The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
NEW: Korg Minilogue xd
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
Funny how everything's subjective in this world, eh? It's by and large the best set of factory presets I've heard on any synth, really. Korg really did a great job there, and seems like the overwhelming majority agrees, from what I can deduce from various sources.
I know! I'll just have to wait to hear something on the radio with "dense lead" as the main instrument...
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyberg View Post
Also, who needs more than 4 voices to make a hit song?
A guitarist.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by VennD68 View Post
A guitarist.

Do you mean strings? Well, the question still stands. Lots of songs feature less than 4 strings. Only problem is a guitar won't stay in tune with just 4 strings on it, whereas a synth is fine
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by VennD68 View Post
A guitarist.
Glad no one told Seasick Steve that
Old 3 weeks ago
xox
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimknopf View Post
Agree with EvilDragon on this.

The Korg Prologue factory patches are quite a mixed bag as well, with maybe one third of useable or tweakable factory patches from my view, and a lot of second rated stuff. The XD patches overall really shine in comparison.
Does anyone know if we can import the xd factory patches to the prologue?
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Head

found what seems like a bug or something : was making a bleepy kick using filter resonance and eg, change the patch by accident, use load panel : vca will not open each time I play a note, use tuning option : everything back to normal. any idea ?

edit : hope my filter is not f*cked, if someone can try to reproduce it that would be nice... (the issue will also appear if I change voice mode)
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Head

anyone know if its possible to convert say serum wavetables to a korg xd/prologue user oscillator? there are some real tasty and juicy moog wavetables for serum
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

An arpeggiator question for XD owners out there, there is something I don't quite understand . . . . any input much appreciated.

I switch the XD to ARP/LATCH . . . I then flick the same switch down once more to engage the latch function (the ARP/LATCH light flashes) I then hit a three note chord (for example F + A + C) . . . ok, so far so good, I've got the notes F+A+C arpeggiating in a nice pattern . . .

. . . however when I take my hand off the keys the arpeggiator continues to arpeggiate only one note (the lowest I think) rather than - what I expected to happen - the same three note pattern continuing.

Is this how it should be working ?
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Are you releasing all the keys at once? Assuming your F+A+C chord, If it sees you holding the F down longer, it is probably changing to arpeggiating just that note.

There is probably a timeout in the firmware that you have to stay within when releasing all the keys of a chord to keep arpeggiating that chord. Maybe that timeout is too short, or you stayed on the F a bit too long, I don't know.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpatz View Post
Are you releasing all the keys at once? Assuming your F+A+C chord, If it sees you holding the F down longer, it is probably changing to arpeggiating just that note.

There is probably a timeout in the firmware that you have to stay within when releasing all the keys of a chord to keep arpeggiating that chord. Maybe that timeout is too short, or you stayed on the F a bit too long, I don't know.
Thanks for the reply kpatz

That was my first thought too, maybe I was releasing the F key very slightly later . . . but that doesn't seem to be the case after lots of testing.

In fact . . . if I hold down F+A+C . . . I get the expected F-A-C-F-A-C-F-A-C-F-A-C pattern . .

. . . I can then let go of F and A (so I'm now just holding down the C key) and the same F-A-C-F-A-C-F-A-C-F-A-C pattern continues to play as long as I hold down the C key . . .

. . . but when I let go of the C key the arrpeggiator jumps back to the F-F-F-F-F-F-F . . . pattern !

I really expected - with using latch - that the F-A-C-F-A-C pattern . . . would continue to play ?
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Sounds like a bug, unless there's some setting causing it, or some other trigger like the sequencer or a sustain pedal, or midi in.

I don't have an XD to test, but maybe someone else with one can reproduce?

I just tried on my BSII and JD-Xi, and both work like this, with latch on: as long as you hold at least one note down, it will "add" any new notes played to the arpeggio. The arp will not "remove" any notes unless you release ALL keys and then hit another note or chord.

So, hit F... you get F-F-F-F... whole holding F, hit A... you get F-A-F-A... while holding either or both of these, hit C, then you get F-A-C. Release all keys, F-A-C continues until you strike a new key after releasing all keys.

In other words, the arpeggio should not change when releasing keys in latch mode. Only notes can be added, or the whole arp resets by releasing ALL keys then striking another.

Does changing voice modes or any other modes make a difference?
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Sounds like a bug, unless there's some setting causing it, or some other trigger like the sequencer or a sustain pedal, or midi in.
There's nothing plugged in besides headphones and power, no midi, no sustain, the sequencer is not playing either, it's a brand new keyboard (only got it today) so unmodified presets and default settings.

Quote:
I just tried on my BSII and JD-Xi, and both work like this, with latch on: as long as you hold at least one note down, it will "add" any new notes played to the arpeggio. The arp will not "remove" any notes unless you release ALL keys and then hit another note or chord.

So, hit F... you get F-F-F-F... whole holding F, hit A... you get F-A-F-A... while holding either or both of these, hit C, then you get F-A-C. Release all keys, F-A-C continues until you strike a new key after releasing all keys.
Yes, that's exactly how I'd expect it to work too.

