The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Synths for sale     Latest  Trending
January 2019 New Gear Thread
Old 1st January 2019
Lives for gear

January 2019 New Gear Thread

Happy 2019

So a large bunch (20?) of these turned up today, various lengths, all pink (lol)

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mono-Modu...5-pcs-1-color/

Seemed a decent price (worked out just over £1 per cable) and I’ll be firing up the modular later to see if they perform decently.
Old 1st January 2019
Lives for gear

A colour for every mood
Old 1st January 2019
Lives for gear

Just ordered 4 bass traps
Attached Thumbnails
January 2019 New Gear Thread-standard1-500x500.jpg  
Old 1st January 2019

A kalimba with pickup, the Koma field kit and field kit fx.

Last edited by Howling Terror; 2nd January 2019 at 12:35 AM..
Old 1st January 2019
Lives for gear

Since I didn't get much time with my December '18 synths I've pushed them forward to become honourary Jan '19 synths.

It's already shaping up to be a knobby year.

Korg Mono/Poly:

The Mono/Poly is a great synth although I'm more a fan of sliders over knobs, especially for ADSR envelopes because you can visualize the envelope shape easier. Short of a modular setup or Obie 4V I don't think any other synth lets you cycle through the available oscillators using an apeggiator as easily as the Mono/Poly does. The M/P's paraphonic filter and envelopes aren't as much of a sound liability as you'd think given that most don't consider it a true polysynth.

Waldorf Microwave XTK:

Gotta say, I'm connecting with the XTK far more than I did with the XT. Yeah, they are the same synth but it's amazing how much your perception of soething changes when it's presented to you as an integrated instrument. Purely a psychological phenomenon, albiet a powerful one. Getting paid the equivalent of $200 to take the XTK in exchange for my old (non expandable) XT probably helped.
Old 1st January 2019
Lives for gear

Chucked a few dollars above his minimum donation Aly James Lab way to keep up to date(from VLinn), also sussed how to set the sounds on individual channels as Cubase is now more streamlined/easier to use. Doh, it was simpz...
Old 1st January 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Ocelot View Post
Since I didn't get much time with my December '18 synths I've pushed them forward to become honourary Jan '19 synths.

It's already shaping up to be a knobby year.

Korg Mono/Poly:

The Mono/Poly is a great synth although I'm more a fan of sliders over knobs, especially for ADSR envelopes because you can visualize the envelope shape easier. Short of a modular setup or Obie 4V I don't think any other synth lets you cycle through the available oscillators using an apeggiator as easily as the Mono/Poly does. The M/P's paraphonic filter and envelopes aren't as much of a sound liability as you'd think given that most don't consider it a true polysynth.

Waldorf Microwave XTK:

Gotta say, I'm connecting with the XTK far more than I did with the XT. Yeah, they are the same synth but it's amazing how much your perception of soething changes when it's presented to you as an integrated instrument. Purely a psychological phenomenon, albiet a powerful one. Getting paid the equivalent of $200 to take the XTK in exchange for my old (non expandable) XT probably helped.
An attached keyboard gives me this kind of phenomenon too...tweak tweak, mash some keys, tweak again.

Sadly I only have space for two more keyboards! I’m thinking SQ80 and Prophet 600. Really dig the demos I’ve heard. The 600 filter sweeps give me goosebumps. Have you played either of those synths? Always looking for insights of other synthesists.
Old 1st January 2019
Lives for gear

I added a little culture to the mix. Happy New Year 2019 GS!

January 2019 New Gear Thread-cv2.jpg
Attached Thumbnails
January 2019 New Gear Thread-cv2.jpg  
Old 1st January 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by xanderbeanz View Post
An attached keyboard gives me this kind of phenomenon too...tweak tweak, mash some keys, tweak again.

