The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
How to make the Korg Minilogue sound warmer ? Effects Pedals, Units & Accessories
Old 5 days ago
Here for the gear

How to make the Korg Minilogue sound warmer ?

Hello guys,

I have a Minilogue, and sometimes I feel like the sound could be warmer. I bought sometime ago a delay and reverb pedal, I'm very happy about them.
But what pedal could I buy in order to warm the sound of the Minilogue ?
I'm a newbie in the world of synths
Thanks for your help

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My band : YouTube
Old 5 days ago
Gear Maniac

Chorus pedal!
Old 5 days ago
Yul
Gear Addict

It should be quite warm but you may want to put less resonance and maybe use the 12db filter (2 pole) sometimes it's just what it takes.

If you detune 2nd osc lower by an octave and put a square there the sub should be beefy...

I think also the levels in the mixer have an effect maybe less is more here.

From what I remember when I had it.
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

I lean on effects alot.

Strymon Deco is fantastic for this purpose. So are analog modulation and dirt pedals.

The "studio" section of my profile has several effects pedals that you can check out and research.
Old 5 days ago
Gear Guru

My default warmerator these days is the IK Multimedia Tape Echo plugin. They did a really good job of modeling its preamp stage, so even if you don’t use the delay it gives you a bit o’ magic. If I was totally OTB, I would probably go for a Strymon Deco.
Old 5 days ago
Gear Maniac

I was pretty much 'logged out until I ran it thru a Moog MF-108M analog drive/chorus/flange. That was just what it needed. Drive just enough (with the 'fooger) a Minilog 4-pole Saw/Tri, with slow subtle flange or chorus to open up the sound. Or try what the above poster suggested, or any good patch, thru a similar setup. Either filter can be "warm", with a little help. A Minifooger Drive into a cheap mono-in, stereo-out chorus/flange would be a similar idea but cheaper. Or any analog circuit that can handle the Minilog's signal and be overdriven pleasantly (I don't mean like Tubescreamer overdriven) and then... experiment - try whatever mod fx you can scare up. I bet the DC-2w sounds boss with the 'log.

Things not to remember to forget to try: motion sequencer, small amount of cross-mod (when sync is off), different mixer levels, osc octaves and detuning relative to each other, lower filter rez, and use the LFO. When the Minilog is voiced in Unison, turn the Voice Mode Depth knob clockwise until it gets ugly, then dial it back to taste.
Old 5 days ago
Get an Art Pro Vla II compressor. They have a stereo tube output gain stage. That output can be variably driven however hot you want. It's very "warm" Warmer than my Manley Massive Passive eq believe it or not. Of course it doesn't have the Manley's higher fidelity or it's silky smoothness. Still the Art is excellent for giving warmth and depth (and audible saturation if you want it) You don't have to actually compress with it and will still get that effect, but it's also an excellent compressor as long you won't round and smooth. It doesn't do rough and bright like an 1176. You can also get an Art Pro Vla original version for cheaper but I've never heard one so I can't atest to it's sound. Neither are pedals.

Some people say that running audio through cheap hardware isn't worth it. They are wrong.
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarfishMusic View Post
Get an Art Pro Vla II compressor. They have a stereo tube output gain stage. That output can be variably driven however hot you want. It's very "warm"

Some people say that running audio through cheap hardware isn't worth it. They are wrong.

Man, that VLA2 suggestion is spot on, and I should have thought about it since I own it. I wasn't thinking compressor and my pedal fetish automatically triggered when the question was asked by OP.

I agree wholeheartedly with your ending statement as well.
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Behringer BDI21, cheap as chips.
Old 4 days ago
Yul
Gear Addict

Man this is quite entertaining really how does a 2 vco subtractive synth from a major vendor not sounding warm enough out of the box? Maybe it's just a case of low end speakers or just needing a bit of EQ. Chorus and fuzz could help but really din't think it's necessary! I had the ML and it was really awesome straight out IMO.
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yul View Post
Man this is quite entertaining really how does a 2 vco subtractive synth from a major vendor not sounding warm enough out of the box? Maybe it's just a case of low end speakers or just needing a bit of EQ. Chorus and fuzz could help but really din't think it's necessary! I had the ML and it was really awesome straight out IMO.

Some basic DAW eq is probably all that's needed.
Old 4 days ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by bad andy View Post
Chorus pedal!
+1. When I had a Minilogue I would always pair it with the Maxon CS-550 and it sounded fantastic. Any decent analog chorus will probably do.
Old 4 days ago
Gear Guru

One other thing to think about is that maybe you should accept the Minilogue for what it is and if you’re looking for a warmer character, buy a warmer sounding synth. I’d recommend anything by Vermona. Moog Mother 32 or Grandmother. Boog. Anything by Dreadbox. Anything by Studio Electronics. Any non-Curtis based synth from DSI/Sequential. There are so many good choices for analog warmth these days that it’s kind of a waste of money and time to try to shoe horn a colder sounding analog into that with preamps or effects. Not impossible, but why not start with the sound you want and go from there?
Old 4 days ago
Gear Maniac

I used a fulltone deja vibe for a while, aside from the fore mentioned Moog stuff. It’s a univibe clone.

Also: add in that triangle wave to reinforce that fundamental.

The Minilogue does have a distinctive cut to the core tone, but some pedals suppress it well. The synth is great for times when you want that cut.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search