hi,

I'm new to Roland TR-8S - it's my first drum machine. I'm working with Ableton 10. I create a basic pattern on the TR-8S and can then successfully record it (as MIDI or Audio) in Ableton.

If I record the MIDI I can see the recorded patterns appear in Ableton, however, when I come to play it back (press play in Ableton), Ableton seems to start whatever pattern is on the TR-8S rather than playing the MIDI stored and edited in Ableton.

Thus, I'm wondering if my understanding of this is correct, can the TR-8S receive MIDI in for playing specific notes/patterns/sequence I've created/edited in Ableton?

Or is the TR-8S limited to only receiving play start/end and tempo from Ableton?

Do I need to program TR-8S directly on it's own sequencer or can I use Ableton for more complicated sequencing of MIDI?

Thanks,
Old 4 days ago
Turn off the midi clock going to the TR8s in Live, then make sure that the TR8s and Live are both on the same midi channel. Try sending the midi from Live to another sound module just to make sure your interface s behaving correctly.
Old 4 days ago
Kja
Lives for gear
And also drum machine don't have the same chromatic scaling as a synth, they use drum mapping.
Old 3 days ago
Here for the gear

Thanks for suggestions. I can now get it to work. I simply turn Preferences | MIDI | Output (2) TR-8S Sync to Off to play back the recorded MIDI.

I had got myself into a pickle because Ableton had entered a strange mode where it was not playing that MIDI back at all. I got to the bottom of it when I spotted a new icon appeared on the track and when I hovered it said:

Single Track Back to Arrangement
When you play a clip on this track in the Session View, this button will appear to indicate that the current state differs from the state which is stored in the Arrangement. Clicking this button makes Live play the Arrangement content of this track.

(See image and the grey button on the left of the 6 MIDI blue box).

I'm not sure what caused and I'm not really sure what it means that but when I pressed the button the tracked behaved as expected again.
Attached Thumbnails
Roland TR-8S MIDI IN?-2019-01-14_20-43-11.png  
Top Mentioned Products
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search