The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Does anybody know, why Mr. Kakehashi named his company Roland?
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoardsOfBurnley View Post
That’s true that. It’s probably the only synth brand I’d have on a t-shirt and still think I look quite cool. Whenever I see people in moog or Korg shirts, I always think ‘dork’. But then, I am pretty irrational and kinda an arsehole.
I'm in the same snobbish club. After Korg released all these toy synths I wouldn't be seen dead with a Korg t-shirt, and Moog is for wannabe hipsters.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by wagoo View Post

Plus this joke doesn't really work as "Roland" has an 'l' in it anyway..
lorand then
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Once upon a time it was thought one simply couldn’t row on land. Rowing was for the water. Japan being an island nation, this tradition was too limiting. Mr. Kakehashi felt this way deep in his island nation born bones.

“Let my people row”, he was heard shouting as he traveled across the Japanese land, assessing his country folks readiness to row on land.

“Row on land”, he mused...

“Sound waves will be our water and the people shall row on land!”, he exclaimed to all who would listen.

Okiko, the bright eyed executive secretary accompanying him and taking notes, leaned in and whispered, “Row land, Ikutaro-san?”...

And, after a long pause... he answered with a confidence she had never witnessed before.

“Roland, Ok!?”, he replied, using her shortened nickname that he had just recently started using, and the inflection was off.

“Oh, I’m so happy, you’ve finally decided!”, she shouted. “The people will love Roland Ok!”, she added.

And, he nodded in agreement, already deep in thought at the possibilities... it was more than OK, way more!

Early the next morning before work, to show off her initiative to Ikutaro-san, Ok had 10,000 new company letterheads printed with the bold new company name;

Roland Ok!

Well... the rest is just unembellished history.

Old 1 week ago
PES
Lives for gear

TRS

There was a growing hype around That Roland Sound, so he figured he should cater to that market. Managed to register the name before anyone else, and has been reaping the rewards ever since (as have we).

Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search