The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
A few Alpha Juno questions Keyboard Synthesizers
Old 1 week ago
  #1
Gear Head
 

A few Alpha Juno questions

Hey there.
I am going to purchase the Alpha Juno 2 but have a few questions as far as integration into my setup. I am planning on using it as a master keyboard and hooking it up to my computer using a midi-usb converter similar to something like this: Guitar Center
I am wondering whether I can set up an arp inside logic, trigger it using the Juno keybed, and feed it back into the synth itself to compensate for the lack of an arpegiator. I am also curious whether I can turn off velocity sensitivity either within logic or within the synth itself. I enjoy the velocity sensitivity aspect, but I also like the off/on vibe of the old junos. Finally, is there any sonic difference between the alpha juno 1/2 besides the velocity sensitivity? Thanks.
Old 1 week ago
  #2
Lives for gear
 

TBH: this is more of a Logic question than a Nuno question.

Everything you ask above IS possible in Ableton Live. I would assume the same is true in Logic, but I have never used it, so I would wait for someone to confirm.

To my knowledge the Juno 1, 2 and MKS-50 are all the same engine.
Old 1 week ago
  #3
Lives for gear
 

each patch allows you to switch off the velocity.
my preference would be the alpha1. then you can get velocity
from it using another keyboard or your sequencer. the alpha2
feels nice, but it's bigger, and there is this thing with velocity.
i don't know if that can be switched off on the keyboard, don't
think so. mks is good too, but you have no interface.
nb: the 'chord' sends out MIDI, that's nice.

yeah you can set up an arpeggiator in software on its midi channel,
and send it back - ah, but you have to set Local Off on the Juno.
used to have: midi in>pg300>alpha1>oberheim cyclone>cubase/atari>
chasing what you describe. it got stuck sometimes. i took out the
cyclone and started using the IPS module as arpeggiator. never was
exactly the same as the banging arp on a juno 60.
Old 1 week ago
  #4
Gear Head
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by babylonpanic View Post
each patch allows you to switch off the velocity.
my preference would be the alpha1. then you can get velocity
from it using another keyboard or your sequencer. the alpha2
feels nice, but it's bigger, and there is this thing with velocity.
i don't know if that can be switched off on the keyboard, don't
think so. mks is good too, but you have no interface.
nb: the 'chord' sends out MIDI, that's nice.

yeah you can set up an arpeggiator in software on its midi channel,
and send it back - ah, but you have to set Local Off on the Juno.
used to have: midi in>pg300>alpha1>oberheim cyclone>cubase/atari>
chasing what you describe. it got stuck sometimes. i took out the
cyclone and started using the IPS module as arpeggiator. never was
exactly the same as the banging arp on a juno 60.
Little bit confused here. If you can turn off velocity on each patch, why would you need to disable velocity sensitivty on the AJ2 keyboard?
Old 1 week ago
  #5
Lives for gear
 
CasimirsBlake's Avatar
 

If you are able to demo the AJ2 first, check that the aftertouch still works, or that even the velocity still works. The latter tends to but the former kinda disappears now that these keybeds are getting so old. Lovely synth though, so proud to have an AJ1.
Old 1 week ago
  #6
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanDiesel View Post
Little bit confused here. If you can turn off velocity on each patch, why would you need to disable velocity sensitivty on the AJ2 keyboard?
um... exactly. so yeah you can have velocity sensitive patches and
non-velocity sensitive ones. or just get an AJ1 and play it from
another keyboard. then you always get the non-vel response unless
you want it. (i just mean i'd prefer the 1 - it's just, you never know,
Roland might've provided for this one the 2)
Old 1 week ago
  #7
Lives for gear
 
maisonvague's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanDiesel View Post
Finally, is there any sonic difference between the alpha juno 1/2 besides the velocity sensitivity? Thanks.
At one time I had all three: the Juno-1, Juno-2 and MKS-50. I could hear no sonic difference between any of them.
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump