The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Synths for sale     Latest  Trending
Behringer Neutron - how to update firmware?
Old 28th November 2018
Here for the gear
Behringer Neutron - how to update firmware?

Hi everybody, I'm using Windows 8.1.

I've proceeded as advised in the manual

a) start the firmware updater --> updater says "looking for neutron"
b) connect the neturon via usb cable to the PC and power it up while pressing the "boot" button
c) firmware updater says "neutron detected, click update to start"

when I click on update I get --> "cannot communicate with the Neutron. Please check you have the correct driver installed".

According to the Neutron manual the synth is class compliant, no drivers needed. There are no errors in the Windows device manager. There are no USB drivers at the Behringer/Music Tribe website for the Neutron.

Any ideas? Thanks
Old 28th November 2018
My bro bought a neutron and we had similar problems upgrading the firmware. In the end we gave up..
Old 28th November 2018
VST
Lives for gear

From the firmware release notes -

Quote:
The Updater detects the Neutron, but clicking on the Update button shows a
communication error message.
This issue is probably a result of the computer not having the correct USB drivers installed for the
Neutron. The following instructions describe updating the USB driver on your computer:
1. Download the USB STM Driver which can be found HERE:
2. Connect the Neutron to the computer using a suitable USB cable.
3. Run the STM Driver utility executable.
4. Ensure that Options → List All Devices is ticked.
5. Select “STM32 BOOTLOADER” from the drop down box.
6. Click “Replace Driver” This will install the version of the WinUSB driver that the Neutron
requires to be seen as the correct USB device.
Link to tool - Zadig - USB driver installation made easy
Old 28th November 2018
Here for the gear
Thanks.

Nothing against Zadig - but why do I need to install some 3rd party software to be able to run the Behringer Firmware updater correctly? Can't Behringer make a Firmware updater that just works?
Old 28th November 2018
VST
Lives for gear

USB issues can plague windows PC's. I imagine it has to do with all the different chipset drivers. Most people don't need to use but I had to and it's resolved my issues.

It's an applet and doesn't install per se. Just reconfigures some USB driver stuff.
Old 28th November 2018
Lives for gear

Probably a windows thing. Didn’t have to install any drivers on my Mac.
Old 28th November 2018
Gear Nut

I couldn't get it to work either, even with the usb diver. 'STM32 BOOTLOADER' wasn't an option in the drop down box, although 'neutron' was, but no luck. Should it work connected to an ipad via cck?
Old 28th November 2018
VST
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDubbel View Post
I couldn't get it to work either, even with the usb diver. 'STM32 BOOTLOADER' wasn't an option in the drop down box, although 'neutron' was, but no luck. Should it work connected to an ipad via cck?
No. It's not a class compliant device
Old 5th December 2018
Here for the gear

Must Have Neutron in Boot Mode To Run Zadig to Get USB STM

Quote:
The instructions are not clear for the firmware update if you need to install USB STM for Windows 7 because the Behringer firmware installer application has a communications error. The Neutron needs to be in firmware update mode before opening Zadig to enable viewing the USB STM driver.

1) Attach the Neutron to your computer via USB and power on so that the device will be recognized by the computer (it will automatically install the wrong driver).
2) Open firmware update 1.2.6 instructions
2) Download the latest version of the Zadig updator from the click HERE hyperlink.
3) Power off the Neutron.
4) With a paperclip (or similar) press & hold the recessed “BOOT” button on the back panel of the Neutron synth, power on the Neutron synth then release the ‘BOOT’ button.
5) Open the Zadig Application and, under Options, select "List Devices." With the Neutron now in firmware update mode, you should see the SMT32 Bootloader as an option from the top drop down list. Select this.
6) Click the "Install WCID Driver" button on lower right, which should be green. A pop-up window should appear saying it is installing.
7) Once the installation is complete, keep the neutron in boot mode and run the Neutron 1.2.6 installation program, which should now execute properly.
8) Reboot the Neutron once the update is complete.

I hope this helps.
Old 5th December 2018
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by geerhoar View Post
The instructions are not clear for the firmware update if you need to install USB STM for Windows 7 because the Behringer firmware installer application has a communications error. The Neutron needs to be in firmware update mode before opening Zadig to enable viewing the USB STM driver.

