The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
NEW: Korg Minilogue xd
Old 30th October 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobleSobel View Post
Hey Badmark,

Does this mean that the XD's sequencer & arpeggiator will respond to MIDI start/stop commands? I've been in a problem solving mode for too now long trying to find a combo of synths to chain to my drumbrute impact for arps/sequences.

Current chain is DBI (master) > Ultranova (or Microkorg sometimes) > Bass Station II.

I'd generally like to get an XD, but I need to get a synth that can receive start/stop. If it can do this it's a for sure buy!

Thanks,
Noble
Certainly should do. My (midi channel 11) chain is AS-1 -> model:samples -> Minilogue xd -> monologue

AS-1 has to go at top of chain cos it has midi-in sync issues.
Old 31st October 2020 | Show parent
Gear Nut

Hi guys quick ones:

- is the LATCH function only monophonic? or can it hold a chord since last update(s)?

- is it possible to change the sequence, IN TIME, at the end of the bar!?

I'm used to the Electribe, when you change the sequence it waits until the end of the bar. Everything is done perfectly in time. I understand this feature is missing on the XD. It seriously hinders the live playabitily of this synth, or not?

Apparently the sequencer maintains its position when you change sequences but there's an audible drop out for a moment. Can the XD really not handle that fast of sequence changes but something like the electribe can?
Old 4th November 2020 | Show parent
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by badmark View Post
Certainly should do. My (midi channel 11) chain is AS-1 -> model:samples -> Minilogue xd -> monologue

AS-1 has to go at top of chain cos it has midi-in sync issues.
Thank you! Yea I guess I'll give it a shot. So just to clarify, have you performed this task successfully yourself or do you speculate it would work in theory? To be clear that is, with Minilogue's arps/sequencer starting and stopping from MIDI clock from the Model? Not looking trigger any MIDI notes, just sync clock and start/stop.

Thanks again,
Noble
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by spnc View Post
Hi guys quick ones:

- is the LATCH function only monophonic? or can it hold a chord since last update(s)?

- is it possible to change the sequence, IN TIME, at the end of the bar!?

I'm used to the Electribe, when you change the sequence it waits until the end of the bar. Everything is done perfectly in time. I understand this feature is missing on the XD. It seriously hinders the live playabitily of this synth, or not?

Apparently the sequencer maintains its position when you change sequences but there's an audible drop out for a moment. Can the XD really not handle that fast of sequence changes but something like the electribe can?
If that's a necessity for you, the Model:Cycles would do that. I think all the synths w. sequencers I've got work the xd way. So you are constrained to proximate presets to switch in time. Which I don't mind. The 'drop-out' kinda depends on the programme. I can switch from presets 3 to 4 on both 'logues seamlessly, but going back the way is slightly less predictable. One way round the problem is just to drop out the last few steps of the previous sequence before switching to the next one.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobleSobel View Post
Thank you! Yea I guess I'll give it a shot. So just to clarify, have you performed this task successfully yourself or do you speculate it would work in theory? To be clear that is, with Minilogue's arps/sequencer starting and stopping from MIDI clock from the Model? Not looking trigger any MIDI notes, just sync clock and start/stop.

Thanks again,
Noble
Yes. Had a surprise hailstorm not killed my camera I would post video.
Old 4th November 2020
Gear Maniac

question - the display on mine has an annoying piece of dust underneath. would this be easy to get to / clean out ? any idea on how to go about doing this? (haven't tried messing with it yet)
Old 6th November 2020
Here for the gear

