The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Synths for sale     Latest  Trending
Ensoniq MR Experts Help!!
Old 29th November 2018
Here for the gear

Ensoniq MR Experts Help!!

Ok picked up an MR-76 in the spring and i'm finally getting time to really take a look at this thing...just been straight up playing to try to shake the rust off from 10-years of not playing.

This is my first Ensoniq product...i'm used to Yamaha (Motif XS currently)...so forgive my cluelessness about how Ensoniq did things.

Here's the problem I think i'm having - I seem to be missing sounds. The manual has a complete list of all the preset sounds by name, and it also shows their bank addresses. Well I can't find any of the sounds who's addresses start with "INT". Scrolling though SoundFinder - "ROM", "GM", and "DRM" sounds are all there, but nothing from the "INT" bank (or whatever you call it). Is this because i'm doing something wrong - do I have to like turn on that bank or something? Or could it be a memory issue?
Old 29th November 2018
Gear Head

Have you tried a factory reset? Also, you could have an encoder issue. My MR rack suffered from that. It was skipping past sounds before it was fixed.
Old 29th November 2018
Here for the gear

Yes I did a factory reset when I first got it. I had thought about trying that again. As for the encoder - that would be random. It wouldn't skip exactly every single INT sound.

But i'm not crazy right - I should be able to select sounds who's addresses start with "INT"?
Old 29th November 2018
Gear Head

Correct, it should not skip individual sounds. What OS version are you running?
Old 29th November 2018
Here for the gear

v2.11

Do you know where the sounds are stored physically? Perhaps I can just obtain a fresh EEPROM somewhere...or would I Have to replace the entire mainboard?
Old 29th November 2018
Gear Head

That is the current version. Are the presets showing up? Are the catagories?
Old 29th November 2018
Gear Head

It is possible that whoever installed the OS update didn't seat the EPROMS correctly and that could cause some issues. But to be clear, you have no presets at all?

The two best experts I know on this are: Home
he use to work at the ensoniq factory for repairs.

And Syntaur is good too.

Last edited by midi_maniacal; 29th November 2018 at 08:20 PM.. Reason: Additional information
Old 29th November 2018
Gear Head

I will check with some of my other synth peeps and see if they heard of this glitch.
Old 29th November 2018
Here for the gear

Alright I need to make sure i'm on the right page in terminology here...I come from Yamaha where we call sounds "voices". So this whole sound/voice/preset/wave terminology mess gets confusing to me.

I'll break it down:

In SoundFinder, I can use the left wheel to scroll through the categories (DEMO-SND, ALL-SND, and then all the correct categories, including drums), then within each category I can scroll through the sounds using the right wheel. This is where it's weird, because the manual has the sounds broken down by category too, and when I scroll through each category on SoundFinder, sounds are missing as compared to the manual. It took awhile, but I finally realized that all of the missing sounds are the ones addressed as "INTxxx:xxx". So to rephrase, when I scroll through sounds in each category, I find ROMxxx:xxx, GMxxx:xxx, and DRMxxx:xxx sounds as listed in the manual, but I can not find any INTxxx:xxx sounds that are listed in the manual.

Does that answer your questions? I don't know the differences, in Ensoniq-speak, between sounds and presets, if there is any difference. I'd love to be educated though.
Old 30th November 2018
Here for the gear

FIGURED IT OUT!!!

The INT bank is internal flash. Internal flash gets cleared with a hard reset. So when I first got the unit and did a hard reset to remove the previous owners changes, I cleared that flash.

When new, the MR ships with the MRD-100 disk that contains all the sounds stored in flash from the factory (obviously so you can restore those sounds after a hard reset). Since I got my MR used, it didn't include that disk. Now I just gotta find one.

Thanks so much for trying to help though!
Old 30th November 2018
PHG
Gear Addict

Your post just made me realize that my MR-Rack is missing these also.

It looks like this website has what you're looking for.

fumph.com: Ensoniq MR/ZR Archive

You can download the MRD-100 Disk or there is another link titled MR/ZR Flash Sounds, which I think is the MRD-100 sounds all in sysex format. Can anyone confirm if these are the same? Hopefully I can transfer these to my MR-Rack.

Syntaur used to sell the MRD-100 Disk, but I think it has been sold out for several years.

Ensoniq ZR-76, MR-61, MR-76, and MR Rack sounds and accessories
Old 30th November 2018
PHG
Gear Addict

You may be able to used these also.

Here are the contents of the floppy disk "MRD-1" released by Ensoniq (the same contents were also released as "MRC-1" ROM card format). It has 3 soundbanks with 180 total synth sounds for the Ensoniq MR and ZR. These sounds are unique, and were not included in the MR61/76/Rack built in ROM or Expansion cards, as far as I know.

