The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Prophet 12 Limited Edition / AKA End of the line Keyboard Synthesizers
Old 16th December 2018
  #121
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by John01W View Post
Come on Carson(read my reply to your post above first for details)

Implement Filter envelope slop just like the distortion(like I said in the post you replied to, it would be implemented like features ALREADY in the OB-6/P6).

Side by side comparison:

Distortion access:
holding button + turning mix knob....DIST in effect display...none are panel labeled

Turned on/off and effect incremented/decremented by turning all the way down or up

Filter ENV slop access(suggested implementation):
holding button + turning slop/detune knob....ENV in main display....slop/detune actually panel labeled

Turned on/off and effect incremented/decremented by turning all the way down or up

It's THE SAME implementation as the distortion effect but slightly better panel labeling! Filter envelope slop VERY much in the spirit of the lineage of the OB-6/P6...TONE and classic vibe modernized.



Modulation enhancement
:

LFO PER VOICE or LFO synced like current(or better labeled LFO voice sync on/off)

PANEL LABELED PROPERLY already on LFO SYNC button(fits your requirement!!!!!) Implemented it like UNISON voice number select. Hold LFO SYNC, use inc/dec buttons to turn lfo voice sync on/off(again, just like UNISON...and labeled properly)

Toggle LFO SYNC button: turns on/off LFO clock SYNC
HOLD LFO SYNC button: turns on/off LFO VOICE SYNC....(LFO PER VOICE ON/OFF)

LFO controls would be the same either way, master controls with voice sync on or off.

These suggestions MATCH current implementation of other features from the interface point of view, and the mod enhancement IS PANEL LABELED properly!
Can you post this on another thread, please? Thank you.
Old 16th December 2018
  #122
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbmd View Post
An analog oscillator with digital control of the pitch CV....DVCO?

In any case, the oscillator is analog!
And who doesn’t like analog!
Old 16th December 2018
  #123
Kja
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbmd View Post
Let's go through a little thought experiment with regards to those two proposed P6/OB-6 features.

1. Filter Envelope Slop - The first question would be how this is would be turned on/off. Would the filter slop be separate from the osc slop control?

Let's say that filter envelope slop could be set separately from oscillator slop by holding a filter associated button and turning the osc slop parameter up. This is a non obvious button combination with no clear front panel legend.

How would a user who's not familiar with the button combination react when they navigate to a patch and the envelopes do not play at the same rate across all voices. They would have no ability to disable the parameter and would assume that something is broken on the synth.

2. Modulation recording to the sequencer - The first thing to address would be memory space. I don't believe that we have adequate memory allocated per patch location to add one or more modulation tracks for the sequencer.

Assuming that modulation recording would be performed by holding the RECORD button and turning a parameter, how would one delete or remove any recorded modulation? How would one know specifically which parameter is being modulated from the sequencer.

In both of the above examples, there is no clear way to enable/disable/interact the new features aside from non-obvious button combinations which would have a no front panel legend to inform users of their operation.

No doubt, there are many different ways in which these features, and others, could be implemented. However, their implementation would go against the fundamental design ethos of the P6/OB-6. These synths were designed as knob per function interfaces with no menu diving and not hidden/obtuse/obscure button combinations.

I think it's easy to assume that features of this sort would be very easy for anyone to understand. Having worked for Sequential for the past 7 years, I can say with a good deal of certainty that this is not the case.

Just some food for thought! Glad you're enjoying the new features we were able to get into the P6/OB-6.
How about no new button presses? I agree and am on the same page as you, here is my suggestion;
Implement envelope slop, no filter slop, it's not needed, a lfo can control the filter. Also use the same slop knob for both, just make the envelope slop at a exponential slope for the first 15%, then back it off.. so you can get maybe at 7oclock on the knob the smallest amount of pitch slop but about alittle more envelope slop just to make it sound more "vintage", as the user goes up with the knob the pitch becomes more severe in slop as the envelope does as well but at a lesser rate. Then everybody wins. Also put a longer more dense reverb like the super plate, please oh please?
Old 17th December 2018
  #124
Lives for gear
 
xanderbeanz's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by John01W View Post
Come on Carson(read my reply to your post above first for details)

Implement Filter envelope slop just like the distortion(like I said in the post you replied to, it would be implemented like features ALREADY in the OB-6/P6).

Side by side comparison:

Distortion access:
holding button + turning mix knob....DIST in effect display...none are panel labeled

Turned on/off and effect incremented/decremented by turning all the way down or up

Filter ENV slop access(suggested implementation):
holding button + turning slop/detune knob....ENV in main display....slop/detune actually panel labeled

Turned on/off and effect incremented/decremented by turning all the way down or up

It's THE SAME implementation as the distortion effect but slightly better panel labeling! Filter envelope slop VERY much in the spirit of the lineage of the OB-6/P6...TONE and classic vibe modernized.



Modulation enhancement
:

LFO PER VOICE or LFO synced like current(or better labeled LFO voice sync on/off)

PANEL LABELED PROPERLY already on LFO SYNC button(fits your requirement!!!!!) Implemented it like UNISON voice number select. Hold LFO SYNC, use inc/dec buttons to turn lfo voice sync on/off(again, just like UNISON...and labeled properly)

Toggle LFO SYNC button: turns on/off LFO clock SYNC
HOLD LFO SYNC button: turns on/off LFO VOICE SYNC....(LFO PER VOICE ON/OFF)

LFO controls would be the same either way, master controls with voice sync on or off.

