The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Yamaha DX7 IIFD Octave Shift? Keyboard Synthesizers
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac
Yamaha DX7 IIFD Octave Shift?

Is there a way to easily shift the octaves on DX7 II like on a MIDI master keyboard? I want to use mine as a master key board but I can't figure out how to do this easily.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
DX7 II with E! midi controller mode

Does yours have the “E!” Upgrade?

Mine does, and I'm not familiar with the non-E! version. I think transmit transpose is one of the features that E! enabled but I'm not sure.

Hit Edit>Voice Mode. Change Dest to Midi 01 (or whatever channel you want to transmit on). Then set Transpose to + or - the transpose amount, up to +/- 24 steps.

Note that the normal non-E! MIDI notes continue to play without transposition on the MIDI channel set at Edit>MIDI 1. You'll want to set that to OFF if you are using the Edit>Voice Mode MIDI controller feature.
Attached Thumbnails
Yamaha DX7 IIFD Octave Shift?-img_5057.jpg  

Last edited by Jeff D.; 1 week ago at 07:22 AM.. Reason: Added info
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac
Mine is E! Expanded as well. I was hoping for something a little bit more on the fly, without having to dive into the settings. Like how modern MIDI keyboards are.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbdlugoss View Post
Mine is E! Expanded as well. I was hoping for something a little bit more on the fly, without having to dive into the settings. Like how modern MIDI keyboards are.
Then there isn't. In E!, as you already know, it's possible to transpose MIDI output, but that's hidden somewhere in the multi settings. On vanilla DX7II - totally impossible, it always transmits 36-96 range.
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff D. View Post
Does yours have the “E!” Upgrade?

Mine does, and I'm not familiar with the non-E! version. I think transmit transpose is one of the features that E! enabled but I'm not sure.

Hit Edit>Voice Mode. Change Dest to Midi 01 (or whatever channel you want to transmit on). Then set Transpose to + or - the transpose amount, up to +/- 24 steps.

Note that the normal non-E! MIDI notes continue to play without transposition on the MIDI channel set at Edit>MIDI 1. You'll want to set that to OFF if you are using the Edit>Voice Mode MIDI controller feature.
Hi Jeff! Big shout out to you for the answer. Very simple. I had been looking for this, and the transpose when dest is DX didn't do it
Thanks so much!

To the OP, it's sweet that you have a DX, i imagine you love it's sounds! I love the keyboard itself too, so it's nice to have it control midi and octave shift
Top Mentioned Products
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search