The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
2nd Monosynth Desktop Synthesizers
Old 5 days ago
Here for the gear

2nd Monosynth

I think I need to add another monosynth to my setup. All I have on those duties at the moment is the Pioneer Toraiz AS-1, which I love, so I really want something to complement that. Something that excels at bass sounds, as I really like the AS-1 for its leads. I’d like to keep it under $500, so the following would be in contention.

Novation Bass Station II
Moog Minitaur
Korg Monologue
Roland Boutique SE-02
Behringer MS-101
Waldorf Pulse II (used)
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

I'd add the Vermona Mono Lancet to that list. Slightly limited, but gorgeous, vaguely "Rolandish" tone that would complement the AS-1 nicely, I think.

There's some glory in this demo right here:

Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

I have the BS2, Minitaur, and Monologue.

With just an AS-1, I would want something to complement it with more knobbier controls, with as little shift pressing and menus as possible. I wouldn't choose a Pulse2 because it is not knobby or particularly beefy.

The Bass Station2 is fantastic and available for peanuts. It was my first synth and I'm biased for sentimental reasons. But I wish it was closer to knob-per-function. If that's not important to you, go for it, you get a nice keybed complete with it.

The B Model D would make a tremendous contrast in sound and interface. No memory or keyboard, but no menus either. Sounds huge and is more versatile than the Minitaur. Of course, if all you need is bass, the Minitaur certainly will deliver the thunder. Either way though, you would now have Prophet flavor and Moog flavor in your arsenal with this AS-1 and Model D or Minitaur combo, allowing you to cover loads of classic territory.

Korg Monologue is a perfect Mono synth for me and the one I use most often. A complete instrument at $300 new that sounds and plays great. Unreal value, awesome controls. To me, this is the best overall choice.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search