1) Attach the Neutron to your computer via USB and power on so that the device will be recognized by the computer (it will automatically install the wrong driver).
2) Open firmware update 1.2.6 instructions
2) Download the latest version of the Zadig updator from the click HERE hyperlink.
3) Power off the Neutron.
4) With a paperclip (or similar) press & hold the recessed “BOOT” button on the back panel of the Neutron synth, power on the Neutron synth then release the ‘BOOT’ button.
5) Open the Zadig Application and, under Options, select "List Devices." With the Neutron now in firmware update mode, you should see the SMT32 Bootloader as an option from the top drop down list. Select this.
6) Click the "Install WCID Driver" button on lower right, which should be green. A pop-up window should appear saying it is installing.
7) Once the installation is complete, keep the neutron in boot mode and run the Neutron 1.2.6 installation program, which should now execute properly.
8) Reboot the Neutron once the update is complete.

I hope this helps.
Thanks for your reply. It was all going well until the "Install WCID Driver" bit, when I got the communication error again. Tried it again but with "install driver" and it worked.
Old 8th January 2019
Here for the gear

Hi
Using Zadig, whenever I install WCID it says 'Failed (could not allocate resource)'. So can't get any further.
Neutron still getting the comm error.
Any ideas?
Thanks
Win 10, latest updates 8 Jan 2019
Old 8th January 2019
Gear Head

I don´t want to boot up with a paperclip in the back^^
It´s really annoying to update. I don´t get it to work and I am pissed off trying for an hour or two.
**** USB
Old 9th January 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by KomaBot View Post
I don´t want to boot up with a paperclip in the back^^
It´s really annoying to update. I don´t get it to work and I am pissed off trying for an hour or two.
**** USB
Why blame USB and the not the manufacturer for not creating a better update protocol ? It should not be a piecemeal afterthought regardless of who the manufacturer is.
Old 28th January 2019
Here for the gear

I used Zatig and the update was success,but thre has been a new problem with my neutron . any DAW of mine dont recocnz it as a midi device....
I have tried deleting its driver on "device manager",which has not make sense(reinstalled). could you tell me what to do ? thx
Old 3rd February 2019
Here for the gear
Quote:
Thanks for your reply. It was all going well until the "Install WCID Driver" bit, when I got the communication error again. Tried it again but with "install driver" and it worked.
Used zadig-2.4 as above. I found same as Dubbel - 'Tried it again but with "install driver" and it worked'
Old 23rd February 2019
Lives for gear

I have the same problem. I've now successfully updated to 2.0 but despite uninstalling drivers several times and rebooting both the Neutron and PC (Win10), I cannot get the PC to see the Neutron now as an instrument (the neutron software says not connected and it doesn't appear as an option in the Midi In and Out boxes).

Any suggestions?
Old 24th February 2019
Lives for gear

I solved the problem by not worrying about Behringer firmware updates. The Neutron is still working great.
Old 24th February 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by the donal View Post
I have the same problem. I've now successfully updated to 2.0 but despite uninstalling drivers several times and rebooting both the Neutron and PC (Win10), I cannot get the PC to see the Neutron now as an instrument (the neutron software says not connected and it doesn't appear as an option in the Midi In and Out boxes).

Any suggestions?
+1

Me and my brother managed to update Neutron using my MacBook instead of his PC, but Ableton + the Neutron App can't recognise the unit although Windows can see it. I tried it on my MacBook and it works great, so it's a Windows problem apparently..
Old 24th February 2019
Lives for gear

Yeah. Same here. I tried a factory reset too but even then the driver didn't install.

The standard driver Windows brings up gives an error report in the device manager. I've tried all available drivers in the Zadig app to no avail. I've uninstalled the bootloader driver when the device is in update mode too. I've tried different usb sockets on the pc/hub with no difference.

I'm going to try a midi cable for now- I have a spare port on my interface. Will see what solutions come up from there.
Old 24th February 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by the donal View Post
Yeah. Same here. I tried a factory reset too but even then the driver didn't install.

The standard driver Windows brings up gives an error report in the device manager. I've tried all available drivers in the Zadig app to no avail. I've uninstalled the bootloader driver when the device is in update mode too. I've tried different usb sockets on the pc/hub with no difference.

