The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Synths for sale     Latest  Trending
Rev2 or not to Rev2 in 2019
Old 5th June 2019
Gear Guru

In a “consolidation” move, I gave up my Tetras and Tempest. The idea being that a Prophet 12 module (which I love) would be enough of that.

It’s safe to say that I’ll spend the second half of my year’s synth budget on a 8 voice REV2 this Christmas.

I miss it!
Old 5th June 2019
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by vlz View Post
yep, that was me last year... then I got the other 8 voices, and was even happier.
haha i bet!!! monster synth
with the music i make i don't think i'll hit a wall at 8. never have before.
it's on my mind, but have some other gear higher up on the list.
Old 5th June 2019
vlz
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehallmonitor View Post
haha i bet!!! monster synth
with the music i make i don't think i'll hit a wall at 8. never have before.
it's on my mind, but have some other gear higher up on the list.
Just start making some stacked patches...
Old 5th June 2019
Deleted cec0d5b
Quote:
Originally Posted by zerocrossing View Post
It’s safe to say that I’ll spend the second half of my year’s synth budget on a 8 voice REV2 this Christmas.
Unless of course Mr. Smith has a new product announcement before then.
Old 6th June 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted cec0d5b View Post
Unless of course Mr. Smith has a new product announcement before then.
REV3!
Old 6th June 2019
Here for the gear
Quote:
REV3!
Rev2 is a kind of celebration Edition.
As far as I know, there is not scheduled a REV3 in the short/medium term...
Old 6th June 2019
Deleted cec0d5b
Quote:
REV3!
Prophet 13.

Will it make it to the moon? Tune in to find out...
Old 6th June 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by markodarko View Post
Prophet 13.

Will it make it to the moon? Tune in to find out...
Kidding aside, I wonder what a Prophet 12 with the filters and oscillators from the X would be like. What if they did a dual oscillator type design like the Evolver or Prologue? Put in the mod sequencer too. Would I want to replace my 12 with it? I guess it would depend on price and size. The 12 module is nice and tiny.

OTOH, I’m starting to feel G.A.S. fatigue. I miss that controversial DSI Curtis based sound, but the 12 does get me in the ball park. I’m not even sure where a Prophet 8 would go... I’d probably have to do the dual Tetra thing again. I’m really loving my current set up, so we’ll see. Maybe I just stay with what I have.
Old 6th June 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3Valt View Post
Rev2 is a kind of celebration Edition.
As far as I know, there is not scheduled a REV3 in the short/medium term...
I’m mostly joking... but we know they’re working on something... BUT WHAT!?
Old 6th June 2019
Deleted cec0d5b
Quote:
OTOH, I’m starting to feel G.A.S. fatigue. I miss that controversial DSI Curtis based sound, but the 12 does get me in the ball park. I’m not even sure where a Prophet 8 would go... I’d probably have to do the dual Tetra thing again. I’m really loving my current set up, so we’ll see. Maybe I just stay with what I have.
Dude... did you just figure out how to directly post to GS from a thought tangent?
Old 6th June 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted cec0d5b View Post
Dude... did you just figure out how to directly post to GS from a thought tangent?
Oh no, I’ve been quite adept at that for years!
Old 7th June 2019
Rev2 owners I've started sort of an ongoing project of weekly free patches that all have a familiar track hook or chord progression programmed into the sequencer.

It's called "Sessions". Basically they're free patches; a weekly upload of some patches for anyone to download and Jam with.

I just started this week. there's 3 patches named after their reference artists/tracks. Eric Prydz under his Pryda alias, Deadmau5, and Relation / LifeLike. (The Relation Patch needs a bit more work, but still has a nice bass to Jam with so figured share it anyways).
- Oh also wanted to mention, Mod wheel and after touch. almost required to fully enjoy these.

They're pretty accurate recreations for the most part. Some of these you might simply tweek the knobs and cue up your own beat and jam / remix. There's always 2 parts, so I try to pick tracks that have some kind of fun lead or bass to play along with. The sequencer on both parts is programmed for reference or to play along with. Pryda's track Melo is my all-time favorite track, in all aspects. (especially production). So of course it's the first one I made. - that one deserves a direct link here: Pryda_ Melo

Bare in mind, the limitations of the sequencer limit which tracks would make for a good Patch. It all depends on the hook / chord progressions and elements of the track. Anyways. I've had some fun with these and i think you will too, especially if you're familiar with the tracks / artists.
there's links to the original tracks on Sessions page too.
http://www.majoroscillator.com/sessions
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

I’m sure it would be fun to split the keyboard and stack 8 voices!
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
If you read though any DSI thread that’s about the modern Curtis based synths, you’ll find scores of posts about people either loving or hating that filter based on it’s character and I can’t remember reading another post that could call it “vanilla.” I can attest that it definitely had a personality of its own that puts its sonic signature on an oscillator, whether it’s the internal Curtis DCOs, DSP oscs from the Prophet 12 or the digital waves from the Evolver or Tempest (I’ve owned or still own all of these).

Anyway, I guess I have enough experience (starting with a Juno 106 in 83) to let you know that the character of the REV2’s filters can be noticed a mile away. Of course, there’s more to any synth’s character than it’s filter, but that one seems pretty obvious and distinct. I can also tell you that I’ve got Moog 24db ladder, 303, ARP, SEM (in a ATC-X), the Prophet style in my Prophet 6 and Pro 2, a modern Obie in the Pro 2, two Novation filters in my Bass Station 2 and the super flexible filter of the 002. That’s not including the scores of different filter types I have in plugins. Every filter is a bit different, but among those mentioned, I’d easily say that the Curtis filters sound more distinct to me than most. Whether you like them is a subjective thing, and I can see why someone wouldn’t... but to call them “vanilla...” I think you’ll have a hard time finding someone who agrees with you on that.
How would you describe the distinctness of the Curtis Filter Sound? I've read you repeatedly commenting on this over the years, but don't quite have a clear picture of what it is you're on about.....?
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
In a “consolidation” move, I gave up my Tetras and Tempest. The idea being that a Prophet 12 module (which I love) would be enough of that.

I miss it!
Hold off, hold off... There may be more in the mix by then from Sequential.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search