The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Black Corporation Deckard's Dream users - are you still enjoying it? Keyboard Synthesizers
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quantum7 View Post
PM'ed you.
Hi im also interested in why you didn't commit to the omega code 8. would you mind sharing your thoughts with me as well? i was looking at that same unit on reverb and would really appreciate it.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Druck09 View Post
Hi im also interested in why you didn't commit to the omega code 8. would you mind sharing your thoughts with me as well? i was looking at that same unit on reverb and would really appreciate it.
I heard from 3 separate Code 8 owners that it was pretty buggy, and I just couldn't handle any more bugs in my life. Also, I was going specifically for the CS80 sound, and from the demos the DD seemed to nail it a bit more....especially now with the Expander. The Code 8 definitely sounds great though, and if I ever found a great deal on one it still may be in my future.
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Skilled builders that are UK based?

Can you guys recommend someone who could build this for in the UK? What would they charge for a job like this? Want to decide whether it's worth getting the DIY kit or not.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiltYak View Post
Can you guys recommend someone who could build this for in the UK? What would they charge for a job like this? Want to decide whether it's worth getting the DIY kit or not.
In almost all cases, if you are considering to pay someone to build it, it's better to just get a prebuilt unit. The labor costs just don't pencil out, unless your friend is willing to do you a favor. Plus you get full warranty with prebuilt; with DIY you're at the mercy of the builder (and community support, which is great btw) if something goes wrong.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
From a friend who did a DIY build...they saved about $500 doing it themselves. That may seem like a lot but it took quite a bit of time...over 60 hours. So unless you’re really passionate about building it yourself...and I get it building over 35 MOTM modules and a Hairball Audio 1176 myself you have to figure if it’s worth your time.

Build are pretty easy...but troubleshooting mistakes are maddening!
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
I heard from 3 separate Code 8 owners that it was pretty buggy, and I just couldn't handle any more bugs in my life. Also, I was going specifically for the CS80 sound, and from the demos the DD seemed to nail it a bit more....especially now with the Expander. The Code 8 definitely sounds great though, and if I ever found a great deal on one it still may be in my future.
i see i feel thanks!
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Well, it arrived yesterday. Got it all setup and updated last night. Played with it for a couple of hours.

OMG the sound of this thing - everything I was hoping for. It moves me on so many levels. Yes, I have to wear my glasses to see the screen and the navigation buttons are pathetic, but my oh my once the sound comes out it's just an amazing, nostalgia filled explosion of glorious VCO love.

I also can see how huge the impact of the expander is - I know it is just FX, but it's the right FX and the way it all integrates with the main unit is just the perfect complement to the workflow.

Finally, if you ever have the opportunity to do business with @ModularOverkill GRAB IT! Not only is the unit basically brand new (seriously, not even a fingerprint on it), he shipped FedEx Air with the most no expense spared over the top pro packing I've ever seen. Dude just rocks.

Can't wait to explore more...
Attached Thumbnails
Black Corporation Deckard's Dream users - are you still enjoying it?-dd1.jpg  
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by apessino View Post
Well, it arrived yesterday. Got it all setup and updated last night. Played with it for a couple of hours.

OMG the sound of this thing - everything I was hoping for. It moves me on so many levels. Yes, I have to wear my glasses to see the screen and the navigation buttons are pathetic, but my oh my once the sound comes out it's just an amazing, nostalgia filled explosion of glorious VCO love.

I also can see how huge the impact of the expander is - I know it is just FX, but it's the right FX and the way it all integrates with the main unit is just the perfect complement to the workflow.

Finally, if you ever have the opportunity to do business with @ModularOverkill GRAB IT! Not only is the unit basically brand new (seriously, not even a fingerprint on it), he shipped FedEx Air with the most no expense spared over the top pro packing I've ever seen. Dude just rocks.

Nice!!! A couple of quick questions. Is the depth of the expander the same as the prebuilt v.2? I think it’s only about four inches?

How are you liking the cheapo case? I was thinking about maybe getting one of those and finding a fabric I like to cover it.

Also I believe the depth of the case you got was 9”. How do you feel about that depth?
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by donato View Post
Nice!!! A couple of quick questions. Is the depth of the expander the same as the prebuilt v.2? I think it’s only about four inches?

How are you liking the cheapo case? I was thinking about maybe getting one of those and finding a fabric I like to cover it.

Also I believe the depth of the case you got was 9”. How do you feel about that depth?
Expander and main unit are flush - same identical depth. The cheapo case is great - very well built, sturdy and functional, and the 9" is perfect IMO, plenty of space to tuck in cables and the expander's little power brick.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:

Thanks man, much appreciated! But now you're making me regret selling it

I mentioned this before, but Schillings presets are a must have, I think he has two sets, and they're fairly inexpensive.

