is there an xd desktop release date?
Old 29th May 2019 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xonetacular View Post
is there an xd desktop release date?
Sweetwater says "in a few weeks".
Old 30th May 2019
How are the envelopes for drums and percussion?

Thanks
Old 30th May 2019 | Show parent
Deleted 0ec6b8e
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sextuor View Post
I don't know if this has been already said : does the sequencer and arpeggiator output Midi notes ?
Yes !
Old 2nd June 2019 | Show parent
Here for the gear
Hey fellas. If you'd like to control and automate the Minilogue XD in Ableton Live, I've created a Max4Live to do so. It's not yet perfect, but as far as it is doable at the current point. Hope you'll enjoy :-)

http://www.maxforlive.com/library/de...obik-performer
Old 7th June 2019
Here for the gear
Hi all, it's my first post in forum! Congrats me, and hello from Ukraine!

I over the 12 years use original MicroKorg on 2th floor on stage (1th is Nord Stage 3 ), and now change MK to XD. But I so dissapointed , that that I can't found user banks for Minilogue XD. When I buyed MK, it's was so easy to find one thousands free patches for this synth arround in internet, and I collected my stage bank. But absolutely nothing for XD, only factory patches and a little another. And now its big trouble for me to collect sounds for stage.

OFCOURSE! It's not a Yamaha PSR, and I create my own patches, but I'm not a professional sound designer, and it so hard to create sound in my head from clean envelopes. Better is use patch like you need, and just redo it for myself.

Also I never found any way to convert Prologue patches to Minilogue XD.

I just... that's strange to me.
Old 7th June 2019 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by klavishko View Post
Hi all, it's my first post in forum! Congrats me, and hello from Ukraine!

I over the 12 years use original MicroKorg on 2th floor on stage (1th is Nord Stage 3 ), and now change MK to XD. But I so dissapointed , that that I can't found user banks for Minilogue XD. When I buyed MK, it's was so easy to find one thousands free patches for this synth arround in internet, and I collected my stage bank. But absolutely nothing for XD, only factory patches and a little another. And now its big trouble for me to collect sounds for stage.

OFCOURSE! It's not a Yamaha PSR, and I create my own patches, but I'm not a professional sound designer, and it so hard to create sound in my head from clean envelopes. Better is use patch like you need, and just redo it for myself.

Also I never found any way to convert Prologue patches to Minilogue XD.

I just... that's strange to me.
Probably a lot of that has to do with it being a pretty new release, and there hasn't been much time for people to build patches and decide to release or sell them. I have little doubt that eventually you'll have plenty available to buy or download should you wish to do that.

The Prologue has a similar but not absolutely identical architecture, so patches won't be directly convertible, at least not in all cases. Obviously any bitimbral patches cannot be converted, but there are some differences that make even the others hard or impossible to replicate exactly, such as the more limited filter envelope on the XD.

I'd also suggest you try playing around to create some sounds; it may take time and experimentation, but you'll end up with a better understanding of what is going on in the synth (at least in terms of what affects the sound in what ways) and with some practice it will become more natural to dial up a sound. That, and it's a lot of fun, at least in my experience.
Old 9th June 2019
Gear Head
So fun seeing all of the new owners
Raving about the various experiences.
Mine have been equally enjoyable. People will always find something to say about something new that’s bad but for those of us enjoying it, it was worth the wait for me. I like it’s character, and sound design structure. It’s for my imagination the culmination of a monopoly meets the MS2000. Sure it’snot really comparable but it does cover a lot of ground. Glad I didn’t get sold on the 1st one due to the silver face plate as shallow as that was, I didn’t like stairing at a cheap looking stereo.

Rips the deepmind 12 in core structure, osc shapes and variable shape.
Old 9th June 2019 | Show parent
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobustAmerican View Post
How are the envelopes for drums and percussion?

Thanks
Wow, that bad huh...

Answering my own...A friend is going to loan me his for a few.

Old 10th June 2019
Pre-ordered one. Had it for a couple of months and ultimately sold it. Originally I was entertaining using it as a live synth instead of dragging around my larger Lead 4. Here's my overall take:
1) It def sounds cool. So that's a good thing.
2) Things that annoying me:
a) Build was OK. Keys were the keys... that was expected.
b) I don't like barrel jacks for unmounted live gear. Again.. expected but bothered me more than I'd anticipated.
c) Korg is knee deep in aesthetics over practicality. NONE of the secondary and tertiary shift and menu functions are listed on the panel. With frequent use I'm sure you can remember these things but this ain't my only synth nor will it ever be.
d) The joystick is dying to snap off and I've seen plenty of photos of that happening already.
e) With all the DIGITAL under the hood... the tons of arbitrary restrictions are maddening. Examples...
f) One LFO. All the shift functions could add another? It's DIGITAL.
g) No random on the LFO.
h) the A/D envelope for the filter. Couldn't you add a sustain in the many menus somewhere Korg? This irritated more than I thought it would.
i) The many menus. Some stuff is here... some stuff is there... some stuff makes sense... some stuff doesn't. Almost as if categories in menus were a new idea they were JUST figuring out.
j) Moving user multi-engines around in the editor destroys patches using those oscillators... even if they are present in another slot. That's a little bonkers and limits the options of swapping stuff in and out.
k) you can assign stuff to the joystick but only up or down. Left or right? Always pitch bend. Again... why? Why not let me assign what I want? All these half-options really got to me in the end.
l) tuning... i routinely had to run the tuning procedure around 30 minutes into any session. in the studio I don't really mind this... on stage... can't have it happen.

