The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Prophet 12 Limited Edition / AKA End of the line Keyboard Synthesizers
Old 15th November 2018
Lives for gear

Prophet 12 Limited Edition / AKA End of the line

End of the line for the P12, I wonder what's next....

Sequential

Sequential is pleased to announce a special numbered, limited edition of our acclaimed Prophet 12 Analog/Digital Hybrid synthesizer — the Prophet LE. It features a custom, arctic white finish with maple end caps, making it a visually striking contrast to the standard Prophet 12.

The Prophet 12 LE will be strictly limited to 100 instruments worldwide and will commemorate the last of these synthesizers that Sequential will create. After that, the Prophet 12 will no longer be available.

Dave Smith had this to say about the Prophet 12 LE: “It’s nice to give the Prophet 12 a proper send-off with this special edition. The P12 was a real milestone for us in terms of pushing the synth envelope. As a hybrid instrument, it gave us a chance to explore the interaction of digital oscillators and analog filters and see how far we could take that idea. It’s still a great instrument and has found its way onto a lot of stages and studios, and into a lot of music.”

Sequential product designer Andrew McGowan recalled the genesis of the Prophet 12: “We’d just released the Tempest analog drum machine after several years of development, and we were turning our attention back to synths for the first time in a while. It gave us the opportunity to look at things with a fresh eye. Interestingly, when Dave and I sat down to draw up a spec, it was immediately apparent that we’d each been sort of designing the same instrument in our minds during our ‘time away’ — a hybrid synth with digital oscillators, dual analog filters, and new modulation possibilities. The Prophet 12 came together quickly after that and turned out really well for us.”

The Prophet 12 LE has the same combination of features as the original Prophet 12 — a bi-timbral, 12-voice architecture, with each voice boasting four high-resolution, multi-waveform digital oscillators, a sub-oscillator, analog low-pass and high-pass filters, analog VCAs, four envelopes and four LFOs, and a set of unique Character Effects for sound shaping. Linear FM capability was later added to the Prophet 12 as a software enhancement, giving the instrument even greater depth and making it one of Sequential’s most versatile poly synths.

The Prophet 12 LE will be available in December of 2018 with a US MAP of $2,999. A limited number of standard-finish black Prophet 12s are available while stock lasts.
Old 15th November 2018
Lives for gear

I’m still umming and aahing whether to get a P12. I don’t think it’d be this white version though.
Old 15th November 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by xanderbeanz View Post
I’m still umming and aahing whether to get a P12. I don’t think it’d be this white version though.
It's one of the few DSI/Sequentials I have never tried, I bet it's proper bonkers fun though!
Old 15th November 2018
Lives for gear
Isn’t $3000 a bit steep for a Prophet-12?
Old 15th November 2018
Lives for gear

Great news.
To be honest, never liked the sound.
So hopefully they make room for something better.
Old 15th November 2018
Gear Maniac

Will there be white Tempest?
Old 15th November 2018
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synthpark View Post
Great news.
To be honest, never liked the sound.
So hopefully they make room for something better.
Likely a new hybrid:

Remove the samples from the prophet x.
Keep the filter and effects.
Add P12, P2 superwaves, VS waves
???
Prophet W.
Old 15th November 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlson View Post
Likely a new hybrid:

Remove the samples from the prophet x.
Keep the filter and effects.
Add P12, P2 superwaves, VS waves
???
Prophet W.
I would prefer an analog flagship with 10-12 discrete oscillators and filters and effects like in the OB6/P6, with some improvements.
Old 15th November 2018
Lives for gear

but the LE has the X's tapered side cheeks.
Old 15th November 2018
i figured the end was near for P12. it was a solid run of one of their most interesting synths in my opinion. i hope there is a succesor with maybe P2 filters in the works.

possibly for next NAMM or SB, perhaps too soon after PX release, but one can dream. i'll give it a year to see if it materializes, if not i'll pickup a used P12, have been thinking about it for a longer while.

PS the special edition is kinda fugly. yet the original is one of the most beautiful synth designs ever. in general the clean white on synths is always cringe worthy for me, tho i like off whites like oberheims sems, four voices etc.
Old 15th November 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobule View Post
It's one of the few DSI/Sequentials I have never tried, I bet it's proper bonkers fun though!
Yeah, they're really complete, even though they lack effects in the traditional sense (aside from the quad delays). And they're a screaming deal used right now, to boot.
Old 15th November 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by clusterchord View Post
i figured the end was near for P12. it was a solid run of one of their most interesting synths in my opinion. i hope there is a succesor with maybe P2 filters in the works.

possibly for next NAMM or SB, perhaps too soon after PX release, but one can dream. i'll give it a year to see if it materializes, if not i'll pickup a used P12, have been thinking about it for a longer while.

PS the special edition is kinda fugly. yet the original is one of the most beautiful synth designs ever. in general the clean white on synths is always cringe worthy for me, tho i like off whites like oberheims sems, four voices etc.
I'm not sure I'd quite call it fugly, but it's definitely in that family IMO. It does kinda remind me of the Sunsyn though a little bit. There are some synths that I think look great in white, but yeah, the original P-12 is among my favorites. I still want one too.
Old 15th November 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:

Do you think it has “the hybrid” sound like the ESQ1/VS/Ambika/FZ1/HT6000 has, or do you think it has a different kind of sound?

