The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Black Corporation Deckard's Dream users - are you still enjoying it? Keyboard Synthesizers
Old 29th November 2018
Lives for gear

Black Corporation Deckard's Dream users - are you still enjoying it?

Deckard's Dream is one a few synths I am seriously considering for my next purchase. I would love to hear from some of you DD owners. Are you still loving your DD? I would be buying a built one. For those who bought one already built, how is the build quality from Black Corporation?

There are not too many videos on YT, but this one has sold me on the sound:
Old 29th November 2018
Lives for gear

I don't know...I bought one this past weekend, but I won't be able to play it for a couple more weeks. I know they have had some OS issues, but they are releasing them pretty quickly these days (OS 1.29 I believe). Analogue Haven had the prebuilt for 12% off for Black Friday weekend ($3300), and I figured...you only live once. Maybe you could write them and see if they'll still do that. I don't care whatsoever how close it is or isn't to a CS-80, but it sure sounds fantastic to my ears in the demos. You can also join the fb users group for more user experiences. Deckard's Dream Users Group public group | Facebook

spam: Also, I'll be selling my Dreadbox Abyss, GRP A2 and Vermona Perfourmer in an effort to simplify my setup and free up $$ if anyone is interested (ship from US). All lovely synths, but I don't have emotional attachments to such things.
Old 29th November 2018
Lives for gear
I bought both prebuilt (serial #80 ) and kit, but I've not finished making the kit yet. The build quality is great, no complaints. If you are buying new they modified the circuit slightly on the second revisions to reduce heat so no fan is required and it's silent. Rev2s also use a DIMM style locking mechanism on the voice cards/PSU board.. which only really matters for shipping to be honest (I think it's also even shallower in depth?)

It's one of the synths I'm never going to get rid of.. beware there's still no manual, though (the CS-80 manual applies for the synthesis of course, and the menus available via the OLED are pretty straightforward..) I'd recommend joining the facebook groups to keep up with any minutiae.. Black Corp and the community are very responsive there for any support questions

I also haven't gotten the expander module for ringmod and such yet.. but I'd think most owners will end up buying this, so factor that into the cost
Old 30th November 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by wagoo View Post
If you are buying new they modified the circuit slightly on the second revisions to reduce heat so no fan is required and it's silent.
No fan? Oh thank you God! Does anyone have the exact dimensions of the Rev2 Deckard's Dream?
Old 30th November 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by donato View Post
Analogue Haven had the prebuilt for 12% off for Black Friday weekend ($3300), and I figured...you only live once.
Wow! Great deal! Congrats! I'm still on the hunt for an Omega 8 with the 8-voice CS80 filter-pack. The DD's demos do sound excellent; but, honestly, I was a bit disappointed when I auditioned one in person a while back. Hopefully, that was just less-than-stellar presets and bad headphones (and no FX?).

Still, in these days of $4,000 to $8,000 synths, $3,300 is starting to sound downright cheap!
Old 30th November 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by studio460 View Post
Wow! Great deal! Congrats! I'm still on the hunt for an Omega 8 with the 8-voice CS80 filter-pack. The DD's demos do sound excellent; but, honestly, I was a bit disappointed when I auditioned one in person a while back. Hopefully, that was just less-than-stellar presets and bad headphones (and no FX?).
I just saw am Omega CODE with the CS80 filter on Reverb (Studio Electronics Omega 8 customised 2016 Black/Blue/Green | Reverb ). I almost bought it actually, but after much investigating, there are still a lot of bugs with it that I'm not ready to live with currently.

The DD didn't have too many impressive demos on YT, but then I went to Soundcloud and really liked what I heard. I think the DD would definitely compliment my OB6 and Modal 002.
Paul Schilling | Free Listening on SoundCloud
Old 30th November 2018
Lives for gear

