The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
MPC Carry-on aircraft security. . . ? Drum Machines & Samplers
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

MPC Carry-on aircraft security. . . ?

Hi All,
I'm taking a holiday tomorrow and getting on a plane. I wanted to bring my MPC Live with me. I've assumed it won't be a problem, being little different to a laptop or a tablet. But aircraft staff may not know what it is. Any last minute advice about this? Anyone had any problems carrying on MPC-like equipment on air travel?
Old 4 days ago
Gear Maniac
There's no problem at all as long as you don't mind full cavity search...
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Bring the user manual and receipt just in case
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

i've traveled several times with the Live, and sometimes they will do a swab check, but usually, they never say anything, or ask what it is. "drum machine" is pretty universally understood. just make sure to put it in its own bin.
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

I've brought it through at least 10 flights, no problems. Only once at LAX I had to tell them what it was and get it swabbed. My advice is to get a case for the handling issues.
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Praxisaxis View Post
Hi All,
I'm taking a holiday tomorrow and getting on a plane. I wanted to bring my MPC Live with me. I've assumed it won't be a problem, being little different to a laptop or a tablet. But aircraft staff may not know what it is. Any last minute advice about this? Anyone had any problems carrying on MPC-like equipment on air travel?
One big issue is the Lithium battery inside the unit. Most airlines will give guidance on what type and size is acceptable. You need to check every airline you will use on your round trip journey

Lithium batteries have caused loss of aircraft on many occasions, normally related to bulk cargo causing fast fire spread

Old 4 days ago
Just took mine to the UK. You have to unbag it and put it through like you would a laptop or an ipad. If you are taking it none carry on the tsa will likely give your suitcase a wee search, they have with me before. Make sure theres enough charge to turn it on if asked.
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicBern View Post
One big issue is the Lithium battery inside the unit. Most airlines will give guidance on what type and size is acceptable. You need to check every airline you will use on your round trip journey

Lithium batteries have caused loss of aircraft on many occasions, normally related to bulk cargo causing fast fire spread

Thanks for this. I looked it up. I'm flying with QANTAS. They state:

"Lithium ion batteries exceeding 160Wh" [are not permitted]

Is that 160 Watt Hour? This is a strange unit for the general public to address, because most gear (including the MPC) doesn't state its Wh.

Being pedantic about this stuff, while I could be sleeping, I now have to remember how to calculate a Watt Hour.

On Akai's site, regarding power, it states:

via power adapter: 19 VDC, 3.42 A, center-positive, included
via battery: lithium-ion, rechargeable, up to 4 hours of battery life

Any advice on working out the Watt Hour for the battery just from this info? I mean, I expect it will be well under, but just curious.
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

OK, I wonder if someone wants to check this for me (it's just academic now, because if several of you have flown with it I'll give it a shot too).

So, 19V, 3.42A is the power requirement of the MPC. So, that's 64.98 watts. Correct?

If so, then watt hours is power multiplied by time, or 64.98 X 1 = 64.98 Wh. Correct?

I could be WAY off with this, I'm just curious - for now and for future occasions. 70Wh puts it well under the limit for what the airline permits.

[edit. . . though the battery lasts for up to 4 hours. . . doh! that means 259.92 Wh, which is over. But that sounds wrong to me, because the battery can't be that different to a regular laptop battery, can it? Am I off in thinking the battery would be 64.98 watts?]
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

"160 Watt/hour Lithium-Ion battery
Weight: 3 lbs/ 1.4kg"

MPC Live 2.495 kilograms

Unlikely the battery is that big for that rough example, worth checking exact spec if available

Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

I've been looking for the last 15 mins for a power indication for the MPC battery. I can't see anything anywhere. . . Any ideas xparis001?
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
OK, I wonder if someone wants to check this for me (it's just academic now, because if several of you have flown with it I'll give it a shot too).

So, 19V, 3.42A is the power requirement of the MPC. So, that's 64.98 watts. Correct?

If so, then watt hours is power multiplied by time, or 64.98 X 1 = 64.98 Wh. Correct?

I could be WAY off with this, I'm just curious - for now and for future occasions. 70Wh puts it well under the limit for what the airline permits.

[edit. . . though the battery lasts for up to 4 hours. . . doh! that means 259.92 Wh, which is over. But that sounds wrong to me, because the battery can't be that different to a regular laptop battery, can it? Am I off in thinking the battery would be 64.98 watts?]
Since the power adapter needs to both charge the battery and run the unit, it will not be the best source of calculation of battery capacity albeit double the capacity for the adapter is easily possible...

I see the AKAI site says the main unit is

"Weight
5.9 lbs.
2.7 kg"
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Since the power adapter needs to both charge the battery and run the unit, it will not be the best source of calculation of battery capacity albeit double the capacity for the adapter is easily possible...
Ah true. . . I didn't think of that. I am guessing it'll be under the limit, though I cannot find info on the battery power specs anywhere.

