The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
NEW: Korg Minilogue xd
Old 1 day ago
  #1681
Lives for gear
 
SkyWriter's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by glocke12 View Post
I just got one of these this week. I've got a fairly strong musical background as a bass player, but never really developed strong KB/Piano skills other than knowing what the notes are, being able to play scales and some basic chord shapes.

I gotta admit though, this thing is a blast and with the presets Im able to create some prettier interesting textures and even things that sound musical.

That said, being new to synths in general there is a steep learning curve as I try to dig into all this. Youtube helps, but some things I find kind of befuddling at times. I guess the more i study this and sit with the instrument more will become clear.
I bought and sold the XD as a low cost way to evaluate a Prologue 16 purchase. I was so impressed with the XD, I didn’t even get to half the goodies it had before I traded up. The motion sequencing was a total surprise after I sold it. Heh! Glad I have the 16 though, it’s just what I wanted.
Old 1 day ago
  #1682
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by glocke12 View Post
I just got one of these this week. I've got a fairly strong musical background as a bass player, but never really developed strong KB/Piano skills other than knowing what the notes are, being able to play scales and some basic chord shapes.

I gotta admit though, this thing is a blast and with the presets Im able to create some prettier interesting textures and even things that sound musical.

That said, being new to synths in general there is a steep learning curve as I try to dig into all this. Youtube helps, but some things I find kind of befuddling at times. I guess the more i study this and sit with the instrument more will become clear.
Gratz from a fellow bass player!

The Minilogue XD actually is a good learner's synth. Here's a couple synth-related tips:

1) Press SHIFT + WRITE to go into Panel Mode. Now what you see is what you get (WYSIWYG). Meaning what the physical knobs show is the current value of that parameter. Nice to see at a glance what the values are for Attack Decay Sustain Release, for example.

2) All but 3 knobs have minimum value at fully counterclockwise. The exceptions are VCO1 and VCO2 pitch, where noon is zero. The EG Int(ensity) is also zero at noon. The vast majority of use cases you will want the EG Int to be positive (clockwise from noon).

Welcome to synth land!
Old 1 day ago
  #1683
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyWriter View Post
I was so impressed with the XD, I didn’t even get to half the goodies it had before I traded up.
My favourite feature so far is the keybed. I prefer mini keys and I basically play synths like an electric guitar - mostly monophonically with a few two note chords, or octave intervals thrown in. Full sized keys make me feel like I've been shrunk.

Before the XD, my favourite mini keys were the Yamaha Reface series, then my old Yamaha CBX-K1, which is similar but with shorter keys, so the action isn't quite as good.

The problem with the Yamaha mini keys is that my fingers tend to slide off the black keys, because they have slightly rounded tops and a very smooth surface with low friction.

The flat tops of the Minilogue XD black keys, and the matt surface, works a lot better for me. They're just slightly wider than the Reface keys but that probably makes playing chords with black keys a little easier.
Old 1 day ago
  #1684
Lives for gear
I have an odd habit of making a picture of the back of a synth, as a mirror image.

The reason is, if I'm playing in front of my PC, it's easier to refer to that to see where the main cables go. Having it reversed means the cable goes on the same side as on the image - in this case, headphones on the left, and power cable on the right.

It's marked on the top of the XD, but it's not all that clear, especially in dim lighting, so I've made one anyway.

NEW: Korg Minilogue xd-korg_minilogue_xd_back-rev.jpg
Attached Thumbnails
NEW: Korg Minilogue xd-korg_minilogue_xd_back-rev.jpg  
Old 1 day ago
  #1685
Lives for gear
 
SkyWriter's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyHornBlower View Post
My favourite feature so far is the keybed. I prefer mini keys and I basically play synths like an electric guitar - mostly monophonically with a few two note chords, or octave intervals thrown in. Full sized keys make me feel like I've been shrunk.

Before the XD, my favourite mini keys were the Yamaha Reface series, then my old Yamaha CBX-K1, which is similar but with shorter keys, so the action isn't quite as good.

The problem with the Yamaha mini keys is that my fingers tend to slide off the black keys, because they have slightly rounded tops and a very smooth surface with low friction.