Last edited by ModularOverkill; 3 weeks ago at 11:45 PM..
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirdss View Post
From a friend who did a DIY build...they saved about $500 doing it themselves. That may seem like a lot but it took quite a bit of time...over 60 hours. So unless you’re really passionate about building it yourself...and I get it building over 35 MOTM modules and a Hairball Audio 1176 myself you have to figure if it’s worth your time.

Build are pretty easy...but troubleshooting mistakes are maddening!
I bought mine a couple of months ago on sale for $3300 fully built. Spending 60 hours of my life just to save e few hundred dollars was not worth it for me personally, but if you are passionate about building things like that, then I can see it being a fun project to be proud of upon completion.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ModularOverkill View Post
Thanks man, much appreciated! But now you're making regret selling it

I mentioned this before, but Schillings presets are a must have, I think he has two sets, and they're fairly inexpensive.
I will definitely check them out - thanks again!
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Is anyone using the DD mixed with guitars and vocals in Rock/Pop songs? How does it sit in a mix? Hearing demos of synths by themselves is only part of the story.
Old 3 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by ModularOverkill View Post
Thanks man, much appreciated! But now you're making me regret selling it . . .
Well, apessino really makes me regret not buying it from you!
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Nut
really think im gonna take the plunge on either this or the polykobol once i pay off my P12. you guys have really sold me on it.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Fortunately this comming week I will be blessed to have both The River and the DD in my home studio and will definitely be comparing the 2 very thoroughly. I may have to sell a synth to offset the purchase cost of The River unfortunately. As much as I love my DD, if I can get 90% there to the awesome CS80 texture that the DD gives me with The River, then I’ll probably have to let her go.
Did you come to any conclusion? Can The River get 90% there to the awesome CS80 texture that the DD gives you?

I'm asking because I'm awaiting the delivery of my The River and I'm considering ordering a DD...
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delta Music BE View Post
Did you come to any conclusion? Can The River get 90% there to the awesome CS80 texture that the DD gives you?

I'm asking because I'm awaiting the delivery of my The River and I'm considering ordering a DD...
I haven't come to any conclusion regarding that so far, as I've been busy both with learning The River and composing demos for it. I can say so far that it is at least in the ballpark of the DD....but without direct comparison (which I'll try and get to this coming week) I would say that having both The River and the DD in one's studio is a synth blessing for sure. Stay tuned, though! Oh yeah, you're going to LOVE The River!
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandomonium View Post
Here's an absolutely fantastic impromptu demo by Janne using Deckard's Dream with Kurzweil Midiboard.

It sounds very good and very nice but my apologies, no upset intended, it's just that speaking as the owner of two CS80's - this doesn't really sound like one - not to me anyway, but what do I know...!?
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by noddyspuncture View Post
It sounds very good and very nice but my apologies, no upset intended, it's just that speaking as the owner of two CS80's - this doesn't really sound like one - not to me anyway, but what do I know...!?
No need for apologies I assume. DD sounds really really nice as a new analogue synth while having the structure of a CS synth. But so far I´m of the same unpopular opinion and I really wish I wasn´t. I wanted the DD to be the one to crave for but my ears are telling me no.

From the few videos and audios that go in the CS direction so far, I think it´s something to do with oscillator sound and their overall frequency response. A real CS seems to sound sharp/thin/metallic/rich but at the same time deeply pushing in the bass, though the bass is not round but somehow narrow and stingy, hard to describe. Also the filters sound different it seems. And the DD envelopes seem to miss those spongy curves of the original.

And please those that use a DD don´t see my words as a let-down, it´s just what my ears tell me and if my ears are maybe dead I´m ok with that. Overall I think, if the differences are frequency dependent, Roman could address these issues in hardware mods.

And what I hear or not hear is not reverb or ring modulator dependent as in "boy - you just do expect instant Vangelis but you can´t", it´s really the core sound that !just to my ears! is not there yet somehow. And I´m the type of guy who can´t say yes if it´s really a no. As I wrote above I wish it was different and the DD was an instabuy for me after 20 yrs of wanting a CS80...
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Again, it's not a reissue. It's a DD, not a clone. That being said, Gordon Reid at SoundOnSound in this month's issue has a lengthy review and says it's more than close enough (and he has a CS-80), and many who own both say similar things. Seems like most reissue forum threads (AGAIN THIS ISN'T A REISSUE), some people who own the original try to justify the original by putting down the newer one regardless of what it sounds like. I think people need to enjoy it for what it is and stop comparing. Or if you do want to compare, do a side by side.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by donato View Post
Again, it's not a reissue. It's a DD, not a clone. That being said, Gordon Reid at SoundOnSound in this month's issue has a lengthy review and says it's more than close enough (and he has a CS-80), and many who own both say similar things. Seems like most reissue forum threads (AGAIN THIS ISN'T A REISSUE), some people who own the original try to justify the original by putting down the newer one regardless of what it sounds like. I think people need to enjoy it for what it is and stop comparing. Or if you do want to compare, do a side by side.
I had a friend or a friend from out of town spend some time with my DD last week. He owned a CS-80 for nearly 20 years. He told me that the DD is extremely close and highly doubted that anyone except perhaps long-time CS80 owners would be the wiser if the two were A/B'ed.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by noddyspuncture View Post
You seem to have a bit of a hobby trolling every Deckard's Dream thread and posting this sh*t over and over.