Anyway... it's a cool synth. Didn't meet my wants or needs in the end.
Old 10th June 2019 | Show parent
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChayaFFM View Post
really into experimental electronic music and hip hop right now. The Alexis ion sounds amazing but there are not a lot of these around in Europe.
I believe that a lot of players bought the scaled down version of the iON, the Micron. Not everyone had room for a 4 octave, full front panel synth. There are a lot of "bedroom" musicians that don't have a lot of space or a lot of money.

I waited to get the ION until Alesis had several OS updates. Early versions of the OS usually had some errors in the code and could be a headache. Once I decided to pull the trigger, I called Sweetwater and spoke to them about the OS. My rep was a KB player and had worked with the ION. He said he demoed it a number of times and didn't have any problems with it. So, I ordered it

I never had any problems with it and it still works fine. Mine is MINT, I'm particular about my gear. Some people complained about the KB action, but I found it more than acceptable. I had synths that had terrible action so the ION was a lot better.

It was the best 3rd generation VA on the market at the time. No regrets for buying it.

Mike T.
Old 12th June 2019 | Show parent
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikt156 View Post
I believe that a lot of players bought the scaled down version of the iON, the Micron. Not everyone had room for a 4 octave, full front panel synth. There are a lot of "bedroom" musicians that don't have a lot of space or a lot of money.

I waited to get the ION until Alesis had several OS updates. Early versions of the OS usually had some errors in the code and could be a headache. Once I decided to pull the trigger, I called Sweetwater and spoke to them about the OS. My rep was a KB player and had worked with the ION. He said he demoed it a number of times and didn't have any problems with it. So, I ordered it

I never had any problems with it and it still works fine. Mine is MINT, I'm particular about my gear. Some people complained about the KB action, but I found it more than acceptable. I had synths that had terrible action so the ION was a lot better.

It was the best 3rd generation VA on the market at the time. No regrets for buying it.

Mike T.
The accessibility is the biggest selling pointing a hardware synth imo. So the Alesis ion still looks amazing.

How do ya‘ll rate the effects section? Do you print it?
Gear Addict
I have FX in my rack case as well as an original BOSS CE-1 Chorus. The ION did not have a lot of FX selections. The FX were weak, but I have plenty of FX and that didn't matter to me. Keep in mind that the ION is a Virtual Analog and RA synth's did NOT have any FX.

The ION replicates a number of RA Vintage synths. I like the Prophet 5 patches. Being that I own an original Prophet 5, I could easily A/B my patches. Obviously RA synths are a bit fatter, but didn't stay in tune very well. Early synths would drift a lot more than modern analog synths. 3 full range Osc, a nice selection of filters, and very reliable.

The ION is great for live performance. Turn it on, its in tune, play.

Some players complain about the keybed. It is certainly playable, but keybeds on more expensive synths are better.

My Yamaha ES8 has a "better' keybed, adjustable action and after touch. The drawback of the ES8 KB is its noisy. Pick your poison. Overall, I'm very happy with the ION.

Mike T.
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikt156 View Post
I have FX in my rack case as well as an original BOSS CE-1 Chorus. The ION did not have a lot of FX selections. The FX were weak, but I have plenty of FX and that didn't matter to me. Keep in mind that the ION is a Virtual Analog and RA synth's did NOT have any FX.

The ION replicates a number of RA Vintage synths. I like the Prophet 5 patches. Being that I own an original Prophet 5, I could easily A/B my patches. Obviously RA synths are a bit fatter, but didn't stay in tune very well. Early synths would drift a lot more than modern analog synths. 3 full range Osc, a nice selection of filters, and very reliable.

The ION is great for live performance. Turn it on, its in tune, play.

Some players complain about the keybed. It is certainly playable, but keybeds on more expensive synths are better.

My Yamaha ES8 has a "better' keybed, adjustable action and after touch. The drawback of the ES8 KB is its noisy. Pick your poison. Overall, I'm very happy with the ION.

Mike T.
thanks mike! But I was actually referring to the mod fx section of the minilogue xd
Gear Addict
Oh, OK. I haven't bought the New Korg yet. There are some excellent demos on youtube. Nick Bates has the best evaluation of the MiniLogue via Sonic State. Nick bought the earlier model and is really impressed with the new version.

I do believe its a bargain considering the selling price.

Mike T.
Old 12th June 2019
Lives for gear

The more I use the XD the more and more I like it.

I really like the drive and with the new filter it’s got just a really cool, fit in the mix, or be upfront sound to it.