These suggestions MATCH current implementation of other features from the interface point of view, and the mod enhancement IS PANEL LABELED properly!
John, you have two great ideas there. I’d like to see an extra vibrato LFO, purely Triangle, nothing fancy, with it’s own rate.

Of course, one way to give everyone what they want would be to open-source the software. Users could add features/alternative firmware and decide whether to keep the machine stock or not.
Old 10th February 2019
  #125
Lives for gear
I Love the P12. So much when I heard end of the line I went and bought a second one to keep as spare, not a second though to it. Its what I Call the "Secret weapon" the majority of people don't know how to harness the beauty of this instrument so it seems to have been a poor seller.

Works great for producing Trance music etc.. I can pop out stems and whole compositions no problem with this bad boy. Add the Moog Sirin to the mix and you got a powerful arsenal.

I feel much better knowing I have a new spare in my spares pool.
Old 10th February 2019
  #126
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by daviddever View Post
Yeah, they're really complete, even though they lack effects in the traditional sense (aside from the quad delays). And they're a screaming deal used right now, to boot.
I really don't care about built in effects, why I have a rack of effects and also Apollo X now as well. I prefer to keep them separate, focus on the synth and let the effects be handled by the owner. Now the 4 delays are special on the P12 and in my opinion belong as part of the package.

For example I think the Moog One would have been better off without the built in effects and the budget used for the actual sound generation and not slapping on an eventide box inside.
Old 10th February 2019
  #127
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by A.Damas View Post
Wonder why they are discontinuing it?
It was not a big seller, people wanted to shoehorn this into a classic Prophet or other Analog lead machine instead of using it as the tool it was designed to do. Also the presets are pretty meh as well so it did not sell in addition its a complex instrument where most just are looking for analog vintage instruments. It was not marketed correctly in my opinion.

I call it the "Secret weapon" and it sits well in mixes. I own two myself and very few instruments fall into the must have one in the spares pool category.

It goes well with my Prophet Rev2(16) and Moog Sirin.

A must have set of patches is #1 The GEO patches #2 The additional bank of FM patches released by DSI. GEO should have been hired to create the patches for the P12
Old 11th February 2019
  #128
Lives for gear
 
daviddever's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elsapo2001 View Post
I really don't care about built in effects, why I have a rack of effects and also Apollo X now as well. I prefer to keep them separate, focus on the synth and let the effects be handled by the owner. Now the 4 delays are special on the P12 and in my opinion belong as part of the package.

For example I think the Moog One would have been better off without the built in effects and the budget used for the actual sound generation and not slapping on an eventide box inside.
Off-topic, but the Roland / Studio Electronics SE-02 lives and dies by the built-in (digital) delay IMHO.
Old 12th February 2019
  #129
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by xanderbeanz View Post
John, you have two great ideas there. I’d like to see an extra vibrato LFO, purely Triangle, nothing fancy, with it’s own rate.

Of course, one way to give everyone what they want would be to open-source the software. Users could add features/alternative firmware and decide whether to keep the machine stock or not.
If only.

I wish like mad they'd open source the Tempest.
Old 12th February 2019
  #130
Gear Head
 
DeadDru's Avatar
 

Has anyone here got the LE White edition? I haven't seen any videos of it on YT.

I'd love one, but can't justify the £500 price difference unless there's another price cut
Old 12th February 2019
  #131
Lives for gear
 
John01W's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by xanderbeanz View Post
John, you have two great ideas there. I’d like to see an extra vibrato LFO, purely Triangle, nothing fancy, with it’s own rate.

Of course, one way to give everyone what they want would be to open-source the software. Users could add features/alternative firmware and decide whether to keep the machine stock or not.
Thanks xander, man apologies I missed your reply!
Old 9th April 2019
  #132
Gear Nut
 

Anyone pick up a white one?
Old 18th April 2019
  #133
Lives for gear
 
Polarelch's Avatar
 

So I assume this has the same notorious keybed? Can anybody confirm this?
Old 18th April 2019
  #134
Gear Nut
 
SandyS1's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polarelch View Post
So I assume this has the same notorious keybed? Can anybody confirm this?
I can't confirm, but it's extremely likely. However, I got a replacement keyboard by the same manufacturer and it's MUCH nicer. Not quite Fatar quality, but it feels like a new instrument to play.

IIRC, people who got later ones also reported it felt much better. I'm guessing the manufacturer improved something in their process during the run. Assuming that's true, then these should be the later keybeds.
Old 18th April 2019
  #135
Lives for gear
I bought one month ago and the keyboard velocity was terrible, unusable. Sequential said it was normal. Sent it back. It was one of the last made. So I assume the keyboard is still terrible.
It’s a shame because I wanted so much a Prophet 12.
Now I’m waiting for a new P12 rev2 with s decent keyboard.
Old 18th April 2019
  #136
Gear Head
 
pippi's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEXUS-6 View Post
Meh the wood looks cheap like plywood...


I like it! Its got an IKEA feel LOL...

But I love special edition synth colors- always have! But ironically NEVER willing to pay the premium for it...

I love the synth spa stuff! So big manufacturers doing this is as close as it gets.
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter / Forum
Replies
The Press Desk / Product Alerts older than 2 months
4
ionian / Product Alerts older than 2 months
2
patrickdafunk / Electronic Music Instruments and Electronic Music Production
15
Perplexo / Electronic Music Instruments and Electronic Music Production
0

Forum Jump
Forum Jump