The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Waldorf Microwave 1 soundset for Waldorf Largo
Old 29th December 2018
  #1
Waldorf Microwave 1 soundset for Waldorf Largo

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year slutz.

In January 2016 I've crafted 100+ sounds for Largo, which have been basically copied from Waldorf Microwave 1, kinda 'best of' collection. .fxb file attached.

It took some time, but in the end I was quite pleased with the sounds I've programmed. Most challenging elements to emulate were mixer clipping (can be approximated by audio rate modulation of filter drive) and lowered modulation resolution when MW1 tries to do too much (can be approximated by applying boolean modifiers to lower the bit rate of desired modulation), the rest was programmed routinely with the help of ears and oscilloscope. Still, doing something like this

was challenging, to say the least.

Soundcloud demo with some patches (and a touch of reverb):



This is not a 'hard vs soft' thread, this is more like Microwave 1 fix for those who doesn't have one.

For the record, Largo is on sale until December 31st, but you can always get 30-day trial version, visit Waldorf Music website for details.
Attached Files
File Type: zip MWI Bank.fxb.zip (29.5 KB, 318 views)

Last edited by Endorfinity; 3rd January 2019 at 10:07 PM..
Old 29th December 2018
  #2
Lives for gear
 
gruvsyco's Avatar
Very nice! Thank you. I always felt Largo was kinda underrated. I think it was my first wavetable synth (after a long time obsession with the Q (yellow) and XTK (orange) every time I would visit the music store). I don't use it much these days (Zebra and Wavegenerator have kinda taken over. Just started messing with the new Ableton one and I have a SynthTech E352 in my modular). It will get dusted off this afternoon to check these out. Your demo sounds excellent.

Old 29th December 2018
  #3
Gear Guru
 
EvilDragon's Avatar
Thanks and happy holidays to you! Job well done!
Old 30th December 2018
  #4
Deleted 859c1b8
Guest
Awesome stuff!
Old 30th December 2018
  #5
Lives for gear
 
Gnalvl's Avatar
 

Nice work, I've tried replicating some of my favorite MW1 patches in Largo just for fun and while it's easy to get a semblance of the original sound, the remaining percentage that makes it sound authentically like the MW1 can be pretty elusive.
Old 30th December 2018
  #6
Here for the gear
 
he_fan's Avatar
 

Nice work!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endorfinity View Post
lowered modulation resolution when MW1 tries to do too much (can be approximated by applying boolean modifiers to lower the bit rate of desired modulation)
This is interesting - can you go into a bit more detail?
Old 1st January 2019
  #7
Thanks guys, your replies are much appreciated

@ he_fan , couple times I've encountered such peculiar behavior of the MW: when the patch was fully loaded with modulations, it became apparent that there was something like a resolution loss of aforementioned modulation, wavetable index modulation in particular - instead of smooth interpolation between waveforms there was stepped transition. This phenomena was not so evident sonically (when I was stripping the patch from other modulations, interpolation became smooth again), but definitely added to the overall feeling of the patch.

Meet binary modifiers AND, OR and XOR, special group of modifiers found in most of Waldorf synths. They take one or two modulations sources and perform Boolean logic operations, transforming sources in various ways. There's lots of things you can do with them creatively (comparators, frequency multipliers, VCAs etc.), but for emulating stepped modulation we can do the following:
- in the modifier section choose AND modifier,
- choose desired mod source like LFO or Wave ENV as the first operator,
- choose CONST (-64..+63) as the second operator

The result of the modifier will be transformed modulation, with some specific CONST values giving us almost the same modulation, but with stepped transitions as if it lost bit resolution (check out the results of applying binary modifiers AND -02, AND -04, AND -08 to smooth ramp function in paper by Achim Gratz linked above). Now we can use this modifier as a modulation source.

Last edited by Endorfinity; 1st January 2019 at 09:17 PM..
Old 28th February 2019
  #8
Here for the gear
 
he_fan's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endorfinity View Post
@ he_fan , couple times I've encountered such peculiar behavior of the MW: when the patch was fully loaded with modulations, it became apparent that there was something like a resolution loss of aforementioned modulation, wavetable index modulation in particular - instead of smooth interpolation between waveforms there was stepped transition. This phenomena was not so evident sonically (when I was stripping the patch from other modulations, interpolation became smooth again), but definitely added to the overall feeling of the patch.

Meet binary modifiers AND, OR and XOR, special group of modifiers found in most of Waldorf synths. They take one or two modulations sources and perform Boolean logic operations, transforming sources in various ways. There's lots of things you can do with them creatively (comparators, frequency multipliers, VCAs etc.), but for emulating stepped modulation we can do the following:
- in the modifier section choose AND modifier,
- choose desired mod source like LFO or Wave ENV as the first operator,
- choose CONST (-64..+63) as the second operator

The result of the modifier will be transformed modulation, with some specific CONST values giving us almost the same modulation, but with stepped transitions as if it lost bit resolution (check out the results of applying binary modifiers AND -02, AND -04, AND -08 to smooth ramp function in paper by Achim Gratz linked above). Now we can use this modifier as a modulation source.
Thanks for this - very interesting. I attempted to create stepped modulation with my Microwave XT after reading your post and that document, though I ran into a bit of trouble as the MWXT does not have CONST(X) as a modifier source. To get around this problem, I used the Free Envelope as a constant (you could use a few other sources as well).

