The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Recommendations for some under the radar vintage drum machines Drum Machines & Samplers
Old 27th December 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Ocelot View Post
*The only analog drum machines Yamaha made were integrated into mixers (EM-90, EM-130)
Er, Mr. President, er, this is, er, not entirely accurate.
They actually made the MR10...

Cheers,
Bert
Old 27th December 2018
Gear Addict

what do you think about the Simmons SDS machines?
Old 27th December 2018
Gear Maniac
Why not patch some drum sounds with the synths you already own. Plenty of very good and original drum sounds to create this way. Sounds like nothing else! It's my secret weapon!
Old 27th December 2018
Gear Maniac
Not just with drum synths. I mean with any synth...
Old 27th December 2018
To the Simmons question:
Well, the sampled 1000 and 2000 modules are cheap, and they sound good.
All the other SDSs are sadly NOT underrated and accordingly expensive.
Cheaper alternative: Tama Techstar series.

Cheers,
Bert
Old 27th December 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
*The only analog drum machines Yamaha made were integrated into mixers (EM-90, EM-130) and you can often find these for super cheap because people have no idea what they actually
The GX 1 and some of the Electone organs also had analogue drum machines built in that sounded quite good.
Old 27th December 2018
Lives for gear

or just get an mpc1000 and have'em all ?
Old 27th December 2018
Gear Maniac

I have 2 Tama Techstar 260s I no longer use as I have the TT-78.
I used to control them via pulses and CV OCD.
Old 27th December 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
*The Hammond Autovari 64 that @EvilRoy mentioned above which I believe is a variant of the TR-77/FR-7L/FR 8L
The Auto-Vari 64 is actually completely different from the Roland and Ace Tone models. I have an Auto-Vari 64, TR-77 and Ace Tone FR-2L and they're all very different.

The Ace Tone FR-1 and FR-2L are good too. They're electronically identical except for the cancel buttons. The Hammond Auto Rhythm FR-2D is the same as the FR-2L and might be cheaper.

Hammond also used both the FR-2D and Auto-Vari 64 in organs, and you can sometimes find ones that have been removed from the organs. They're cheap, but they don't have a proper case, and you'll have to wire the mains plug and output.

Quote:
*Multivox made a whole host of ripoff Acetone machines and didn't even bother to make the names different (FR3/3S, FR4, FR6, FR7)
I think a lot of those are actually rebranded Ace Tone models. A couple might have been made by Firstman/Hillwood.

The Seeburg Select-A-Rhythm deserves a mention too. It's got probably the nicest patterns of any of them. Also the Korg Minipops 7 and the slightly different Univox SR-95. Those have the nicest sounds, but they're getting somewhat expensive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transistores View Post
8000 doesn't have a sound of 808 at all apart from the cowbell and clap which are a bit similar. I have a CR-5000 (8000 without programmable patterns and clap) and unless heavily processed it is a calm rhythm machine akin to the 70's preset drum boxes.
Yeah I don't think the CR-8000 is that great. The timing is very sloppy (somewhat better if synced to something else). But they have a pedal input for the "register" button that can switch between two sets of patterns, and this can be controlled by a trigger pulse. That's a very unique and useful feature if you want to get creative with it.
Old 27th December 2018
Lives for gear

Used to have an acetone and a Yamaha organ with builtin rhythm. Not real wild about the sounds...they are serviceable for a scratch track but they will get old by themselves. I’ve definitely based a few songs off these machines and that’s about all i can take. Only so much you can do with a pillowy bass drum and a conga or noise wash snare... They also tend to be pretty noisy so they don’t always benefit from straight FX like a pedal.

For the enterprising individual that wants to use these though, I would take it another step further beyond just effects and run them through various sample replacement/augmentation plugins and or audio to midi.

For the money A rhythm wolf or Tom cat are probably more immediately useful and practical to use...and the same philosophy goes, you may want to think about processing your sounds..
Old 27th December 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by acreil View Post

Hammond also used both the FR-2D and Auto-Vari 64 in organs, and you can sometimes find ones that have been removed from the organs. They're cheap, but they don't have a proper case, and you'll have to wire the mains plug and output.
Somewhere in my scrap bins I have the voice board for the rhythm unit from a T500 series spinet I used to own. Never got around to wiring it up as a stand-alone percussion module. The design seems to be a series of transistor based twin-T filters with caps and inductors to set the resonant frequency. I think it requires a 26V power supply and I’ve just never found time to build one up.

I once found one of these Realistic drum machines in the basement of an abandoned house.
**BIG WILLY'S BEAT BOX - HARD TO FIND RHYTHM MACHINE LOOPS and SAMPLES - REALISTIC CONCERTMATE**
And it still worked! I sampled it and passed it on to a friend. Pretty neat sounds on it.
Old 27th December 2018
When I was shopping around for the Procussion I found one of these Siel units on Reverb

I was really tempted to get it but with the holidays my budget is too tight. I believe it’s still available.
Old 27th December 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramos707 View Post
Boss DR660
This. I have a recording of an insanely obscure Death Metal band that used the DR660 at 250+ BPM and that thing sounds like a wall of death.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramos707 View Post
Roland R8
I had a friend with one but I never liked how it sounded. I thought it sounded boring.

