The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Is MPC with JJOS like the 4000? Drum Machines & Samplers
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Is MPC with JJOS like the 4000?

I’d like a small MPC 4000 but I’m not convinced the Live is there yet. Does anyone use either the 1000 or 2500 with any of the JJOS and specifically does it have anything like the mod matrix capability that the 4000 has? So you can get pretty ‘out there’ with assigning lfo’s to various parameters - I like to get into bending and detailed messing with samples.

edit - I looked at the jjos feature list page but I’m still not clear.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Honestly I would just find a way to get on with the MPC 4000. It really destroys the others IMO.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

The answer is no. 4000 sample engine is like the z4/8 which JJOS isn't. If you want that get a Z4/8 or a MPC 4000.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Thanks both. I’ve got a 4000 and it’s really fantastic, but massive, and getting on a bit. I was curious about a 1000 running jjos but looks like it’s not a goer.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

I actually own all three MPCs mentioned above:

MPC 4000
MPC 2500 w/JJOS2XL
MPC 1000 w/JJOS2XL

If I had to pick one out of all the above, it would definitely be the MPC 4000 without a doubt.

To answer your question, No. The JJOS, although a very nice and intuitive OS, is NOT a substitute for an MPC 4000. The JJOS does not have the comprehensive modulation matrix found in the MPC 4000. The MPC 4000 is a full fledged studio sampler (Akai Z8) embedded inside of a drummachine/sequencing workstation. The Z8 and MPC4000 are the most advanced samplers Akai has ever produced, even til this day. The MPC X and Live are not quite there yet.

With that said, the features of the MPC X and Live are quite impressive and comprehensive. With a little more development of the software, I think it could be possible to add a mod matrix in a future update. However, I will never know for sure at this point since I don't work for Akai. I just think the new hardware has the potential and don't see why it wouldn't.

I would think the new flagship MPC should surpass the predecessors in terms of features, but the unfortunate truth is, it obviously doesn't in some cases.

Hope this helps.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kvmoore View Post
I actually own all three MPCs mentioned above:

MPC 4000
MPC 2500 w/JJOS2XL
MPC 1000 w/JJOS2XL

If I had to pick one out of all the above, it would definitely be the MPC 4000 without a doubt.

To answer your question, No. The JJOS, although a very nice and intuitive OS, is NOT a substitute for an MPC 4000. The JJOS does not have the comprehensive modulation matrix found in the MPC 4000. The MPC 4000 is a full fledged studio sampler (Akai Z8) embedded inside of a drummachine/sequencing workstation. The Z8 and MPC4000 are the most advanced samplers Akai has ever produced, even til this day. The MPC X and Live are not quite there yet.

Hope this helps.
Thanks very helpful. I download the MPC X manual everytime the software gets updated but seems like it’s lacking the mod matrix which is my favourite bit of the 4000.

Pioneer SP16 looks interesting, have you tried that? I know it’s not a 4K but seems to have some lfo mod capabilities.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedmanzie View Post
Thanks very helpful. I download the MPC X manual everytime the software gets updated but seems like it’s lacking the mod matrix which is my favourite bit of the 4000.

Pioneer SP16 looks interesting, have you tried that? I know it’s not a 4K but seems to have some lfo mod capabilities.
You are very welcome.

No, I haven't had the opportunity to try an SP16 yet. It definitely looks interesting though.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
I’d like a small MPC 4000 but I’m not convinced the Live is there yet. Does anyone use either the 1000 or 2500 with any of the JJOS and specifically does it have anything like the mod matrix capability that the 4000 has? So you can get pretty ‘out there’ with assigning lfo’s to various parameters - I like to get into bending and detailed messing with samples.

edit - I looked at the jjos feature list page but I’m still not clear.
I use a 1000 with JJOS and the Live. The Live is better, period.

There are a couple of features on JJOS which aren't on the Live, but I don't miss them.

