The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Safe to store analog and digital synths in cold for a few days? Keyboard Synthesizers
Old 5 days ago
Safe to store analog and digital synths in cold for a few days?

Hi all. I’m about to start framing my basement, where I currently have my little studio setup. I’d like to store a few synths on our uninsulated sun porch, but wanted to check here to make sure the cold we’re experiencing the NE United States won’t do any harm. The low will be in the 20s for the next few nights and highs will be in the upper 30s.

Specifically, it would be a Prophet 600, Yamaha SK-15, JV-90 (rompler), and an vintage combo organ.

Oh, and how about my iMac?

Thanks much!
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

They will be fine. Your biggest worry should be condensation when you bring them back inside.

If you are running a humidifier stop running it the day you bring them inside and allow everything to gradually warm back up.

Remember at one point all your gear was sitting in hold/cold warehouses, trucks, shipping containers etc
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

I wouldn't let them freeze. I'd be worried about condensation.
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Aside from condensation, the only other thing to be ginger with would be any labels that are glued on... some glues fail if they freeze.
Do you have a friend that would hold them for a couple of days? Or shove them under your bed or something?
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

and too much heat isn't good for LCDs with zebra stripe contacts.
Old 5 days ago
Gear Maniac

Condensation when you bring them back into a warm area may be a concern. Just leave them powered off and unplugged for a while (a day, if you want to be safe) after you bring them back in. It won't be massive amounts of water -- more like as if you were to breathe on a cold window -- but it can cause malfunctions, especially if there's any old residue on the circuit boards. As mentioned, some old glues can lose their grip in the cold, but I wouldn't personally worry too much about any label that's in good condition and not starting to fall off now. Some plastics can become brittle when cold, so place things where they won't fall over. Other than that, I wouldn't worry too much -- the electronics will be fine, just take some care with the housings. Liquid crystal displays will respond sluggishly when cold, and MAY turn black -- but they should be fine when they warm up again.

The conditions you describe aren't really *that* harsh for electronics... think of all of the "infotainment" junk in modern cars, and what that has to endure (going from below freezing, to cranked-up-heat, and back again, etc.).

If you're going to lose sleep over the gear, however, I'd third the suggestions to stick it in a corner, under a bed, at a friend's, etc.
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

I am inclined to believe they would be fine, as they need to be able to handle the same conditions in shipping.

However if you were concerned, it doesn’t sound like all that much stuff to where you couldn’t just stick it in the corner of the living room or whatever for the time being?
Old 5 days ago
Some LCDs can crack or otherwise get damaged in the cold.

Pete

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search