Nope... returned it.
Old 30th November 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Ruff View Post
Nope... returned it.
Would you like to tell us why?
Old 30th November 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quantum7 View Post
Would you like to tell us why?
I gave a detailed explanation in the other/first DD thread. TL;DR: very buggy, felt cheap, and most importantly, didn't sound like 3000 bucks.
Old 30th November 2018
Old 30th November 2018
Quote:
I just saw am Omega CODE with the CS80 filter on Reverb (Studio Electronics Omega 8 customised 2016 Black/Blue/Green | Reverb ). I almost bought it actually, but after much investigating, there are still a lot of bugs with it that I'm not ready to live with currently.
Yah, been eyeing the same unit. Please, elaborate! Sorry if off-topic, but I am VERY interested in what you found which discouraged you from purchasing????? (I don't care too much about "snappy" envelopes.) Is this part of some evil international conspiracy to steer me away from the DD and the Omega and FORCE me to order a Baloran The River?????
Old 30th November 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
I gave a detailed explanation in the other/first DD thread. TL;DR: very buggy, felt cheap, and most importantly, didn't sound like 3000 bucks.
I'm not sure what 3000 bucks sounds like, considering $100 software can often sound just as good as just about any expensive hardware synth, but regardless, if you thought that it felt cheap and buggy AND didn't like the sound, that is definitely a good excuse to return it in my book. I wonder if the newer Rev2 is built better? I hope so!
Old 30th November 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yah, been eyeing the same unit. Please, elaborate! Sorry if off-topic, but I am VERY interested in what you found which discouraged you from purchasing????? (I don't care too much about "snappy" envelopes.) Is this part of some evil international conspiracy to steer me away from the DD and the Omega and FORCE me order a Baloran The River?????
PM'ed you.
Old 30th November 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
I'm not sure what 3000 bucks sounds like, considering $100 software can often sound just as good as just about any expensive hardware synth, but regardless, if you thought that it felt cheap and buggy AND didn't like the sound, that is definitely a good excuse to return it in my book. I wonder if the newer Rev2 is built better? I hope so!
yeah, it's all relative. But it simply didn't sound as good as I would expect at that pricepoint. Also, I had a factory built Rev. 2, so...
Old 30th November 2018
Quote:
yeah, it's all relative. But it simply didn't sound as good as I would expect at that pricepoint . . .
Thanks for sharing your honest opinions! Much appreciated. I thought it sounded thin in the store when I demo'd it. Did it also sound thin to you? (I'll catch up on the other thread for the full story).

However, $3,300 isn't much more than an OB-6 and that certainly isn't the be-all, end-all to analog synths either.
Old 30th November 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
yeah, it's all relative. But it simply didn't sound as good as I would expect at that pricepoint. Also, I had a factory built Rev. 2, so...
Nooooo….that is not what I wanted to hear. I certainly do not like cheaply built products in my studio, but the demos sound nice to my ears. For $3750 I expect the build to be top-notch. I sure wish there was one in Boise for me to test....but as usual I always seem to be the only one in the area that has any synth that costs more than $500.
Old 30th November 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Thanks for sharing your honest opinions! Much appreciated. I thought it sounded thin in the store when I demo'd it. Did it also sound thin to you? (I'll catch up on the other thread for the full story).

However, $3,300 isn't much more than an OB-6 and that certainly isn't the be-all, end-all to analog synths either.
On YT I read that a DD owner sold his OB6 due to it sounding thin in comparison to the DD (he had them together in his studio). The DD sounds pretty fat in the demos I've heard, but now do not know what to think. Why does synth shopping seem to always be so darn difficult!
Old 30th November 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Nooooo….that is not what I wanted to hear. I certainly do not like cheaply built products in my studio, but the demos sound nice to my ears. For $3750 I expect the build to be top-notch. I sure wish there was one in Boise for me to test....but as usual I always seem to be the only one in the area that has any synth that costs more than $500.
I might actually expect the QA to be higher on professionally built DIY ones TBH. But the synth will still sound/feel the same. The tiny sliders and switches made it feel like some sort of "kid's first CS-80". Also, FYI, the factory built ones use different 3340 VCO clones and VCAs to the DIY ones. Not sure if it makes any difference in sound, but it's not been widely publicized.