Ensoniq MRD-1 Disk Contents

The files included are in these formats, which I am not really familiar with.

.ALL
.MF3
.MID
.RGK
.SBK

I only own a MR-Rack right now, which does not have a floppy drive. So far I can't find a way to get these sounds on my MR-Rack.

If anyone can load them in your MR Keyboard and post a sysex dump for those of use with the MR-Rack, it would be really cool.
Old 30th November 2018
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHG View Post
If anyone can load them in your MR Keyboard and post a sysex dump for those of use with the MR-Rack, it would be really cool.
I found both disks (MRD1 and MRD100 add-on) on ebay for $10 each. So I just ordered them. I haven't had a floppy drive nor an OS that supports one in like a decade so it will be cheaper and quicker to just buy the disks.

How do I obtain this "Sysex" product of which you speak?
Old 30th November 2018
Gear Head

Glad you figured it out! It is the same with the TS12/TS10...the disks reboot the internal sounds. Sorry I didn't think of it. I am also happy you found the disks for a reasonable price.
Old 30th November 2018
PHG
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRaven248 View Post
I found both disks (MRD1 and MRD100 add-on) on ebay for $10 each. So I just ordered them. I haven't had a floppy drive nor an OS that supports one in like a decade so it will be cheaper and quicker to just buy the disks.

How do I obtain this "Sysex" product of which you speak?
After the sounds are loaded on the keyboard, you would need to hook the keyboard up with a MIDI cable to a computer. Then run either program SoundDiver, MIDIQuest, MIDIOx, or SendSX on the computer. They should allow you to "sysex dump" all the sound data from the keyboard to the computer.

This video shows someone doing it with MIDIOx. (Free from MIDIOX)

YouTube

This video shows someone doing it with SendSX. (Free from Send SX | Bome Software)

YouTube

Those of us with the MR-Rack should then be able to do the reverse process to load the sounds into the MR-Rack.

If you make a lot of custom patches on the MR-76, it would be a good way to back them up too, in case they ever got wiped off the keyboard for any reason.
Old 7th December 2018
Here for the gear

Quote:
After the sounds are loaded on the keyboard, you would need to hook the keyboard up with a MIDI cable to a computer. Then run either program SoundDiver, MIDIQuest, MIDIOx, or SendSX on the computer. They should allow you to "sysex dump" all the sound data from the keyboard to the computer.
Just found this reply. Thanks for the info...I will work on this.

Another question - In addition to the MRD100 disk I also got the MRD1 expansion disk. It contains an additional 3 banks of sounds (about 180 sounds total). What annoys the crap out of me is that I can only load one bank into flash at a time...loading another overwrites the first. So that makes me wonder why they put these sounds in three separate banks to begin with? There should be plenty of space in flash for all three banks...so is there any editor with which I can extract the individual sounds from each bank and then re-pack them all into a single bank which the MR would then happily load into flash? Or is there any other way to accomplish getting all those sounds into the MR? Perhaps this Sysex solution?
Old 7th December 2018
PHG
Gear Addict

Quote:
Just found this reply. Thanks for the info...I will work on this.

Another question - In addition to the MRD100 disk I also got the MRD1 expansion disk. It contains an additional 3 banks of sounds (about 180 sounds total). What annoys the crap out of me is that I can only load one bank into flash at a time...loading another overwrites the first. So that makes me wonder why they put these sounds in three separate banks to begin with? There should be plenty of space in flash for all three banks...so is there any editor with which I can extract the individual sounds from each bank and then re-pack them all into a single bank which the MR would then happily load into flash? Or is there any other way to accomplish getting all those sounds into the MR? Perhaps this Sysex solution?
Awesome!

I think if you load the banks one at a time in the MR, you could do a sysex dump to send all the sounds to a computer. That should make an individual file for each sound, so it's very possible that you could then put all the sound files together in one bank on the computer, and send them back to the MR.

If Ensoniq split the 180 sounds in the MRD1 disk into 3 parts, that may mean that the flash in the MR keyboard/rack only has enough space for about 60 sounds at once. But I would be really surprised if the flash storage size is that small. Maybe they just split up the sounds for organizational reasons. So It's worth a shot to try loading all at once.