I'm going to try a midi cable for now- I have a spare port on my interface. Will see what solutions come up from there.
Seems Neutron doesn’t update or work properly using USB3 port at least for me, only USB2 and my main PC only has USB3. With model d and Deepmind I had no such issues which is weird.
Old 24th February 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomized View Post
Seems Neutron doesn’t update or work properly using USB3 port at least for me, only USB2 and my main PC only has USB3. With model d and Deepmind I had no such issues which is weird.
It's odd- I've had that on the error message. I'm getting nothing via a midi cable now either- though that could be a duff cable. Haven't used it in years..

Edit- it worked before I first updated it. But even with a factory restore there are problems with the device.
Old 26th February 2019
Here for the gear

After screwing around with the Zadig stuff, I was able to get my firmware updated. But the Neutron app still thinks there's no Neutron connected, and does nothing. I'm figuring I still have a driver issue.

Can anybody tell me a driver that works on a Windows 10 box, and where I can get it?

Thanks,
Steve
Old 26th February 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp2 View Post
After screwing around with the Zadig stuff, I was able to get my firmware updated. But the Neutron app still thinks there's no Neutron connected, and does nothing. I'm figuring I still have a driver issue.

Can anybody tell me a driver that works on a Windows 10 box, and where I can get it?

Thanks,
Steve
It depends on your USB chipset. With my main computer (that only has USB3), it's not possible to connect Neutron using USB or at least I haven't figured out how (I have messed around with Zadig but it doesn't help).

With my secondary computer, it works without any issues.
Old 26th February 2019
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomized View Post
It depends on your USB chipset. With my main computer (that only has USB3), it's not possible to connect Neutron using USB or at least I haven't figured out how (I have messed around with Zadig but it doesn't help).

With my secondary computer, it works without any issues.
Hmm... If it won't work properly with a ubiquitous interface, I'd say that's a pretty serious problem. Has there been any discussion/response from Behringer on this issue? I haven't yet tried hooking it up with my DAW, but I fully intend to and if I can't get it to work, I'll be pretty P.O.'d.

Steve
Old 2nd March 2019
Lives for gear

It took me almost an hour of tries to update the Neutron with firmware 2.0, but the Neutron's editor still doesn't see it as connected to the PC.
Old 3rd March 2019
Here for the gear

I did it on my mom’s Mac laptop. When i got home i could make changes as long as i had the MIDI in the Neutron app on PC done correctly. The correct way is neutron in and neutron out. Then you can do the lfo retrigger and stuff.
Old 3rd March 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pashcraig View Post
I did it on my mom’s Mac laptop. When i got home i could make changes as long as i had the MIDI in the Neutron app on PC done correctly. The correct way is neutron in and neutron out. Then you can do the lfo retrigger and stuff.
The problem is that the Neutron on my PC isn't seen as a MIDI device, so I can't select it in the menu.
Old 3rd March 2019
Lives for gear

My Neutron is going back to Thomann: the filter pot doesn't work properly and I'm unable to do a factory reset, 'cause the Neutron just keeps ignoring the procedure.

Defective synth + update and drivers' problems = farewell Behringer
Old 2nd April 2019
Lives for gear

Has anyone had any joy with USB and Windows 10 yet?

(I've also experienced this problem with my Blofeld- so presuming it's a Windows driver thing in general- maybe with USB3?)
Old 3rd April 2019
Here for the gear
Hurray! I've got it to work.

I'm on Win7, but maybe it's also worth a try for WinX users.
Also, my system (incl. Ableton) detected the Neutron, so this is maybe not of much help for you guys already having problems at this stage.

first, I followed the steps geerhoar listed
-power on Neutron with pressing the recessed Boot button on Neutron's back (use a nail, it's easier than using a paperclip)
-now Neutron is in 'Boot mode'
-open the Zadic application, under Options, select "List All Devices."
-with the Neutron now in firmware update mode, you should see the SMT32 Bootloader as an option from the top drop down list. Select this.
-Click the "Install WCID Driver" button on lower right, which should be green. A pop-up window should appear saying it is installing.
--end of geerhoar's instructions--
I still couldn't update the driver, so I followed JDubbel 's suggestion to run Zadic again, but with "install driver". Still no success.
I run Zadic a third time, this time Neutron was listed in the device list! Selected it and clicked "replace driver".
Now I put Neutron in 'firmware mode' (see above`) again, ran the 2.0.0 Firmware Updater, opened the Neutron App and it worked

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search