The other clincher for me was the lack of built-in ring-mod. For the price, it absolutely should have had that. $1000 more for the expander is ludicrous.
Old 30th November 2018
Quote:
Why does synth shopping seem to always be so darn difficult!
I know, right??? It must be really hard to make a good poly. My Moog Slim Phatty polychain experiment is looking better and better (caveat emptor: it's not for everyone!). The River is really tempting, but I really like the compact form-factor of the DD/CODE/Omega machines, and especially the local available support from the Studio Electronics products. As Mutantt says . . . "¡Ay carumba!"
Old 30th November 2018
Quote:
On YT I read that a DD owner sold his OB6 due to it sounding thin in comparison to the DD (he had them together in his studio) . . .
Interestingly enough, it was while I was demo'ing the Deckard's Dream when I first had the opportunity to play an OB-6! I played them right next to each other, one right after the other using headphones to monitor. I liked the OB-6 better (but to be fair, the OB-6 has built-in FX, and I was auditioning the OB-6's factory presets using those effects). Go figure!
Old 30th November 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yah, been eyeing the same unit. Please, elaborate! Sorry if off-topic, but I am VERY interested in what you found which discouraged you from purchasing????? (I don't care too much about "snappy" envelopes.) Is this part of some evil international conspiracy to steer me away from the DD and the Omega and FORCE me to order a Baloran The River?????
The CODE sounds really really really good

It can be a PITA to operate

It can be buggy when editing

But it’s worth it
Old 30th November 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by drockfresh View Post
The CODE sounds really really really good

It can be a PITA to operate

It can be buggy when editing

But it’s worth it
the se poly has a rather old operating system, so you can not expect any miracles.
has been around since 2004 with a few cosmetic updates ..
update is not in sight.
Old 30th November 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by pppch View Post
the se poly has a rather old operating system, so you can not expect any miracles.
update is not in sight.
It will never be updated

But they did put out a computer editor which helps a lot

In time it will be a classic synth IMO
Old 30th November 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by drockfresh View Post
It will never be updated

But they did put out a computer editor which helps a lot

In time it will be a classic synth IMO
editors s*cks have what VST-like
with update I mean a new synth .. and not new firmware
Old 30th November 2018
Lives for gear

I played one and owned a CS-80. Doesn’t get close to the depth of the CS-80 but the Super Band Pass Filter Sound is good.
I decided to buy a new Code 8 OD with all of the Filter choices and got to retire my Solaris.

Studio Electronics is just where it’s at for Fat polyphonic Sound.
I have 2 SE-1Xs so I’m familiar with Fat Bastards. I tried to find other synths, 008R was tried too.
I should’ve known to save some flights and time and just go to California again.
Old 30th November 2018
Lives for gear
I don't really see what can feel cheap about a metal chassis with metal good quality faders.. only thing I can think of are the small buttons you use for navigating the OLED
Old 30th November 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by teamsterjim View Post
I played one and owned a CS-80. Doesn’t get close to the depth of the CS-80 but the Super Band Pass Filter Sound is good.
I decided to buy a new Code 8 OD with all of the Filter choices and got to retire my Solaris.

Studio Electronics is just where it’s at for Fat polyphonic Sound.
I have 2 SE-1Xs so I’m familiar with Fat Bastards. I tried to find other synths, 008R was tried too.
I should’ve known to save some flights and time and just go to California again.
You retired your Solaris? Did you sell it?

It’s a great partner to the CODE.

Analog and Digital heaven
Old 30th November 2018
Lives for gear

I don't know why phat = good. I never thought of that CS sound as "phat". It just sounds good in a clearly vco kinda way. If anything it's smooth and elegant. But yeah, you read this board and many other boards and you have people who love something and people who say it sucks. Hard to say without just taking the dive sometimes.
Old 30th November 2018
Lives for gear

The DD sounds pretty darn good to me.
Old 30th November 2018
Gear Addict

I had a CODE with the CS-80 Cards and now a Deckard's Dream. The CODE CS filter is not at all CS like as I have a CS-50 to compare. It is more an MS-20 LP and HP combo, not two LPs and two HPs as CS and the Deckard have.

The Deckard to me is far tighter and heavier than the CODE and can get real amazing formant and larger variety of sounds. Its Unison is Detunable unlike the CODE. The CODE has certain advantages with Moog, SEM and ARP filters and has a very modular sound to it, whereas the Deckard has a vintagey feel with its CEM3340 oscs. I've tried hard to match the Deckard filter settings to my CS50 and get pretty close but its really a different synth.

This is one bass formant patch I am using in a tune:

http://www.rewiremusic.com/Audio/Dem...eamFormant.wav

And cheesy Brass as well:

http://www.rewiremusic.com/Audio/Dem...k_Brass_01.wav

So to me the Deckard covers a lot of territory that mono and polysynths cover.

Dan
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search