The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Synths for sale     Latest  Trending
Rev2 or not to Rev2 in 2019
Old 22nd December 2018
  #1
Gear Addict
 
PistolP's Avatar
Rev2 or not to Rev2 in 2019

Dear fellow sluts, first of all happy holidays!

I could get a DSI Rev2 for a fair price and I am contemplating to buy it but since I never really have had any analog or even hardware synths (only played them a bit in stores and other studios) my question is if it would give me a new palette, more organic sounds and something extra that I do not get from virtual instruments. I am producing pop, some hip hop and some edm.
Old 22nd December 2018
  #2
Gear Addict
 
PistolP's Avatar
gotta do this ..

bump
Old 22nd December 2018
  #3
Gear Nut
Wait for NAMM in January.
Old 22nd December 2018
  #4
Gear Addict
 
PistolP's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by milkbath View Post
Wait for NAMM in January.
hmmm. can you reveal some more?
Old 22nd December 2018
  #5
Gear Addict
 

On my wishlist for a year from now are either a used Peak or Rev 2. The Peak at this point seems more flexible overall in terms of palette. However, the Rev2 sounds even more amazing to me and is bi-timbral. If your overall synth toolbox is lacking, the Peak might be well worth your time to consider, especially after the latest update.

If you have some other synths (soft or otherwise)... Rev2 16 voice sounds like a slice of heaven fell into a knobby wood and metal box.
Old 22nd December 2018
  #6
Lives for gear
 
EvilRoy's Avatar
 

Rev2/16 are going for around $1500 KB, $1350 DT right now. Seems like best-bang-for-the-DSI buck to me. Also consider what you need/want and your options. Would a Deepmind and $1K in monos serve you better?
Old 22nd December 2018
  #7
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by PistolP View Post
hmmm. can you reveal some more?
As always, new synths will be announced leading up to and at NAMM
Old 22nd December 2018
  #8
Gear Addict
 
CathodeRay's Avatar
I can give you my take on it having owned one. My desire was to have that vintage Prophet 5 sound. I bought my Rev2 8 voice knowing it was not bang on but could get me that flavor which it did, its an amazing synth with plenty of sound design potential , but after about 6 months with it the sound kinda wore on me and I found myself using Repro 5 to get the sounds i was really looking for. So in the end i was really just using the Rev2 as a Midi controller and i sold it.

Your needs may be different but if your after that classic Prophet 5 sound you may be disappointed.
Old 23rd December 2018
  #9
I have the P08, which I love, but I wouldnt want it being my first synth let alone only synth. It is distinctly brassy, and is a great flavour, but I dont think covers as much ground as some other similarly priced synths. It also doesnt lend itself to pop or hip hop really, not that its genre specific or anything. I think the Prologue is more flexible, will do prophet style sounds as well as getting into obie territory...then youve got the hybrid wave forms that take it to another level...the JDXA can be found used at your pricepoint...that can cover just about anything but leans more towards the digital side...of course you could just get a deepmind and a boog, maybe some cash left over to add an Karp/neutron/AJ2/JDXI etc etc
Old 23rd December 2018
  #10
Lives for gear
The main competition for the Rev2 is the DM12.
Old 23rd December 2018
  #11
Gear Maniac
 
theJPdude's Avatar
 

If you're happy with the sound of your VSTis, one of few advantages to going with something with a Rev2 is the tactile experience.

Funny that kcearl mentions the JDXA and the Rev2 in the same sentence, as I have both of them.

My rev2 is for sale, but mostly as a feeler at the moment. I do enjoy using it, and it does sound good, but I'm extremely partial to Rolands and their sound.
Old 23rd December 2018
  #12
Lives for gear
 

I'm more interested in the Prologue now but I think the most important thing is to find one and play it. Go to a major chain and see if they have it. If you get it used you can always get most of your cash back if you get bored.

I find the raw tone most important and I like what I'm hearing with the Prologue. Rev2 is really good on modulations but I figure we have software for that stuff.

Old 23rd December 2018
  #13
The Prologue can do a bit of the P08/Revs sound but it goes way beyond...excellent fx and despite its shortcomings (limited modulation, no sequencer, no AT) it sounds beautiful. Ive spent my first full day with it today and couldnt be happier with the purchase.
Old 23rd December 2018
  #14
Gear Addict
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by miscend View Post
The main competition for the Rev2 is the DM12.
I believe it's more the Peak (unless you need a keybed) in addition to the Prologue (fixed). The DM12 is a "rung" lower. If I decide to get another synth and can't afford a Peak or Rev2, then the DM12 would be my first choice unless something shiner comes along in the mean time.
Old 23rd December 2018
  #15
Here for the gear
 