It's a complete non sequitur. As others have said, it is not a clone, it's never meant to be. No, it doesn't sound exactly the same. We get that. Plus it doesn't have the tactile control surface that allows you to bring out all the sound nuances in a completely analog domain.

Remember that what's inside Deckard's Dream has no resemblance to CS-80. Every single component is different. Every circuit is completely different, oscillators, filters, everything. Take this fact, then think how close it actually does sound, and that's quite amazing. But it does have its own distinct sound.

You should try to recreate Deckard's Dream with your CS (try using independent LFOs for each voice, try to recall hundreds of patches, try complete MIDI automation, try to retune it in 10 seconds, etc., etc.).
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

After a few marathon Deckard’s Dream (online) listening sessions, I’m of the mind that it has staked out its own sonic ground in a very crowded field. No matter what, it IS a brilliantly voiced poly synth to be reckoned with - especially and ideally when being controlled by a poly AT capable keyboard like the MIDIBoard. But, even so, a top contender none the less and very likely destined for its own distinctive classic status, which leans heavily on the CS-80’s by design.

Talking The Talk; Taking the dual synth concept of the CS-80 and laying it out in a cool looking and accessible rack (or desk) unit with tactile sliders and an immediate, well-implemented interface, packed with quality analog circuits at respectable price points was “Talking The Talk”.

But that wasn’t the end of it!

Walking The Walk; Easily producing such beautiful, emotive sonics and distinctively CS-80 character - merged with the NEW Deckard’s Dream sonic character (which I find perfectly complementary to the former) - is “Walking The Walk”.

IOW, DD TTT AND WTW, IMO, YMMV, RSVP, XXX, OOO!

Full disclosure; I’d love to have a Deckard’s Dream + Expander in my left standing synth rack.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Maniac
I think that maybe you should look up the definition of 'trolling'...

"posting inflammatory or off-topic messages in an online community"
"someone who purposely says something controversial"

In my post I wasn't rude or nasty, and I didn't change the topic or post anything 'controversial' - Jeeez! - I just expressed my opinion on a video...!

This smacks of the current political practice of name calling anyone who has a different opinion to yourself... "you can say anything and think anything you want to - as long as it's the same as us"

Suppose I was lucky you only called me a 'troll' and not a 'racist', eh...?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandomonium View Post
You seem to have a bit of a hobby trolling every Deckard's Dream thread and posting this sh*t over and over.

It's a complete non sequitur. As others have said, it is not a clone, it's never meant to be. No, it doesn't sound exactly the same. We get that. Plus it doesn't have the tactile control surface that allows you to bring out all the sound nuances in a completely analog domain.

Remember that what's inside Deckard's Dream has no resemblance to CS-80. Every single component is different. Every circuit is completely different, oscillators, filters, everything. Take this fact, then think how close it actually does sound, and that's quite amazing. But it does have its own distinct sound.

You should try to recreate Deckard's Dream with your CS (try using independent LFOs for each voice, try to recall hundreds of patches, try complete MIDI automation, try to retune it in 10 seconds, etc., etc.).
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
"someone who purposely says something controversial"
Forum dwellers are often traumatised by the internet's revelation that a lot of people are very screwed up inside. They're looking for a "safe space" and tend to have knee-jerk reactions and easily call "troll" anyone who disagrees with them. After spending time in a forum people tend to think of it as "their" space and make efforts to defend it from commentary that causes them discomfort.. It's how echo chambers are created and another proof that even so -called mature people are nothing more than insecure children when it comes down to it. I mean, launching personal attacks on someone because they said bad things about a synth that you happen to own... is not very mature. Or maybe you're just worried that the re-sale value of your goods will be hurt...tough sh*t!

Just talking in general here, not referring to anyone in particular.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear
DD in my opinion makes no sense having to stretch across to reach it like that.. a lot of space to stick stuff directly on that Midiboard and have everything easily live tweakable Those Midiboards seem to hardly ever crop up for sale in Europe though, sadly

Looking forward to getting the expander this year, anyhow
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Well, it arrived yesterday. ...

This image pushed me over the line. I want one of these now.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by maisonvague View Post

This image pushed me over the line. I want one of these now.
Mine will arrive tomorrow

However without the expander for the time being, because it seems to be difficult to find one in an online store in Europe
Old 1 week ago
You're going to get a River, maisonvague!
You don't need to want a DD!

Cheers,
Bert
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feinstrom View Post
You're going to get a River, maisonvague!
You don't need to want a DD!

Cheers,
Bert
Well, I'm also going to get a the River any day now but I also ordered a DD because I feel they are different beasts (or I hope so anyway because I can only rely on what I hear online). Maybe Quantum7 came to a conclusion as he owns both for some time now
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search