Hi there. Recently got the XD. Very fun synth! I have one issue though: When I connect my minilogue xd to logic using USB midi I get this weird issue when I want to record my minilogue sequences in logic. When I press record enable on an external midi instrument track, the minilogue wont play its sequence correctly. I just get some popping sounds. And the recorded midi notes seem to short to trigger the minilogues sequence. The weird thing is: when I dont arm a midi track press record...the midi gets recorded correctly..I found some people with the same issue but no solution...Is there some midi feedback happening? When I play the keyboard myself (instead of XD's sequencer) everything records just fine. The midi clock also seems to work just fine...any ideas?
Old 8th November 2020 | Show parent
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaaweez View Post
Hi there. Recently got the XD. Very fun synth! I have one issue though: When I connect my minilogue xd to logic using USB midi I get this weird issue when I want to record my minilogue sequences in logic. When I press record enable on an external midi instrument track, the minilogue wont play its sequence correctly. I just get some popping sounds. And the recorded midi notes seem to short to trigger the minilogues sequence. The weird thing is: when I dont arm a midi track press record...the midi gets recorded correctly..I found some people with the same issue but no solution...Is there some midi feedback happening? When I play the keyboard myself (instead of XD's sequencer) everything records just fine. The midi clock also seems to work just fine...any ideas?
Sounds like a feedback loop?
Old 16th November 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear
I find the XD can sound massive and diverse on it's own, but when I'm playing it live within a band context, it kinds of loses it's oomph, somehow. It's almost like there's only one timbre - which is this soft metallic vibe. Could be the result of various instruments competing for space in a room with bad acoustics, just wondering if anyone has experienced the same kind of thing.
Old 17th November 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by axs1 View Post
I find the XD can sound massive and diverse on it's own, but when I'm playing it live within a band context, it kinds of loses it's oomph, somehow. It's almost like there's only one timbre - which is this soft metallic vibe. Could be the result of various instruments competing for space in a room with bad acoustics, just wondering if anyone has experienced the same kind of thing.
Overdrive pedal. The 3 way rocker on the xd 'drive' is a lot less useful than the Monologue's knob. (Long-term band staple for me is the drive on a moogerfooger ring mod)
Lives for gear

Quote:
I don't have the XD (yet) but I can imagine that the sound does not fit all arrangements.
So it depends on the part and the arrangement.
For me an analog synth like the xd either determines the overal arrangement because you use it to it's strength or it's just a small part in it.
The XD shines in certain ways, that's it imo.
Maybe distorted guitars can be found in the same frequency area.
How well do the other bandmembers play together with a synth.
I think digital synths can be more versatile for playing in a band but I guess the XD is not your only synth in the band.
Lives for gear
Quote:
I find the XD can sound massive and diverse on it's own, but when I'm playing it live within a band context, it kinds of loses it's oomph, somehow.
Jack, the keyboard and synth demonstrator on the Andertons YouTube videos, talked about an octave or two he wasn't allowed to play in, when he plays with his band, because that range belongs to someone else. He said it as an explanation of why a three octave keyboard was perfectly good enough, for band use.

If you're playing a bass part, your harmonics are in someone else's territory too, e.g. electric guitars, so you probably hear more fundamental and less of the 2 pole filter's rich overtones that you're used to hearing when you play solo.

I suppose you could play through an EQ pedal, to cut overtones when you're playing low, to make more of a 4 pole filter sound, maybe with other pedals in between, to get a sound you're happier with, like distortion or overdrive, as badmark suggested.
Lives for gear
Thank you for the helpful responses! Makes sense what all of you are saying.
Lives for gear

When I still played synth in a trad band, we always had the synth going into a bass amp. Sounded to weird @ line level somehow
Old 23rd November 2020
Gear Maniac
sequencer question from new owner

Just got a Minilogue XD module and have a question. I have it connected to my computer/DAW (Mac and Cubase) via MIDI and on some patches (not all) the sequence stored with the patch doesn't play back correctly when I hot play on the XD if I have the external MIDI track armed or monitored. If I deselect the track, the sequence plays normally. I do not have the transport in Cubase running.

I think I ran across a discussion of this somewhere but searching doesn't find it again.

Thanks

EDIT: well I now see a post a couple weeks ago has the same issue - how embarrassing. Question still stands

Last edited by khollister; 23rd November 2020 at 02:48 AM..
Old 25th November 2020 | Show parent
Gear Head
Arp drifting noticeably out of sync after about 10 secs when clocked by an external clock...