Like someone else said, I owned one and preferred Repro 5. I also really disliked the Layer A/B architecture. I never once designed a patch with stacking or splitting in mind. This is just a personal preference, as I'm sure many people love it, but in the end something about it just annoyed me and was one of the reasons I got rid of it. And I know I could just ignore it and create patches as I wished, but it was just an aspect I disliked. I also hated the feel of the sharp edges of the knobs. It's a great sounding synth, but there were just too many little things that bugged me to put up with keeping it when Repro was just as good if not better imo.
Old 23rd December 2018
  #16
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by vitocorleone123 View Post
I believe it's more the Peak (unless you need a keybed) in addition to the Prologue (fixed). The DM12 is a "rung" lower. If I decide to get another synth and can't afford a Peak or Rev2, then the DM12 would be my first choice unless something shiner comes along in the mean time.
Only if price point is the only thing you take into consideration. To me they are both full size analogue poly synths with similar build quality according to reports. Otherwise the two are pretty comparable with the DM12s extensive fx section making up for the simple voice architecture.

Like you said the Peak lacks a keyboard, I wonder what Novation were thinking? The jury is still out on the Prologue.
Old 24th December 2018
  #17
Lives for gear
 
ToneKontrol's Avatar
 

NO, wait at least for NAMM, and also look at some ebay/vintage/used gear. They often sound better if you're specifically looking for "analog mojo" to differentiate you massively from software/flat/plastic sound.

I've had Prophet 6, OB-6, Prophet REV 2 (08), JD-XA etc and let them all go, they just weren't quite there. My fav from the bunch is the Prophet 6, the OB-6 is also great, anything less than those and you're compromising on tone massively.

Specifically about the Rev2 I found it had a very narrow sweet spot, only good for some textures and vanilla/generic/underwhelming tones (bad filters, dull oscs). It's just not that good other than its spec. Not for an "analog" synth anyhow. I've had a LOT of analogs though so maybe I'm spoiled on what constitutes great tone, great VCAs/envs/filters and how they interact.

Rev 2 is a nice unit, great value, but it just doesn't sound that great doing typical analog sounds, it's better for weirder stuff, sci-fi textures, layered sequences. It's borderline digital in tone as it's so non-rich. It can sound pretty, and 'analog', but it just not good enough imo.

With new synths coming I'd say wait.

Of the current modern synths I'd categorize them on sound:


Good to great
( but near misses as too many limits and a bit stiff sounding )

Prophet 6
Ob-6
JD-XA (this also sounds a bit cheap on the DCOs but nicer filters than rev 2)

Plain old turkeys
(Harsh/bad/thin/unmusical tone - avoid buying unless you make music with sound based on marketing/hype and not your ears)

Rev2
Prologue
Moog One

Ironic that the more musical sounding threesome also have stupid 4 octave keybeds, and the 16 voice 5 octave synths sound like ****. lose/lose. Moog One is particularly insulting for the price and the number of issues it has to sound so damn flat and uneventful. The 4 octave DSI synths (with 1 LFO) sound good but Dave Smith is playing games with his synths to not hurt sales so nerfs his nicer sounding synths. Hopefully he'll sort this BS next year and finally make ONE single GREAT synth (with 5 octaves AND great rich analog sound - 6 voice poly is fine Dave)

Of course, ignore my advice if you wish, but these are the cold hard findings I've had as someone who wants analog to do what analog does best.
Old 24th December 2018
  #18
Luckily I only make music based on marketing hype
Old 24th December 2018
  #19
Lives for gear
 
cogsy's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToneKontrol View Post
NO, wait at least for NAMM, and also look at some ebay/vintage/used gear. They often sound better if you're specifically looking for "analog mojo" to differentiate you massively from software/flat/plastic sound.

I've had Prophet 6, OB-6, Prophet REV 2 (08), JD-XA etc and let them all go, they just weren't quite there. My fav from the bunch is the Prophet 6, the OB-6 is also great, anything less than those and you're compromising on tone massively.

Specifically about the Rev2 I found it had a very narrow sweet spot, only good for some textures and vanilla/generic/underwhelming tones (bad filters, dull oscs). It's just not that good other than its spec. Not for an "analog" synth anyhow. I've had a LOT of analogs though so maybe I'm spoiled on what constitutes great tone, great VCAs/envs/filters and how they interact.

Rev 2 is a nice unit, great value, but it just doesn't sound that great doing typical analog sounds, it's better for weirder stuff, sci-fi textures, layered sequences. It's borderline digital in tone as it's so non-rich. It can sound pretty, and 'analog', but it just not good enough imo.

With new synths coming I'd say wait.