Quote:
Does changing voice modes or any other modes make a difference?
Once you are in the arpeggiator mode the other modes are no longer available to you (they all share the same switch)

Last edited by Lee Wilson; 3 weeks ago at 07:57 PM..
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Any other XD owners out there know whether this is the expected behaviour . . . or am I doing something wrong here ?

Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Wilson View Post
Once you are in the arpeggiator mode the other modes are no longer available to you (they all share the same switch)

Really, Korg? No unison w/arp? No mono/legato with arp? That's almost as bad as the AD-only filter envelope. I don't see any octave settings for the arp either, unless that's the 1 and 2 versions of the modes (1 or 2 octaves only for most? Geez)
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Really, Korg? No unison w/arp? No mono/legato with arp? That's almost as bad as the AD-only filter envelope. I don't see any octave settings for the arp either, unless that's the 1 and 2 versions of the modes (1 or 2 octaves only for most? Geez)
You're probably asking the wrong person here, I'm new to the Monologue world, but I do know there's a bunch of variations in the Voice Mode Depth control directly above the voice mode switch . . . ?

Also if you want to use Unison with an arpeggiated pattern you could always stick the pattern into the sequencer, which would also allow you as much octave jumping and legato (portmanteau) as you want.

Anyhow, back to my issue, I can't see how I'm going to be a prog-rock god unless I can get the latch thing to behave as most sane people expect it to behave . . . !
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Head

Make sure you are using the latest firmware. Not saying this will help for sure, but it probably won't hurt.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwaping View Post
Make sure you are using the latest firmware. Not saying this will help for sure, but it probably won't hurt.
Thanks kwaping, I'll give that a shot when I get the chance later tonight.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Ohh.... check the release notes... looks like something got fixed.
Quote:
minilogue xd/System Updater
Version:1.0.5
Date:2019.02.21
Software
system updater for minilogue xd

Release notes
- Fixes to CV IN behavior.
- Fixes to arpeggiator behavior when latched.
I'm surprised a brand new XD wouldn't have the latest firmware if it's got a February date on it.... but whatever. Update and it should be fixed.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Cheers kwaping, great advice, I updated the firmware from 1.02 to 1.05 and it solved the issue !

Now I can become a prog-rock god, got the wizard's cape already, just need to start going bald now and I'm set
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Sounds like a bug . . .

Yep ! You were right in the end, it was a bug with firmware 1.02, I've updated it to 1.05 and now all is good in the world

Thanks for your input, really appreciated, for a moment I thought I'd gone mad and that was just the way the XD's arp worked, but like you said there is a pretty standard/accepted way that arps work (keep on playing the pattern until the users hits the keyboard again) . . . and now my XD works that way too.

Thanks again !!

Right . . . who wants to hear a 4 and a half hour analog solo ?
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
I'm surprised a brand new XD wouldn't have the latest firmware if it's got a February date on it.... but whatever. Update and it should be fixed.
Yep, I literally got the XD delivered this morning, and they've been sold out (awaiting new stock) just about everywhere here in the UK, quite hard to get unless you wait for a couple of weeks or so for new stock to arrive, so it's not like there should be stock (with old firmware) from February sat around in warehouses / stockrooms ?

Anyhow, all good now, it was a bug, and the update zapped it, once again thanks for taking the time !
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by D4M0 View Post
found what seems like a bug or something : was making a bleepy kick using filter resonance and eg, change the patch by accident, use load panel : vca will not open each time I play a note, use tuning option : everything back to normal. any idea ?

edit : hope my filter is not f*cked, if someone can try to reproduce it that would be nice... (the issue will also appear if I change voice mode)
So, am I the only one with this issue ?
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Maniac
Is the Mod stick spring loaded ?, if is , can I remove it , I prefer it to be like Vector joystick
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Head

It is sprung. I'm sure you could remove it, but at what cost...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIFEPASS4 View Post
Is the Mod stick spring loaded ?, if is , can I remove it , I prefer it to be like Vector joystick
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
FYI, the regular minilogue is that way too. It's only on the prologue that the arp can be used with the voice modes. It has its own dedicated controls and a 1 to 4 octave range.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIFEPASS4 View Post
That makes no sense when there's nothing to "vectorize" on the XD.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Maniac
I know there is not , the function I'm after is to keep the joystick at position without it moving .
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToyBox View Post
FYI, the regular minilogue is that way too. It's only on the prologue that the arp can be used with the voice modes. It has its own dedicated controls and a 1 to 4 octave range.
One of the advantages of using the ML as a module ... is playing it with another arp in ANY voice mode ... Sidechain mode seems to take on another dimension when using an external arp to drive it ...
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by D4M0 View Post
So, am I the only one with this issue ?
anyone can try to reproduce it please ? Would like to know if my unit is faulty or if it’s just a bug related to the vca and/or the filter
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
That makes no sense when there's nothing to "vectorize" on the XD.
It would work well imho- it means you can set a mod/assignable value and hold it where you leave it. A hold mode for the joystick would cover this.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search