The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Chances of Roland and Korg collaborating? Keyboard Synthesizers
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Chances of Roland and Korg collaborating?

Both companies have a big heritage and have released some groundbreaking products over the years. Also both companies have collaborated with others to develop synthesizers. (Korg with Sequential/Yamaha/ARP & Roland with Studio Electronics)

Do you think Roland and Korg could do something together?

If so what would you imagine (using their experiences in certain fields) you would like to see?

Last edited by flat earth; 2 weeks ago at 11:48 AM..
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I would think that a snowball in hell has a greater chance of surviving.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Nut

KaossPad: D-Beam Edition!
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Same chance as the earth being flat.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Its never struck me that they were true arch rivals. They often went in different directions. (Although the Volca/Boutique thing could be seen as direct products placement).

Korg never did a top end 5 octave Analogue back in the day (Trident was the nearest they did), They always seemed to be trying something a little different with synths like Sigma/Delta/Monopoly.

I don't see any reason why they couldn't link up for a few products?
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Lol the last time anyone collaborated, we got MIDI. Something like that will never happen again.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ionian View Post
Lol the last time anyone collaborated, we got MIDI. Something like that will never happen again.
???

SE-02
Driftbox
Wavestation
Karp

... and Dave Smith collaborated with Tom Oberheim, so its not as daft as it seems, surely?
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I think these two are too similar in terms of corporate culture and markets served to directly work together on anything unless they merged or something. Studio Electronics was a more compatible partnership, and Boss has collaborated with JHS pedals. They seem to be more comfortable working with niche/small builders.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Is it April 1st already?
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Addict

You have 2 companies and you collaborate them..

Then what?
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Maybe a Volcaccordion? Or maybe we get a Boutique Volca? Microkorg Boutique? Volcaira?
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehighesttree View Post
KaossPad: D-Beam Edition!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Domitable View Post
You have 2 companies and you collaborate them..

Than what?

I have laughed unreasonably hard and loud on these two posts.

But I had to fix a typo in the second one
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Ok,..... so not likely then
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
(Although the Volca/Boutique thing could be seen as direct products placement)
These products are in different price brackets.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Addict

I wouldn't want Korg infecting Roland (sorry).

While korg currently are in a much nicer position gearslutz wise (awww bless at least they are trying while Roland make soft synths in a box mostly), they make (to me) error after error with basic tone and often have faulty cheapo gear (this goes back to the 80s too). The only Korg I ever kept hold of was the Polysix and still prefer my old Rolands (JX-3P etc).

If Roland (and SE?) finally make a new analog poly with 6+ voice and proper sound (sold my JD-XA thanks but.. not quite there) then it would be the strengths of both teams in play, Roland's possible great design and build (if they don't cheapen out again) and SE's analog know how + Roland's refined musical toning.

Put Korg in that mix and you'll get vanilla/sterile tone, cheap sounding oscs and quality problems.

No thanks. Roland are worth 10 of korg WHEN they are firing on all cylinders (which I admit hasn't been for quite a few years now).
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToneKontrol View Post

While korg currently are in a much nicer position gearslutz wise (awww bless at least they are trying while Roland make soft synths in a box mostly), they make (to me) error after error with basic tone and often have faulty cheapo gear (this goes back to the 80s too). The only Korg I ever kept hold of was the Polysix and still prefer my old Rolands (JX-3P etc).

If Roland (and SE?) finally make a new analog poly with 6+ voice and proper sound (sold my JD-XA thanks but.. not quite there) then it would be the strengths of both teams in play, Roland's possible great design and build (if they don't cheapen out again) and SE's analog know how + Roland's refined musical toning.

Put Korg in that mix and you'll get vanilla/sterile tone, cheap sounding oscs and quality problems.