Of the current modern synths I'd categorize them on sound:


Good to great
( but near misses as too many limits and a bit stiff sounding )

Prophet 6
Ob-6
JD-XA (this also sounds a bit cheap on the DCOs but nicer filters than rev 2)

Plain old turkeys
(Harsh/bad/thin/unmusical tone - avoid buying unless you make music with sound based on marketing/hype and not your ears)

Rev2
Prologue
Moog One

Ironic that the more musical sounding threesome also have stupid 4 octave keybeds, and the 16 voice 5 octave synths sound like ****. lose/lose. Moog One is particularly insulting for the price and the number of issues it has to sound so damn flat and uneventful. The 4 octave DSI synths (with 1 LFO) sound good but Dave Smith is playing games with his synths to not hurt sales so nerfs his nicer sounding synths. Hopefully he'll sort this BS next year and finally make ONE single GREAT synth (with 5 octaves AND great rich analog sound - 6 voice poly is fine Dave)

Of course, ignore my advice if you wish, but these are the cold hard findings I've had as someone who wants analog to do what analog does best.
I agree with one part of this post: ignore his advice. Considering the thousands of words this guy wrote extolling the virtues of the JDXA, which he now slights, I'd have a hard time taking his opinion seriously.

The Rev 2 is a great sounding board with loads of flexibility and modulation, so you can sculpt the sound you want. It has a brassy character when the filter is wide open, which is either what you want or not. I like it but YMMV. You can get away from that and synthesize flutes, strings, harps, EP's, spacey textural pads, etc. That's how I use it for a group I play with. Or you can go trancey/dancey and make supersaws and synth marimbas, which I also like to do

I think the lay of the land is pretty clear these days. Nord is doing interesting things with digital and analog modeling, with a dense interface that requires you to break out bifocals. Roland has done vintage throwback with modern sounds thrown in with the System 8, with atrocious build quality at twice the price you want to pay for digital. Uli has the Deepmind, which you can (and need to) bathe in the myriad onboard effects. Korg may have finally fixed the Prologue tuning issue, which doesn't fix the lack of modulation. DSI has a few boards at different price points, with different combinations of features that all leave out something you want. And Moog released a board for people who want to remortgage their house to play Bladerunner covers. Of just say screw it and go for software.
Old 1st January 2019
  #20
Gear Nut
 

The Rev2 is a great instrument. I was never convinced by the Prophet 08, the Rev2 sounded nicer to me straight away but the presets are a little cold and not very useful and the filter is a bit tricky to master. But I have one for a couple of days now and I got all kinds of amazing sounds out of it. It’s extremely versatile for an analog poly and it sounds amazing once you stop expecting it to be one big sweetspot like a Juno
Old 1st January 2019
  #21
Lives for gear
 
GeorgeHayduke's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by miscend View Post
The two are pretty comparable with the DM12s extensive fx section making up for the simple voice architecture...
It only works like that in adds..
Old 1st January 2019
  #22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldberg View Post
The Rev2 is a great instrument. I was never convinced by the Prophet 08, the Rev2 sounded nicer to me straight away but the presets are a little cold and not very useful and the filter is a bit tricky to master. But I have one for a couple of days now and I got all kinds of amazing sounds out of it. It’s extremely versatile for an analog poly and it sounds amazing once you stop expecting it to be one big sweetspot like a Juno
You notice that much of a difference?

I cant really hear it between the two...certainly not enough to “upgrade”. Id buy for fx and modulation but not sound.
Old 1st January 2019
  #23
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcearl View Post
You notice that much of a difference?

I cant really hear it between the two...certainly not enough to “upgrade”. Id buy for fx and modulation but not sound.
The value of the Rev2 over the 08 is in the sum of the parts. No single feature could justify upgrading. But taken together (and don't forget build quality and keyed, which have no effect on sound, but sure effect one's psyche), I think it's a better instrument.

The weakest thing on the Rev2 IMHO, is the filter. It works, but is quite vanilla and has no real
character.
Old 1st January 2019
  #24
Lives for gear
 
Shadowkast's Avatar
 

It's a powerful instrument and talented people make magic with it. But I think you have to like the sound, that brassy character. I tire of the filter, personally, so went with Prophet 6 instead. My thinking being that I can program and sound design better in the box or a hardware digital that I like the sound of more. So I wanted an easy poly analog synth with legendary sweet spots available up and down the keys that would wow the audience and myself. Very happy with the choice.
Old 1st January 2019
  #25
Gear Addict
 

Be careful before critiquing Moog products. I did that and I was hung by my fingernails.

Their fans are the electronic music equivalent of Beyoncé fans and Trump supporters (“Don’t be political!”).
Old 1st January 2019
  #26
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcearl View Post
You notice that much of a difference?