Other candidates: Alesis SR-16. Had this for a long time, but I wouldn't exactly call it "realistic".

Last edited by johannburkard; 27th December 2018 at 06:45 PM.. Reason: BBCode
Old 27th December 2018
Gear Addict

Not a drum machine--because it has no sequencer, and not vintage--but these are fun.
Old 27th December 2018
Lives for gear

Since it wasn't mentioned it qualifies as "under the radar" I suppose ...
Great UI, full MIDI implementation, separate outputs. But it doesn't sound like a 808/909 (at least without processing) :

Old 27th December 2018
Lives for gear

unless you use it to control a drumstation.
Old 27th December 2018
I’d recommend
Alesis SR-16
Casio RZ-1
Roland R8
TR-505 (do the bass drum mod though)
TR-626
TR-707
TR-727
CR-68
Korg MiniPops
Korg KR-55
Rhythm Wolf
Any home keyboard. Play with the rhythms, even can add bass, rhythm keys, etc.
For example
I like the drums on the Casio SK-1 and I had an SA-75 which had some neat drum sounds.
Also
Yamaha PSRs have some good drums, especially the early 90’s models. Look for a PSR-47 or PSR-6 with the drum beats.
Old 28th December 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Music Bird View Post
TR-505 (do the bass drum mod though)
TR-626
what's the bass drum mod? does it apply to 626?
(gotta get that harry axten kit!)
Old 28th December 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by babylonpanic View Post
what's the bass drum mod? does it apply to 626?
(gotta get that harry axten kit!)
It slightly changes the bass drum's harmonics so it has more thump in the low end. The 606/626 has a similar one.
Old 28th December 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
It slightly changes the bass drum's harmonics so it has more thump in the low end. The 606/626 has a similar one.
yeh great fantastic. but you're not going to show me then?
Old 28th December 2018
Quote:
yeh great fantastic. but you're not going to show me then?
The Axten kits have better sounds on 505. Same with 626. I don't know how you'd mod the bass drum myself because I dont know much about modding.
YouTube
HKA Design : Roland TR-626 ROM Expansion
Old 28th December 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
The Axten kits have better sounds on 505. Same with 626. I don't know how you'd mod the bass drum myself because I dont know much about modding.
YouTube
HKA Design : Roland TR-626 ROM Expansion

i think, just best to contact mr Axten. on my to do list.
could be great with the extra outs on the 626.

i stuck a 8bit USA eeprom in a HR16 but i'm pretty sure it doesn't
sound as good as this. i sort of liked the original HR16 sounds
eventually anyway.
Old 28th December 2018
Here for the gear
I find the Roland R-70 quite ok. Picked it up cheap and using it since
Old 28th December 2018
Lives for gear

I'm surprised the old Boss units don't get more hype. Even though they're sample-based, they've got a sound to them. Boss DR-550mkII is the king of cool electronic sounds. Also kind of outside of the parameters of this thread, but the Alesis Sample Rack goes cheap as chips. The thing about it is that because of the way it's set up, it's easier to just pick out a huge bank of drum samples, slap it on an SD card, and use it as a set and forget machine for drum kits. It's kind of like having a D4, but with custom sounds still going through the Alesis DAC.
Old 28th December 2018
Lives for gear

don’t give away the secret of the 660
Old 28th December 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp View Post
Alesis Sample Rack
another Alesis with a promising looking knob that just does Volume.

looks like a great unit, hadn't heard of it. the D4 was good.
Old 28th December 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
another Alesis with a promising looking knob that just does Volume.

looks like a great unit, hadn't heard of it. the D4 was good.
Yeah, that's the one downside: No encoder. You have to go through options with the buttons. Once you get the hang of it, you can work pretty fast with it, though.
Old 29th December 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilRoy View Post
Hammmond AutoVari 64. $100

With a little hacking, I can have individual outputs and hook it up to a Beatstep Pro.
I had MIDI added to mine by the aforementioned circuitsbenders.co.uk. Individual outs would be cool.
Old 29th December 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp View Post
Yeah, that's the one downside: No encoder. You have to go through options with the buttons. Once you get the hang of it, you can work pretty fast with it, though.

Last edited by whatever17; 29th December 2018 at 08:57 AM..
Old 29th December 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by fanriffic View Post
I had MIDI added to mine by the aforementioned circuitsbenders.co.uk. Individual outs would be cool.
Sweet. I only knew it could be triggered from CV off a Beatstep from Youtube vids, one showed individual outs but no instructions. I have the schematic and intend to figure it out.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search