No thanks. Roland are worth 10 of korg WHEN they are firing on all cylinders (which I admit hasn't been for quite a few years now).
You forgot to put in 'Imo' Pro5
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToneKontrol View Post

Same, IMHO. Korg was the poor man’s option in the 80s, you generally didn’t prefer Korg, you used them because that’s what you could afford. That isn’t a knock on Korg, I’m sure it’ll ruffle some feathers...but there’s absolutely good reason to have a value segment. But it’s funny to me when old Korg polys are put on a pedestal, even the revered Polysix. Important though it was (cheap polysynth at the time), it isn’t half as good as the internet suggests. YMMV
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I don’t have much experience of Roland equipment, I own a Vsynth.

I do have quite a lot of Korg stuff though, and always loved their approach to UI and synthesis. Whether it be Mono/Poly, 01w, the MOSS stuff, I always find very interesting and usable sounds.

I think that if Korg released some eurorack, then you could create your own hybrid product. You could buy the Roland System stuff and then mix them with modules like:

- Mono/Poly VCO
- DWGS dual Oscillator (with RingSync)
- 01w Waveshaper
- MS20 Filter
- RADIAS Grainshifter
- DSS1 Hardsync Sampler Osc

Etc etc etc.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by xanderbeanz View Post
I don’t have much experience of Roland equipment, I own a Vsynth.

I do have quite a lot of Korg stuff though, and always loved their approach to UI and synthesis. Whether it be Mono/Poly, 01w, the MOSS stuff, I always find very interesting and usable sounds.

I think that if Korg released some eurorack, then you could create your own hybrid product. You could buy the Roland System stuff and then mix them with modules like:

- Mono/Poly VCO
- DWGS dual Oscillator (with RingSync)
- 01w Waveshaper
- MS20 Filter
- RADIAS Grainshifter
- DSS1 Hardsync Sampler Osc

Etc etc etc.
Indeed.

For someone to say Korg would 'Infect' Roland is ridiculous. Roland have the 80's sown up, but Korg outdid them from then on imo. Much deeper synthesis options (OASIS system, Z1, Wavestation, Synthkit, AL-1, MOD-7 etc etc) , Not constant recycling of the rather average JP8000 engine). Also plenty of their analogue gear was on par (if not better in some respects) PS, PE Series, Monopoly, Trident, 800DV/770, MS Series all of which have become as much coveted as the Roland stuff)

I think its an unlikely, but perfectly viable proposition to use both companies GREAT products and knowledge from past and future imho.

Btw, one of the greatest synth bands of all time in the studio.

See equal amounts of both

Last edited by flat earth; 1 week ago at 01:20 PM..
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict
I feel like it's hard to express how I feel about Korg. On one hand, they've really made some strides in their products, and I like their attitude towards software. On the other hand, I've never really liked how the MS2000's (and further derived products) sound.

I like their industrial design with their new analog synth stuff, and at some point I would like to get a Karp Odyssey module (if only for being an early 90s 808 state fan), but they've never really "called" me versus a bunch of Roland/Elektron stuff.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by space skeleton View Post
I feel like it's hard to express how I feel about Korg. On one hand, they've really made some strides in their products, and I like their attitude towards software. On the other hand, I've never really liked how the MS2000's (and further derived products) sound.

I like their industrial design with their new analog synth stuff, and at some point I would like to get a Karp Odyssey module (if only for being an early 90s 808 state fan), but they've never really "called" me versus a bunch of Roland/Elektron stuff.
I get the feeling that more people prefer Roland than Korg on this forum, although one of the reasons I like Korg stuff, is that it isn't used so much and is perhaps less cliched. I also prefer the early Korg analogue american style sound compared to Rolands precise laser like analogue sound which honestly just doesn't do it for me, but that's purely my opinion & taste.

I think some are missing the original question and its gone into a A vs B tangent.

I was more interested in what people thought they might conjour up together (if you can get past the hilariously funny cliched and predictable jokes we have heard).

My vision would be a Re-emergence of Korgs Synthkit (Original OASYS/Z1) + MOD-7 tied with V-Synth technology, I think something along those lines would be wildly good fun and perhaps splice the best of both worlds into one project.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac
Id say the chances of a collab are very good. Theyll call it a Rorg. My god thats catchy.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolname6 View Post
Id say the chances of a collab are very good. Theyll call it a Rorg. My god thats catchy.
Koland

I'm looking forward to the Aria / ACB2 Volcas which are getting better every year ...
an MS20 in this advanced technology should not be missed either
ps3xxx payable monthly as a plug-out
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

I'd support it just for the chance to say I own a Rorg.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

So we take faulty screen from Juno-G, add some oscillators with pitch tuning problems from Korg Prologue , stop producing OS updates 2 month after release like Roland does, add problematic volume knob from Korg Monologue, maybe faulty keys from Jd-Xi, get rid of additional outputs, chromatic sampling but add fancy flashlights like Roland does, start re-releasing that synth in 3 versions - each missing something important, thus present in siblings, reissue that line for 3-4 generations by changing prefixes like both of them do and also call Yamaha for advice on how to complicate user UI of performances/parts/layers/scenes or whatsoever...

Umm, no, maybe yes

- but no.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

I think that would be liable to have both the management quirks of Korg and Roland... probably not a good project to be in.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by flat earth View Post
Its never struck me that they were true arch rivals. They often went in different directions
ms20 vs sh5
poly6 vs juno60
m1 vs d50
z1 vs jp8000

thats just off the top, be plenty more and not just synths...

there was a few dirtbike colabs between suzuki and kawasaki but they were mostly rebranding/color the same bike...and the one that was a true colab suzi engine in a kawi frame was considered a failure...

0 chance
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synthstrategy View Post
ms20 vs sh5
poly6 vs juno60
m1 vs d50
z1 vs jp8000

thats just off the top, be plenty more and not just synths...

there was a few dirtbike colabs between suzuki and kawasaki but they were mostly rebranding/color the same bike...and the one that was a true colab suzi engine in a kawi frame was considered a failure...

0 chance
I agree there was some competition, (although it was more the MS2000 that was in competition with the JP8000. The Z1 was a high end well made modeling/VA synth with quality keybed. JP8000 was a cheaply made bog standard VA. I don't think Korg truly thought the M1 was going to be such a success tbh. The D50 was a full on synth festooned with buttons, the M1 was a workstation with minimal controls. Quite different really.

I always thought of Roland, Yamaha, Sequential as the big boys in the playground, with Korg as that geeky kid who had his own ideas but wanted to be in the spotlight occasionally. Weird products like the Sigma, Delta, Monopoly, Trident all kind of felt to me that Korg were not following suit and trying (not always successfully) to not follow the norm.

In my opinion Rolands best product idea was the VSynth, but you could argue that the Korg DSS-1 was the original forerunner to that idea being a basic sample manipulation synth (Although very crude in comparison).

Once again, whilst Roland, Yamaha, Akai were all realising very similar samplers, Korg in the style I mentioned above did something whacky and did the DSS-1 which was quite a different concept, fusing Sampler/Synth/FX together.

When Roland, Yamaha, Sequential, Moog did their big flagship 5 octave dual osc synths (JP8/CS80/P5/MM), korg didn't really respond. The closest thing they did was the Trident which was an entirely different instrument (which now is finally getting the attention it deserved).

Reading Tsutomu Katoh and Ikutaro Kakehashi's comments, they had quite different ideas and outlooks tbh.

The reason I like vintage Korg so much , is because it isn't used so much, I like the sound and people think im weird for not conforming and worshipping Jupiters/Junos and TRs

Maybe im that geeky kid in the playground
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by flat earth
with Korg as that geeky kid who had his own ideas Maybe im that geeky kid in the playground
i agree with most of what you said.
even the last bit....:D
just
poly800 biggest seller
m1 biggest seller
er1 huge seller
microkorg biggest seller
ms20 remade 4 versions

cant name roland gear like that, but i stand to be corrected

i am more korg than roland, but not a brandfanboi

with the dv 800 and the z1 being in my all time favs

ive even seen and poked around a proto 3300 in person..and played and sampled a fully working 3200 for a day..
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search