The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
KARP Odyssey (Module) - Filter Resonance question... Keyboard Synthesizers
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

KARP Odyssey (Module) - Filter Resonance question...

Hi folks,

I got a Korg ARP Odyssey module back in September.

I'm loving the thing, but I just wanted to confirm with other users if this observed behavior of the filter is 'normal' for this unit.

With filter modes type I and II, I have to seriously crank the resonance before it becomes audible or very usable. It seems like the entire first 50 - 60% of the slider range is essentially useless -- I hear a *little* bit of change as I pass through it, but the resonance doesn't really kick in until the last 25% of the upper range of the slider. This is especially true of Type I, which seems to go from 'very slight resonance' and then suddenly to 'tons of resonance' all within just the last 5% of the slider range.

I find this all a bit odd, frankly. I mostly use soft-synths, and the scaling of resonance seems much more even on most of those compared to this piece of hardware.

Can other owners of a KARP odyssey module confirm if this is 'normal' behavior / how your unit operates as well?

thanks!

-M
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

That's normal.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonwhistle View Post
That's normal.
Absolutely

Of course someone coming form SW will have very different expectations.

The Rez is defo there but does ramp up toward the last 25-30%

F1 is the best of the 3 too, while it takes less time for f3 to oscillate it's also the weakest by far, especially under drive and duress.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie munro View Post
Absolutely

Of course someone coming form SW will have very different expectations.

The Rez is defo there but does ramp up toward the last 25-30%

F1 is the best of the 3 too, while it takes less time for f3 to oscillate it's also the weakest by far, especially under drive and duress.
Yeah, F1 just backed off from self oscillation is by far my favourite for high resonance sounds. 3 is not bad if you need more play in the resonance slider but hot damn, F1 and the drive switch engaged is tasty.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search