To create a stepped filter sweep for example:
- Free Envelope times to 0 (release could be at 127 I suppose)
- Free Envelope levels are the "amount of steppiness" (start small)

- Modifier 1 Source #1 = minimum
- Modifier 1 Source #2 = Free Env
- Modifier 1 Type = -

- Modifier 2 Source #1 = FilterEnv
- Modifier 2 Source #2 = Modify #1
- Modifier 2 Type = AND

- Mod1 Source = Modify #2
- Mod1 Destination = Cutoff
- Mod1 Amount = to your taste

Perhaps there's a more elegant way to do this, but it's a nice effect!
Old 28th February 2019
  #9
TNC
Lives for gear
 

Really like it Endorfinity, thank you!
Old 28th February 2019
  #10
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNC View Post
Really like it Endorfinity, thank you!
you are super very welcome, enjoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by he_fan View Post
I used the Free Envelope as a constant (you could use a few other sources as well)
brilliant, glad that it worked!

I have not dedicated a lot of time to MW2, but emulating const without sacrificing valuable modulators was one of the first things I've tried during a couple programming sessions.

I've tried to do so through assigning controller W/X/Y/Z to arbitrary MIDI CCs, then using them as source #2 and changing their values through Play Access page (controller WXYZ previously defined in Play Access page) - no luck unfortunately, although it should work in theory.

well, at least it works with Free Envelope. Thinking out loud, another possible way to do it would be square wave LFO with reeeeeeally low frequency, synced to the key press so that it would act like a gate. But then you'll have to scale that gate level essentially changing const value, hmm
Old 28th February 2019
  #11
Lives for gear
 
pounce's Avatar
 

This is great. I wish there were something like this for the Blofeld.
Old 28th February 2019
  #12
Actually, at first I started doing this on Blofeld but kinda gave up since programming stuff on Blofeld was not so much fun for me.

Yet one lucky guy, that bought my Blofeld got around 50-60 sounds from that sound set.
Old 2nd March 2019
  #13
Here for the gear
 
he_fan's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endorfinity View Post
I've tried to do so through assigning controller W/X/Y/Z to arbitrary MIDI CCs, then using them as source #2 and changing their values through Play Access page (controller WXYZ previously defined in Play Access page) - no luck unfortunately, although it should work in theory.

well, at least it works with Free Envelope. Thinking out loud, another possible way to do it would be square wave LFO with reeeeeeally low frequency, synced to the key press so that it would act like a gate. But then you'll have to scale that gate level essentially changing const value, hmm
That's an interesting idea to use the WXYZ controllers and then the Play Access page for this. Maybe you need a MIDI loopback (MIDI OUT to MIDI IN) to make that work? I'd give it a go myself, but I don't have the keyboard version or a MIDI merge box. MIDI loopbacks can also do weird things besides... A fancy workstation that can send CCs would be useful!

I tried to make this work with a square LFO, but it wasn't happening. There's no way to scale it down in the mod matrix to a value that's useful for this stepped parameter thing - I think you were alluding to this in your post.
Old 3rd May 2019
  #14
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endorfinity View Post
you are super very welcome, enjoy



brilliant, glad that it worked!

I have not dedicated a lot of time to MW2, but emulating const without sacrificing valuable modulators was one of the first things I've tried during a couple programming sessions.

I've tried to do so through assigning controller W/X/Y/Z to arbitrary MIDI CCs, then using them as source #2 and changing their values through Play Access page (controller WXYZ previously defined in Play Access page) - no luck unfortunately, although it should work in theory.

well, at least it works with Free Envelope. Thinking out loud, another possible way to do it would be square wave LFO with reeeeeeally low frequency, synced to the key press so that it would act like a gate. But then you'll have to scale that gate level essentially changing const value, hmm
Why Largo and not Nave
Nave's first 60 wavetables are identical to MWs, and the first 30 identical to PPGs
Was the reason related to Largo's modulation or filter?
Old 26th June 2020
  #15
abi
Here for the gear
 

Great stuff, thank you!
Old 27th June 2020
  #16
Lives for gear
Thank you for sharing this! Largo is such an under rated synth and your patches demonstrate this.
Old 27th June 2020
  #17
Lives for gear
 
Vectorman's Avatar
 

Yes, these are very good indeed!

A few days ago when I picked up Largo on sale, I noticed I had these MW1 patch recreations on my HD - apparently I had snagged the bank from this thread over a year ago in case I one day purchased Largo and could use them.
Old 27th June 2020
  #18
Lives for gear
 

Just trying this set with my cut-price Largo. They're pretty good, a lot more satisfying than the default bank. I've not tried all the banks that come with it yet but the initial one, my God it's a bad sense of deja vu from my memory of the Blofeld and Pulse 2 presets. They're not universally terrible but the Waldorf patch team certainly have different ears and tastes to me.
Old 8th July 2020
  #19
Thanks for these. Show how warm Largo can sound.
๐Ÿ“ Reply
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
๐Ÿ–จ๏ธ Show Printable Version
โœ‰๏ธ Email this Page
๐Ÿ” Search thread
๐ŸŽ™๏ธ View mentioned gear
Forum Jump
Forum Jump