Quote:
"Weight
5.9 lbs.
2.7 kg"
Yes, but that's the whole unit? As you said, the battery by itself would weigh considerably less than that.
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Anywayz, I reckon its a safe bet. It's in the same league as laptops, I'd have thought.

I'll update you from Japan !!
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Ah true. . . I didn't think of that. I am guessing it'll be under the limit, though I cannot find info on the battery power specs anywhere.

Yes, but that's the whole unit? As you said, the battery by itself would weigh considerably less than that.
Yes the whole unit so it is unlikely that the battery is over the Quantus limit...

Worth ringing them and getting permission as any doubt they could refuse to carry...
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

It does highlight the need for exact specs from manufacturers. If your are selling portability then your Customers will want to travel, so help them with good info easy to prove via a web search showing unit pictures against battery details...

Also add battery details to the unit on a tag...

Last edited by SonicBern; 4 days ago at 03:21 PM..
Old 4 days ago
Gear Addict

Noting for flight next week.
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Your instincts were right; just a few adjustments and data needed.

Batteries have a rating in Amp-Hours (Ah) and mAh (milliamp-hours). That's similar to gallons of fuel in a fuel tank. The consumption rate in milliamps is also sort of like fuel in that the total time that it lasts is non-linear. The faster you draw it out, the disproportionately shorter the battery charge lasts.

When you multiply the battery voltage by its mAh rating, you get Watt-hours. For perspective, an iPhone battery is around 7Wh. A MacBook Pro battery is in the 55Wh neighborhood. The battery for an Ego electric lawnmower is over 400Wh, and a Tesla Model 3 has a 75,000Wh battery pack and uses over 230Wh in one mile.

Akai sure is keeping their battery info close to the chest. I don't know how we'll get this info without a teardown.

Last edited by MediaGary; 4 days ago at 05:24 PM.. Reason: fixed typos
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

we're around 50Wh for a Live battery.
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by xparis001 View Post
TA DA !!! Thanks!
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Dan Gill (xparis001)

If Quantus should view this thread, Dan is from AKAI so the unit is well inside your limit

Thanks Dan
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear
I left a new mpc1000 in oz 2007 as had overloaded suitcase in rookie error scenario. Be weight-aware fellow travellers. DropHideLose sent it on to the uk only they lost it. If anyone found it please return it so I can finish that beat i started, it was a guaranteed smash.
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

It's the BOMB...for making hip hop. It's why I only fly on Soul Plane. But Qantas. Qantas never crashed.
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MediaGary View Post

When you multiply the battery voltage by its mAh rating, you get Watt-hours. For perspective, an iPhone battery is around 7Wh. A MacBook Pro battery is in the 55Wh neighborhood. The battery for an Ego electric lawnmower is over 400Wh, and a Tesla Model 3 has a 75,000Wh battery pack and uses over 230Wh in one mile.
Thanks for all the info I'm not going to get the stats on the battery any time soon, but my guess is that it's not going to have 3 times the Wh of a MacBook Pro (the nominal limit for the airline I'm travelling with).

I'll give it a shot
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
I spoke too soon!! Thanks Dan.

OK, it's less than a third of the upper limit for QANTAS (which is likely to be normal for an airline).
Old 10 hours ago
Lives for gear

Hello from Tokyo
You have my permission to laugh at me about this. I got the MPC here without a problem, but I totally forgot that they output 110v here, and we are 240v in Australia. So I have finished almost 10 mins worth of sketches (trying for a whole EP while here), but my battery will give out soon.

Any ideas on stepping up 110 to 240 volts? Even better, any suggestions on a store to buy a step up transformer in Kyoto? I am heading there tomorrow.

Japan is beautiful! Thanks all!
Old 9 hours ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Hello from Tokyo
You have my permission to laugh at me about this. I got the MPC here without a problem, but I totally forgot that they output 110v here, and we are 240v in Australia. So I have finished almost 10 mins worth of sketches (trying for a whole EP while here), but my battery will give out soon.

Any ideas on stepping up 110 to 240 volts? Even better, any suggestions on a store to buy a step up transformer in Kyoto? I am heading there tomorrow.

Japan is beautiful! Thanks all!
I religiously forget my adapters whenever I fly. Usually, I just buy a new one at the airport.

the power supply is switching, so if you can find a clover leaf plug with a japan end, then it would work just fine.
Old 9 hours ago
Gear Addict

One of the reasons to tour with older MPCs is because they have auto switching power supplies.

You will need an IEC cable with the local flavor power connected.

My experience with MPC travel is that airport people love to swab them. Like ALOT.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search