Actually prob one of my fav synths I’ve owned soundwise actually.
Quote:
Originally Posted by digital 1010 View Post
The more I use the XD the more and more I like it.

I really like the drive and with the new filter it’s got just a really cool, fit in the mix, or be upfront sound to it.

Actually prob one of my fav synths I’ve owned soundwise actually.
Awesome to hear.

This and the Moog Matriarch are the most interesting new synths around for me. Serious GAS for both.
Old 13th June 2019
Lives for gear

With only the AD filter does this mean it can't do any sort of drone pads or lush sounding long release notes?
Old 13th June 2019 | Show parent
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snail View Post
Awesome to hear.

This and the Moog Matriarch are the most interesting new synths around for me. Serious GAS for both.
The matriarch sounds amazing on paper but I haven’t seen a demo where the sound really made it worth consideration. Same as the deepmind which either sounds boring or just like a soulless Juno clone. Even with that fantastic classically trained player in their demo...the voyager sounds way better imo but i’ve Never owned a Moog so what do I know. Maybe the premium playability makes up for it
Old 13th June 2019 | Show parent
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChayaFFM View Post
The matriarch sounds amazing on paper but I haven’t seen a demo where the sound really made it worth consideration. Same as the deepmind which either sounds boring or just like a soulless Juno clone. Even with that fantastic classically trained player in their demo...the voyager sounds way better imo but i’ve Never owned a Moog so what do I know. Maybe the premium playability makes up for it
If the demos don’t move you then it’s always possible that it’s just not your sound. I’ve sat down with it a few times and was captivated by its sound. I hear that reflected (though it’s not as immediate of course) in the videos now up.

In contrast I’ve sat down with the DeepMind twice and didn’t find in it anything to spark my interest. Not that it’s not a great deal in many ways but its sound was not instantly appealing to me. Nor was the Moog One’s for that matter.

If the Matriarch comes into a store near you definitely have a sit down with it and decide for yourself.
Old 15th June 2019
Gear Maniac
Hey guys, I finally got around to getting this baby from a vendor which stocked up. So far so good: I uupdated throught the updater app to 1.10 but when launching it still shows me "update required panel 1.00". Anyone know what is meant?
Edit: nevermind.
"When a panel update is required, turn on the minilogue xd while holding the [14], [REC] and [REST] buttons. This will enter the panel version upgrade mode."
Old 15th June 2019 | Show parent
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by t.o.t.s. View Post
tuning... i routinely had to run the tuning procedure around 30 minutes into any session. in the studio I don't really mind this... on stage... can't have it happen.
Wow is it that unstable? Every 30 minutes? I wanted to get this for live performance, but tuning it in the middle of a set will not happen.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarrova View Post
Wow is it that unstable? Every 30 minutes? I wanted to get this for live performance, but tuning it in the middle of a set will not happen.
30 minutes into the start of each session... AFTER THAT it seemed stable enough. so not every 30 continuously.
Gear Addict
Quote:
Why? Don't you have a set of headphones? You can shut off the output so turning is not heard out front. Touch up tuning and move on. If you think that today's analogs are a problem, you would not have wanted to keep track of early analogs. What is available these days is SO much more stable. If you don't want to tune, buy a digital synth.

Mike T.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by t.o.t.s. View Post
30 minutes into the start of each session... AFTER THAT it seemed stable enough. so not every 30 continuously.
In other words, it takes several minutes to warm up and become stable like (practically) every other analog synthesizer. One obvious solution is to turn it on fifteen or so minutes before the session.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrewE View Post
In other words, it takes several minutes to warm up and become stable like (practically) every other analog synthesizer. One obvious solution is to turn it on fifteen or so minutes before the session.
most of my modern analogs are ready to go in 15. often times live i don’t have the option to let stuff sit powered on prior to a gig.

so yeah not entirely different from other analog behavior... but imo slightly worse than average.

what I wrote was more observations and explanations for my not keeping. some of it criticism but mainly just sharing info. people can do what they want with it. i opted to stay with my Lead 4 on stage for a few reasons but immediately stability was totally a consideration.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Buy a DCO-based (Behringer, Sequential) or hybrid (Novation, Modal) synth. The same rules apply now as they did back in the 80s, as far as VCOs under the bright lights go.

Alternately, you can spend more money on a modern, VCO-based synth with reliable tuning (arguably, the Prophet-6 / OB-6 might be stable enough). Or a KingKorg!
Gear Addict
Tuning drift was one of the reasons for Auto Tune back in the Dark Ages. It was not uncommon for ONE voice to drift out of tune while the others were In tune on early Poly synths. Oberheim had the option of defeating one of the voice boards in their synths when it was always out of tune and had to be calibrated. That couldn't be done at a gig.

21st Century synths are a lot more stable. Count your blessing.

Mike T.
Old 15th June 2019
Gear Maniac
Does the xd having CV and all mean that one could attach it to a Behringer model d to use the xd‘s Keyboard for velocity sensitive action?
Old 15th June 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
21st Century synths are a lot more stable.
Unfortunately
📝 Reply