Sadly I only have space for two more keyboards! I’m thinking SQ80 and Prophet 600. Really dig the demos I’ve heard. The 600 filter sweeps give me goosebumps. Have you played either of those synths? Always looking for insights of other synthesists.
The best demo you can get of the SQ80 is Adamski Live & Direct LP/Killer, it's all he used apart from sampled vox and 909 drums.
Old 1st January 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by breakmixer View Post
[IMG]Chucked a few dollars above his minimum donation Aly James Lab way to keep up to date(from VLinn), also sussed how to set the sounds on individual channels as Cubase is now more streamlined/easier to use. Doh, it was simpz...
That was the gateway drug for me getting into buying hardware eprom drum machines. Great app for sure.
Old 1st January 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzcabbage View Post
That was the gateway drug for me getting into buying hardware eprom drum machines. Great app for sure.
I can't understand why the likes of Arturia or Behringer haven't hired him to make a Vintage Drum Machine in hardware, the guy is a wizard!
Old 1st January 2019
Gear Addict

Out with the old, in with the new! Bought the 800 for a very good price I think ($950 USD). Put the 500 up for sale this morning and already had a buyer. RDs don't go up for sale on Craigslist often in my area. Not a bad way to start my 2019. I love this thing. The keybed is perfect for me.

Only issue is the Korg damper pedal I use with my synths (DS-1H) doesn't work on the 800 for some reason (I sold the original Roland sustain pedal with the 500). Not sure if it's a proprietary conflict or what so I'll just try out a friend's DP10 and hope it's not the damper connector itself. I bought the 800 from Long and McQuade so there's a warranty attached. Just don't want to move this beast unless I have to.
Old 1st January 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domitable View Post
Only issue is the Korg damper pedal I use with my synths (DS-1H) doesn't work on the 800 for some reason (I sold the original Roland sustain pedal with the 500). Not sure if it's a proprietary conflict or what so I'll just try out a friend's DP10 and hope it's not the damper connector itself. I bought the 800 from Long and McQuade so there's a warranty attached. Just don't want to move this beast unless I have to.
Some damper pedals use the opposite polarity. Most modern synths have a dampler pedal polarity setting (probably hidden in a menu) and I've seen a couple of pedals that have a polarity switch.

edit: found the RD800's polarity settings...

Switching The Pedal's Polarity (damper/fc1/fc2/ext Pedal Polarity); Setting The Tuning Method (temperament/key); Selecting The Parts That Will Produce Sound (part Switch 1-16); Transmitting Synchronization Messages (clock Out) - Roland RD-800 Owner's Manual [Page 42]
Old 1st January 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by xanderbeanz View Post

Prophet-600 I've always been intrigued by but I've never had the chance to try one in person, though I've had the awesome opportunity to play a Prophet T-8 (which is more or less a P600 with weghted poly aftertouch and velocity). Time hadn't been kind to the P600 until the Gligli upgrade opened it right up -- and of course they are now expensive and hard to find. There's not a lot of 2 VCO polysynths in an affordable price bracket anymore and the P600 was one of the last.

I've owned a Chroma Polaris for years which was probably the other affordable dual VCO poly so my curiousness about the P600 is blunted somewhat. Polaris was a far more capable synth out of the gate than the P600 -- Gligli does wonders for both it's MIDI spec (it *was* the first MIDI capable synth so I cut it a lot of slack) and for the speed of it's software envelopes making it an almost completely new synth.

I think you'd get on really well with the SQ-80 (or even an ESQ-1). It sounds great though it's achilles heel is that it can't be tweaked live on the same note unless you route things to the mod wheel -- and even then it's one thing at a time... so filter sweeps without any quick way to back off or bump up the resonance (and yet another reason why I prefer sliders to knobs, since you can do this sort of thing with one hand easily). There's plenty of goodies there under the hood for someone not afraid to dig into the menus (3 LFOs, awesome envelopes, the 'hidden' waveforms).

The keyboard will most likely be total crap as the poly aftertouch pads dry out and the keys make noise and feel terrible. I was a guinea pig for a no-clack keyboard upgrade that tremendouly improved the feel and response of the keyboard quite a few years ago but they weren't able to make many of these kits so my SQ-80 is one of a handful. If you ever find one of these upgraded SQ-80s I wouldn't let it out of your sight. The ESQ-1 is easier to find and has a far better keyboard feel than the SQ-80. Poly aftertouch is cool but not at the expense of playability. SQ-80 also has a disk drive but I find they are more trouble than they are worth. The drive is non-standard 800k and is usually found dead but it can be upgraded with a drive emulator. You can send and recieve patches using SYSEX anyway.