Is this happening with anyone else??
Old 26th November 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

New multiengine from sinevibes - 4 OP FM!!

https://www.sinevibes.com/korgnode/

Node is a four-operator FM synthesis engine for KORG prologue, minilogue xd and NTS-1. It is based on a classic setup with four sine oscillators (operators), which are connected together via multiple different algorithms that let them apply frequency modulation onto one another. This plugin neatly packages a total of 24 such FM algorithms and allows to set operator frequency ratios within an extremely wide range, delivering nearly 90,000 possible combinations – and opening a whole universe of timbres, from timeless classic to edgy modern. Node’s engine runs 2x oversampled and employs a special filter to suppress unpleasant aliasing frequencies, enabling a much cleaner sound even in the higher octave range. Node also includes a very flexible built-in modulation generator that can be configured in a number of ways: exponential or linear envelopes, multi-waveform LFO, sample & hold, or random triangle. With this many features, Node is arguably the most user-configurable plugin available for KORG’s platform – yet it’s designed to be incredibly easy to use.

Had to cancel my Behr Wasp order as money is getting tight with all the upcoming Xmas shopping.. but just had to squeeze this one in, bought as soon as I read about it!
Old 26th November 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm2c View Post
New multiengine from sinevibes - 4 OP FM!!

https://www.sinevibes.com/korgnode/

Node is a four-operator FM synthesis engine for KORG prologue, minilogue xd and NTS-1. It is based on a classic setup with four sine oscillators (operators), which are connected together via multiple different algorithms that let them apply frequency modulation onto one another. This plugin neatly packages a total of 24 such FM algorithms and allows to set operator frequency ratios within an extremely wide range, delivering nearly 90,000 possible combinations – and opening a whole universe of timbres, from timeless classic to edgy modern. Node’s engine runs 2x oversampled and employs a special filter to suppress unpleasant aliasing frequencies, enabling a much cleaner sound even in the higher octave range. Node also includes a very flexible built-in modulation generator that can be configured in a number of ways: exponential or linear envelopes, multi-waveform LFO, sample & hold, or random triangle. With this many features, Node is arguably the most user-configurable plugin available for KORG’s platform – yet it’s designed to be incredibly easy to use.

Had to cancel my Behr Wasp order as money is getting tight with all the upcoming Xmas shopping.. but just had to squeeze this one in, bought as soon as I read about it!
I've been waiting for my download link! :0)

Btw, Oleg is working on his DX7 oscillator. It uses DX7 'ROM programs' to program SIX operator sounds. Really wicked stuff!
Old 27th November 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyWriter View Post
I've been waiting for my download link! :0)

Btw, Oleg is working on his DX7 oscillator. It uses DX7 'ROM programs' to program SIX operator sounds. Really wicked stuff!
I know, I've been reading about the devving process in the logue dev thread. There's always room for more multiengine algos I say

BTW, just noticed you've done some devving work of your own with the MI code.. are your ports "completed"? Need to check em out.. I love MI multioscs so much that I even bought a licence for Softube modular just to get an "oficcially endorsed" Braids emulation to my DAW (And MI Clouds plugin is on sale right now.... tempted)
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm2c View Post
I know, I've been reading about the devving process in the logue dev thread. There's always room for more multiengine algos I say

BTW, just noticed you've done some devving work of your own with the MI code.. are your ports "completed"? Need to check em out.. I love MI multioscs so much that I even bought a licence for Softube modular just to get an "oficcially endorsed" Braids emulation to my DAW (And MI Clouds plugin is on sale right now.... tempted)
Yeah. My mods introduce Envelopes and Key Tracking. The M3 series is finished - I have a hidden set with faster envelop timing and some tweak I use for myself. I've been distracted by the eurorack System 55 and Poly D modifications I've done. Then back to Prologue for the next set of modulations.

I just love the sound of her code. :-) especially on Prologue, it's dreamy to have polyphonic Plaits.

Attached is the manpage for the M3 series.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf M3 Collection.pdf (178.9 KB, 23 views)
Gear Maniac
happy Black Friday Minilogue lovers
Want to share the information, that i'm finishing 40% Off deals for my Minilogue XD patches in December 1st.
So if someone interested to get it with a great deal, it's a good time

Here is it

Old 5th December 2020 | Show parent
Here for the gear

Has anyone experienced the following issue?

- Select a patch
- Clear any motion or notes
- hit play, hit record, play some notes (live recording)
- save
- move to another patch
- do the same for 6, 7 patches or more
- eventually, the XD stops recording note inputs from the keys (live recording)
- when this happens, you can still hear the metronome after hitting play -> record but it stops recording live notes from the keys. You can still enter step recording though.

So far it has only happened once, but just curious if anyone has ever experienced this.
Old 7th December 2020
Lives for gear
No more support for Windows 7 - for any Korg product :(

Here are the PC and Mac compatibility charts for KORG products.
*Please note that we have discontinued our support for any products not listed in these charts.

https://www.korg.com/us/support/os/

No new Korg synths for me, for a while, then.

Also, Minilogue XD support for Windows 10 just says "under examination".
Old 8th December 2020 | Show parent
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by khollister View Post
Just got a Minilogue XD module and have a question. I have it connected to my computer/DAW (Mac and Cubase) via MIDI and on some patches (not all) the sequence stored with the patch doesn't play back correctly when I hot play on the XD if I have the external MIDI track armed or monitored. If I deselect the track, the sequence plays normally. I do not have the transport in Cubase running.

I think I ran across a discussion of this somewhere but searching doesn't find it again.

Thanks

EDIT: well I now see a post a couple weeks ago has the same issue - how embarrassing. Question still stands
Hi, did you find any solution?
I just got mine and it’s useless. Arpeggio is in sync but as soon as I move some parameters. For an example when I move the cutoff filter it just glitches and goes out of sync. I did update to the lates 2.10 but no luck.
Ben
Here for the gear

It’s happening to me as soon as I touch any of the parameters. I don’t know what could be the problem.
Ben
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyHornBlower View Post
No more support for Windows 7 - for any Korg product :(

Here are the PC and Mac compatibility charts for KORG products.
*Please note that we have discontinued our support for any products not listed in these charts.

https://www.korg.com/us/support/os/

No new Korg synths for me, for a while, then.

Also, Minilogue XD support for Windows 10 just says "under examination".
Microsoft don't support W7 either...?

https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/wind...rt-information

Not saying Korg are perfect but I 100% understand them not supporting it.
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by lost_the_peace View Post
Microsoft don't support W7 either...?

https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/wind...rt-information

Not saying Korg are perfect but I 100% understand them not supporting it.
Yes, I'm aware that Microsoft no longer support Windows 7. Microsoft weren't in any danger of selling me a new synthesizer though, whereas Korg were.

Windows 7 is still a big share of the market - much larger than the share represented by OSX, or Windows 8.1, both of which they still support.

Korg actually still offer the same downloads that I used when I bought my XD, earlier this year, in their archive of old versions, but they no longer identify them as suitable for Windows 7, which just seems self destructive. It will, without doubt, put some people off buying one, for no adequately explored reason.

They don't currently support the XD under Windows 10 either, based on that chart - not one version is guaranteed to work. They're all "under examination".

So, I suggest you all rush out and get a copy of Windows 8.1, if you want support, at the moment. Hardly anyone ever did, so there must be lots of cheap licenses left for that
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBGMusic View Post
It’s happening to me as soon as I touch any of the parameters. I don’t know what could be the problem.
Ben
Try only plugging into the XD's MIDI In and see if it still does this; sounds like MIDI feedback.
Here for the gear

I’ll try, thanks. I have the usb connected right now.
I also have one more question you might know
The sequencer doesn’t stop on transport stop in Cubase. It just changes the tempo back to internal clock and keeps going. Is that how is supposed to be?
Old 9th December 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

My planned synth rig for 2021 includes another pairing...

PolyBrute + Mini XD Mod x 2 =

This could be my first 4+4 !

I've previously posted that I'm not a big fan of 4-voice poly synths, but, this pairing would actually be setup in polychain mode, so it would be an 8-voice Minilogue XD synth and not a bi-timbral 4+4, although the latter could end up being very fun too.
Attached Thumbnails
NEW: Korg Minilogue xd-polybrute-mini-xd-mod-x2.png  
📝 Reply