The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Synths for sale     Latest  Trending
NEW: Korg Minilogue xd
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Maniac
I really love the sound of the demo’s I’ve heard so far. I’m getting rid of my Microbrute - selling it for a symbolic price to my young cousins - after years of not getting on with it, as I only want to keep the stuff that I’m truly in love with. And though I don’t need to replace it, this does create space for a new synth.

I already own an Alpha Juno 2, Behringer Model D, Access Virus B, Waldorf Blofeld, Analog Rytm and some soft synths. At first I wanted to replace the Microbrute with the Microfreak, as an extra flavour of weirdness next to the Blofeld (the Virus can also do weird, but its tone doesn’t feel right for it to me). Now I’ve fallen completely in love with the Minilogue XD, a great sounding, forward thinking modern hybrid.

Just wondering whether or not my gearlust is clouding my judgment a bit. Is it truly an addition to the flavours I have access to, or is it too much in the same ballpark as my other synths i.e. do I love it for what I love in what I already have?

Maybe I’m the only one who can answer that question, but sharing my doubts might help I did feel very tempted to buy a Monologue before, there’s something about its sound that really resonates with me as well.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Head

XD release here pushed back to beginning of September...
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mecanek View Post
[...]
Just wondering whether or not my gearlust is clouding my judgment a bit. Is it truly an addition to the flavours I have access to, or is it too much in the same ballpark as my other synths i.e. do I love it for what I love in what I already have?
[...]
Looking good to me. You seem doubtlessly in love with the fundamental sound, and the features/style of synth differs from what you already have, so I would't worry about overlap, and you already have an idea of what you'll be using it for (do weird stuff). Useful and enjoyable, those are good signs.

If you already can say where and when you'll be using it in wtv it is that you do then that's a clear go for me.
Old 2 weeks ago
Kja
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikt156 View Post
I really like Tim Shoebridge, as well as Geosynth. If you want the best reviews of products its NICK BATT at Sonic for me. His youtube videos are excellent.

That said, I must admit that its very interesting to watch and listen to guys like Tim creating new Osc and how he goes about doing it. I was never much of a technical "how too" kinda guy. I much prefer working with the sounds a synth has, edit to suit my taste and PLAY.

We can spend more time tinkering and programming than playing music. I need to practice as much as I can to keep my chops up. Otherwise......

A heat wave in the US the last couple of days.........Over 90 degrees the last few days, real feel over 100. NOT COOL!

Mike T.
Try loving in North Florida! It has been like that the past three months.. some days real feel can be around 120+ degrees. Summer here will KILL you if you are outside for too long..lol
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToyBox View Post
Looking good to me. You seem doubtlessly in love with the fundamental sound, and the features/style of synth differs from what you already have, so I would't worry about overlap, and you already have an idea of what you'll be using it for (do weird stuff). Useful and enjoyable, those are good signs.

If you already can say where and when you'll be using it in wtv it is that you do then that's a clear go for me.
Thanks. I think that for really weird stuff, the microfreak might be a better choice, as it seems to have more flexible modulation options. But the XD’s sound appeals much more to me - also for more conventional sounds - and, coupled with its sequencer, allows for much more complex stuff than my other analogues do.
Old 2 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mecanek View Post
Thanks. I think that for really weird stuff, the microfreak might be a better choice, as it seems to have more flexible modulation options. But the XD’s sound appeals much more to me - also for more conventional sounds - and, coupled with its sequencer, allows for much more complex stuff than my other analogues do.
I agree with ToyBox. If you like the fundamental sound then you should go for it. It’s also great bang for the buck IMHO.

The microfreak looks fun but I like the basic sound of the XD better, so I’m much more tempted to go for it. However I’m saving up for a Matriarch first.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Addict
Mecanek

You have a nice collection of synths. That said, the Minilogue XD is a quality synth with its own sound and at a great price. $649 for that synth is an aggressive price point. I have a feeling that Korg can't make them fast enough. If you want to embellish your sound palette without breaking the bank, go for it!

Mike T.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Maniac
Well that’s settled then, if you all say so I’d better save up for that XD
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

Finally got my Minilogue XD in.

It’s a lot of fun. Sounds great. Those presets man. Very good. Gonna take awhile to figure oht this synth in whole, but so far, it’s very immediate and fun. Well built, not heavy but not light. Those slim keys are of pretty good quality. I know it’s a bit pricey in comparison, but this synth may be looked at in the same favourable light as the Microkorg down the road.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict
It looks like I will go with an XD, that is as soon as I'm gainfully employed again. I've been weighing the options of a number of synths the past few months, I was interested in a Peak, and then along comes the Summit. I would LOVE to own that synth. That synth sounds different than all the other synths I own so it wouldn't be a duplication. But I have to face the facts, at my ripe old age, even if I had the money, I couldn't justify it. $1999.00 is really a bargain for that synth, but its out of reach for me.

I was considering the Korg Prologue 8, but there have been too many problems with firmware updates and some system boards getting fried. I'll pass.

I do believe I could make good use of the XD in my music room, it would add some new sounds, I can put it along side my Yamaha Motif ES8 without having to move every else around. I can take one of the X stands out of my storage building and pop it right on there, plug it in, and PLAY.

I hate being practical, but I have to live within my meager means.

Mike T.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

i love my monologue and have been thinking of "upgrading" it to a minilogue xd. could the xd replace my monologue ? or would i miss out on any sound/features from selling my monologue to fund it ? i know the external audio jack is gone which stinks but if everything else is a straight upgrade then i'll do it
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by wentzelitis View Post
i love my monologue and have been thinking of "upgrading" it to a minilogue xd. could the xd replace my monologue ? or would i miss out on any sound/features from selling my monologue to fund it ? i know the external audio jack is gone which stinks but if everything else is a straight upgrade then i'll do it
The XD also does not have the same drive/distortion effect, no high speed LFO, and its sequencer can't be key triggered. I believe the monologue's filter is a bit more aggressive too, in any case it's not a straight upgrade.

While the external input and transposable sequencer are big losses I think you gain more than you lose in the end, just don't expect it to be a bigger monologue.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
The XD also does not have the same drive/distortion effect, no high speed LFO, and its sequencer can't be key triggered. I believe the monologue's filter is a bit more aggressive too, in any case it's not a straight upgrade.

While the external input and transposable sequencer are big losses I think you gain more than you lose in the end, just don't expect it to be a bigger monologue.
great thanks so much for the helpful quick reply! i definitely won't get rid of my monologue, then. the super fast lfo and key triggered sequencer are some of my fav features on top of the external input. i thought the filter and drive were the same but that's less of an issue. either way it looks like i'll have to keep just the monologue or own both
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by flat View Post
Have been listening to the XD demos and beginning to like this little synth very much. Only thing is, the Phaser sounds really weak (almost as if it isn't working properly). Can anyone who owns one verify if its any good and I have just chanced upon bad demos?
Don't rely upon on-board effects for Keyboards, especially relatively inexpensive synths. Even some mid range priced synths like the Sequential REV 2 has cheesy reverb, never mind a good Flanger.

Do yourself a favor, invest in a Digitech Nautila Chorus/Flanger pedal. Its stereo. That pedal is MADE for KB Players. Its not a across over FX unit made for guitar players that want LOUD and Dirty. We want professional Chorus and Flanger in the convenience of a small pedal we can keep close by. Its not cheap, $169.00, but it's not Eventide money. Authorized EBAY dealers cut the price on new ones to less than $120.00 and FREE shipping. Its the best Chorus/Flange unit on the market in a floor pedal. Search youtube for demos and hear for yourself! Here's one from Sweetwater:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DGcmuI8yjbQ

Mike T.
Old 6 days ago
Gear Head

Don’t know if I’m sold on the sound yet tbh. It takes a few months for me to appreciate and understand a synth, but the XD has no immediacy with my ears outside of the presets (a lot of which sound absolutely fantastic).