The ESQ-1 and SQ-80 have by and far the easist non-knobby UI to navigate and who doesn't love VFD displays? (as a fun side note, I once bought a synth off the guy who came up with that fantastic UI for Ensoniq).
Old 1st January 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Prophet-600 I've always been intrigued by but I've never had the chance to try one in person, though I've had the awesome opportunity to play a Prophet T-8 (which is more or less a P600 with weghted poly aftertouch and velocity). Time hadn't been kind to the P600 until the Gligli upgrade opened it right up -- and of course they are now expensive and hard to find. There's not a lot of 2 VCO polysynths in an affordable price bracket anymore and the P600 was one of the last.

I've owned a Chroma Polaris for years which was probably the other affordable dual VCO poly so my curiousness about the P600 is blunted somewhat. Polaris was a far more capable synth out of the gate than the P600 -- Gligli does wonders for both it's MIDI spec (it *was* the first MIDI capable synth so I cut it a lot of slack) and for the speed of it's software envelopes making it an almost completely new synth.

I think you'd get on really well with the SQ-80 (or even an ESQ-1). It sounds great though it's achilles heel is that it can't be tweaked live on the same note unless you route things to the mod wheel -- and even then it's one thing at a time... so filter sweeps without any quick way to back off or bump up the resonance (and yet another reason why I prefer sliders to knobs, since you can do this sort of thing with one hand easily). There's plenty of goodies there under the hood for someone not afraid to dig into the menus (3 LFOs, awesome envelopes, the 'hidden' waveforms).

The keyboard will most likely be total crap as the poly aftertouch pads dry out and the keys make noise and feel terrible. I was a guinea pig for a no-clack keyboard upgrade that tremendouly improved the feel and response of the keyboard quite a few years ago but they weren't able to make many of these kits so my SQ-80 is one of a handful. If you ever find one of these upgraded SQ-80s I wouldn't let it out of your sight. The ESQ-1 is easier to find and has a far better keyboard feel than the SQ-80. Poly aftertouch is cool but not at the expense of playability. SQ-80 also has a disk drive but I find they are more trouble than they are worth. The drive is non-standard 800k and is usually found dead but it can be upgraded with a drive emulator. You can send and recieve patches using SYSEX anyway.

The ESQ-1 and SQ-80 have by and far the easist non-knobby UI to navigate and who doesn't love VFD displays? (as a fun side note, I once bought a synth off the guy who came up with that fantastic UI for Ensoniq).
That’s really cool! I love the displays. I already have a VFX SDII and an EPS16+ and feel the SQ80 would complete the trio
Old 1st January 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Some damper pedals use the opposite polarity. Most modern synths have a dampler pedal polarity setting (probably hidden in a menu) and I've seen a couple of pedals that have a polarity switch.

edit: found the RD800's polarity settings...

Switching The Pedal's Polarity (damper/fc1/fc2/ext Pedal Polarity); Setting The Tuning Method (temperament/key); Selecting The Parts That Will Produce Sound (part Switch 1-16); Transmitting Synchronization Messages (clock Out) - Roland RD-800 Owner's Manual [Page 42]
Thanks

I did try to reverse the polarity but still no damper response. Strange...
Old 3rd January 2019
Gear Addict

I ended up buying a DP-10 and success! I haz full sustainzzz

I chuckled when I noticed the Roland pedal is made China but my Korg pedal is made in Japan. The Korg has a bit more heft to its build quality as well.

#footpedalfetish

Also, while I was at the store, I picked up a technique book. I'm pretty molasses on the keys so hoping to speed up through 2019. Hanon is the Manon
Old 3rd January 2019
I ordered a new Eurorack case today to house a couple new modules I got during the holiday sales. This doubles my Eurorack capacity while remaining portable for the occasional gig. I went with the Intellijel 7Ux104HP to take advantage of the MIDI and audio connections as well as the 1U utility.