The flat tops of the Minilogue XD black keys, and the matt surface, works a lot better for me. They're just slightly wider than the Reface keys but that probably makes playing chords with black keys a little easier.
I too love Reface mini-keys. Of all the mini-keys I have, those are the best. I would love a key stand that would hold all four closely. I don't want to hack them up though. Can you compare the XD to the MS-20m, or the Korg Odyssey? I liked the Odyssey, but not the MS-20m so much. I would probably have gone mini-key on this except the sequencer - don't use/need it - and the 5 octaves and 16 voices were compelling. It's a beautiful sounding VCO design even before you get to the user oscillator. Which was it's main selling point for me - hearing Sinevibes and Shoebridge's Oscillators - so I bought the top of the range as the primary keyboard for 2020!
Old 1 day ago
  #1686
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyWriter View Post
Can you compare the XD to the MS-20m, or the Korg Odyssey? I liked the Odyssey, but not the MS-20m so much.
Sadly, no. I tried the Korg Oddy in a shop, and I liked the keyboard, but I decided to buy the module instead, figuring I already have mini keyboards, and that one didn't do velocity - which I can add externally, with the module.

The keyboard version doesn't respond to MIDI pitch bend either, which the module does. Worst of all, it weighs about as much as my DeepMind 6, which makes it too heavy to play comfortably on my lap, which is how I normally play synths.

I looked at the Korg MS-20 Mini in the same shop, but didn't ask to try it. That keyboard didn't look as good. I wonder if it's like the Korg microKORG keybed - which is the same as my Korg MicroKontrol 37, apparently - that's truly awful to play with a velocity response. The black keys always play far louder than the white keys, because it's next to impossible to match the velocity.

I do have one five octave mini MIDI keyboard, but there's no velocity sent by it - it's a Yamaha PSS-680. I've used that with my Behringer Model D module, to play in the traditional manner, without velocity, but I'd still prefer the option of at least using it to control the filter cut off or the envelope amounts.
Old 1 day ago
  #1687
Lives for gear
 
SkyWriter's Avatar
I have a microkorg xl, and a korg microstation, and a korg microkey air 61. And those are all the short korg minikey style. The ms-20m are longer, taller more square on top and, yes matte, perfect description of what I remember. I found the odyssey similar to the ms-20m, but just a tad more playable. That could just have been the synth itself. The reface have an entirely different feel for me. Very playable. All the other feel like I'm playing with ten thumbs, or with my first knuckles all removed. Well I guess it's academic at this point.
Old 1 day ago
  #1688
Here for the gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by psionic11 View Post
Gratz from a fellow bass player!

The Minilogue XD actually is a good learner's synth. Here's a couple synth-related tips:

1) Press SHIFT + WRITE to go into Panel Mode. Now what you see is what you get (WYSIWYG). Meaning what the physical knobs show is the current value of that parameter. Nice to see at a glance what the values are for Attack Decay Sustain Release, for example.

2) All but 3 knobs have minimum value at fully counterclockwise. The exceptions are VCO1 and VCO2 pitch, where noon is zero. The EG Int(ensity) is also zero at noon. The vast majority of use cases you will want the EG Int to be positive (clockwise from noon).

Welcome to synth land!

Thanks..I was watching one of the youtube videos (Loopop i think it is) and he used Shift + something else to get into the panel mode...took me awhile to realize the new firmware was changed to shift/write

Still trying to figure out what the different modes actually mean...For example poly mode is obvious, but unison is less obvious, as is duo mode when you are in poly mode...
Old 1 day ago
  #1689
Lives for gear
 
SkyWriter's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyHornBlower View Post
I have an odd habit of making a picture of the back of a synth, as a mirror image.

The reason is, if I'm playing in front of my PC, it's easier to refer to that to see where the main cables go. Having it reversed means the cable goes on the same side as on the image - in this case, headphones on the left, and power cable on the right.

It's marked on the top of the XD, but it's not all that clear, especially in dim lighting, so I've made one anyway.

Great idea. It's the simple things folks never think of, that are awesome. Who needs conspiracy theories.
Old 1 day ago
  #1690
Lives for gear
 
Synthpark's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by psionic11 View Post
Ouch, the synth gods seem to be frustrating your attempts with the 'logues.

Perhaps a sacrifice or tribute is in order ...
I got a replacement unit. I have to admit that the XD sounds better than my Prologue (currently send for repair). It has a special mojo and sounds cleaner. There is no clipping distortion in the filter when increasing resonance. Somehow it can sound more vintage.
Old 1 day ago
  #1691
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyWriter View Post
Great idea. It's the simple things folks never think of, that are awesome. Who needs conspiracy theories.
Thanks

I've decided to make another one, with the other 1/4" jacks labelled too.

NEW: Korg Minilogue xd-korg_minilogue_xd_back-rev2.jpg
Attached Thumbnails
NEW: Korg Minilogue xd-korg_minilogue_xd_back-rev2.jpg  
Old 1 day ago
  #1692
Lives for gear
 
lost_the_peace's Avatar
 

I've foobar'd my mks-70 (chip blown in a mod board), while I'm awaiting some bits, and feeling sorry for myself.. I need a poly. Couldn't resist ordering an XD-PW!

I must admit I'm concerned about this led noise issue thing, but the PW is a newer build so maybe it's ok..

I hope it's fine.. I ragged the sh1t out of that motion sequencer on my monologue, miss it dearly!! With cv/sync this will be a monster l!
Old 1 day ago
  #1693
Here for the gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lost_the_peace View Post
I've foobar'd my mks-70 (chip blown in a mod board), while I'm awaiting some bits, and feeling sorry for myself.. I need a poly. Couldn't resist ordering an XD-PW!

I must admit I'm concerned about this led issue thing, but the PW is a newer build so maybe it's ok..

I hope it's fine.. I ragged the sh1t out of that motion sequencer on my monologue, miss it dearly!! With cv/sync this will be a monster l!


LED issue?
Old 1 day ago
  #1694
Lives for gear
 
lost_the_peace's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by glocke12 View Post
LED issue?
The LED noise issue others have reported on certain patches (unknown if it affects all units)
Old 1 day ago
  #1695
Gear Maniac
 

It probably does; I've successfully replicated it using the steps outlined a few pages back, but with proper gain staging I don't notice anything at all, even with loud volumes. I can tell you for a fact that Korg seem to have struggled with this for a while, since my ES-1 would drop into an actual usable distortion effect with the Part Mute button held down (which illuminates all the Part LEDs).
Old 23 hours ago
  #1696
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by glocke12 View Post
Thanks..I was watching one of the youtube videos (Loopop i think it is) and he used Shift + something else to get into the panel mode...took me awhile to realize the new firmware was changed to shift/write

Still trying to figure out what the different modes actually mean...For example poly mode is obvious, but unison is less obvious, as is duo mode when you are in poly mode...
Duo mode stacks 2 voices and detunes them, so on the XD it basically cuts your polyphony down from 4 to only 2 voices.

Unison stacks all 4 voices into one mono synth.

But also notice that Chord mode's first option is mono. The converts the XD into a monosynth, but only plays one single voice, without detune.

The Arp modes should be fairly self-evident -- play and hold a chord, then it will arpeggiate that chord automatically. Manual mode simply remembers the order you pressed the keys, so you have some control over the way you want the arpeggiation to happen. The Poly modes here simply play the whole block chord rythymically... Poly 1 in 8th notes, Poly 2 every other 8th note.

Press the Arp lever down one more time to automatically hold the arp for you... so you can take your hands off the keys and start jamming along with your bass guitar...

Old 22 hours ago
  #1697
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synthpark View Post
I got a replacement unit. I have to admit that the XD sounds better than my Prologue (currently send for repair). It has a special mojo and sounds cleaner. There is no clipping distortion in the filter when increasing resonance. Somehow it can sound more vintage.
This is just speculation, but it seems no coincidence to me that the XD having no clipping distortion with increased resonance, as compared to the Prologue. Seems like they have slightly tweaked the gain staging, which might also affect the low end. Ah well, I've adjusted to it. Since I'm running a module through my Kronos, I just tacked on a multiband compressor to the audio IN, and bumped up 240Hz by 10dB.

The XD does have a nice live rawness to it.
Old 16 hours ago
  #1698
Lives for gear
 
goldphinga's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synthpark View Post
I got a replacement unit. I have to admit that the XD sounds better than my Prologue (currently send for repair). It has a special mojo and sounds cleaner. There is no clipping distortion in the filter when increasing resonance. Somehow it can sound more vintage.
I would disagree there. ( just my opinion). The thing I love about the Prologue most is the way the filter gets all thick and gooey (the resonance control is like a whole world in itself with a huge number of sweet spots) and the ensuing dirt produced- it’s the only other synth in my collection that has that textured vibe like my MemoryMoog when you push the mixer and filter staging. XD is more precise in its core tone and less vintage to my ears. I love both though! Depends what model Prologue too- the LF compressor on the 16 really changes up the tone in the low mids, adding to the weight and thickness of the sounds. BTW what’s wrong with your Prologue?
Old 15 hours ago
  #1699
Gear Nut
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synthpark View Post
I got a replacement unit. I have to admit that the XD sounds better than my Prologue (currently send for repair). It has a special mojo and sounds cleaner. There is no clipping distortion in the filter when increasing resonance. Somehow it can sound more vintage.
I have the Minilogue XD and I don't like the sound,for me it lacks low end and hi mids,the sound isn't very dynamic.Though I find its filter interesting,its oscillator architecture too.