Trying to make patches on this thing, but I’m not liking what I’ve come up with so far. But that’s just me and the workflow that I’m used to. The kind of music that I’m making also probably isn’t the XD’s strong point, but I do stress that it’s probably the coolest synth of the year.
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deviljho View Post
Don’t know if I’m sold on the sound yet tbh. It takes a few months for me to appreciate and understand a synth, but the XD has no immediacy with my ears outside of the presets (a lot of which sound absolutely fantastic).

Trying to make patches on this thing, but I’m not liking what I’ve come up with so far. But that’s just me and the workflow that I’m used to. The kind of music that I’m making also probably isn’t the XD’s strong point, but I do stress that it’s probably the coolest synth of the year.
Out of curiosity, what type of sounds are you trying to create? What type of music?
Old 6 days ago
Gear Addict
Quote:

Here's the best "How too" video I found on the Minilogue on youtube. It covers the capabilities of the front panel controls as well as some of the advanced features of the synth. Take the time to check this out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jk_0iMXm5BU&t=2218s

Mike T.
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
its sequencer can't be key triggered.
WTF
Aw, hell no then.
Old 6 days ago
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by asynchro_nous View Post
WTF
Aw, hell no then.
You don't need an excuse not to buy a synth, its your money, if you have any.

Mike T.
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
You don't need an excuse not to buy a synth, its your money, if you have any.

Mike T.
Huh? What is that supposed to mean?
Old 6 days ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelyfan View Post
Out of curiosity, what type of sounds are you trying to create? What type of music?
Synthwave, Lofi (chillhop/hip-hop variety), classic New Wave (basically 80’s hits). Probably the low voice count, or maybe my lack of creativity so far. Everything is coming out very James Blake and Trip Hop-like.

Quote:
Here's the best "How too" video I found on the Minilogue on youtube. It covers the capabilities of the front panel controls as well as some of the advanced features of the synth. Take the time to check this out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jk_0iMXm5BU&t=2218s

Mike T.
Thank you! I’ll give this a watch
Old 6 days ago
Gear Addict
Quote:
Huh? What is that supposed to mean?
It means exactly what I said. If you don't like it, don't buy it.

Mike T.
Old 6 days ago
Gear Nut

Quote:

Mike T.
Pretty sure that's what AW HELL NO meant . Man people on this forum are awful. It's a pretty understandable reaction when it's missing a simple feature its way cheaper younger brother monologue has
Old 6 days ago
Gear Addict
I'd say some players put more importance in sequencer than other players. It could also be said that its only a 16 step sequencer instead of a 64 step sequencer. If a sequencer is so important and it doesn't have what he wants, don't buy it. Simple. No big deal.

Mike T.
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:

Mike T.
Oh wow. Thanks for that!
If it weren’t for you I may have bought it anyway. That was a close one. What would we do without people like you giving us the most obvious advice imaginable?
Old 6 days ago
Gear Addict
Quote:
Oh wow. Thanks for that!
If it weren’t for you I may have bought it anyway. That was a close one. What would we do without people like you giving us the most obvious advice imaginable? WTF Aw, hell no then.
Your welcome.
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Synthwave, Lofi (chillhop/hip-hop variety), classic New Wave (basically 80’s hits). Probably the low voice count, or maybe my lack of creativity so far. Everything is coming out very James Blake and Trip Hop-like.

Thank you! I’ll give this a watch
Roll log worked out a way of using 30Kb samples in the minilogue XD, so that opens it up to Fairlight sounds etc, as well as very lofi samples.

The software is free so I’d explore that perhaps, layering said samples with the VCOs.

I shall be grabbing an XD to try this, but I need to buy a DSS1 first.
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Your welcome.
You forgot to sign your post.

You're welcome.
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear
My welcome?
Old 5 days ago
Here for the gear

Does anyone know why oscillator 2 continues to modulate even when ring and sync and cross modulation are not activated ??? I noticed when I turned down the other oscillators on the mixer and noticed that oscillator 2 is still
Modulating when pitch is changed on oscillator 1 even though ring and sync and cross mod are not active ?!?!
Anyone got any ideas ?!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search