The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Sampler Advice Drum Machines & Samplers
Old 5 days ago
Gear Head

Sampler Advice

Hi there,

Just looking for some advice.
I've got a fairly standard recording setup, Guitars, synths, outboard rack gear all running into Logic Pro X. I'm pretty happy with all I've got and get decent results from it. However, I'd like to be able to use samples more in my work. E.g sample records to create loops, beats, be able to time stretch etc. I've been doing it a bit in Logic and can work with loops etc. Now I know most things are possible in Logic but I'm finding working with audio in that way within Logic quite frustrating. It doesn't seem to be geared up for that type of sampling... For example the included EXS24 seems a bit dated and feels more like a sample player rather than a sample manipulator. I've been using the audio editor to time stretch and I can get where I want to be with most things eventually but the workflow isn't pleasant and it feels cumbersome, time consuming and not very 'immediate'. This has led me to start sniffing around some hardware sampler options. My dream unit would be an SP1200. It seems a simple, fun, immediate and very musical bit of kit (the associated heritage and classic status aside). Unfortunately I don't have the 4k sitting around that they currently command! I've always been intrigued by Akai's MPC units. They also seem very musical with a very tried and tested workflow that seems to be fun to use. When I say 'musical' in the context above I mean you can perform with them, easily repitching and triggering samples to create a 'musical' performance. Something that eludes me in Logic.

Is this the road I should be going down? The MPC live seems like a nice option and I could even stretch to the MPC X. But perhaps that's complete overkill to sit one of those next to Logic as it's almost a DAW in itself?

Am I missing a trick in Logic regarding samples? Is there a software option that might be better? Would really appreciate your opinions before I disappear off on what might be an unnecessary and costly gear 'tangent'!!
Old 4 days ago
Here for the gear

The SP1200 was great for it’s time and it does have a pretty intuitive workflow, but it’s shortcomings are substantial. You will hardly have any sample time and very few options for altering samples. If you’re looking for a sampler that can do live manipulation of samples then I’d suggest getting an Octatrack. In my opinion it’s by far the best hardware sampler for instant sample manipulation. It also has a very tactile approach like the sp1200. That being said, both the MPC live and X have plenty of options for sample manipulation, although their ui is so convoluted that many processes involve diving through multiple menus which take you away from a live experience. I could go on and on about what makes either option better but you can get all of this info by reading up on their manuals or watching online tutorials.
Old 4 days ago
Gear Head

Thanks for the info. I wasn’t aware of the Octatrack, I’ll check it out.
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

MPC 4000.

As complicated or simple as you want, in other words you can grow into it & it will be awhile before you hit the ceiling.
Modern enough to use USB to load samples & 10 outputs unlike the live that only has 6.

IMO the SP 1200 is too limiting & the price is sky high...
Old 4 days ago
Was one step away from initiation into the GS Cult of Hardware Sampling for Frustrated PC Users
until
"wasn't aware of Octatrack".

Even brought up the beloved SP.
Wow, so close man...nice try.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search