Doesn't the Prologue sounds "fuller" in comparison to the Minilogue XD (cf. what I miss on the Minilogue XD) ?
I've read ome reviews arguing the Prologue sounds more "professional", than the Minilogue standard,but no mention about the XD.
Old 11 hours ago
  #1700
Here for the gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by psionic11 View Post
Duo mode stacks 2 voices and detunes them, so on the XD it basically cuts your polyphony down from 4 to only 2 voices.

Unison stacks all 4 voices into one mono synth.

But also notice that Chord mode's first option is mono. The converts the XD into a monosynth, but only plays one single voice, without detune.

The Arp modes should be fairly self-evident -- play and hold a chord, then it will arpeggiate that chord automatically. Manual mode simply remembers the order you pressed the keys, so you have some control over the way you want the arpeggiation to happen. The Poly modes here simply play the whole block chord rythymically... Poly 1 in 8th notes, Poly 2 every other 8th note.

Press the Arp lever down one more time to automatically hold the arp for you... so you can take your hands off the keys and start jamming along with your bass guitar...


Thanks...

Somewhat clearer but I am still trying to wrap my head around this, I think I need it dumbed down a little bit.

In Duo mode, if I play C major chord what exactly is going on? It sounds like all four notes are still being played...

In Unison mode, if I play C3, its obvious it that it sounds fatter/louder in unison mode than poly mode, same for C6...but it's not exactly clear to me what is going on to make that happen. I know it's voice stacking, but I guess it's just not obvious to me what the means in the synth world..
Old 11 hours ago
  #1701
Lives for gear
 
Synthpark's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldphinga View Post
I would disagree there. ( just my opinion). The thing I love about the Prologue most is the way the filter gets all thick and gooey (the resonance control is like a whole world in itself with a huge number of sweet spots) and the ensuing dirt produced- it’s the only other synth in my collection that has that textured vibe like my MemoryMoog when you push the mixer and filter staging. XD is more precise in its core tone and less vintage to my ears. I love both though! Depends what model Prologue too- the LF compressor on the 16 really changes up the tone in the low mids, adding to the weight and thickness of the sounds. BTW what’s wrong with your Prologue?
I had a stand which crashed. The volume knob is loose. Maybe it became more noisy? I dont know.
Old 11 hours ago
  #1702
Lives for gear
 
Synthpark's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenLadder View Post
I have the Minilogue XD and I don't like the sound,for me it lacks low end and hi mids,the sound isn't very dynamic.Though I find its filter interesting,its oscillator architecture too.

Doesn't the Prologue sounds "fuller" in comparison to the Minilogue XD (cf. what I miss on the Minilogue XD) ?
I've read ome reviews arguing the Prologue sounds more "professional", than the Minilogue standard,but no mention about the XD.
You could say the same about the Prologue. Based on some demos it lacks low end, but I don't think it does. You can always add the third oscillator in the sub range, just a sine, and you are fine. Maybe individual units have slightly different character.

It is really that trivial: Ob6/P6 have a sub osc. I adds weight. You want weight? Add the third (digital) oscillator.

Last edited by Synthpark; 10 hours ago at 01:48 PM..
Old 10 hours ago
  #1703
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by glocke12 View Post
Thanks...

Somewhat clearer but I am still trying to wrap my head around this, I think I need it dumbed down a little bit.

In Duo mode, if I play C major chord what exactly is going on? It sounds like all four notes are still being played...

In Unison mode, if I play C3, its obvious it that it sounds fatter/louder in unison mode than poly mode, same for C6...but it's not exactly clear to me what is going on to make that happen. I know it's voice stacking, but I guess it's just not obvious to me what the means in the synth world..
Apologies, I could've swore that Duo mode reduced polyphony down to 2 voices (and so I never use it), but I just double checked it.... it still has all 4 voices available! (It must use some internal method to fatten up each voice).

Here's some synth terms defined.

An oscillator is an individual sound generating unit. The Minilogue XD has two voltage-controlled oscillators, like its cousin the regular Minilogue. But there is also a digital oscillator (the multi-engine).