It certainly seems very flexible, like a chameleon.
Old 15th November 2018
Lives for gear

PS I think this would look better in blue, with white text.
Old 15th November 2018
Lives for gear

Holy ****, what an ugly bastard. Almost bought one once, glad I didn’t by now. I think it’s good, just not 3 thousand bucks good.
Old 15th November 2018
Quote:
Do you think it has “the hybrid” sound like the ESQ1/VS/Ambika/FZ1/HT6000 has, or do you think it has a different kind of sound?

It certainly seems very flexible, like a chameleon.

in a word, yes its different. and this is exactly why i am interested in it.

while it share the classic audio path (pcm osc into analog backend to outputs), it does not have the classic gritty lofi hybrid sound or the pitch transposition algos they have (vs/ppg/waldorf/esq etc). different sort of dirt, harsh top, smoothness in mids, metal filter etc... by listening to more interesting compositions and sound lib demos in recent years, i'd say it floats in a unique side world btwn the analog and hybrid tones, a darkish, eeire, BoCish place if you want. killer for ambient.

i mean, early demos with classic analog renditions, showed the synth in quite unfavorable light, yet once power users went on a voyage to unknown, it started getting quite appealing. also, i played it in the store cpl of times, and each time getting something fresh was quite easy with its luxurious user interface - still undecided whether i should cram yet another big keyboard in my studio to get that wonderful UI, or just pickup the desktop, which i also tried programming with, and its very well made. not slow at all.

bottom line it is a niche sound, its not a huge sweet spot, so whether that justifies getting one or not, is of course individual. to be 100% honest, i am only considering it bcs of über low used prices now, otherwise its not a $3k machine to me, never was.
Old 15th November 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomized View Post
Isn’t $3000 a bit steep for a Prophet-12?
That is the normal suggested retail price...but I would bet anyone wanting to buy one would be able to achieve a better deal if they asked.
Old 15th November 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
in a word, yes its different. and this is exactly why i am interested in it.

while it share the classic audio path (pcm osc into analog backend to outputs), it does not have the classic gritty lofi hybrid sound or the pitch transposition algos they have (vs/ppg/waldorf/esq etc). different sort of dirt, harsh top, smoothness in mids, metal filter etc... by listening to more interesting compositions and sound lib demos in recent years, i'd say it floats in a unique side world btwn the analog and hybrid tones, a darkish, eeire, BoCish place if you want. killer for ambient.

i mean, early demos with classic analog renditions, showed the synth in quite unfavorable light, yet once power users went on a voyage to unknown, it started getting quite appealing. also, i played it in the store cpl of times, and each time getting something fresh was quite easy with its luxurious user interface - still undecided whether i should cram yet another big keyboard in my studio to get that wonderful UI, or just pickup the desktop, which i also tried programming with, and its very well made. not slow at all.

bottom line it is a niche sound, its not a huge sweet spot machine, so whether that justfies getting one or not, is of course individual. wanna see what DSI is going to do next first. (the Prophet X is completely uninteresting to me, from its sound to its features and general concept)
Good description, it gives me a good idea as i haven’t played with one in person.

That reminds me, this week I have to experiment with sampling a few waves at the lowest setting on the FZ1, then set the loop end point before the start to half the rate even more, and then closing those filters down with decent resonance.

I’ll report back on what I find!
Old 15th November 2018
Gear Nut
I assume this means they are killing the P12 Desktop module as well?
Old 15th November 2018
Quote:
Good description, it gives me a good idea as i haven’t played with one in person.

That reminds me, this week I have to experiment with sampling a few waves at the lowest setting on the FZ1, then set the loop end point before the start to half the rate even more, and then closing those filters down with decent resonance.

I’ll report back on what I find!

imo FZ filter is more interesting than P12 filter, but as always, its the whole package and old "more than a sum of its parts" philosophy that applies with P12, perhaps more than with some other boards out there.

i see it as a contemporary hybrid. not a glance towards past like 002 and Ambika. i truly hope that Dave continues with this range of instruments.
Old 15th November 2018
Gear Nut

Hi Dave,

Please release a Prophet 2020 next year that combines the feature sets of the Prophet 12 and Pro2. I’m talking flexible digital oscillators with flexible dual filters, routable in series or parallel. Give it the sequencing capabilities of the Pro2, and make it bitimbral. I can’t imagine a more useful musical tool. It would basically be a Prophet 12 deluxe.

Thank you,

Sad Darwin
Old 15th November 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Same here. It has been on the list for ages, but I've never pulled the trigger. It is a very interesting synth, and I suspect used prices for these will quickly escalate once stock is depleted.
Old 15th November 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by husker View Post
I assume this means they are killing the P12 Desktop module as well?
According to the DSI Facebook feed, the module version will be available for "a while" but no hard discontinuation date.
Old 15th November 2018
Lives for gear

this is effing superb and well worth your time of you like synths regardless of the genre on display - p12 and rev2

bye bye p12, bon voyage

Old 15th November 2018
Lives for gear

the LE is a proper minger and even worse in comparison to the OG which is a truly beautiful synth, even with this said i imagine they are pretty much sold already, 100 people will already be lined up for this
Old 15th November 2018
Lives for gear

What’s next ...

The Pro 2 and Prophet 12 should have a baby
Old 16th November 2018
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by drockfresh View Post
What’s next ...

The Pro 2 and Prophet 12 should have a baby
See above.
Old 16th November 2018
Lives for gear

Meh the wood looks cheap like plywood...

Old 16th November 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sad Darwin View Post
It would basically be a Prophet 12 deluxe.
Prophet DLX - “it’s Deluxe son. Delux. It’s not that hard”

Old 16th November 2018
Here for the gear

Wonder why they are discontinuing it?
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search