The first ModularGrid screenshot is my "day 1" layout with my existing modules once the case and LZX Cyclops come in. The funky layout is an effort to minimize changes to my existing Mantis case while also preparing for the final 2-case layout. The Mother 32 is getting racked in order to minimize required desk space for now and so I can spend less money on blanks and more on patch cables.

The second MG screenshot is my goal for this year, which should explain the funky spacing.
Attached Thumbnails
January 2019 New Gear Thread-screen-shot-2019-01-03-9.39.10-am.jpg   January 2019 New Gear Thread-modulargrid_463879.jpg   January 2019 New Gear Thread-modulargrid_815344.jpg  
Old 3rd January 2019
Gear Maniac

(Forgot to post this in December)

My first orange synth!
Attached Thumbnails
January 2019 New Gear Thread-3c8db191-1205-473f-88d7-2c2c1b29a3ec.jpg  
Old 4th January 2019
Picked up a mint second hand mf-107 for $450 to complete my moogerfooger collection ... I now have at least one of mf-101 thru mf-108.

First impressions: awesome!

Just had to turn off sync to get it to sound good to my ears as I play more than sequence. Not as hard to tame as I expected. Definitely added some mojo to the signal path I was on today, really like it after the delay as its got its own thing going with the envelopes: Moog D reissue --> mf-104z --> mf-107.

Of course CV is where these pedals shine and this one has jacks for all the knobs.
Attached Thumbnails
January 2019 New Gear Thread-mf-107.jpg  
Old 4th January 2019
Picked up a Peak at last, been thinking about getting one for ages!

I've flicked through the presets and tested it out. Now just to update the firmware and wait for the official (ripoff!) stand to turn up so I can fit it in the proper spot on my desk.
Old 5th January 2019
Lives for gear

Got a copy of the book 'Patch & Tweak'. Anyone into synths, even if you're not into modular, should get this book.. it's FANTASTIC.

However, if you're into modular - that 'should' changes to 'absolutely must'.

PATCH & TWEAK - Exploring Modular Synthesis
– BJOOKS
Old 5th January 2019
Gear Head

Chandler REDD!
Attached Thumbnails
January 2019 New Gear Thread-00000img_00000_burst20190103191631705_cover.jpg  
Old 6th January 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by spikysimon View Post
Picked up a Peak at last, been thinking about getting one for ages!

I've flicked through the presets and tested it out. Now just to update the firmware and wait for the official (ripoff!) stand to turn up so I can fit it in the proper spot on my desk.
Nice, how are you liking it?
Old 6th January 2019
Lives for gear

My birthday is coming up soon, so I decided I’d fill up most of my remaining modular space:

Old 6th January 2019
I bought a Blipblox.
Fun!
There, I confessed it.

Cheers,
Bert
Old 6th January 2019
It lives!!!

Not new but its been out of action for months...thought its third PCB board had gone, just loose connections

And not that exciting but a replacement floppy for my S1000

Old 6th January 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Music Bird View Post
Nice, how are you liking it?
Very early days, but so far I’m happy. Sounds great, build quality is good, update went smoothly, and i’m finding the UI simple (haven’t cracked open the manual yet, although as I get deeper I’m sure I will)
Old 7th January 2019
two months ago i got a matched pair of mk4 cardioid capsules, and now i have finally completed the stereo setup with pair of cmc6 preamp bodies.

mostly for recording nylon acoustic, violin, clarinet, basoon and possibly cello (haven't tried that in my space yet).

January 2019 New Gear Thread-img_0993.jpg

January 2019 New Gear Thread-img_0994.jpg
Attached Thumbnails
January 2019 New Gear Thread-img_0993.jpg   January 2019 New Gear Thread-img_0994.jpg  
Old 7th January 2019
Lives for gear
Architect Loomer

... which is basically Max x Live x Numerology x Renoise (soon with a tracker-like mode).

Stunningly intuitive and and already dead-stable, so inspiring.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search