Please keep us updated if you make any break-throughs!
Old 8th January 2019
Lives for gear
Hey sorry to butt in but how do the Ensoniq MR sounds compare to the ZR-76?
This thread took me down memory lane!
I had number of Ensoniq products and Now I wish I had them back!
I think I had the ESQ1 the sq80, the DP4.
I ran my studio for years with The paris workstation
Wish Ensoniq could have survived.
Im playing keys in a band and still own a ZR-76 but the keys don't all produce a sound..and its like 80 lbs so I won't be taking it on the road.
Does the MR compare to the ZR?
I'd like to get the Mr rack!
Thanks!
And if you know anyone that could repair my ZR76 let me know!
thanks again!
Old 9th January 2019
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOURTHTUNZ View Post
Hey sorry to butt in but how do the Ensoniq MR sounds compare to the ZR-76?
This thread took me down memory lane!
I had number of Ensoniq products and Now I wish I had them back!
I think I had the ESQ1 the sq80, the DP4.
I ran my studio for years with The paris workstation
Wish Ensoniq could have survived.
Im playing keys in a band and still own a ZR-76 but the keys don't all produce a sound..and its like 80 lbs so I won't be taking it on the road.
Does the MR compare to the ZR?
I'd like to get the Mr rack!
Thanks!
And if you know anyone that could repair my ZR76 let me know!
thanks again!
The only differences between the MR and ZR are the favorites buttons on the ZR (they don't exist on the MR) and the Perfect Piano expansion card (it's not included with the MR).

TheSoniq and Syntaur both stock parts for the MR/ZR series, and I believe TheSoniq actually does repair work too.
Old 9th January 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
The only differences between the MR and ZR are the favorites buttons on the ZR (they don't exist on the MR) and the Perfect Piano expansion card (it's not included with the MR).

TheSoniq and Syntaur both stock parts for the MR/ZR series, and I believe TheSoniq actually does repair work too.
Thanks I appreciate it!
Old 28th January 2019
PHG
Gear Addict

Just bumping this again... Has anyone had any luck getting the Ensoniq MRD-1 Disk Contents dumped to sysex format that could be loaded on to the MR-Rack?
Old 16th February 2019
Lives for gear

Are there any sysex banks at all, period, for the MR series out there? I find everything in Unisyn format or native to the MR61/76 it seems.

Devon
Old 16th February 2019
PHG
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevonB View Post
Are there any sysex banks at all, period, for the MR series out there? I find everything in Unisyn format or native to the MR61/76 it seems.

Devon
Can you tell if the MRD-1 disk that I posted in this thread earlier in Unisyn format? I am not familiar with Unisyn.
Old 16th February 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Can you tell if the MRD-1 disk that I posted in this thread earlier in Unisyn format? I am not familiar with Unisyn.
The disks are for the mr61/76. Its in its native format. We just need someone to sysex dump the presets who have the keyboard. I really would like the mrd-1 presets as well, but buying it on floppy when i have a MR rack is useless, sadly.

Devon
Old 16th February 2019
PHG
Gear Addict

Quote:
The disks are for the mr61/76. Its in its native format. We just need someone to sysex dump the presets who have the keyboard. I really would like the mrd-1 presets as well, but buying it on floppy when i have a MR rack is useless, sadly.

Devon
I wish I had enough room, then I might just buy a MR61 Keyboard and do it myself.
Old 16th February 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
I wish I had enough room, then I might just buy a MR61 Keyboard and do it myself.
Stick with the rack. Ive read problems about the build quality on the keyboard.

Devon
Old 16th February 2019
PHG
Gear Addict

Quote:
Stick with the rack. Ive read problems about the build quality on the keyboard.

Devon
Good to know! The knobs on my MR Rack are a little jumpy, but otherwise, it seems pretty fault proof. The less things to worry about failing on these old synths, the better.
Old 17th February 2019
Here for the gear

Quote:
Good to know! The knobs on my MR Rack are a little jumpy, but otherwise, it seems pretty fault proof. The less things to worry about failing on these old synths, the better.
Disagree about the build quality comment. It's great actually. Remember, this was built in the 90's...well before the age of chinese plastic. The only plastic body parts on my MR are the end caps. Everthing else is some form of metal.

That said, my MR-76 is likely going to be up for sale soon so if anyone's interested let me know.
Old 17th February 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Disagree about the build quality comment. It's great actually. Remember, this was built in the 90's...well before the age of chinese plastic. The only plastic body parts on my MR are the end caps. Everthing else is some form of metal.

That said, my MR-76 is likely going to be up for sale soon so if anyone's interested let me know.
Ive read about jumpy knob problems on the mr keyboards at least. Cant recall off the top of my head some of the other issues i read. It turned me off from trying to find the mr61.

On that note though, you willing to sysex dump stuff out of your mr76?

Devon
Old 17th February 2019
Gear Nut

Personally, I think the keyboard is better than the rack. I have both and use the MR 61 as my master controller for my studio. The action is good enough and the aftertouch ok, but with the idea pad and the built in sequencer it is great.

The “idea pad” is pretty similar to the capture feature introduced in Ableton 10 where you can capture a passage you just played without recording it and send it to the sequencer. I guess some type of midi buffer. Pretty awesome feature to have. Though, I do wish it had the arpeggiator from the rack.

Regarding the encoders, the ones in my keyboard have held up better, I also find the larger data wheels easier to use and the overall interface better for editing.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search