The Live doesn't have a mod matrix though, and some other important stuff like multi-midi in.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Another thing your not going to get is the 10 out that the MPC 4000 has, if that's important to you..
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

Quote:

The SP16 modulation features are even poorer than the MPC1000. This is a sampler for DJs not for serious sample work. There is nothing like the mpc4000 on the market right now period. Even electron gear doesn't touch it when it comes to creating complex programs.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by camus2 View Post
The SP16 modulation features are even poorer than the MPC1000. This is a sampler for DJs not for serious sample work. There is nothing like the mpc4000 on the market right now period. Even electron gear doesn't touch it when it comes to creating complex programs.
I have a Digitakt and it's the closest I have to a 'mini' 4000 for sample fun, but very cut down compared to the 4k King Although to be fair it does a few things that the 4000 doesn't, but not many.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
I have 'a Digitakt and it's the closest I have to a 'mini' 4000 for sample fun, but very cut down compared to the 4k King Although to be fair it does a few things that the 4000 doesn't, but not many.
If you ignore the limited polyphony, the lack of sample layering, only 8 sample tracks , no stereo sampling , no sample processing, no audio streaming, the monophonic sequencer with limited bar length then maybe.

Last edited by camus2; 1 week ago at 10:52 AM.. Reason: processing
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

I have the MPC 4000 and the MPC Live.

MPC 4000 is very comprehensive, but it's also huge and quite heavy. MPC Live is very handy for travelling and bringing along wherever you want to go. Easy to use and perfect for slacking in a relaxed position after dinner, when tired, wasted or whatever. That's big for me personally.

The effects section is limited on the 4000. Much more flexible on the Live. Also the file system is oldschool, and if you have a big sample library you'll need an old laptop running XP to comfortably transfer it to the 4000 using Aksys. It wasn't a dealbreaker for me, but something to concider.

I don't use the 4000 nowadays, mostly because I had to temporarily rent an apartment and I don't have the space for setting up everything until I get a house. I don't miss it much after I got the Live though. It cover most of what the 4000 does and I find it faster to use.

I got the 4000 mostly because I'm fuzzy about timing issues, but I don't notice any with the Live at all, before arrangements start to build up and get complex. I'll then sample some of it, keep the original arrangement and start a new session with the audio clips I sampled and the rest of the arrangement. Easy peasy. All in the slacker position with a beer in an arm lengths distance.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by camus2 View Post
If you ignore the limited polyphony, the lack of sample layering, only 8 sample tracks , no stereo sampling , no sample processing, no audio streaming, the monophonic sequencer with limited bar length then maybe.
Agreed the DT is annoyingly cut down - mono sampling is particularly annoying and the lack of outs is a killer. It does have some good loop options which I don't think the 4000 has (could be wrong there) which are good for making interesting sounds.

It does this very good thing where if you hold down 'track' and then adjust a parameter (eg sample pitch) then it applies that mod to all tracks at the same time. I know the 4000 has the 'ALL' feature in the program edit, which does the same thing but I've never worked out if this can be applied to a Q-Link? Would that be possible? Q-Links are still a bit of a mystery to me on the 4000.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by HUBA View Post

MPC 4000 is very comprehensive, but it's also huge and quite heavy. MPC Live is very handy for travelling and bringing along wherever you want to go. Easy to use and perfect for slacking in a relaxed position after dinner, when tired, wasted or whatever. That's big for me personally.

The effects section is limited on the 4000. Much more flexible on the Live. Also the file system is oldschool, and if you have a big sample library you'll need an old laptop running XP to comfortably transfer it to the 4000 using Aksys. It wasn't a dealbreaker for me, but something to concider.

I don't use the 4000 nowadays, mostly because I had to temporarily rent an apartment and I don't have the space for setting up everything until I get a house. I don't miss it much after I got the Live though. It cover most of what the 4000 does and I find it faster to use.

I got the 4000 mostly because I'm fuzzy about timing issues, but I don't notice any with the Live at all, before arrangements start to build up and get complex. I'll then sample some of it, keep the original arrangement and start a new session with the audio clips I sampled and the rest of the arrangement. Easy peasy. All in the slacker position with a beer in an arm lengths distance.
Yep. Whatever features the Live/X is missing compared to the 4000 or JJ, a lot of that is compensated for by a) ease of use and immediacy and b) lots of good features that are not on those earlier ones. For example, although it does not have a mod matrix, the effects options and routing on it is madness. Four effects per pad (128 pads altogether), four effects per program, plus sends. Add flatten pad to that and that is a lot of capability, even if some of the effects aren't the best (though some of them are better than you may expect). . .
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by HUBA View Post

Also the file system is oldschool, and if you have a big sample library you'll need an old laptop running XP to comfortably transfer it to the 4000 using Aksys.It wasn't a dealbreaker for me, but something to concider.
You can use a USB thumb drive to keep your sample library on,no point in keeping an old PC for transferring it via a USB cable!I don't bother with AKsys anymore its old hat and transferring everything via the USB cable back and forth between MPC computer is far too frustrating and time consuming

I swap in and out my samples/Files from my Mac onto the Thumbdrive and into the MPC with no issues,I also don't even bother with an internal HD on the 4K anymore,I have 4 128gb Thumbdrives that I keep MPC files on.I find this a far more safer method for quick files saves and swaps between the Computer/MPC.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

not sure if the Live still has that editing resolution issue. whereby the knob seemed to only be able to nudge a note by 120 ppqn. also not sure if it has a good groove quantize system. then again, I don't think the 4000 had much in the way of groove system either. I kinda need those things. but I also think they are important to have for various general musical reasons.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muser View Post
not sure if the Live still has that editing resolution issue. whereby the knob seemed to only be able to nudge a note by 120 ppqn. also not sure if it has a good groove quantize system. then again, I don't think the 4000 had much in the way of groove system either. I kinda need those things. but I also think they are important to have for various general musical reasons.
Go to 5:55 in the video for real time quantize/swing..

Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEXUS-6 View Post
Go to 5:55 in the video for real time quantize/swing..

he's going through a good set of features in that video. what I mean though is groove quantize. on some devices like an RM1X yamaha you can even define your own groove patterns to quantize to. some devices like the Roland MV's have extra sets of groove preset templates and the swing offbeat can move earlier or later. these things are really useful to have. at least they are for me.
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
also not sure if it has a good groove quantize system.
The Live has groove quantize, and can be set to adjust in real time.
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Praxisaxis View Post
The Live has groove quantize, and can be set to adjust in real time.
any examples or explanations floating round you know of ? I'd be interested to see how it's working.
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
any examples or explanations floating round you know of ? I'd be interested to see how it's working.
Sorry, I think I may be slightly misinterpreting your term here.

I meant to say it has swing quantize, which I guess isn't that remarkable. However, you can:

* adjust the quantize strength, and it can be changed using a Q-link in real time.

* Using off-line quantizing you can adjust start, end, length and legato.

* It also has comprehensive (tweakable) offline humanize function, and random events generation.

I don't know if this all amounts to actual "groove quantize" though.
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Praxisaxis View Post
Sorry, I think I may be slightly misinterpreting your term here.

I meant to say it has swing quantize, which I guess isn't that remarkable. However, you can:

* adjust the quantize strength, and it can be changed using a Q-link in real time.

* Using off-line quantizing you can adjust start, end, length and legato.

* It also has comprehensive (tweakable) offline humanize function, and random events generation.

I don't know if this all amounts to actual "groove quantize" though.
that's what I currently understand about it too, but I thought I might have missed something because not a lot of people talk about groove quantize much, so it's not always high on peoples radar. but .. it's very handy to have. in DAW's you usually can get grooves from splitting audio and storing as a groove quantize templates, or using some midi part as the groove template. it's very handy to have.

one of the reasons the 120 ppqn midi nudge issue concerned me in the Live was that you would ideally need the full 480 ppqn nudge resolution in order for you to be able to nudge down to the finest value of the unit, in order for the unit to have a full resolution groove template ability. e.g. it kind of prevents arguing for a custom user groove template capability if you can't get down to the full resolution by nudging at that resolution in the Lives editor.

when you get a combination of quantize (strength) amounts and groove templates, your in a good place imo. especially if you can produce your own custom templates as well. on the MV the quantize system is really good and also has groove templates. the main limitation in it is, you can't actually make custom temples. but it has 70 preset templates of various musical styles and meters.

from what I see with the progress of the Live, if it cracks this feature it would probably go on my to get list pretty quick. Akai seem to be on a roll to responding to user requests atm. partly to do with you guys keeping good order I suspect.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search