The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
How Do You Make a Kick Sit/Sound Like This?
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

How Do You Make a Kick Sit/Sound Like This?

Hi,

I'm trying to understand how to make a kick that sounds like the videos I linked below.

Listen to these videos with headphones if you want, I feel the kick translates differently and sounds more focused and you perceive it a little differently...

YouTube <<

YouTube

To me it sounds like a distorted kick with little to no transient. I love the shape and the way it punches through the speaker in a boxy way... I also like how it doesn't sit too low in the mix and really knocks and sounds like a knock that shakes the speakers.

YouTube

^ (THIS ONE IS CLOSE but it doesn't sit as high up and have as strong of a knock as the first video I linked with Justin Beiber. Still dope though.

Side question: YouTube at 1:14 the first kick doesn't have a transient BUT THE KICK that follows has a quick transients that sounds like a ms of a hi hat. Anyone know why they do this? Maybe it was random or by accident or to prevent the transient from clashing with other freq?

Any ideas how to get a similar result? I've tried lots of different samples and saturating/distorting but they never have the right FEELING behind them and punch/freq/shape. I know length is also important, the kick sample sounds really short but long enough for low freq to punch.

Hoping for some help, sorry if this post was a little messy to read.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Mostly good kick selection to begin with, balanced properly with the bass both volume-wise and sidechaining-wise. The Bieber one sounds like its an 808. But could be anything really.

The one at 1:14 is the raw kick, the one following has the hats come in. Sometimes this is just how a kick sounds with the hats used in the track, and other times there's a dedicated top to the kick that's layered over it. Sometimes this top is a clap too, or other percussion sound, sometimes with everything cut out of it but the first transient, so its only a quick "click" sound to make sure the kick has a hit to it in the upper frequencies.

These kinds of kick drum machines really help you see what's going on: KICK 2 | Award Winning Kick Drum Synthesiser

There's the main thump, which tends to be a sine wave with some degree of distortion, and then the click layers on top. The Bieber sounds like there's no click layers, just the thump.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by newguy1 View Post
Mostly good kick selection to begin with, balanced properly with the bass both volume-wise and sidechaining-wise. The Bieber one sounds like its an 808. But could be anything really.

The one at 1:14 is the raw kick, the one following has the hats come in. Sometimes this is just how a kick sounds with the hats used in the track, and other times there's a dedicated top to the kick that's layered over it. Sometimes this top is a clap too, or other percussion sound, sometimes with everything cut out of it but the first transient, so its only a quick "click" sound to make sure the kick has a hit to it in the upper frequencies.

These kinds of kick drum machines really help you see what's going on: KICK 2 | Award Winning Kick Drum Synthesiser

There's the main thump, which tends to be a sine wave with some degree of distortion, and then the click layers on top. The Bieber sounds like there's no click layers, just the thump.
Cool thanks
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

justin bieber and skrillex

i would be embarrassed, by posting such videos and asking for something
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qliphoth View Post

Say what you please about either Justin Bieber's producer or Skrillex, but don't try to claim that they have bad production or can't make a decent kick sound. Honesty, that'd be dumb.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Although it has to be said that Skrillex in that clip is driving in much the same way that he DJs. . .
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:

What's embarrassing is attempting to shame someone into not informing themselves on how some of the biggest tracks in the world are engineered. Education is always a good thing.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:

edgy
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Google "trap punch kick".
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

that's a kick i chose by mistake at like age 17
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike vee View Post
that's a kick i chose by mistake at like age 17
Lol. I've found similar kicks but there is something special about these ones. They are shaped better and have depth and balanced in a really cool way. :-\ idk how to describe it.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search