I cant really hear it between the two...certainly not enough to “upgrade”. Id buy for fx and modulation but not sound.
Same here, I was never bothered about P08 but just ordered a Rev2. The Rev2 sounds more refined to me. Subjective, but the difference is pretty clear to me. Enough to buy one but not the other.
Old 1st January 2019
  #27
Gear Nut
 

I agree that the Prophet 6 filter has a little more character, but for me the rev2 is just a more flexible instrument, with 16 voices, 5 octaves and dual/split. If the Pro6 would have a filter as nice as the Jup8 or the OBxa/8, with a 2 pole mode as well, it would be a different story.
Old 1st January 2019
  #28
Gear Guru
 
zerocrossing's Avatar
I think what you buy should reflect your future as much as it reflects your current situation. If you want a one-and-done instrument that’s going to augment your stable of plugins, I would not buy the Prophet 08, REV1 or 2... unless you’re hearing demos of it that make you so excited that you must have it. I say that, because the Curtis based modern Prophets/MoPho/Tetra have a very specific character. To me, they’re like cloves. They make a lot of things better, but it’s not something like salt, which will end up in every dish you cook up.

So, if you are thinking this is the first foray into hardware synths, and think that you’ll build a collection of a few hardware instruments, get the REV2. IMO, it is going to be considered a classic. However, if you really want a hardware synth that’s going to make it into all your tracks and you’ll do the rest in software, get the Prophet 6 or OB-6. Both are great but offer slightly different “flavors.” I have the Prophet 6 module, but only because it was first to market. I’ve done a lot of research into whether or not the OB-6 would work better for me, and each time I come to the conclusion that either one would make me happy, so I never changed it. Some people have strong preferences of one or the other, so that’s a personal decision.

The Peak will also become part of my world at some point. They took my advice (no, really. I’m sure they read my criticism and based all their v 1.2 changes on my opinions and needs. ) and spiced up the wavetable options and added killer features like more LFOs and made effects parameters available to the mod matrix. Novation, you are officially forgiven. Why I think it would augment plugins really well is that, like the REV2 and 6s, it does really nice analog distortion. IMO, this is the place where most plugins fall short.

The Prophet 12 might also be a good purchase, though I feel like it’s better for more harsh and “distressed” types of sounds. Think NIN and Boards of Canada. I don’t know what your music is like, but I personally do use a lot of those types of sounds and they are sounds that benefit from hardware (usually). I have the Pro 2, which is the same (almost) oscillator section with the filters from the 6s. Only mono or 4 voice paraphonic, but that’s fine for the types of sounds I use it for.

I really like the sound of the Korg Prologue, but I’m not sure they’ve fixed the tuning issues... or if all units suffer from that particular defect/bug. I’d be very careful and make sure you buy one from a place that lets you return it if there’s an issue. I never bothered digging into that debacle, as they left off aftertouch, (in it’s own keyboard or from external keyboards) and that’s a big no-no for me. If you’re new to keys, that’s a feature that let’s you press down (sometimes it is called “pressure” in keyboards) after a note is struck and add some expression/modulation to the sound. Think of it like a mod wheel that allows you to keep your both hands on the keys and that springs back to zero.
Old 1st January 2019
  #29
Quote:
Originally Posted by odourboy View Post
The value of the Rev2 over the 08 is in the sum of the parts. No single feature could justify upgrading. But taken together (and don't forget build quality and keyed, which have no effect on sound, but sure effect one's psyche), I think it's a better instrument.

The weakest thing on the Rev2 IMHO, is the filter. It works, but is quite vanilla and has no real
character.
Yeah I think its a better instrument quality wise, well the once i played it in the flesh...but I have the 08 module so it's a different experience anyway


Quote:
Originally Posted by j0hnny View Post
Same here, I was never bothered about P08 but just ordered a Rev2. The Rev2 sounds more refined to me. Subjective, but the difference is pretty clear to me. Enough to buy one but not the other.
I cant tell you what you hear but honestly I couldnt hear a difference, had the 08 since it came out and playing the Rev 2 sans fx sounded the same to me...not that it was side by side or do I claim to have golden ears.

Id trade up to get a keyboard, but that would really be it
Old 1st January 2019
  #30
Quote:
Originally Posted by zerocrossing View Post


I really like the sound of the Korg Prologue, but I’m not sure they’ve fixed the tuning issues... or if all units suffer from that particular defect/bug. I’d be very careful and make sure you buy one from a place that lets you return it if there’s an issue. I never bothered digging into that debacle, as they left off aftertouch, (in it’s own keyboard or from external keyboards) and that’s a big no-no for me. If you’re new to keys, that’s a feature that let’s you press down (sometimes it is called “pressure” in keyboards) after a note is struck and add some expression/modulation to the sound. Think of it like a mod wheel that allows you to keep your both hands on the keys and that springs back to zero.

They fixed the tuning issue in the last firmware. I think its a better sounding synth, and better built that the 08 by quite a margin (great reverb as well). It can also wander into the prophets brassy territory too. Would choose it over the rev2 if it was only going to be one synth...but I do like the curtis, also very limited modulation in the korg, no sequencer either ( can always use a pedal for AT, not ideal though) ...slutz buy both
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump