The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
DUNE3: the Virus TI killer
Old 21st December 2018
Lives for gear

DUNE3: the Virus TI killer

DUNE3 is pretty wow. Although a long time Virus TI fan, I'm calling this the Virus killer. Dual filters, more filter modes, more filters on the FX chain. This is great stuff. Of course it doesn't sound exactly the same as a TI, its sounds like someone turned the TI into a VST.
Old 21st December 2018
Lives for gear

Not until Dune3 is on dedicated DSP hardware...
Old 21st December 2018
Lives for gear

Dune 3 is great , so is/was dune 2

Ohh , imho every decent vsti can be considered a virus killer
Old 21st December 2018
Lives for gear

Too funny. GS and others keep saying Virus is dead but mine fires up everytime I enjoy it. Played it this morning, in fact. It won't ever be replaceable by software for me. It's a timeless instrument and a hall of fame synth.
Old 21st December 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowkast View Post
Too funny. GS and others keep saying Virus is dead but mine fires up everytime I enjoy it. Played it this morning, in fact. It won't ever be replaceable by software for me. It's a timeless instrument and a hall of fame synth.
Yeah it is. The popular comment is say a Virus sounds like an early VST. Yet it has a character about it where VSTs often are sterile in comparison. Its not the illusion of hardware knobs, its the sound.
Old 21st December 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentleclockdivid View Post

To me, the dual filters in flexible series/parallel sets it apart. Anything not offering dual filters with independent control cannot compete with a Virus TI. That's a lot of VSTs knocked out of competition.
Old 21st December 2018
Lives for gear
Dune3 the Virus killer?
Old 21st December 2018
Lives for gear

Sure it's a great instrument , feature packed etc... and get's the job done and most of all :..it's physical hardware .

That being said , I never understood why people are so lyrical about the virus .
p.s. I was in the Nord lead camp from day 1

ANd yes , Dune 3 is amazing , everyhting from it's filters to osc's and effects ..
Old 21st December 2018
Lives for gear
Watch this full video, then realize what you're missing. Lifetime synth-period:

Joe Hertz gives a quick masterclass on the Access Virus TI2 synth

You can touch it.
Old 21st December 2018
Gear Guru

silly people, you can't kill a Virus, they're like Terminators, just keep coming back and standing up to whatever you can throw at them..
Old 21st December 2018
Gear Nut

Not quite, Dune 3 sounds good but my Virus Ti beats it.
Old 21st December 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaveItAll View Post
To me, the dual filters in flexible series/parallel sets it apart. Anything not offering dual filters with independent control cannot compete with a Virus TI. That's a lot of VSTs knocked out of competition.
Massive, Largo, Serum, Sylenth, Omnisphere, Hive, Zebra, Nave and Komplexer all have dual serial/parallel filters, to name a few. It's been a pretty standard feature in softsynths for close to a decade.
Old 21st December 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnalvl View Post
Massive, Largo, Serum, Sylenth, Omnisphere, Hive, Zebra, Nave and Komplexer all have dual serial/parallel filters, to name a few. It's been a pretty standard feature in softsynths for close to a decade.
I don't know all the VSTs but Massive is completely awful IMO and Sylenth (which is great) does not have dual filters, it has 2 layers which have one filter and can't do serial.
Old 21st December 2018
Lives for gear

Massive is far from awful, really. It has its own character, and it can do a LOT of very interesting things. Just check any of the demos here: Mikael Adle Leap Into The Void - Eclectic sound sorcery for AU and VST instruments
Old 21st December 2018
Lives for gear

Massive awful? Lol oh please. It is phenomenal on cut through with ragged edges. Imho massive is the sound of a generation.
Old 21st December 2018
Gear Maniac
I've seriously lost count of the number of VST being touted as a 'Virus killer'. Meanwhile, the Virus is still going strong and is still in use in major studios, onstage and can be heard in countless tracks. I myself have Sylenth, Massive, Serum and Zebra and I still find myself using My Polar more often than those 3 combined.

Why don't we stop worrying about what VST is going to kill the Virus(hint: I doubt that will ever actually happen) and focus on what makes that VST unique and useful?

Last edited by dj.anti.matter; 21st December 2018 at 11:38 PM..
Old 21st December 2018
Lives for gear

Listening to this demo it does seem to have a Virus vibe to it.
Old 21st December 2018
Lives for gear

There's never going to be a Virus or other hard VA killer for one simple reason. Hardware. Two completely different experiences that can't be traded for the other.
Old 21st December 2018
Lives for gear

Maybe it's just a Virus Snow killer
Old 21st December 2018
Gear Maniac
I agree that Dune 3 is a spectacular sounding synth. Really like the color of the tones. Wavetables, filters and effects are great! I would take one or two additional ADSR envelopes but, in the meantime, I guess that two MSEG can do the job : one on note on and one on note off to simulate ADSR...
Old 21st December 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentleclockdivid View Post

also every decent Virus TI can be considered a vsti killer.
Old 23rd December 2018
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by monomer View Post

Listening to this demo it does seem to have a Virus vibe to it.

Which begs the question...Is it a virus killer (lol), or simply a virus nut-hugger?

Last edited by TRSC; 23rd December 2018 at 07:21 PM..
Old 23rd December 2018
Lives for gear
For the price of an Access Virus TI2 keyboard. You could buy a Korg Minilogue together with a Behringer DM6. Alternatively you could buy either a Sequential REV2, Novation Peak or a Korg Prologue. And there would be still be some change left which you could use to pick up Dune 3 or Spire.
Old 23rd December 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dj.anti.matter View Post
Why don't we stop worrying about what VST is going to kill the Virus(hint: I doubt that will ever actually happen) and focus on what makes that VST unique and useful?
What happens when the chips for the Virus TI finally run out?
Old 23rd December 2018
ime, none of the virus-ey vstis, or ones that are usually touted as such, sound like one. tried em all, in attempt to make my life simpler, i.e. avoid squezzing yet another hw piece in my crowded place. had Virii on extended loan,, and now i have to buy one of my own..

the detail in sw may be there that somewhat evokes it, i.e. you can recognize they were going for it, but overall tonality, dimensionality if you will, and the way Access hw sits in the mix is completely different (read: better).
Old 23rd December 2018
For the last few years my virus was a second sound source and I did most sound design in Omnisphere. My PC died and for the last 3 months I have been just using an mpc live and virus and it is the most fun I have had in years. Also love that everything I'm making I can take out and gig without bouncing and processing before hand.
Old 23rd December 2018
Lives for gear
The Virus TI doesn't sound better than most commercial VSTi out there. In fact with a high quality sound card, plugins can work at a higher definition than the virus. The Virus is a plugin in a box, just like the Nord Lead. It doesn't make its price less justified, it's a dedicated piece of hardware with powerful DSP and it obviously has a cost associated with it. But nobody should pretend "it sounds better" because it's simply false. People here also forget the Virus TDM. What are they going to say? that their TI sound better than the TDM? it makes no sense, it's the same engine.
Old 23rd December 2018
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by HaveItAll View Post
What happens when the chips for the Virus TI finally run out?
They'll build another hardware platform and carry on.
Old 23rd December 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dj.anti.matter View Post
They'll build another hardware platform and carry on.
Uli will get the chip remanufactured?
Old 23rd December 2018
Lives for gear

Of all the Virus-like VSTs out there, I prefer Spire with its awesome sounding set of filters, which includes the Virus knockoff one. Does it kill the Virus? (An antivirus! ) No.

The VSTs all sound great in their own right, but they do sound different from the Virus. Which you get just depends on which sounds best to you, what your workflow is, what your use case is, etc. That's all there is to it.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search