A "voice" has up to 3 oscillators on the XD: two VCOs and the one digital Osc.

Polyphony refers to the voice count of the synth: The Prologue 16 has sixteen, the Prologue 8 has eight, and the Minilogue XD has 4.

A monosynth has only one voice. The classic Minimoog Model D has one only one voice, which is composed of 3 oscillators.

What unison mode on the XD does is force all voices to play onto one voice. What were separate voices becomes one sound (unison). When a choir sings in harmony with chords, it is singing polyphonically. When everyone sings the same notes without using harmony, like when singing Happy Birthday, they are singing in unison.

Hopefully that made things click.
Old 10 hours ago
  #1704
Lives for gear
 
SkyWriter's Avatar
Here's the relevant manual page. It says 'stacked voices', and I can hear the the difference in unison sounding. But I can't hear a voice drop that would indicate it.

Do they just run another pointer through the dgital buffer, offset by phase and freq, like digital super-sawing? What about VCO?

They really don't explain it. :-(

One thing I notice though is, it only makes a difference before a note hit. Once the note in in play, the knob doesn't effect it in poly mode.
Attached Thumbnails
NEW: Korg Minilogue xd-144f9bee-ed47-4c7a-bce6-3b53101ef174.jpg  
Old 9 hours ago
  #1705
Lives for gear
What the, now my Minilogue is mind-tripping me. Duo mode is indeed restricted to 2 voices.

Earlier I had not turned on the studio yet, so used the XD's in-built LED keyboard function, and *thought* I heard 4 voices in Duo mode. Not so.

And it seems there is another difference from the Prologues... on the XD there is no dedicated Mono voice mode, as "mono" is only the first option in the Chord mode. And you only get one single sounding oscillator -- no detuning. Further, XD mono mode doesn't have sub oscillators.

Green apples and red apples.
Old 8 hours ago
  #1706
Lives for gear
 
Synthpark's Avatar
I have to complain ab out the digital side of the XD. It seems that the update rate for rotations is lower than on the Prologue. For example, if I change time for the delay, it is not as smooth as I remember being for the Prologue. Cannot compare currently. Also the Shape mod from the LFO on the VPM engine is sonding crazy, way too much effect for little "int"ensity . Only a little bit is sounding ok.
Old 5 hours ago
  #1707
Gear Nut
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by psionic11 View Post
What the, now my Minilogue is mind-tripping me. Duo mode is indeed restricted to 2 voices.

Earlier I had not turned on the studio yet, so used the XD's in-built LED keyboard function, and *thought* I heard 4 voices in Duo mode. Not so.

And it seems there is another difference from the Prologues... on the XD there is no dedicated Mono voice mode, as "mono" is only the first option in the Chord mode. And you only get one single sounding oscillator -- no detuning. Further, XD mono mode doesn't have sub oscillators.

Green apples and red apples.
On the Minilogue XD duo mode plays 2 voices at once,and you can only play 2 notes max (with each note=4VCOs+2digital oscillators) because it has just 4 voices...
I don't get you,in mono mode the XD is like any other mono synth,you only have 1 voice that plays the 2 VCOs and the digital oscillator.On my XD I can detune the 2 VCOs in mono mode.But it doesn't have any suboscillator of course!
Where did you read that the XD has a suboscillator??
Old 5 hours ago
  #1708
Here for the gear
 

Long time lurker, first time poster

Couldn't the digital osc act as a sub osc?
Old 5 hours ago
  #1709
Gear Nut
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by IlSalentino View Post
Long time lurker, first time poster

Couldn't the digital osc act as a sub osc?
Yes it can be tuned on 2',4',8',16' independantly from the 2 VCOs.But it isn't a suboscillator,it is just a third digital oscillator.
Old 2 hours ago
  #1710
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenLadder View Post
I don't get you,in mono mode the XD is like any other mono synth,you only have 1 voice that plays the 2 VCOs and the digital oscillator.On my XD I can detune the 2 VCOs in mono mode.But it doesn't have any suboscillator of course!
Where did you read that the XD has a suboscillator??
Sorry, wasn't being clear. The Mono mode itself doesn't have a built-in detuning function, like the Poly, Duo, and Unison modes do. Naturally, the oscillators themselves can be tuned as you like.

In Skywriter's last post he attached a pic from the Prologue manual, which apparently has sub oscillators in its dedicated Mono mode.
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump